Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 16:21   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
....Any pics of the foot-well & pedals ?
Took this pic for you today, not much more than two pretty big pedals down there. Not a lot of room either.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000902.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawcash View Post
another thing i havn't been able to figure out is that why are F1 tires so high in profile?
Thats a good question dhawcash!

I asked one of the engineers, and the answer was "Honestly, i don't know!"

Though, i've been thinking, obviously its a specification mentioned in the rules - so why would they do that?
Probably to limit the amount of cornering grip/forces for some reason! Probably similar reasons as to why full slicks were not allowed some time back?

Perhaps another reason is to allow more flex in the sidewalls when sudden power or braking is applied, which means less stress on the tryes and transmission?
Add to that less stress on the suspension and driver with the added cushioning the higher sidewalls provide.

Any other ideas?

As for the rear suspension, we got a (more) detailed rundown from the engineers this time. Will let ported_head fill you in on the details.

Here's a pic of ported getting the explanation from the team :
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000896.jpg
...as well as applying some down-force!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2009 at 21:48.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

The Engine Start event

The Engine Start Event for the Red Bull F1 car took place at Bandra Reclaimation this afternoon. The engine was fired up after David Coulthard arrived after 12.30 pm to be welcomed by a waiting media. The start of an F1 V10 is something to be experienced in person. No words are enough to describe the sheer thrill a car or racing enthusiast gets just by listening to tohose symphonies. I have been to a Grand Prix before but have never been this close to a fired up F1 car. The car idles at around 3000rpm . These guys revved it till only 10000rpm. If they did go upto the max 18000 rpm, all hell would break loose. Here are some first pictures from the event. More pictures and video will follow from Rehaan.

First and foremost, Team BHPs secret camera to get you first hand footage

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00583.jpg

A side view of the rear wing

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00585.jpg

The Bridgestone slicks. Boy would they make a nice coffee table.

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00586.jpg

The F1 Steering Wheel

A - Differntial settings
B - Fuel mixture
C - Traction Control Settings
D - Engine Braking

Apart fom that you have buttons for Neutral, Pit Radio, Brake Balance, Drink, TC on/off as told me by the engineer. Pic below.

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00589.jpg

The cooling fans

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00592.jpg

The engine cover

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00593.jpg

The nose

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00595.jpg

DC taking questions from the media

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00599.jpg

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00600.jpg

If only pictures could be heard, your monitor would shatter. The car when fired up

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00602.jpg

Last edited by Dippy : 10th October 2009 at 18:03.
Old 10th October 2009, 18:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

more..

The Cosworth V10

Name:  DSC00605.jpg
Views: 7971
Size:  121.6 KB

The medium of communication between driver and pit wall, the Pit radio tucked away next to the seat

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00608.jpg

Post event, wheels on and ready to be put onto the flatbed truck

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00610.jpg

Push boys push

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00611.jpg

And there she goes..

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00612.jpg

A parting shot, the front wing

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-dsc00615.jpg

Stay tuned for more from Rehaan
Old 10th October 2009, 20:36   #49
BHPian

thanks a ton for those images. extremely detailed
the car is so basic (save the engine and aerodynamics etc)! i mean with zip ties to bind wires, radio stuffed in a corner etc. considering the cost involved its funny to find everything in such a mess. if you strip the outer panels the only thing left will be the engine. the driver is surrounded by so much power! it also shows why physical fitness is so vital, imagine being in such a cramped space for almost two hours enduring g forces. can anyone shed light on the position of the on-board cameras please? thanks n advance.
Old 10th October 2009, 20:38   #50
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks to Julian, Dave, Tony, Rick and the other couple of guys who didn't have names on their shirts, of the Red Bull Racing team. It has been an eventful day, and I got to hear my first Formula 1 V10 engine up close.

The engine startup procedure, includes their preliminary systems check, along with priming the engine with oil. Also the engine needs to be at 80 deg C, before they can start it up. The really tight tolerances need to open up, before they can fire up the engine, or it would simply seize. They pump heated water through the system. Surprisingly the cooling system runs water only, alongwith some corrosion inhibitors.

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000884.jpg

Above: Before, they shove the starter into the gearbox, they run a manual check with a ratchet and an attachment similar to the starter. This is to check that the pneumatic systems on the valvetrain are working properly. In case of an issue with a system, some malfunction like an open valve could spell disaster for the engine. Today, there seemed to be some issue with the engine, as they turned it over quite a few times with the starter before it fired up. I also saw some engineers furiously exchanging glances with other mates and the telemetry and then shaking their heads.

They ran the engine for a couple of minutes at the most. Idles around 3-3500 rpm. And under no load, is not as loud as I though it would be even at 10,000 rpm or so.

Some interesting bits we learnt over the day:

* The engine oil capacity is about 3L or so. I thought it would be higher, but this is because of the dry sump system, right?

* The front track is wider than the rear.

* The oil cooler, situated on the right side of the vehicle, is actually partitioned to cool oil for both the engine and the gearbox.

* The cooling system runs water only, with corrosion inhibitors.

* They run slip joints on the exhaust manifold. But I cannot understand the reason.

* As Mpower said, they run two sets of injectors. Similar to a lot of motorcycle engines these days.

More on the suspension in the next post.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2009 at 21:02. Reason: Added a picture.
Old 10th October 2009, 20:55   #51
BHPian

Awesome stuff! I especially liked the pic of the F1 steering wheel. Thanks for the labelling. What would we do without you guys?
Old 10th October 2009, 20:58   #52
Team-BHP Support

Heres the fire-up video guys :

The first two are the same run from different viewpoints, and the last is a final run.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st November 2011 at 17:01.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-img_16822.jpg

The parts labelled in the picture are:

A- Not only is it the bell crank lever for the pushrods, it also houses a spring. So it completes a spring and damper combination alongwith part B. I am assuming that the spring in A, is a torsion spring. So that could it be progressive in nature too. Also, it looked like there was some adjustability for the spring, to increase/decrease the preload, maybe?

B- Individual hydraulic damper for each wheel side.

C- Torsion bar. Connected to the chassis.

D- Damper, with very minimal hydraulic damping and a two stage spring. This damper comes into action when the rear of the car squats, and rebounds to bring it back to equilibrium.

When one wheel side hits, say a bump, the pushrod pushes against the bell crank lever (A), which actuates the hydraulic damper (B) shaft, in tandem with the spring in A. This also causes rotation of the the equal bias linkage, which in turn rotates the torsion bar. The torsion bar also has the facility to move fore and aft, when the central shock absorber (D), compresses.

One of the engineers, demonstrated it to us by inducing bump travel in one of the wheel sides with his hands. However, this hardly reciprocated in any sort of movement on the linkages for the other wheel side.

This is because of the geometry of the bell crank lever and the hydraulic damper on the other wheel side, right? So this would then also act as an anti roll bar? Since the connection of the bell crank lever, via the pushrod, is to the lower wishbone.

According to the engineer, the total wheel travel from it's lowest point of droop to maximum bump is about 45-50 mm. I was surprised at how easily he was able to compress the wheel side. When we would try doing it on our FSAE vehicle, the whole car would jack up. Of course, our spring rates were wrong. But it would also depend on the kind of leverage, and whether it's a rising/decreasing rate of suspension, right? Also, their setup must be softer for these road shows in order to increase mechanical grip?

The ride height is adjusted by addition or removal of shims in the pushrods. Rear camber is adjusted by shims too. Some adjustment for toe at the rear, but was covered with a lot of carbon fibre. They do use spherical rod ends, rose joints at the end of wishbones. But not always on both ends of the wishbone. On the top rear wishbone, the gearbox end had fixed ends, leaving it to only CF flexibility. The lower wishbone had rod ends on all ends.

One of the guys spoke of some sort of clicking eccentric bolts for the front wishbones for camber adjustments.

The calculation of spring rate for this sort of a setup seems really complex. I mean, you would have to consider the springs in the bell crank, the torsion bar, and the large monoshock. Can anybody shed any more light on how to go about this?

All the above was gathered from inputs of the RBR guys, and some of my own. I am still trying to completely understand this setup. I could be phenomenally wrong about certain things, so feel free to correct me. Mpower, others, I would appreciate further insights into this.

Last edited by ported_head : 11th October 2009 at 09:18.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post

* The engine oil capacity is about 3L or so. I thought it would be higher, but this is because of the dry sump system, right?

* The cooling system runs water only, with corrosion inhibitors.

* They run slip joints on the exhaust manifold. But I cannot understand the reason.
  • 3L sounds really low. hard to digest
  • Glycol is banned in all types of racing because a spill on the track can be slippery. I run distilled water with Redline water-wetter.
  • Excessive vibration can cause cracking
Old 10th October 2009, 21:11   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
.... can anyone shed light on the position of the on-board cameras please?....
Surely,
1) Rear facing, mounted on the "roll hoop" area, looking over the rear wing.
2) Front facing, above the engine air-intake, looking over the drivers helmet.
3) Rear facing, mounted near the "windshield", looking towards the drivers face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
..... I also saw some engineers furiously exchanging glances with other mates and the telemetry and then shaking their heads.

They ran the engine for a couple of minutes at the most. Idles around 3-3500 rpm. And under no load, is not as loud as I though it would be even at 10,000 rpm or so....
You know what, i just watched the video a few times -- and i have my doubts about if they actually reached 10,000rpm today.

More soon...
cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2009 at 21:24.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:14   #56
Team-BHP Support

Suspension

Some more detailed suspension shots, since this seemed to generate so much interest and so many questions :
(Ported, feel free to merge posts / insert pics into your explanation post).

Conical housing for the bell-crank spring in the foreground, drive-shaft coming out of hiding in the background.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000897.jpg

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000899.jpg

Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000900.jpg

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2009 at 21:17.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:24   #57
Team-BHP Support

Some more

A David Coulthard autographed Team-BHP sticker!!
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000912.jpg

Notice our strategically mounted camera in the top right corner of this pic, awaiting the fire-up.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000873.jpg

Dippy getting a personal tour of the steering & cockpit area.
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000882.jpg

Ported pondering the next suspensive question...
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000904.jpg

Speed Limit :
30km/h
David Coulthard : "I don't intend on driving in India again, so i think i'm just gonna go flat-out!"
Pics & Video : Red Bull Formula 1 Car Assembly & Engine Fire-up in Mumbai-p1000911.jpg[/b]

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2009 at 22:00.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:27   #58
BHPian

Red Bull Engine Fireup Video is up guys, heres the link.

PS. Please Keep your Speakers ON this is AWESOME.
Old 11th October 2009, 06:34   #59
BHPian

Hi-res pics of the engine fire up, day1 of the F1 Red Bull SpeedLink are here.
Red Bull Speed Link - a set on Flickr
Old 11th October 2009, 15:12   #60
BHPian

Great pics and detailed coverage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks