Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 14:12   #1
BHPian

Strange problem with my petrol Swift. EDIT : NOW SOLVED

Dear All,

My Swift (LXi) will be 3 tomorrow and as I celebrate her birthday, I have few questions.

She has been a mixed bag so far with 80% of satisfaction and 20% of discomfort (I am not saying problems)

Query
====
1. My car behaves like a sine wave. That is, she is ultra smooth for 2-3 days in a week as far as engine firing is concerned. Pickup is very nice (even if tyre pressure is bit low). Now this is really hard to describe but it feels like a butter to drove my Swift :-).

But suddenly these good times are over, almost surely on the 3rd day, I can see the she just drags on the road (I travel 11+11 KM on good road to office everyday). The pickup is gone and it feels a bit like I have to rev the engine to move ahead. Surprisingly, I can hear engine noise now in the cabin (I always drove with all windows closed and no AC except summer).

One more observation - If I dont drive my car on weekends then on Monday she is back to nice and lovely darling ! (till Tuesday)

I know, this may seem stupid to some but I swear it happens like that all the time...

Any thoughts on this ? I have been servicing my car regularly as per schedule and odo shows 40K till date.

Should I try installing K&N filter ?
synthetic oil ?

Please help.

Regards,
Abhay Bakshi
Old 9th August 2009, 14:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Do a complete tune up of the engine, including valve clearance set. Check air filter, plugs and petrol filter. Also how is the clutch? Hope you have ruled out bad fuel from the equation.
Old 10th August 2009, 01:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post

One more observation - If I dont drive my car on weekends then on Monday she is back to nice and lovely darling ! (till Tuesday)
Looks like a issue with some electronic part, the days you don't drive it gets resets and gets back to life.
Can be fuel pump too.
Take it to a service station where they could check the ECU readings.
Old 10th August 2009, 07:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think it is to do with ECU and other related electronics. Suggest taking it to the workshop and getting the car checked with the scanner.
Old 10th August 2009, 07:41   #5
BHPian

I smell some adulteration in the Fuel. Get it refueled from good petrol pumps. Try only the same petrol (if you were using Speed earlier use Speed again at a different pump)

Get the air filters Cleaned.
Get the Spark Plugs cleaned and if necessary get it changed.
Get all the electrical wirings tightened (Plug it out and put it back)
Are you ensuring that you have the right Air Pressure in car Tires at all times.
Observe your Dashboard Console, check if you see anything abnormal.
Also get your engine compartment Air pressure washed. (No water)

Do you feel the same when driving with AC?

Thats all I can think off..

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 10th August 2009 at 07:42. Reason: Forgot to mention Air Cleaning
Old 10th August 2009, 11:29   #6
gpa
Senior - BHPian

From what you have mentioned, it does look like a fuel feed problem. If you have been constantly filling in adulterated fuel, your fuel filter could be choked leading to fuel feed problems that is leading to the loss of power that you mentioned.

How many miles has your car covered on the ODO? Has the car had a change of spark plugs recently?
Old 10th August 2009, 11:59   #7
BHPian

Check your tyre pressures. I have observed some drag when the tyre pressures are even slightly less. If there is moisture in the tyres the pressure can vary a lot based on the weather. Even if one of the tyres has less pressure it can produce drag.

Do you feel any difference in response if fuel tank is full versus when it is near empty? I have felt some difference in response when I had to mix fuel from different pumps. Empty your tank and fill from a reputed petrol pump.

Also, you need to rev the engine once in a while. Try revving to 5-6K once in a while. Being in the correct gear helps too.
Old 29th August 2009, 17:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I think it is to do with ECU and other related electronics. Suggest taking it to the workshop and getting the car checked with the scanner.
I will do this tomorrow and will chek again.
Old 30th August 2009, 00:30   #9
BHPian

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but the petrol Swift completely goes to seed with prolonged city use. A couple of highway runs and everything goes back to normal. I have experienced this many times. The engine seems to be at its best when run hard.
Also, adulterated fuel seems to be a contributing factor in abhaybakshi's case.
My suggestion: Tank up with Shell super and take her to the Pune-Mumbai expressway.

Last edited by Roy.S : 30th August 2009 at 00:33.
Old 30th August 2009, 00:56   #10
BHPian

+1, I topped up my Santro with shell super and traveled about 40kms of highway at an avg. speed of 70, Since then my car is butter smooth. I noticed a significant gain in power and pick up too.
Its just like blowing your nose to breathe easily

Last edited by akshay_b : 30th August 2009 at 00:57.
Old 30th August 2009, 13:07   #11
BHPian

Check your battery abhay, have it thoroughly checked, as well as the charging circuit, alternator etc.

cheers
M
Old 30th August 2009, 13:43   #12
BHPian

I agree fully with Roy.S - I have done about 60k on my Vxi till date, bought in March 06. Mostly run in Pune city, I have also experienced the same phenomenon as Ajay. At times it almost seems the Car is having a bad-hair day. But once you let it rip for a while on a nice highway, you can feel her shrugging off the lethargy and getting back to its revving best. And, it is not just about the Driver's perception. Wonder why it happens though. I have maintained fuel integrity throughout till now, and no maintenance neglected either.
Old 30th August 2009, 13:57   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

one more thing on the Swift - adjusting the tappets - I was told this.
must try it.

even our swift feels increasingly displeased whenever I drive it around in the city.

feels as if it is choking - we put a K&N stock air filter some time ago and it is not clogged or anything. but it still feels as if the car has breathing trouble.

wonder why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I don't know if I'm imagining this, but the petrol Swift completely goes to seed with prolonged city use. A couple of highway runs and everything goes back to normal. I have experienced this many times. The engine seems to be at its best when run hard.
Also, adulterated fuel seems to be a contributing factor in abhaybakshi's case.
My suggestion: Tank up with Shell super and take her to the Pune-Mumbai expressway.
Old 30th August 2009, 14:19   #14
BANNED

Same problem in my swift zxi too its 2 yrs old now. I ve checked everything from engine oil(now using mobil1 fully synth) , sparkplugs, airfilter(green CAI) ,battery ,clutch , fuel pump almost everything even tried with shell fuel so many time but it still happens hav to get the ecu checked. Same thing if the car has not been used for a day the next day it runs like a dream but after 2 or 3 days same irritating feeling. All this while i thought it was just in my head after getting fed up but now seeing so many people facing this i feel there is something really wrong with the car or the car was made like that.
Old 30th August 2009, 17:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

It could also be that a particular batch of cars made during the same time may be having these problems. I suggest you escalate this to Maruti Folks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks