Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 16:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Endeavour's got a clutch prob within 6 months..can i claim for a warranty ??

Guys it would be helpful if i could know whether i would get a warranty for my Ford Endeavour which has just done 37,500 Kms and i bought it just 6 months back..Just 2 weeks back there has been a burning smell emanating from the engine compartment(My gear shifts all fall in place properly though).Anyways i had gone to my Ford service center and the mechanics there told me that the entire clutch base had to be replaced and told me that it would cost 25,000 Rs approx.

Now my doubt is..1) Can't i claim for warranty in this case
2) Even if the clutch base has to be replaced will it really cost so much considering the fact that the price for spare parts for Ford this year have reduced drastically(Last year the clutch plate costed 26,500 Rs and this year it's been reduced to 9,050 Rs).
3)I haven't asked them for a complete breakdown of the price for the parts because they told me that it would take 15 days to get the parts and maybe if i enquired now they would still further delay the arrival of parts.

Any input from you guys would be helpful.Thanks.
Old 29th August 2009, 17:41   #2
BHPian

If it's still under warranty, you can definitely claim.When you went to the service centre did you inform them that its still under warranty?
Old 29th August 2009, 17:48   #3
bhp
BHPian

the clutch doesnt come under warranty and it s not about when you got the car but how many kms that you have clocked till date which i think its too high in your case and looks very difficult that Ford will even consider it in warranty as a exceptional case...best of luck
Old 29th August 2009, 18:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think 37,500 Kms is very high..coz the warranty is for 1,00,000 Kms or 2 years whichever comes first..and yeah i told them i was under warranty and they told me that warranty does not cover the clutch problem..and i really dont expect any exception from them..just wanted to know if it was covered or not..so does anyone know how much it actually costs for replacing the clutch base in an endeavour coz i dont want to be cheated by those guys..
Old 29th August 2009, 22:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is costly when you compare with 10-20lac range cars. Maybe Skoda will beat you there

IIRC, clutch MAY come under warranty provided its within so and so kilometers. Check your manual.
Old 29th August 2009, 22:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

A close friend's Endy TDCi clutch burnt out at 10k km (after less than 6 months of use) last year, and the dealer refused to cover it under warranty. The whole job including clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel worked out to @ 1.10L INR. Fortunately, it was his company car and he didn't have to fork the amount out of his own pocket.

If there's been a reduction in spares costs as you say, I would still expect a bill of not less than 50k.
Old 30th August 2009, 00:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks JKDAS i will take a look at the manual tomorro..SS-T you're scarin me now pal..then i guess 25K is an ok estimate by my dealer coz he told me i just had to change the clutch base which includes the clutch plate and some springs and bolts etc..so maybe i'm lucky its not as bad as your friends Endy..Anyways i'll wait for the spares next week and find out the actual cost..
Old 30th August 2009, 06:49   #8
BANNED

At 37,500 Kms it is extremely difficult to get it replaced in warranty .Also the problem is there after a long time and since it is a wear and tear item i guess Ford will refuse free replacement. Also the 1 L Km warranty is not on many items such as brake pads , Bulbs ,tyres , clutch etc , It is more on the gearbox mechanical and engine if i recall correctly with most manufacturers. Anyways may be you can push them and you might just be lucky.
Old 30th August 2009, 08:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If there's been a reduction in spares costs as you say, I would still expect a bill of not less than 50k.
He has already been quoted about 25K, so spare part cost have come down.
Old 30th August 2009, 10:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
...it would take 15 days to get the parts
Since Ford spares are sourced ex-Chennai, 15 days seems too long a time to get them at Kanyakumari (that's your vehicle location too, stanjohn123, isn't it?). A quick email to Ford should speed up things a bit. My friend's parts came in within 4-5 days to Delhi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
He has already been quoted about 25K, so spare part cost have come down.
Yes, but then it seems they haven't quoted for a flywheel, which was required for the friend's car.
Old 30th August 2009, 20:54   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's not uncommon for a clutch to completely wear out in 37 - 40K (though still on the lower side, blame our driving habits!) Nope, Ford is not going to cover the clutch under warranty.

Simple question : You've driven about 6,000kms per month! That kind of high running usually consists of highway driving. Highway driving = less frequent gear changes (compared to the city). How then did you manage to fry your clutch to soon?
Old 30th August 2009, 23:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Umm, not really. That usually blows up the gearbox. You might have rested your foot on the clutch, thereby slipping it for extended durations. That would certainly do it. Although if you did shift without using the clutch, get the gearbox changed while the car is at the workshop. It will give way soon.

After all, you risked everything by drinking and driving. A new gearbox is a small price to pay...
Old 31st August 2009, 00:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

You're right immortalz i think that's what would have happened..coz i don't have any problem with my gearbox and the mechanics at the service centre also didn't find any prob with the gearbox...gears r all fallin in place properly..guess i left the clutch pressed too long..Next time i gotta be more careful i guess..
Old 31st August 2009, 00:43   #14
BHPian

@ stanjohn,

While booking my Fiesta, Ford dealer gave me the booklet which has the extract from 'spare parts price guide' carried in March 2009 issue of Autocar, it clearly mention the price of 'clutch and pressure plate' Rs. 9049.79 and price of 'clutch release bearing' Rs. 1948.62. Even if it is not covered under warranty and if you add labour charges, why they are charging Rs. 25000/-
Old 31st August 2009, 08:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@rajeshvin:

The cost of the Endy's clutch and pressure plate is probably higher than the Fiestas.

@stanjohn:

It is unusual for the clutch to burn out this early. It is very unfortunate that this has happened in your case. However, the point I am making is that the clutching burning out on your Endy is not a testament to Ford's products or the Ford Endeavour. This is based on some of the forum members and friends/family who have the Endeavour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks