Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2006, 12:46   #16
BHPian

jesus these 3m guys really do dupe dont they...
i mean even when i asked them about what exactly this teflon coating..
they gave me varied explanations and told me how it will benefit my bike and all crap...
but the basic question remains unanswered..although i found out by other means that...teflon coating is nothin but a was like polish that these ppl give which just gives it shine and a lil protection thats it..and that too for a couple months...
IT IS NOTHING BUT POLISH.. WITH A FEW SYNTHETIC COMPONENTS LIKE TEFLON...thats it...

i would also suggest use carnuba wax polish...and i believe it even stays a loong long time...
Old 4th October 2006, 13:24   #17
BHPian

Guys,

Teflon is a DuPont product - so how come 3M is involved?

Thanks,
-P.
Old 4th October 2006, 15:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar
My question to the 3M guys where is Teflon???? they explained that the entire process is teflon coating. Had a fight but being mw (me=Inherent Higher tolerance level to everything from corruption to injustice to basically every thing chalta hai) just paid up and left the place.
Hi Mate.
Nice experiment there. I think there are many stories around Teflon. Many people might think, they are coating their car with the same material used on non-stick cookware just to make the car non stick and glossy. People buy non stick beofre they buy a car. so pretty easy to impress!!. and these people make money. As i know teflon is some sort of material use in utensils etc and invented by Dupont and melts at very high temperatures. Teflon can be used only under license from Dupont. I think its fooling people around. Even if what they say is really true i haven't seen the so called gloss last for more than couple of months. use that money, get some turtle performance wax, MC1 cloth and a machine cleaner to wax and you will lick your car every time you do it. wonderful product.
Old 4th October 2006, 16:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

My dealer offered me 3M Paint Protection. While this was the name on the company's brochure (and on the promo material all over the service centre because my dealer is also the authorized 3M Car Detailing centre), the service advisor kept calling it 'Teflon Coating'.

After a one-sided arguement on this topic they agreed that it was not 'Teflon Coating', and I paid Rs.3,200/- for this treatment. It does its job well and it comes with 2 more coupons for re-application after 5 and 9 months of the initial coating.

To me it is a sort of car polish with some value addition. Must say it keeps the car glowing. As long as you (or your dealer) is under no illusion that this is 'Teflon Coating' and you are okay with the cost, there is no issue.
Old 4th October 2006, 16:22   #20
BANNED

Guys,

Now stop bickering. Teflon coating is basically a treatment that makes the showroom/workshops rich and you idiots.

Viper

Hey just kidding guys. No offense to anyone.

Last edited by viper : 4th October 2006 at 16:29.
Old 4th October 2006, 17:17   #21
BHPian

TRUE they are duping see my thread on this my exp last week
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...g-fool-wt.html
Old 4th October 2006, 20:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
step 1 Body Wash
Step 2 3m Rubbing compound application with a machine
Step 3 Swirl removal paste with a machine
Step 4 3m Wax Polish hand applied
step 1 Body Wash..you can do it yourself.
Step 2 3m Rubbing compound application with a machine..this is where they use their own product which is not available in the market.
Step 3 Swirl removal paste with a machine...this is the killer. Product name 3M PERFECTIT. Really good stuff but needs machine application.
Step 4 3m Wax Polish hand applied...not a big deal. I do it often.

3M Paint Protection is actually good if you stop at that and not go for coating and what have you.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2006, 08:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
3M Paint Protection is actually good if you stop at that and not go for coating and what have you.[/b]
Actually they did'nt even apply 3m paint protection, anyways the one thing that just kept boncing round my head is your advice,, i was too blinded by the effects that the teflon coating had on my freinds IKON that is still gleaming after 2 years.
Well i think its back to rubbing and scrubbing to keep my baby shining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
After a one-sided arguement on this topic they agreed that it was not 'Teflon Coating', and I paid Rs.3,200/- for this treatment. It does its job well and it comes with 2 more coupons for re-application after 5 and 9 months of the initial coating.
I actually paid only 2500 for the same stuff. They initially offered me the free coupons for 3000 bucks. At the end of it they were refusing to give me a garranty card for the job that's when i started making a ruckus, and just to humor me they offered me these coupons for the 2500 bucks job that they did, it was not a garranty but i had these two free coupons with 3m on it so I just accepted it.

I truly think there is some sort of a coating that's done which is quite similar to lamination, because I see quite a few old cars with this unrealist shine and appears like a think plastic film applied on the paint surface. Any thoughts on this guys...

From the support team: Use bold only to hi-lite text. It's difficult to read a complete para in bold.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th October 2006 at 09:21.
Old 5th October 2006, 08:56   #24
BANNED

Quote:

I truly think there is some sort of a coating that's done which is quite similar to lamination, because I see quite a few old cars with this unrealist shine and appears like a think plastic film applied on the paint surface. Any thoughts on this guys...

Hi,

There is a product doing the rounds of the market which is sold in a blue silver bottle called Teflon by Dupont. That product does seem to work or at least leave your car gleaming for a long while. Had done the same to one of my older cars. What I have observed is that the water tends to slide of the car rather then remain on the surface in dots and water marks were not formed. This was for about 3 months only thereafter I felt that the marks did start reappearing.

The procedure is the same as explained by Rudra(only diff is the brands used) I recommend Simoniz/Turtle Wax/Farecla paste wax. The actual "Teflon coating" is applied after the final shining wax is used. The bottle is sold for Rs600/- in Opera House. One bottle is good for about 8-10 cars
(lancer/honda/toyota size).

The treatment done by a professional which involves full detailed polishing (inside/outside upholstery/top as well) should not cost more than Rs1500/-

Hope that helped.

Viper
Old 18th October 2006, 14:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

I tried waxing once, but I feel that after few days of waxing, it works the other way round. i.e. the dust starts sticking to it rather than slipping away!

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Note: I am using regular turtle wax (green color) as per the instructions given on the box.
Old 18th October 2006, 14:46   #26
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm a paint technologist.

The essential difference between a Teflon coating and a wax polish is that Teflon coating will make your paint last longer. Wax polish, when applied is done so by scrubbing/rubbing, and it essentially takes off a micro layer of the paint and therefore makes it shinier. Teflon coating, as the name implies, adds another layer of surface coating on your car.

How do you shine a Teflon Coating when it is dulled down? Now that is something I dont know!

Let me ask and get back!

Superavi
superavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2006, 15:21   #27
Team-BHP Support

Hey superavi,

3M has another treatment other than tefloncoat called surface refinement. I had mentioned that in another thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/305222-post185.html

Could you please provide us details as to what this exactly is and whether its a polish or a coating.

I have got tefcoat applied once and now am considering surface refinement.
Old 18th October 2006, 18:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive
Thanks V12 , Thats what I was looking for, Another option. You gave one, actually I am also not satisfied by Teflon coating which my friend had done on his car, and was thought Rs4500 is too much for that.

This is some imported product( Thats what they say) but not sure so will do what you have said above.

Regards,
Bhishma Arya
greatdrive, there are quite a few DIY polishes available in the market which you can try before you start spending obscene amounts of money. Formula 1 carnauba wax is what i have found the easiest to try. it is available for around 200 bucks. there are others like turtle wax etc. why dont you try one of them first ?

p.s. but do what you may, the satisfaction will never last long. dark colours on cars look good, but very very very difficult to clean & maintain. you will never be satisfied with the regular clean.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 18th October 2006 at 18:10.
Old 18th October 2006, 20:26   #29
BHPian

Guys,
I think this is the nth thread on the topic, and I guess there was a common consensus that teflon coating as sold by the market is just hogwash,

what 3m offered to me as teflon coating is a good rubbing and polishing, Rule of thumb if some one is saying that it requires a second coat in 6th month or so then you can be sure you are getting gyped and not getting teflon.

I am yet to see some one who has applied a another layer on the paint surface.

I totally respect rudra sen's opinion on this and regret going ahead with a teflon coating
Old 24th May 2007, 19:16   #30
BHPian

I have get Teflon coating done on my new Wagon R LXi during first service, and they have charged me Rs.2600, and will do two coatings more during next two years, all included in this price only. Car is shining now, but I don't know how long it will last..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks