Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 15:34   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
I spend another Rs.7000/00 and got Laquor coating done.
This is something new to me. Can you kindly educate me as to what it does
Old 14th September 2009, 19:11   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ 3M Cleaner+Polish+WaxCoat !!! So if this is what they are doing on a new car, they are harming it! A new car should not be polished!
A new car can be polished depending upon what it went through during transit and stored in an open stock yard, how it was cleaned and de waxed by the PDI!

i can with my experience every single car sold in india has swirl marks on it, you can see them while you are taking the delivery of the vehicle!

an appeal to fellow forum member:

STOP BEING CONNED BY PEOPLE SELLING YOU TEFLON COATING!

even if you are offered, just ask them to show you the products being used and the process to use them!

note down the product name, their website and get informed about the product before going back again to buy the product!
Old 14th September 2009, 21:27   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there is some terminology problem.

I can appreciate the definition of polishing as being an abrasive process, as in polishing out scratches, which really means to remove the surface around the scratch down to same level, so the scratch is no longer there.

When I used to make jewellery (just a hobby) I used to rationalise polishing my work as putting ever-finer scratches, each one removing the previous courser scratches, until the piece had no visible scratches left. In the process through files and sandpapers to buffing wheel, up to the final rouge wheel, which burnishes, everything is abrasion --- and is costing you metal, as well, if you have worked carelessly and have deep scratches to "remove"

However, a wax polish should not be abrasive. It produces shine by filling imperfections to give a smooth surface, and addsa smooth layer overall to give shine. Of course that shine is not permanent, and the wax must be re-applied.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:09   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ 3M Cleaner+Polish+WaxCoat !!! So if this is what they are doing on a new car, they are harming it! A new car should not be polished!
True, the cotton that I used for polishing turned green within seconds (My cielo is Dark Green), that means a layer of paint is gone.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:18   #125
Senior - BHPian

^^^ But I have a doubt - shouldn't it be a layer of clear coat that will be abraded? Then how come you guys are actually seeing colour, which is below the clear coat, on the cloth? Any explaination anybody?
Old 17th September 2009, 13:47   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Metalic, pearl, and generally more expensive finishes will have a clear final coat, but this is not at all the case wit ordinary solid colours.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:37   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
This is something new to me. Can you kindly educate me as to what it does
They rub the shine off the paint and the Teflon polish ( not noticable difference ). Then the parts such as the rubber beading, Glasses, Head Lights, Tail Lights etc are masked and a very thin coating of lacquer is sprayed on the car a few times. When the coating is dry the car is baked in a temperature controlled chamber for about 24 hours to harden the lacquer. This seals in the shine of the paint. Small scratches etc will be only on the coating.

If I remember correctly its the same lacquer which is used to spray on the printed circuit boards to make them weather proof.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:02   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
If I remember correctly its the same lacquer which is used to spray on the printed circuit boards to make them weather proof.
Thanks a ton for the clarification
Old 26th December 2009, 11:25   #129
Senior - BHPian

Going through all the Teflon post for my new fiesta, one of my friend recommended me to go for a Eagle wax polish instead of Teflon.
Any comments?
Old 28th December 2009, 08:49   #130
Senior - BHPian

I Bought a Pidilite Body wax for my fiesta, will do a self coating of wax polish instead of the teflon.
Old 28th December 2009, 14:17   #131
BHPian

I turtle wax for my car now it refuses to come off completely even after a month...
What is the correct way to use wax? Please someone explain in detail

Last edited by physicspsyche : 28th December 2009 at 14:28.
Old 28th December 2009, 15:00   #132
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicspsyche View Post
I turtle wax for my car now it refuses to come off completely even after a month...
What is the correct way to use wax? Please someone explain in detail
There are several videos on youtube- do check them out. Else go to meguiars website and go to training videos.
What do you mean that the wax refuses to come out? If you wash it with a good car shampoo, surely the wax would come off...i used and it did not even last a week!!! Wonder what magic turtle wax is this
Old 29th December 2009, 12:38   #133
Senior - BHPian

^^^ The shine definitely lasts longer than a week for my bikes. I'd say about a month. Depends on usage, I guess...
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:31   #134
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I just went to the GM dealer in Delhi. These guys are using "3M Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover" which they call Teflon. I was shocked to learn this !.

Regards,
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:19   #135
BHPian

Teflon coating is a scam.

Teflon

Polytetrafluoroethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PTFE or Teflon the name given to this chemical by Dupont its inventor has a melting temperature of a minimum of 327 degrees centigrade. At this temperature most paints will be destroyed. Car paints will be history. The only way to apply a coat on any surface is to melt PTFE. So go figure. Do not be fooled into this TEFLON scam. Go to the Dupont site where they expressly warn you against these scams.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks