Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 17:47   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Hey I have a similar problem with my Zen. Its a 2001 model, the AC is jus blowing air at normal temprature, took it to the M.A.S.S. to get the gas filled. They say that I need to upgrade to a new system, and quoted a 8-9k for this.

Do you suggest I go for the R134? What are the complications if I do so?
Or I simply go to a local garage and jus spend on filling the gas?

being an old car, i wouldnt recommend spending that much. but yea if u gonna keep the car for another 4-5 years, then yea its worth the expense. But i doubt that. So its better to get the thing refilled at the local garage, it will serve the purpose
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:06   #137
BHPian

I recently got my zen's right damper replaced because of oil leakage from the old one. But, I am still hearing some gud-gud sound from the right side of the car. Can anyone suggest what can be the reason for that.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:05   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Hey I have a similar problem with my Zen. Its a 2001 model, the AC is jus blowing air at normal temprature, took it to the M.A.S.S. to get the gas filled. They say that I need to upgrade to a new system, and quoted a 8-9k for this.

Do you suggest I go for the R134? What are the complications if I do so?
Or I simply go to a local garage and jus spend on filling the gas?
I faced the same problem with my Zen (2001) last year. Felt like the blower was just blowing "normal" temp air and the compressor just would not cut out. So I was driving not only with a lot less power, but also having hot air being blown at me! That was really bad in April.

The temperature at the centre outlets (after condensor & evaporator cleaning, gas R12 refill) was just 14 degrees. This was done at a reputed old AC servicing centre in Pune, which also caters to a lot of defense/administrative vehicles, as I could see.

They suggested I change the evaporator coil (as it was probably choked) and the reciever dryer (bottle where you see the bubbles), since the compressor and condensor were fine and there were no leaks.

Got that done at the same place and immediately noted a great difference. The temp was down to 1.8 degrees at min speed. As a result the AC also started cutting off after adequate cooling. It's been almost one year since then and I'm happy with the results.

Since I got this done in 2 sittings (I wanted to see if only servicing/cleaning would give results), which meant discharging the gas twice and refilling thrice, cost went up by about 1000 bucks. But results were worth it.

I would say it won't make economical sense to upgrade the entire system to R134a, but this is what MASS will tell you to do.
Old 28th March 2010, 13:47   #139
BHPian

Recently I had an issue with my '99Zen.

The radiator hose pipe had a leak. This is the bottom thick hose pipe.

It cost Rs. 200 and MASS charged Rs. 225 for replacing it!!!

The procedure was to remove the radiator. Remove the hose pipe and replace it. Fit the radiator back. Rs 225 is way too much for the effort!

I will not mention the MASS name, however, When I said Rs 225 is way too much for the effort. Service eng agreed and said. Instead of paying Rs 235 + taxes for coolant, just pay Rs 150 to us and we will fill new coolant.

Corruption everywhere!
Old 13th May 2010, 12:11   #140
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I need to replace leaky fuel tank in my zen! Any one has done this? Kindly provide the details!
Old 19th May 2010, 18:39   #141
BHPian

Front Shocks

My Zen has gone in for a service @128500 km. The MASS mechanic told me that the RHS front shock absorber was leaking as I complained about a small creaking noise which I presumed would be from the suspension. The LHS one was fine, so were the rear shocks.

I was advised to replace both the front shock absorbers for which the quote was 7000!! Incidentally the same MASS had changed both front suspension struts & both rear shocks @70000km and the charges for front strut assembly as per their bill was approx 1400 for each side (labour extra).

For the moment I have asked them NOT to go ahead with the replacement till I get some suggestions from our own experts (and members who have gone through the same experience). Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:13   #142
BHPian

Throttle response

A second issue has been noticed in the acceleration - carburettor related (presumably, the secondary circuit) - the accelerator pedal feels stone heavy and unresponsive; total lack of "punch" that would normally be appreciated in a Zen. They have suggested "overhauling" - can anyone enlighten me on what actually needs/should be done in this process?

PS: I usually drive on LPG (RTO approved kit) for economy, so I can understand the loss in power. But lately, even driving on petrol is feeling as if I'm driving on LPG (well, only slightly better)!! Is this due to choked jets?
Old 19th May 2010, 19:31   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
My Zen has gone in for a service @128500 km.
=========
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Zen struts are not that expensive. So ask them to give the exact figure for the parts and not the estimate. Labor would be 500-600 bucks since its replacement. Strut should be 1400-1800 IIRC.

Quote:
A second issue has been noticed in the acceleration ===============
I'm driving on LPG (well, only slightly better)!! Is this due to choked jets?
Do a complete strip and cleaning of the carb, they might be referring the same as overhauling. Also do the complete tune up, filter clean/replacement and valve settings. But unless you drive few kms in petrol every week, the carb will again get messed up soon.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:40   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Zen has gone in for a service @128500 km. The MASS mechanic told me that the RHS front shock absorber was leaking as I complained about a small creaking noise which I presumed would be from the suspension. The LHS one was fine, so were the rear shocks.

I was advised to replace both the front shock absorbers for which the quote was 7000!! Incidentally the same MASS had changed both front suspension struts & both rear shocks @70000km and the charges for front strut assembly as per their bill was approx 1400 for each side (labour extra).

For the moment I have asked them NOT to go ahead with the replacement till I get some suggestions from our own experts (and members who have gone through the same experience). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

front struts ,lower arms and the stabiliser bar together would cost close to 6k ....this is what i was told when i went to Suraksha for my new, old zen .
Old 20th May 2010, 18:36   #145
BHPian

I got my zen's right strut replaced for 1400 recently.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:09   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Zen struts are not that expensive. So ask them to give the exact figure for the parts and not the estimate. Labor would be 500-600 bucks since its replacement. Strut should be 1400-1800 IIRC.
Thanks Jaggu. Thats what I thought too. The last replacement of the front struts in 2008 cost 1300 odd + labor as you correctly said. I'm wondering if struts and shock absorbers are the same thing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do a complete strip and cleaning of the carb, they might be referring the same as overhauling. Also do the complete tune up, filter clean/replacement and valve settings. But unless you drive few kms in petrol every week, the carb will again get messed up soon.
Yes, thats what I've asked them to do - not just the secondary, but the entire carburettor. Including jets and all.On later enquiring if carb cleaning is done during regular paid servicing, I was shocked to learn that it wasn't.
Does that mean that I've gone 128k km without ever cleaning the carb?? I remember (as a 10-12 year old), I used to clean my Mom's Luna's carb myself!! I think I might as well be physically present there to see what they actually do! And yes, I do drive (especially after starting the car) on petrol for sometime...now and then! I've specifically kept the fuel selector switch on petrol mode for the servicing and told the same to the service guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
front struts ,lower arms and the stabiliser bar together would cost close to 6k ....this is what i was told when i went to Suraksha for my new, old zen .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_hyd View Post
I got my zen's right strut replaced for 1400 recently.
Thanks for the inputs, Speedsatya & sam_hyd. Will re-check what the service guy exactly meant to replace.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st May 2010 at 19:45. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi (Quote +) instead, Thanks
Old 20th May 2010, 21:23   #147
BHPian

Quote:
if carb cleaning is done during regular paid servicing, I was shocked to learn that it wasn't.
Carb overhal is done on service only if there is a problem like erratic idle or clog jets etc. If vehicle is running fine then they will do only oil change, filters change and other stuff and don't even touch the carb if there is any problem in it. And this I think is right, opening of carb at every service is not a good thing to do.

Luna has totally different type of carb and it can require cleaning, I too used to strip the carb of my Hero puch and clean it with petrol, tooth brush and wire to clean jet but I don't do this with my Gladiator
Old 21st May 2010, 18:40   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Carb overhal is done on service only if there is a problem like erratic idle or clog jets etc. If vehicle is running fine then they will do only oil change, filters change and other stuff and don't even touch the carb if there is any problem in it. And this I think is right, opening of carb at every service is not a good thing to do.

Luna has totally different type of carb and it can require cleaning, I too used to strip the carb of my Hero puch and clean it with petrol, tooth brush and wire to clean jet but I don't do this with my Gladiator
I agree on not opening up the carb at every service, but when you've been going to the same service centre for 4 years, it should atleast be checked sometime - perhaps indirectly indicated by the clogged filters?? Besides, I also tell them that most of my travelling (out of the city) involves dusty broken roads! Lets see what they do this time.
Old 21st May 2010, 19:48   #149
Team-BHP Support

Back in my zen days, I used to service the carbs every 20k kms irrespective of its working or not and it had helped me with a trouble free carb when i sold the vehicle at 67k kms. I used to get it done at a small independent garage who used to specialize only on engine tuning.
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:21   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Guys,

I need to replace leaky fuel tank in my zen! Any one has done this? Kindly provide the details!
You don't need to replace the whole tank. The tank will cost about 2600/-
Since old Zen is out of production, it will be ordered back to back.

Go to a good body walla who has an excellent foreman. Take the tank out, completely empty the petrol. Gas weld it, if the holes are big, he will put a steel patch (not iron/tin). Tell him to use brass wielding rods. This will counter corrison that may occur in near future, even if its a new wield, it will be the weak spot. It will be a maximum 800 rupees job with labour.

Quote:

Front McPherson struts set : 3020 for a pair, (MGP gabriel make) with all the rubber parts and nuts.
Springs (optional) Rs 230 a peice.

I have done this job last month, will post the images in coming months

Quote:
A second issue has been noticed in the acceleration - carburettor related (presumably, the secondary circuit) - the accelerator pedal feels stone heavy and unresponsive; total lack of "punch" that would normally be appreciated in a Zen. They have suggested "overhauling" - can anyone enlighten me on what actually needs/should be done in this process?

PS: I usually drive on LPG (RTO approved kit) for economy, so I can understand the loss in power. But lately, even driving on petrol is feeling as if I'm driving on LPG (well, only slightly better)!! Is this due to choked jets?
I will suggest you first replace accelerator cable. Rs. 108/-

Spray some wd 40 on the springs near the stopper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks