Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 11:13   #61
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Teflon a real eyewash

I agree with a few others who have posted. A so-called teflon coat is a mere gimmick and is not what the dealer makes it seem. The claims of warranties attached to it do not hold water.

I purchased a new Alto LXi in May and the dealer offered this coating for free. I saw it being applied and it was nothing but some polish being buffed with some orbital polishers.

For long term shine and gloss, I recommend the caranuba car wax. You'll have to re-apply it often depending on the weather conditions, but it sure is worth it.

Bottom line, if you are getting the teflon coating for free, then go for it, else no point wasting your money.

Cheers!
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2008, 17:34   #62
BHPian

I have been reading about this teflon coating gimmick for quite sometime on this forum.As many have said in this and various posts in this forum nobody knows anything about teflon coating other than in india.I have even understood what they do is apply some polish n rubbing compound buffed up by a machine.My take on this even if given free reject and ask for something else for the price of this or take cash discount for the amount.A wax polish is worth the money n effort to keep your car shining and clean
Old 18th August 2008, 11:14   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
How long do the effects of an Anti-Rust Coating stay?
6 months to 1 year. If the coat is of good quality or else maximum 3 months.
Old 18th August 2008, 11:29   #64
BHPian

I have had owned different cars - with or without Teflon coating. Teflon coating "prevents" your car from paint from minor scratches but the coating goes off due to different climatic conditions after 4 months - 6 months. After that you usually get one or two free services that helps to bring back the effect again. After the free services are over, you need to maintain the coating by paying Rs.900( price charged by Lexus Motors, Kolkata ) to keep the effect lasting. It is useful when maintained, but if you don't maintain this coating your initial investment will be useless.

Once your car gets scratched, you can't make it look good as new. I beleive in the theory " Prevention is better than cure " and that's why I use the coating. Now it's up to you to decide.
Old 18th August 2008, 11:35   #65
BHPian

The compound with which they polish the car is known as "Teflon". That's why they call it Teflon coating. I don't know about it's chemical composition. What I found out is that Teflon applies a new clear coating over the existing paint. Thus when with Teflon minor scratches are prevented because the coating gets scratched, and not the paint.

Wax Polish : A paint usually looses it' shine when dirt and grease settle over it. Wax Polish does nothing but removes the layer of dirt and grease that had been formed.

I came to know about this from a paint expert at Tata Body Workshop. I am still trying to get some of the compound named Teflon with which they polish. If I get hold of it, I will apply the coating myself from now on.
Old 6th October 2008, 05:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Is this any good?

Jewelultra | Diamondbrite Paint and Fabric Protection For Your Vehicle

GM (Vijai Motors) is offering it in Bangalore, but they are quoting two price bands for a guarantee of one year and three years respectively. I'm pretty sure the product itself is good, but also quite sure that these dealers will try and fleece one for near nothing as often as possible.

I have a black Spark LT (No OP), and am quite keen on preserving its current gloss.
Old 6th October 2008, 08:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

I had put Teflon on my Zen during delivery and had that car for three years. I did not put Teflon on my next car - Esteem.
Having seen both the worlds - I think Teflon does make a difference in terms of rust protection. It's not so much the scratch protection property that's important to me but Teflon's rust protection is good. So if you are buying a car like Maruti where the paint quality is suspect I would advise go for Teflon right in the beginning - but don't expect it will keep your car shiny forever, that's not the principal reason for putting Teflon.
By the way Teflon is manufactured by an American company called Dupont. And 3M is a different company that has something similar to Teflon. These two companies are two of the world's top most patent owners in new materials and very well respected globally. So I doubt they will sell any scam kind of product. But many dealers here cheat us and give us something else while claiming to put Teflon. For that DuPont should not be held directly responsible.
Sudipto

PS: Dirty black/dark coloured car owners - please clean the duster with which you clean your car. Don't give your car a daily shower in the morning unless there is a lot of visible mud. The cloth that you use for such cleaning and drying will put all the scratches.
Old 6th October 2008, 08:17   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that polishing it once a week is the answer to preserving its gloss!

Teflon was the original 'non-stick pan' surface. Maybe it's still used, I don't know (I don't like 'non-stick' pans), but the original generation was very fragile; only to be used with wood or plastic utensils. It is slippery: the idea is that dirt doesn't stick to it and that, when it does, it washes off easily. It should also repel water.

It does not at all protect from scratches. It is such a thin layer (molecular, maybe, I'm not a scientist) that it just would not notice in terms of a scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel12345
Wax Polish : A paint usually looses it' shine when dirt and grease settle over it. Wax Polish does nothing but removes the layer of dirt and grease that had been formed.
That is what shampoo is supposed to do, not wax polish! The wax polish is supposed to fill very very small abrasions, and leave a smooth surface on the paint. The layers of wax can build up, and ultimately dull the surface, then it needs more aggressive cleaning to get back to the paint, when the polishing can start again. Wax also repels water.

Or so they tell me: I can barely remember the last time I polished a car, and I wouldn't wash them very often either if I didn't live in a high-dust area.

I'm not impressed with teflon, as allegedly applied to my Swift; I don't think it has any effect ---but I guess I'd have to have one without to be sure.

Latest thing I've heard of is Nano Protect, Nano-technology. Have a go with Google, I don't have any links to hand. This is (it seems), sub-molecular technology to protect surfaces from dirt, and, where appropriate, water-proof them also. Available for glass, paint, stainless steel, concrete... but available in India? I don't think so. I think it will be expensive too.

But I am a sucker for anything that makes hard work unnecessary, and would certainly be trying it on the car, the stainless cooker top, the shower tiles...

Hey! When you've got NanoProtect, everything looks like ...a surface to be nano-protected.

But I don't have it, and am unlikely to be leaving the country until next summer.

<added...>
Quote:
Having seen both the worlds - I think Teflon does make a difference in terms of rust protection. It's not so much the scratch protection property that's important to me but Teflon's rust protection is good. So if you are buying a car like Maruti where the paint quality is suspect I would advise go for Teflon right in the beginning - but don't expect it will keep your car shiny forever, that's not the principal reason for putting Teflon.
Interesting, and could well be right.

And many of the scuffs and scratches on paintwork come from the sponges and cloths with which they are cleaned. By the time you've trained your driver/cleaner it is too late: the damage is already done.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th October 2008 at 08:22.
Old 6th October 2008, 09:08   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Is this any good?

Jewelultra | Diamondbrite Paint and Fabric Protection For Your Vehicle

GM (Vijai Motors) is offering it in Bangalore, but they are quoting two price bands for a guarantee of one year and three years respectively. I'm pretty sure the product itself is good, but also quite sure that these dealers will try and fleece one for near nothing as often as possible.

I have a black Spark LT (No OP), and am quite keen on preserving its current gloss.
Looked at this website and they show it as an additional layer of something, (a polymer?). They are claiming a guarantee of 6 years but why only 3 years by this dealer?

Also I have seen someone here mention a shop in Malleswaram which is Dupont authorised which does dupont (inventor of teflon) coating for cars, any one have any experience with this product?
Old 30th October 2008, 17:16   #70
BHPian

Still there is no final conclusion. Some say it benifited them some say it didnt. However there are comments from some that it benefited with good shine, prevented from very minor may be hair line scratches, and also helped clean the car fast and also prevented from rust, but there is not a single comment as far as i understood from the thread about any harm caused by teflon to the car body paint.

Any inputs on the same would be appreciated if anyone has heard or had a bad experience on their car body paint due to teflon coating.
Old 31st October 2008, 10:56   #71
BHPian

tush, I dont think that teflon will cause damage to the car. I think many prefer to utilize the money spent on teflon coating on something else
Old 31st October 2008, 17:29   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
tush, I dont think that teflon will cause damage to the car.
It can, actually. My Esteems entire roof + part of the bonnet looked horrible after the teflon coating cracked / fragmented. Reason? Long parking hours under the sun.

Teflon is useless. Wax your cars ever so often instead.
Old 31st October 2008, 18:11   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It can, actually. My Esteems entire roof + part of the bonnet looked horrible after the teflon coating cracked / fragmented. Reason? Long parking hours under the sun.

Really!!! Wow. Never knew that could happen. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 1st November 2008, 23:53   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Thank you for the feebback GTO, however i am still not convinced because the feedback has to be from more people only then can we justify that teflon also does harm. There is nothing personal on my side about teflon but everyother car owner that i meet has done teflon coating. And when asked they say it protects the car paint. Now for me opinions on Team-Bhp are the real once and hence i have yet not seen people coming up with negative feedback like what you experienced GTO. Quantity of negative feedback can justify that yes it is a real harm.

My car Swift DDIS which i no longer have it and is lying under dispute, which you can check from my thread, had also teflon coating done however i was not aware and had not gone through any thread about teflon coating and hence it was done to my car. Car was with me for 5-6 months and i didnt make out any unpleasant feeling on the body paint of the car. May be i am not expert enough on that. The car was washed by my society watchman with a cotton cloth and Municipal Corporation water. Yes i did see very very few scratches on the engine hood(bonet), they were hair line thin and also the metal had got uneven surface here and there a little which could be seen only at a certain angle, was it because of teflon?

The dealership people said there is nothing wrong.

Last edited by tush : 2nd November 2008 at 00:04.
Old 2nd November 2008, 07:11   #75
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

I'm sure if Vitesse knew you well, or knew that so many thousands of people will no longer use Teflon (your experience is key - my car will suffer in same conditions), then they'd have given you monthly re-coats

Small mistake for Vitesse, big screwup for the Teflon industry

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks