Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 14:42   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
jaggu,
Even after doing that the REAL action of clutch engage<->disengage is short. Rest is all play.
Did you tighten OR loosen the cable? and do you mean the clutch dis-engage at the end (pedal depressed)?
Old 2nd November 2009, 00:43   #32
BHPian

Old age issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
My carb zen even is showing up niggles once in a while. It has run 1,13,000 KMs.

=============
or if any new, kindly post here so as to proactively get the problem fixed or checked!
Hi. My carb Zen (2001) too has done 115K km to date, and as expected, I have had to take care of identical issues -

1. Combination switch replaced (only high beam contact burnt as it probably could not handle 60W over 7 years) - upgraded headlamps to 100/90W & got a relay.

2. Suspension struts replaced, overhauled, steering coulmn tie rods, brake pads replaced (around 60K km) & all tyres soon thereafter - got Apollo Amazer XL

3. Alternator replaced at 87K km (battery light kept coming on despite charged battery) - Denso alternator. Interestingly the battery lasted almost 5 yrs!

4. A/C - loss of cooling evident after 95K km - had to change expansion valve & Receiver dryer in addition to routine A/C servicing and R12 gas

5. Starter solenoid problem (around 112K km) - while cranking, sometimes the starter motor failed to "engage" giving just a clicking sound ; at other times a screeching one, as if it were "slipping". MASS initially said it needed replacement, but strangely they managed to "clean & repair" the part - keeping my finger's crossed!

6. Rear wheel bearings - changed @88K km as they were making a "rumbling"noise.

7. Not an issue, but just to mention that I retrofitted a Lovato LPG kit @ 80K km (1 yr ago).

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd November 2009 at 12:26. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts, Thanks
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

more old age issues

Some more old age issue

1.hand brake cable was snapped. Replaced it for 450 rupees.

2. Fuel tank lid is not shutting. Oiled it. Now i am able to shut it but need to show it to MASS next time.

3. Now gear shift has become quite notch Even this needs to be checked. Horn stopped working after couple of feeble honkings.

When i revv hard, horn is back to normal. So now if it doesnt honk, i dis-engage the clutch accelarate and HONK

Experts, kindly advice possible cause!
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Hi. My carb Zen (2001) too has done 115K km to date, and as expected, I have had to take care of identical issues -
============
7. Not an issue, but just to mention that I retrofitted a Lovato LPG kit @ 80K km (1 yr ago).
Could you please let us know, how much you spent on these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
@GTO, could you please provide me information on other components as well? The SC guy was telling me that suspension overhaul is needed for every 10K kms and the clutch plates need to be replaced after 40K kms.
Can anyone post the list of components and their age, like "suspension overhaul is required at 40 - 50 K, the clutch at 60 - 80K kms".

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd November 2009 at 17:42. Reason: Back to back posts, use multi quote please.
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:

3. Now gear shift has become quite notch. Even this needs to be checked. Horn stopped working after couple of feeble honkings.

When i revv hard, horn is back to normal. So now if it doesnt honk, i dis-engage the clutch accelarate and HONK

1. If your clutch is not worn out, get transmission oil changed.
2. Battery?
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Horn stopped working after couple of feeble honkings.

Here battery is your culprit. I beleive it has konked off. Take it to a battery shop and see the output and ask the guy to do a load test.
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Here battery is your culprit. I beleive it has konked off. Take it to a battery shop and see the output and ask the guy to do a load test.
If the battery has enough juice to crank the car then it definitely has enough juice to power the horn.

I would look for a loose wire somewhere in the horn's circuit.
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys

@jigbarai & ElantraGT

Thanks guys. I will check it next week when i go home.

Even I had a doubt its case of old battery. I had similar issue a year back. MASS had replaced old horn with Wagon-R horn. it was working well till now but again its not honking

Anyways will update the thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:35   #39
BHPian

Updating costs of repairs undertaken so far...

Carb Zen (2001) 115K km - (time of replacements in previous post)

1. Combination switch (1700 + 125 labour) Headlamps to 100/90W & PMP relay (850 + 150 labour).

2. Suspension struts replaced (5200), overhauled (labour - 825), steering coulmn tie rods (1200 incl labour), brake pads replaced (1000 incl labour) Apollo Amazer XL (7250 for 5 tyres)

3. Alternator - Denso alternator (4500 + 350 labour).

4. A/C - expansion valve (1400) & Receiver dryer (1100) in addition to routine A/C servicing and R12 gas (900)

5. Starter solenoid problem - MASS repaired the part (520 incl labour)- keeping my finger's crossed!

6. Rear wheel bearings (560 + 250 labour).

7. Lovato LPG kit (13500 + 2500 labour + 100 RTO)

PS: All work done (except A/C & LPG kit) @ MASS, all replaced parts OEM; price includes 12.5% VAT
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:26   #40
BHPian

Finally I took my car for service yesterday to RNS motors yeshwantpur. I spend the whole day at the service station working/watching with the technicians. I took permission from service advisor able to watch my car getting serviced.
Did quite a few things...Below is the list:
1)Engine oil Changed to Magnetec (i took this with me) + 3M Engine Oil Additive as engine had sludge/carbon
2)Gear Box oil Changed
3)Brake Oil Changed
4)Coolant Changed
4)All Filters
5)All Spark Plugs
6)Tappet Adjustment
7)Front all disc pads changed
8)Carb Top disassembly and cleaning with Carb & Choke can and nice setting
9)Wheel Alignment and balancing with tyre rotation

All this costed me ard 5K. Car now runs very smooth with very less noise, more like humming...

Pickup has increase a lot and every low rpm torque. Lot of things were totally worn-out. Improvement was expected after spending 5K! Below is updated list of things :

Quote:
Good I found this thread. I had few concerns. People on this thread are expirenced Zen owners just like me

I will finally be going next week for service. Havent decided on which MASS.

Mostly Suraksha on Hosur road or RNS Yeshwantpur. Please let me know if you know some other MASS where your baby ZEN was handled impressively. This is my first service after i bought the car so you can understand the fear!!!

I have mentioned things TODO apart from 5000kms service which includes all fuild changed and overall inspection. Please let me know if some thing specific should be checked.

Things I noted down TODO:
1) Carb cleanup and overhaul (all jets checked & leaks checked, all vaccumm checked) and some perfect tuing from an exprienced hand (hopefully) -- Done
2) Air Filter changed/cleaned. How abt K&N stock replacement? -- Done with STOCK
3) Brakes are sqeeking and not strong. Any BKM? -- Done - Maruti OEM
4) Engine oil change to Castrol Magnetec (should I do a mild engine flush?) -- Changed with 3M additive. No Flush, said cant do a CARB engine (not sure if this is true)
5) my cluch is very short, like the engage and disengage dipress is short. I tried to add some play by looseing it but engage and disengage depression needed is same. Not sure why. Cluch doesnt slip at any gear. Any reason? -- Its Fine the way it works
6) Idling lil high and not smooth (may be due to 1 & 2) -- Still high but smooth - Not sure why they kept it high

Also recommened me any MASS in Blore who took care of your Carb Zen issues.

PS: I wanted to spend the day at service station for my curiosity as well as want things to be done perfectly. Do MASS allow customers to inspect the service?
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:33   #41
Team-BHP Support

Glad that you are happy with the car, idle can be reduced but that can sometimes cause unwanted vibration, especially when the radiator fan kicks in. As long as the car is not jerking and pulling clean, let it be.

Engine flush can be done, but if the car has done more than 50k kms without one better avoid it. Instead replace the oil every 5k kms and soon you will get the internals cleaned up automatically.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:43   #42
BHPian

Higher idle isnt causing issues. However sometimes i feel car moving on its own in 1st/2nd gear.

Technicianthere recommended to add 3M engine oil additive for next 1 one change also. He said it does help reduce carbon but not clean totally which is OK.

Is this true or just customer satisfaction?

Last edited by devrajman : 3rd November 2009 at 11:46.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Devraj ,excellent , nice way to spend money truely .
Could give breakup of individual parts including magnatec?
All filters, what all filters ?

Last edited by black12rr : 3rd November 2009 at 12:09.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:47   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this true or just customer satisfaction?
I really dont know how much these stuff works but one things is sure, they dont do any harm either. So should be worth it and helps to remove some amount of gunk from within the engine.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:35   #45
BHPian

@Jaggu,
Your right. Something is better than nothing!

@black12rr
Magnetec I bought from Metro costed ard 1K for 4L can. Rest bill is at home. Will post it by tomorrow. All filter means, air filter, oil filter & petrol filter.

I had actually recommended them to do carb overhaul, but after inspection they said, its not required. They just removed the top, cleaned everything by Carb&Choke Can. I could see it getting whiter, like pure aluminium color. Then high-speed jet he said was wobbling and not fitting tight. He corrected that too. After listening to engine sound he said, we will better do tappet adjustment than carb as thats fine! Good Attitude..I must say!

Front disc Brake pads are replaced and rear were scrubbed, but it isnt like other cars, Thud and Stop! Still a lil loose. :-(

Last edited by devrajman : 3rd November 2009 at 13:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks