Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2005, 11:56   #1
Team-BHP Support

Baleno levitation at 125+

This problem has been mentioned by me before, however no serious discussion has been done on this issue.

My Baleno is nearly 3 months old and has 195/60R14 Yokohama ES100 tyres on BSA 14x6J Alloys. I have noticed that it feels light as I start crossing 120KMs speed. At 130KMPH it literally glides on the road, therefore I haven't dared pushing it any further. Initially I thought it was the road, however it happened on other roads after that. So, I do believe I have a problem on hand. It sucks to have a Baleno with modded tyres and still limited to 120KMPH. Other day Rudra mentioned about feeling the same on a stock Baleno. However, V1p3r doesn't report any problem from his Baleno.

Last time when I discussed this with Iceman and Psycho, they both suspected the suspension. My next service day is nearing and I want some ideas on how to present my problem to Maruti service guys so that they will take real action. It will be quite difficult to demonstrate the problem (by driving at 130KMPH) in the middle of the city. Also I don't want to give them a reason to rip my car at that speed.

Does anyone else have the same problem with their Baleno? How do I explain this problem and what could be the possible solution I can suggest to them?
Old 13th July 2005, 12:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

It's really strange that you have this problem after fitting those tyres. Usually this sort of thing show's up with the stock tyres. i had a similar problem on my old astra, but new Falken's cleared that right up.

Its likely your larger tyres are tramlining too much. This happens with bigger tyres, and maybe the Yoko's are more susceptible to this than other tyres.

Last edited by Rtech : 13th July 2005 at 12:21.
Old 13th July 2005, 12:39   #3
BHPian

I do a 120 almost daily morning and a 130 once in a while depending on the traffic conditions.... haven't really experienced anything of this sort as such..
yes.. have never really experienced could also be a factor of not noticed.. will let you know in a couple of days tho'

btw.. mine went for its 2nd service last week.... and had its first tyre rotation... at around 5.5 k... is it normal or a lil early?

rgds
Old 13th July 2005, 12:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai, if possible, drive another baleno at that speed. Lightness of steering can be very subjective and you might feel just the same when you drive V1p3r's car, even though he does not feel it. If I am not wrong, you are used to drive in US (more of D segment cars like Corolla?), which can be biasing your opinion as well. Just some thoughts!
Old 13th July 2005, 12:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey Samurai... what is the current tyre pressure ???
Old 13th July 2005, 12:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

i dont own a baleno but last year driving my friends ride i found while hitting high speed i found the nose to be very nervous ..so much so i had to bring the needle down while changing lanes...front end lift is present in the esteem aswell...

one thing i noticed about the A.S.S here with GM and Suzuki is that they cant seem to do much about such problems ..like the defects which come with a particular model....

front axle liftng could be purely lack of proper aerodynamic downforce and a soft setup..
Old 13th July 2005, 13:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
i dont own a baleno but last year driving my friends ride i found while hitting high speed i found the nose to be very nervous ..so much so i had to bring the needle down while changing lanes..
Hey, arent you the one who dragged your Alto with Adventure at 140+? So, what high speed are you talking off with Baleno? 160-170?
Old 13th July 2005, 13:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Lightness of steering can be very subjective and you might feel just the same when you drive V1p3r's car, even though he does not feel it.
I haven't driven his car, but he felt the levitation when he was riding passenger with me in my car. So, it may not be subjective.

Quote:
If I am not wrong, you are used to drive in US (more of D segment cars like Corolla?), which can be biasing your opinion as well.
I used to drive Acura 3.2TL which was slightly bigger than Honda Accord. However, that was a sport sedan with V rated tyres, also it was much heavier and driven in US roads.

It is literally glued to the road at 80-100Kms, but that changes quite fast as I go higher. It can't be the tyres since Iceman had the same tyres in even thicker version.
Old 13th July 2005, 13:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Hey Samurai... what is the current tyre pressure ???
It was 29 last time I checked.
Old 13th July 2005, 13:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

The tyre pressure is good... The float is typically wheny our front tyres start loosing weight on them usually blamed on aero dynamics.... an easy solution out of this is to see if the company can help raise the rear a lil bit. Also check if the front struts are soft...
Old 13th July 2005, 13:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

marutis tend to float at higher speeds, but having driven a baleno...it didnt feel too bad at high speeds.

Drifter
Old 13th July 2005, 13:20   #12
Team-BHP Support

Front end getting light at 160+ ok, but 120kmph is a really low speed. Don't know man...
Old 13th July 2005, 13:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
out of this is to see if the company can help raise the rear a lil bit. Also check if the front struts are soft...

if teh front struts are soft ,then the car shouldnt be lifting.it will bottom on slight dips .

i dont suggest raising teh rear,as thsi will change the handling considerably,your car will tend to oversteer.

tell someone else to drive your car at those speeds and se eif the problem really exists.

Write to maruti at www.marutiudyog.com.it works.

try reducing the tire pressure.

Last edited by speedsatya : 13th July 2005 at 13:40.
Old 13th July 2005, 13:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, arent you the one who dragged your Alto with Adventure at 140+? So, what high speed are you talking off with Baleno? 160-170?
i am talking speeds of 150k around that much .. it felt too light as if it was floating ...my friends OHC looked much happier zipping at that speed ..

EPS isnt much of a help either on the marutis is it ?? complete absence of power variability at high speeds ..
Old 13th July 2005, 13:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
if teh front struts are soft ,then the car shouldnt be lifting.it will bottom on slight dips .
Not necessarily depends on the the torque lift of the engine itself... if you notice when a car accelerates the nose of the car lifts... and yes it will bottom if the strut has gone completely soft ... however on a medium soft strut it will not bottom that easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
i dont suggest raising teh rear,as thsi will change the handling considerably,your car will tend to oversteer.
Yes it will over steer if the height is raised considerably, 1/4 to 1/2 an inch on the rear will not cause oversteer, the alignment will have to be redone. Have done it on quite a few car's including both my cars and there has never been an oversteering problem till date.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks