Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 14:42   #46
BHPian

Swift Problem resolved !!!

problem resolved of my Swift today !!!

I took my car to my good old trusted mechanic instead of MASS. He finished his work in 2 hours flat. He did following

1. Changed oil (Castrol mineral 20W40, 3.5 liter @ 750 Rs).
When I asked him about engine flush using flush oil, he told me that
"saab, gadi naya hai to iska jarurat nahi hai. engine flush se compression mar khayega aur leak problem bhi ho sakta hai"

Later I did some search on team-bhp and it seems that it makes sense. This old man knows better for sure.

2. He tightened some belt below front right tyre (sorry dont know what it is called) for the noise that was coming when my swift ran over a huge speedbraker.

3. Cleaned spark plugs, air filter and replaced oil filter
4. He also greased steering column. In the morning I used to get some faint noise for first 5 minutes.

5. He also tightened caliper assembly and checked bushing etc.

When I asked him about installing K&N filter, he said "ye sub amir logo ke khel hai. Maruti ne jo diya hai woh gadi ke hisab se achha hi hai. Bus regularly badalte rehna............."

When I asked him about regular or speed petrol, he said
"saab ye muze kuch pata nahi kya farak padega. dono dalke aap hi dekh lo gadi kis petrol pe smooth hai...."

My Swift is now super smooth, literally no noise in the cabin....almost like a butter.
I am in love with her again :-)

-Abhay

Last edited by abhaybakshi : 17th September 2009 at 14:46.
Old 18th September 2009, 07:24   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

So what did point #2 entails is a mystery. All other were not connected to your problem and your problem is intermittent. How come after a smallish service you feel that the problem is gone and it is not an intemittent gone away stage??

CONJECTURE:
Great respect for experienced mechanics but "uska chela ban kar" you also need to know what was it that removed the problem. AFAIK there is no belt in the area described as below front right tyre but inside yes. After removing the tyre you see the fan belt, a/c belt and if you remove those and the pulleys and the cover you will access the cam-belt.

So which of these was the probelem? For the first two it would be possible to check from the open bonnet if they were loose and tighten them without removing the tyre. But these would not hive given rise to symptoms described. At worst a slipping fan belt would have menat elevated engine temparatures leading to radiator blow. That has not been felt.

BUT if it was the last then yes tyre has to be removed and here the culprit is either the idler pulley or the "toothed" timing belt. For a three year old car either could have be a problem.

Curious to know the final reason.
Old 18th September 2009, 23:34   #48
BHPian

Hello Abhay,
Can you pls share the contact details for this mechanic (assuming to be in Pune)? I agree on the MASS vs road side mechanic. I just believe that at MASS, the stress might be bit more on 'turn over' that building relationships.

Also, pls share the total spare+labour costs

Regards
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Hello Abhay,
Can you pls share the contact details for this mechanic (assuming to be in Pune)? I agree on the MASS vs road side mechanic. I just believe that at MASS, the stress might be bit more on 'turn over' that building relationships.

Also, pls share the total spare+labour costs

Regards
Naren, it is at Chinchwad near to Birla hospital. Ask for lucky garage. It is just besides the bridge on the river.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:47   #50
BHPian

Re: Swift Problem resolved !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
problem resolved of my Swift today !!!

I took my car to my good old trusted mechanic instead of MASS. He finished his work in 2 hours flat. He did following

1. Changed oil (Castrol mineral 20W40, 3.5 liter @ 750 Rs).
When I asked him about engine flush using flush oil, he told me that
"saab, gadi naya hai to iska jarurat nahi hai. engine flush se compression mar khayega aur leak problem bhi ho sakta hai"

Later I did some search on team-bhp and it seems that it makes sense. This old man knows better for sure.

2. He tightened some belt below front right tyre (sorry dont know what it is called) for the noise that was coming when my swift ran over a huge speedbraker.

3. Cleaned spark plugs, air filter and replaced oil filter
4. He also greased steering column. In the morning I used to get some faint noise for first 5 minutes.

5. He also tightened caliper assembly and checked bushing etc.

When I asked him about installing K&N filter, he said "ye sub amir logo ke khel hai. Maruti ne jo diya hai woh gadi ke hisab se achha hi hai. Bus regularly badalte rehna............."

When I asked him about regular or speed petrol, he said
"saab ye muze kuch pata nahi kya farak padega. dono dalke aap hi dekh lo gadi kis petrol pe smooth hai...."

My Swift is now super smooth, literally no noise in the cabin....almost like a butter.
I am in love with her again :-)

-Abhay

Are you talking about the Alternator or the AC Compressor belt? Did anyone figure out?
Old 11th June 2012, 13:01   #51
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift Problem resolved !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
Are you talking about the Alternator or the AC Compressor belt? Did anyone figure out?
Yes he seems to be talking about the belts being tightened.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:16   #52
BHPian

Re: Strange problem with my petrol Swift. EDIT : NOW SOLVED

Hi guys,

Was unable to find an apporpriate thread, so posting this here.

I purchased my Swift VXi in November of 2018 from Vitesse at Prabhadevi, Mumbai.

After the 15k km service, the car returned with an extremely weird problem, as detailed below.

The revs of the car build steadily till 2000 RPM, at which point, the RPM shoots to between 4000-4500, without the car going anywhere at all. It's a 5-speed manual car, but this problem occurs in every gear, even in 5th and the instrument cluster shows the car the 'upshift' logo even when in 5th (extremely weird for me).

What could the problem be? The tire pressures are proper, I fill from 2 or maybe 3 highly trusted petrol pumps and the car is serviced at the correct intervals of 5k km at the authorized MASS.

It has become annoying, to the point where a few days back, as I was out for an emergency purpose, the car started giving up gears and I fear the worst - that the clutch is completely shot. I limped home with my ride and she is in warranty, but I don't know the problem and I don't know if I can trust Vitesse or MASS with the actual issues in the car.

Vitesse has asked me to bring the car in for a once over tomorrow and if the clutch has a 'manufacturing defect', they will replace it under warranty. But how do I know the manufacturing defect is present or not?

Would REALLY HIGHLY appreciate help on this.

NOTE TO MODS: Please move to any relevant thread, as required. Sorry for posting this randomly.
Old 8th August 2020, 20:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taronish_E View Post

After the 15k km service, the car returned with an extremely weird problem, as detailed below.

The revs of the car build steadily till 2000 RPM, at which point, the RPM shoots to between 4000-4500, without the car going anywhere at all. It's a 5-speed manual car, but this problem occurs in every gear, even in 5th and the instrument cluster shows the car the 'upshift' logo even when in 5th (extremely weird for me).
Hi, I'm not sure if this helps in your case, but I had the exact same problem in my Wagon R LXI after servicing . The issue was Throttle Body positioning sensor. The vehicle used to revv excessively sometimes or used to stall or wouldn't idle properly. I immediately took it to the same M.A.S.S where I got my servicing done and they told that there was water seepage while cleaning / spraying the engine bay. They cleaned it and adjusted the throttle body and it solved the issue.

P.S: LXI doesn't come with a tachometer, so I'm not sure if it revved till 5k or 4k but I'm pretty sure the revving was much more than desired and inconsistent in idling. After this incident I decided to add a tachometer and saw DIY tachometer installation thread in this forum and added a 3 cylinder Maruti A-star tacho in my Wagon R.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 21:02   #54
BHPian

Re: Strange problem with my petrol Swift. EDIT : NOW SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Hi, I'm not sure if this helps in your case, but I had the exact same problem in my Wagon R LXI after servicing . The issue was Throttle Body positioning sensor. The vehicle used to revv excessively sometimes or used to stall or wouldn't idle properly. I immediately took it to the same M.A.S.S where I got my servicing done and they told that there was water seepage while cleaning / spraying the engine bay. They cleaned it and adjusted the throttle body and it solved the issue.

P.S: LXI doesn't come with a tachometer, so I'm not sure if it revved till 5k or 4k but I'm pretty sure the revving was much more than desired and inconsistent in idling. After this incident I decided to add a tachometer and saw DIY tachometer installation thread in this forum and added a 3 cylinder Maruti A-star tacho in my Wagon R.

Hello,

Thanks for your help! I shall be going to an independent garage next week for a full mechanical health inspection as I just do NOT trust MASS to do the work properly.

Will update here with the solution once I have it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks