Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2018, 22:43   #601
BHPian

Re: Zen and the art of maintaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The only compatible part I can see as open is 37995-75F00-P4Z. Costs Rs. 1638. Another compatible part with different color is 37995-75F00-R8J. It costs Rs. 1474.
A cheap fix that i do to fix power windows on my '99 esteem is to buy the cheapest power window switch(i think its from an alto/swift - single one) , take it apart and take out the insides and swap with the insides of the broken switch on the esteem!

Usually its the "spring loaded plastic peice" or the metal contact that needs to be replaced which are usually swappable.

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 13th November 2018 at 22:44.
techn0l0gist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 12:52   #602
BANNED

Sorry for the delay guys, its been a while and I didn't get much time to work on the car until today morning.

MGP seems to have forgotten about me, so I'll return the favor and would go ahead with sourcing remaining parts(plumbing) locally.

My air filter box seems to need a replacement and since the Zen's stock AF box is not in production anymore would anyone be kind enough to suggest alternatives.

As for the status of the Zen, I've swapped out the old distributor cap and rotor with the ones I'd ordered from Bodomo, the performance change was phenomenal in comparison, visually the Rotor seems to not have faced any wear and tear but the distributor cap does show considerable wear, see for yourself.

New Cap:

Zen and the art of maintaining it-1.jpg

My Old Cap with 70k km's on the ODO:

Zen and the art of maintaining it-2.jpg

Hence I would suggest those who have been running on the same cap for over 50k km's to consider changing it as it resolved the low RPM hesitation while climbing inclines, now I can climb even aggressive inclines with the AC ON in 1 st Gear.

While I was doing a couple of 100% load and speed runs I managed to get a flat as well, got the same fixed for Rs.120, my tools and tubeless tire repair kit was at home.

Zen and the art of maintaining it-3.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2018 at 17:08. Reason: Uploading pics as attachments :)
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 21:31   #603
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Also while I was simply browsing through Bodomo ordered these two inexpensive parts as my Zen has 3 12v ports set up and no place at all to keep the accessories, so at around 234/- I guess this would be a decent mod.

Attachment 1803192 Attachment 1803193

Idea courtesy @chiranjitp, Thanks!
Both parts had arrived a while ago but couldn't install as I was staying away from my parents place.

Anyhow completed the install a few mins ago, looks fine.

Zen and the art of maintaining it-console.jpg

Special thanks to Shashi for providing information on how to remove the gear knob, I was confused as modern Maruti's come with either pull-out type or turn-lock type knobs, Shashi informed that it was neither and was screwed in, so with the help of a towel and monkey wrench managed to get it loose.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:01   #604
BANNED

Hey guys, please provide the specification of the tool used to remove spark plugs on the Zen.

The car is currently with a friend whose in the country for his vacations, this is the same friend who got me the Zen, thought it would be better for him to drive her while he's here as she wasn't covering many miles with me.

The 70k Service is due and I intent to DIY the following;

1. Engine Oil Change.
2. Gear Oil Change.
3. Spark Plug Change.
4. Air Filter Change.
5. Brake Fluid Change.
6. Brake Pad Change.
7. Coolant Change.

Do let me know if I'm missing anything.
Old 1st April 2019, 21:54   #605
BHPian

Dear Mods Please move to a new Topic if Allowed.

We want to convert our 16 Years old Zen Diesel to a Fully Electric Motor with a range of at least 75 km.

So this is how it goes, We bought a Zen Diesel in my university days in 2003, It was an amazing car, I drove it for 75,000 Kms and One night it got stolen, After a year and half one policeman knocked at our door with the news that they have found our car. We got it back and have been using it since then. In all not exact But I drove it for 75,000 then the thieves drove it and since we got it back we have driven it around 80,000 more kms. My part of before the theft and after the theft is exact 1,75,000 and I guess by the condition it was in the thieves must have driven it for atleast 75000. Hats off to the engine, It has a Peugot TUD 5 engine that will still go on forever but I would still consider an environment friendly option.

It is being used for a daily drive of 35 kms by our domestic staff to drive to our kitchen garden farm to bring fresh vegetables and milk. It still has an amazing drive but I want to make it eco friendly and quieter.

Please guide with what options and battery packs can be used.

I need recommendations on if this is doable and will work or not.

We will pull out the diesel engine and place a dc motor currently in use by the E -Rickshaws and make a coupling with the existing Gear Box.

If this is Successful we also have a Maruit 800 petrol in stock that can also be converted for city driving.
Old 18th May 2019, 13:31   #606
BHPian

Cosmetic surgery

Fixed U shaped DRLs (from Amazon @ Rs 350/-) on the borders of the indicator lamp housing - the white DRL thereby "surrounds" the orange indicator light. Also have put T10 white LED bulbs in the clearance lamp housing.
Next step: Plan to install Philips white vision 100/90 W halogen bulbs (already have 100/90W regular halogens with relay and ceramic holders) to complement the white look. Any other recommendation (other than Philips?). I'm only looking for white, not cool blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Zen and the art of maintaining it-1558166468274.jpg  

Last edited by Zen2001 : 18th May 2019 at 13:36.
Old 28th August 2019, 07:27   #607
Senior - BHPian

I have a question for Zen owners: Which year was the LX variant (the one with non-power steering) discontinued?
Old 28th August 2019, 10:49   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I have a question for Zen owners: Which year was the LX variant (the one with non-power steering) discontinued?
2006 if i am not mistaken. Hope this helps.
Old 28th August 2019, 19:55   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
2006 if i am not mistaken. Hope this helps.

Thank you.
I was doing a search for LX models around 2005-2006 and could only find a few across india. Looks like most buyers preferred LXi then.
It's ironic that some 15 years later, a few (or just one) enthusiasts would go looking particularly for a non-power-steering one.
Old 21st October 2019, 12:40   #610
Senior - BHPian

Zen was always a dream vehicle. When I wanted the Zen I had no money, when I had the money Zen's were pretty old.

Until my wife asked me if I could find her an old beater to learn driving I thought getting one will be next to impossible.

I own a 2004 VXi in pearl Yellow color. Now like every single vehicle I this is going to get the full treatment.

Zen and the art of maintaining it-img_0635.jpg
Zen and the art of maintaining it-img_0636.jpg
Zen and the art of maintaining it-img_0637.jpg

The height is increased, the front left lowering arm is bad. All 4 tyres are dry rotted. the electricals are a mess, tail lights, indicators and one headlight work. the power windows need servicing. All 4 door pads need replacement.

Has a lot of auxiliary gauges on the dash, none work

There is no battery tray, or battery lock. The central locking works but also locks you in at times.

I have started procuring new parts from Boodmo. However there are certain things that are missing in Boodmo, Things like Door pads for VXi, OE steering wheel, Golf ball Gear knob that came in the wagon R.

Need your help in procuring these parts. will start a new thread. This one is going to be DYI.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 17:49   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I have started procuring new parts from Boodmo. However there are certain things that are missing in Boodmo, Things like Door pads for VXi, OE steering wheel, Golf ball Gear knob that came in the wagon R.

Need your help in procuring these parts. will start a new thread. This one is going to be DYI.

Pramod
Check out Amco Spares near your place, they sell original spares.
If you are in Navi Mumbai/Mumbai, Shetty motors
Is another reliable store where you can get spares.
Old 14th November 2019, 16:05   #612
Senior - BHPian

My recently acquired 2004 Zen and under restoration.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 14th November 2019 at 16:06.
Old 21st February 2020, 15:37   #613
BHPian

Hi. I've used a 2000 model carb Zen for 265000km so far.... The last (almost) 200000 km on LPG. Resultantly, now with phasing out of LPG and being back to depend on petrol, I've found out that the carburetor is having problems working on petrol. It was overhauled about 5 years ago when all the linkages had become stiff and jets ?clogged. (The accelerator pedal used to feel very heavy and throttle response was poor, mileage was down. That worked wonders then, but having re overhauled the carburetor this time (3 weeks ago), the problems have not been sorted. There is no cold start or idling issue, but as soon as the throttle is opened, the engine dies out from lack of fuel. This also leads to a lot of jerkiness if not complete stalling when moving from a standstill, no matter whether engine is cold or warm. During overhauling, besides thorough cleaning of the body interiors, all the channels, holes, nozzles, - all the inner parts - air screws, jets, needles, power valve spring/diaphragms, float pin and packing (gaskets) were changed. The secondary butterfly still does not open at high speeds and the car feels very heavy and doesn't go beyond 80-90kmph, where it previously would have easily done 120kmph. Once the car is in motion, it does not stall unless brought to a halt or crawling speed in low gear in traffic, but feels very reluctant to accelerate, even with no AC. Now after having shown this issue to 2-3 different mechanics including the one who had previously overhauled my carb, they've said 2 things. First, some channels might still be blocked within the body of the carb as a result of long term LPG use and second, the external diaphragms - the one for the secondary and the one looked to the power valve are not functioning. I have been advised to look for a new carb with all the diaphragms or a 2nd hand (which will be unpredictable until it is actually tested on the car). I wish to know - is there anything that has been overlooked so far or should I proceed to replace? Any inputs appreciated from the carb experts. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th February 2020, 21:50   #614
BHPian

I once had a 118 NE which was converted to LPG. However, while buying the car pre-owned, I got the kit removed. Just like in your case, cranking and idling did not have any issues. It would run fine for around a kilometer with light foot. The moment I would depress the accelerator any harder, the car would die. Turned out there was a very fine mesh at the inlet of fuel line on the carb. Once that was removed / cleaned, things were back to normal.
The other thing I can think of is the clogged fuel lines. Since the car has run very little on petrol for a long time, chances of corrosion cannot be rules out. Also check if the fuel pump is able to pump adequate amount of fuel when accelerated?
Along with fuel line, the fuel pump can also be the culprit.

Please ignore if you have already checked these and found them satisfactory though!

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 24th February 2020 at 21:51.
Old 26th May 2020, 20:17   #615
BHPian

Hi all.
There is a metal pipe leading out from the side of the exhaust manifold that runs back and upwards towards the RHS of the carb. It turns towards the air cleaner, where there is a ?Valve on it and a rubber hose connecting this to the air cleaner box. Of late, this pipe started getting extremely hot, probably damaging the valve, leading to this excessively hot air entering the air cleaner, which resulted in a great loss of pickup and acceleration. Eventually the rubber hose cracked and feel apart due to the heat. There is a black sooty smoke that comes out now from this pipe/valve, that smells like exhaust fines from the 1980s! I can even smell it in the cabin. I've had to disconnect this valve from the air cleaner as the engine would just die from suffocation breathing those fumes. Could anyone probably know the reason/problem behind this? One mechanic mentioned it could be because of the main exhaust outlets being blocked. However I can see condensed water coming out of the tailpipe but only when the engine is revved high. Also, a black deposit sprays out of it occasionally. The entire engine bay gets overheated and I can see coolant overflowing it from the tank at times. Even the accelerator cable that runs very close to that valve got so hot, that it resulted in melting of the plastic cover and pedal getting stuck in whatever position it would be in! It almost becomes an automatic cruise control, however with no control to reduce the speed. I managed to disconnect and clean the cable (black with carbon soot), oil it and make it free after removing the melted plastic cover of the cable. Due to the lockdown (& being a doctor), I've been driving around in this state daily for the past 2 months; sometimes 100km/day. Whatever roadside mechanics that are open these days have no idea about this issue. Any help and advice on this forum would be greatly appreciated. On reflection, I am wondering if the previous issues regarding the carb (stalling on accelerator input, which is still ongoing) could be related to this exhaust blockage?

Last edited by Zen2001 : 26th May 2020 at 20:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks