Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 22:00   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post

Hope I'm correct on the PP information and All the best.
Yes Sir you are correct regarding the informatiom, reason being its next to impossible to get land in delhi from the dda or ndmc as commercial rates have gone through the roof since the sealing drive coupled with the upcoming commonwealth Games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Something more to think about while you wade through the red tape: a pump handles a lot of cash. How are you going to control that the guy who collects cash does not short-change you? Pump robberies are quite common in Delhi, maybe not in Chanakyapuri, but you need to have a electronic safe in which you periodically move cash from the cashier. Talk to a few insurance companies if you can cover such risks.
Some nationalised banks provide a cash pick up service to their regular customers, at the end of the day. This eliminates the risk of carrying cash to your residence and getting held up enroute. Check that out.
Sign up with credit cards issuers as a lot of purchases will be paid for with a card. There are a few pumps in Nehru Place which offer free windshield cleaning service as the car awaits its turn. Its a good goodwill gesture.
Offering free drinking water (bottled) in disposable cups during the sweltering summer could be another differentiator.
A big, big draw is offering clean toilets.
Its all about service, that will ultimately make your pump the destination.
Thank You for the pointers some of which are being looked into, also windshield wash an wipe is now mandatory at most pumps as a free service.
Old 29th September 2009, 22:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Bomi, amazing suggestions for the Cash and other services. Kudos.
I think getting the bank's vans to collect cash will be the best way to manage deposits.

B2BW, nice nice, you got a prime location.
Old 22nd December 2009, 14:12   #33
BHPian

Finally after almost 3 months I have completed the neccessary formalities and taken over the Pump Om 10/12/2010 and its a damm tough business to run.

Almost Given up on the workshop plans as it requirs NDMC Approval which is pretty expensive to come by at the moment. The company plans to Completely rennovate the Outlet within 6 months and Now Am thinking more on the lines of Maybe opening a couple off ATms and CCD or an alternative on the same lines.

If any one has any valuable suggestions regarding the type of Business models that may or can be succesfull on a pump please let me know as i have another 4 months to finalize what can be done on the Site.

Mods- This is no longer about opening a Workshop anymore so i dont know which section is most apt to move the thread to, please move it to a section you feel is most appropriate.

Regards
Mayank

Note from Mod : The thread will stay in the Technical section. It can still be of help to others looking to open a workshop.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2009 at 11:40. Reason: See Mod Note in post
Old 25th February 2010, 04:20   #34
BHPian

which is the petrol pump. we'd drop in for tank fill
Old 25th February 2010, 08:54   #35
BHPian

Hi, just have a small suggestion. There aren't many pp's in metros that sell 97 octane petrol. How about your pump selling it? I guess the area in which you have a PP might have a lot of customers
Old 26th February 2010, 16:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
which is the petrol pump. we'd drop in for tank fill
Sure, You are most welcome anytime. Pumps located on Vinay Marg, opp Nehru Park, Chanakyapuri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Hi, just have a small suggestion. There aren't many pp's in metros that sell 97 octane petrol. How about your pump selling it? I guess the area in which you have a PP might have a lot of customers
BPCL Pump in front of the PM's House is selling SPEED 97 and unfortunately due to some weird Policy Of HPCL, Pumps dont stock Octane 97.
Old 4th April 2010, 12:25   #37
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Auto Workshop- How to Setup?

Hi,

I would be graduating within a few months and will be stepping into the real world for the 1st time. Unlike some of my friends who would be joining some company, I want to start and run something on my own.

I have always been interested in Modification of vehicles and would like to get into doing it as a full-time business.
Also at the same time I would like to carry out stock service jobs too.

Basically I would like to have a place thats a Multi-Brand Service center but also carries out Modification Jobs (specialty).

Can any one here, please throw some light on how to go about the whole process (Legal activities,Permissions, Equipments,etc.)

Thanks in Advance!
Old 4th April 2010, 13:09   #38
CPH
BHPian

I am looking back to over 30 years of experience in this business - although in a different country.

I am currently looking into setting up a tuning business in India and have done some research.

No disrespect, but your friends apprach it the better way,

The automotive business is the hardetst business in the world. The tuning business is a small world. This creates an additional problem.

You are interested in modifications, but you haven't got any real time experience. Modding as a hobby and doing it professionally is two entirely different things. Customer demands and time frames are the worst hitting problems. It often looks quite clear cut only to find out that things are different.

You or your associates make one mistake and this can throw you back for years. Without any professional experience you are prone to run into traps.

If you have a lot of money to burn, then you don't need to care about making money.

But if you have to live in the real world then money must be earned.

The reality of running your own business is that it will have overheads. Every hour you have to put away x amount of money. This wether you are sick, healthy or without work.

The tuning business is a mine field.

Anyone can open a workshop, but maintaining it is a different story. When I started times were quite different. It was much easier than today. If I start today a new business in India, I have to build up a client base in a competitive market. Despite not being totally unknown (having enquiries and orders coming for a long time from India) I have a fairly long journey in front of me, which you have too but even longer.

The other advantage I have over you is over 30 years real time experience and the third advantage is that I have a range of proven products.

Another advantage is that I have facilities to produce my own products.

And last but not least, I know a lot of people in the industries.

I am not trying to patronise. I am a consultant too and consultants tell the cold and harsh truth, which is why nobody really likes them. Still it is the truth and might shatter your dreams, but you have to look at it this way, becaue loosing money is happening very quickly and repaying takes a lot of effort and time, not to mention the emotional stress.

To summarize it:

My advise would be to start with an established company, getting professional training. This way you learn the trade, get to understand the legalities, problems, trick of the trade, the understanding how to deal with problems, get to know suppliers etc.

And while you are doing this you get paid and don't have to worry about overheads.

One other important thing you can do at the same time, which is saving some money that you can invest in your future own business.

Then, when the time is right you can prepare your business with a proper business plan based on some experience.

And the best single piece of advise I can give you:

Never at any time even think of re-inventing the wheel.
Old 4th April 2010, 19:04   #39
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the advice CPH sir.

But I don't intend into getting into Tuning or Performance modifications. I plan to venture into vehicle customization business where I will do up the exteriors and interiors.
Something like what West Coast Customs, DC,Autopysche do. ( I know these guys have immense knowledge and experience in the field but I am ready to work hard and get to their level, they have been an inspiration)

Its true I don't have any experience in this field hence I plan to start first under some professional's guidance and then move up. I plan to start small and make it big.

Basically I want to have a place where a Customer can get his body,painting,upholstery,etc. done.
For Performance Modifications, may be I can have a tie-up with some expert in the field, once I make a name for myself.

At the same time I also want my place to cater to people who would like to get their stock cars serviced or repaired. (normal garage)

Summing it all up, I need to setup a place which services and repairs cars (a multi-brand service center) and also performs body mods.
Now I need to know what should be the basic floor layout, What kind of equipments are necessary,etc.

And yes "Instead of re-inventing I think of Re-engineering"
Thanks!
Old 4th April 2010, 19:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
My advise would be to start with an established company, getting professional training. This way you learn the trade, get to understand the legalities, problems, trick of the trade, the understanding how to deal with problems, get to know suppliers etc.

And while you are doing this you get paid and don't have to worry about overheads.

One other important thing you can do at the same time, which is saving some money that you can invest in your future own business.

Then, when the time is right you can prepare your business with a proper business plan based on some experience.

And the best single piece of advise I can give you:

Never at any time even think of re-inventing the wheel.
I would very strongly agree to the above & I would consider that the best piece of advice. To me all the above advice are to be engraved in rock.

However, if you've more than lot of financial support & consider the investment on automobile tuning as part time or a side income, then you can go ahead & start experiment your effort with it.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:14   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

SRK,

I've moved your posts to an existing thread; some interesting comments from BHPians which will surely be of help to you.

The most important bit of advice : Experience. You are only 21 years old and have the luxury of time. Get 2 - 4 years of experience at another workshop (or preferably a year or two at DIFFERENT outlets), understand the trade and then invest in your own setup. Believe me, you'll have a far stronger start if you make informed decisions from day one.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:49   #42
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Thanks for the advice CPH sir.

But I don't intend into getting into Tuning or Performance modifications. I plan to venture into vehicle customization business where I will do up the exteriors and interiors.
Something like what West Coast Customs, DC,Autopysche do. ( I know these guys have immense knowledge and experience in the field but I am ready to work hard and get to their level, they have been an inspiration)

Its true I don't have any experience in this field hence I plan to start first under some professional's guidance and then move up. I plan to start small and make it big.

Basically I want to have a place where a Customer can get his body,painting,upholstery,etc. done.
For Performance Modifications, may be I can have a tie-up with some expert in the field, once I make a name for myself.

At the same time I also want my place to cater to people who would like to get their stock cars serviced or repaired. (normal garage)

Summing it all up, I need to setup a place which services and repairs cars (a multi-brand service center) and also performs body mods.
Now I need to know what should be the basic floor layout, What kind of equipments are necessary,etc.

And yes "Instead of re-inventing I think of Re-engineering"
Thanks!
Don't get me wrong. I was once 21 myself. I might not have quite as much enthusiasm some 29 years later as I had then. But one other thing I didn't have then I have got now, which is another 29 years of experience (to save you working it out - yes I am 50).

I want to make it again ever so clear:

I am not trying to patronise you or anyone else.

But look at it this way:

I do care for people in general and have seen a lot of people getting into financial problems to an extend that they lost everything. What killed them financially was their enthusiasm and the bank did the rest.

The way you thinking to go about it is the wrong one. I have to tell you this now. There is no point in telling you afterwards that I could have told you. Then the damage is done.

GTO and aargee have very important points, which are the foundation of success especially in a business like the automotive field.

After nerly 31 years of experience I can tell you that the field is a mine field. When I started we were living in a totally different world. It was much easier than today.

If you work for a dealer and go through an aprenticeship you will be trained to factory standards and learn about the vehicles. This way you have direct access to common fault, understand what the basic tooling is you need, learn about the customers interests when it comes to special work etc. And during all this time you have no finacial worries as you are even being paid while learning.

Forget your own ideas for the moment and do it the professional way. In a couple of years time you will get frightened about the thougt that you could have dismissed the advice given.

I am making my money in the performance tuning business. I have a house that is paid for. I can afford to have no income for six months. And I have got a reputation that provides me business without advertising anywhere.

I easily could turn round and just not bothering having the attitude that this is your life and your failure. But this isn't my way of dealing.

For your own sake, please don't dismiss our experience.
CPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2010, 18:48   #43
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, aargee,GTO and CPH sir.

I got your points.
So now after completing my degree,I should try and get myself into some workshop as a trainee. Preferably in an Authorised Service Centre till I am confident enough to work for myself.
My dad was going to help me setup this dream workshop, now after going through all of your points I don't intend to waste all his hard earned money. May be we can buy a land and keep it for future use.

Thank You very much.
Will update on what I have done!
Old 5th April 2010, 18:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Preferably in an Authorised Service Centre till I am confident enough to work for myself.
Congratulations SRK; see its again not about confidence, the more you learn & know things, the fear of uncertainty crawls. So keep the fire within & do not let it go away; when in job, do not learn for the sake of business & when in business do not learn for the sake of money. I'm looking forward to see you starting a thread sometime in the near future stating that you've started your dream venture. Good Luck
Old 5th April 2010, 19:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

@SRK: What course of studies are you pursuing? If you are an engineer (especially mechanical), you already have a head start in terms of domain knowledge.
One option for you would be to look for an vocational training course abroad (there are a few in Europe/UK). There you would be trained and would also get hands-on experience in the field, something that would stand you in good stead in the future. You could think of working somewhere in and around that area thereafter to pick up further experience (probably more advanced than a workshop in India would offer you) and of course, money.
After a couple of years, you can come back to India and work on setting up your dream workshop.

Don't give up on your dream - equip yourself with the experience and knowledge needed to achieve it. All the best!

Last edited by razor4077 : 5th April 2010 at 19:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks