Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 23:13   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your car is 7 years old. This is the time you should be considering an after-market independent garage. Annual maintenance will work out way cheaper.

Also keep in mind that the older she grows, some parts are bound to need replacement. For example, a suspension overhaul is required at 40 - 50 K, the clutch at 60 - 80K kms, starters & alternators need overhauls, aircons need complete servicing etc. etc. Again, get hold of a good independent if you intend to hold on to your car.
Old 27th October 2009, 23:44   #17
BHPian

In last june I have changed my 2003 Zen's ignition switch from MASS. Also replaced the distributor 'O" ring from Bosch Service Centre 3 weeks back. Today when I was coming back from office, to attain a phone call I stopped the car and switch off the ignition. After about 3-4 mins I crancked the engine but nothing happened, only heard talk-talk noice all the tail-tale lights in the dash got dimmed. Tried another two times, same thing happened. On the fourth attempt car was started. After reaching home I done the same excercise atleast five times, and the car cranked on the very first attempt. Could anybody throw some light? I'm planing to go out of town day after tomorrow and dont want to experience any untoward incident during that time.

Last edited by gaddiwale : 27th October 2009 at 23:46.
Old 28th October 2009, 00:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Could anybody throw some light? I'm planing to go out of town day after tomorrow and dont want to experience any untoward incident during that time.
Your battery is almost dead. Take it to any battery dealers and let them check it for you. If the battery is fine, then it could be the alternator.

If your alternator has worn out, you could get it repaired, if you are on a budget. If its the battery then 4K upwards.
Old 28th October 2009, 01:10   #19
BHPian

I had and having my services done through ABT for my esteem, i never had any issues with the quality of work and its only the bill which used to be on higher side. If they say the part is changed then its changed for sure. I ensure that my service advisor explains and shows me the replaced part. Parts replaced in my car which crossed 76K were
1. Front drive shafts (R & L)
2. Radiator
3. Rear Brake Drums
4. Timing Belt
5. Power steering

Some of the changes which came to my mind.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:29   #20
BHPian

Wow...Zen Dedicated Service Thread

Good I found this thread. I had few concerns. People on this thread are expirenced Zen owners just like me

I will finally be going next week for service. Havent decided on which MASS.

Mostly Suraksha on Hosur road or RNS Yeshwantpur. Please let me know if you know some other MASS where your baby ZEN was handled impressively. This is my first service after i bought the car so you can understand the fear!!!

I have mentioned things TODO apart from 5000kms service which includes all fuild changed and overall inspection. Please let me know if some thing specific should be checked.

Things I noted down TODO:
1) Carb cleanup and overhaul (all jets checked & leaks checked, all vaccumm checked) and some perfect tuing from an exprienced hand (hopefully)
2) Air Filter changed/cleaned. How abt K&N stock replacement?
3) Brakes are sqeeking and not strong. Any BKM?
4) Engine oil change to Castrol Magnetec (should I do a mild engine flush?)
5) my cluch is very short, like the engage and disengage dipress is short. I tried to add some play by looseing it but engage and disengage depression needed is same. Not sure why. Cluch doesnt slip at any gear. Any reason?
6) Idling lil high and not smooth (may be due to 1 & 2)

Also recommened me any MASS in Blore who took care of your Carb Zen issues.

PS: I wanted to spend the day at service station for my curiosity as well as want things to be done perfectly. Do MASS allow customers to inspect the service?
Old 28th October 2009, 11:50   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Things I noted down TODO:
1) Carb cleanup and overhaul (all jets checked & leaks checked, all vaccumm checked) and some perfect tuing from an exprienced hand (hopefully)
2) Air Filter changed/cleaned. How abt K&N stock replacement?
3) Brakes are sqeeking and not strong. Any BKM?
4) Engine oil change to Castrol Magnetec (should I do a mild engine flush?)
5) my cluch is very short, like the engage and disengage dipress is short. I tried to add some play by looseing it but engage and disengage depression needed is same. Not sure why. Cluch doesnt slip at any gear. Any reason?
6) Idling lil high and not smooth (may be due to 1 & 2)
============
PS: I wanted to spend the day at service station for my curiosity as well as want things to be done perfectly. Do MASS allow customers to inspect the service?
Do a complete tune up. (Carb/valve/timing etc). This should sort out idle etc
Clean/Replace all filters and spark plugs.
Do a brake overhaul.

You can always politely request them and they will allow you to observe the car while being worked on. Remember to take lot of fluids and munchies along coz it can become tiring and frustrating at times You can always share this with your mech so that he will give you a lil bit more than his usual.
Old 28th October 2009, 13:44   #22
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu. I will try your tricks.

So when I say carb overhaul, what all does it include? Cleaning just from outside or total dismantle and cleaning with replacing stuff thats gone etc.
Old 28th October 2009, 14:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

There is general paid service , that costs ~700 -800 ( i dont remember it correctly ) for zen .

What all they check and do in general paid service ?
Old 28th October 2009, 14:51   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Thanks Jaggu. I will try your tricks.

So when I say carb overhaul, what all does it include? Cleaning just from outside or total dismantle and cleaning with replacing stuff thats gone etc.
They strip the carb and clean it thoroughly, inside out. Ensure they have packings before you open up. Also check if the rubber diaphram of the accelerator pump is in good condition or else replace it. Its not very costly. Also ensure that they clean both the butterfly's so that the secondary circuit functions properly.

Stay away from carb spray since its a temporary fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
There is general paid service , that costs ~700 -800 ( i dont remember it correctly ) for zen .

What all they check and do in general paid service ?
They would do a general check up, top up fluids, clean filters and tighten some suspension. Apart from any minor complaints you have reported. Anything else they will charge separately

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th October 2009 at 14:53.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your car is 7 years old. This is the time you should be considering an after-market independent garage. Annual maintenance will work out way cheaper.

Also keep in mind that the older she grows, some parts are bound to need replacement. For example, a suspension overhaul is required at 40 - 50 K, the clutch at 60 - 80K kms, starters & alternators need overhauls, aircons need complete servicing etc. etc. Again, get hold of a good independent if you intend to hold on to your car.
@GTO, could you please provide me information on other components as well? The SC guy was telling me that suspension overhaul is needed for every 10K kms and the clutch plates need to be replaced after 40K kms.
Old 28th October 2009, 21:20   #26
BHPian

Hey Crank,

My friend's car is doing without clutch replacement till now.Its done 120k and odd kms till now, though i feel it needs an suspension overhaul for sure ! suspension overhaul for 10k not required for sure.
Old 29th October 2009, 10:16   #27
BHPian

As mentioned earlier in my post, my car has done 81K Kms. I bought it 1500Kms back.

Clutch in my car works a little different. Cluch is very short, like the engage and disengage dipression needed is short. I tried to add some play by looseing a nut above clutch, it added but play but engage and disengage depression needed is same. Not sure why. Cluch doesnt slip at any gear. Any reason?
Old 29th October 2009, 12:11   #28
Team-BHP Support

As i mentioned earlier, when you loosen the clutch cable your play increases and clutch activation range decreases. You need to tighten it instead. In such a way that there is some free play (around 10-15mm) at the pedal and then the clutch engages, though with such a setting never leave the leg resting on the pedal.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:26   #29
BHPian

jaggu,
Even after doing that the REAL action of clutch engage<->disengage is short. Rest is all play.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Zen suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Hey Crank,

My friend's car is doing without clutch replacement till now.Its done 120k and odd kms till now, though i feel it needs an suspension overhaul for sure ! suspension overhaul for 10k not required for sure.
120K without clutch replacement!!! that’s great. We got it replaced at 90K. I agree with nandan2005. But if he plans to keep car for long, its advisable to keep replace the suspension. If you are using car in pot hole filled roads, the car tend to bottom due to bad road.

I had bottoming issue with Zen. Got the rear suspension replaced. Now no problem

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks