Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 17:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

There are not going to be any issues of running Euro III grade petrol on a Euro IV vehicle or vice versa. The only difference is that in Euro IV the petrol is going to be cleaner and we would be paying a marginal cost for the slightly better quality fuel
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:01   #47
BHPian

guys,
have a doubt( might be dumb! :-D)
As of what i know the ritz range is BSIV compliant from the day it was launched. Same goes for the kappa engines( i guess so) . If then, how can these cars run in the 2 tier cities, or be it even the metros even before the implementation of BS IV?

Read in T-Bhp somewhere that use of BS-II or BS-III fuels in BS-IV vehicles can cause damage of filters, etc.
If so , what is the solution????
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
As most countries are migrating to stringent emission norms, this is one step in implementing the norm in India. As this will happen only in a phased manner, so the major cities are covered in the first phase. This prevents the manufacturer from selling BSIII/EIII vehicles in these cities. Thats it.

Spike
thanks Spike for the reply and clarifications, so it is applicable not only for fuels but also for the vehicles.
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
How is it that M800 is not selling in Euro 4 petrol cities if running Euro 3 car with Euro 4 petrol is not an issue.
Migrating a engine from a emission standard to higher emission standard requires change in lot of things inside the engine apart from just cleaner fuel. These changes include using Turbo, IC, different fuel injection system et al. Since M800 is already leading an extended life as per its Product Life Cycle, MUL has decided not to invest any money to get these changes done. So rather than drastically stop its production, they want to gradually phase it out. Till then they will MILK it as much as possible
Old 7th May 2010, 11:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Guys, whats up ? This thread should be the talk of the town, I mean TBHP !!

Can the mods please put this as a Sticky thread for the information it shows.

Can anyone help me with the following configurations.

1. What is a Euro 3 compliant car is run on Euro 4 Petrol/Diesel ?
2. What if a Euro 4 compliant car is run on Euro 3 Petrol/Diesel (considering the guy travels to such cities)
3. Is there something like Euro 2 level petrol too ? Where is this available ?
4. What is the fuel in remote areas like Leh etc ?
5. How about even older cars which would be Euro 2 compliant, is it safe to run that car on Euro 4 petrol/diesel (as the person is staying in one of the 13 metros)

Any effects ? Or just fill it and continue driving as before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Euro 3 and Euro 4 are emission standards determining the CO,HC,NOx and PM limits for a vehicle. The answers for your questions are-
1. No problem, Euro 4 will be a much cleaner fuel
2. No problem in driveability, but the after treatment systems will get clogged, fuel system service intervals will change.
5. No problem again.

Spike

I am also interested to get this clarified. What happens when a E IV car travels to a E III city? Will the fuel not cause any issues with the catcon? Similarly what happens when one fills fuel for a E III car at a place where only E II fuel is still available?

I will be doing a 500 KM round trip tomorrow by E III Alto and will be passing through Pondicherry where fuel will be a lot cheaper than TN. I am tempted to fill there en route but have a fear it may still be E II fuel. So I am planning to fill my tank at the Shell pump before starting.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:53   #51
Team-BHP Support

First of all diesels will have more problems, for petrols hardly any issues.
So if E-IV cars goes to E-III city.
first on highway E-IV car will not go to E-III city for some time. It will go to E-II city. Expect more trouble for emission control systems. As SPIKE mentioned, earlier service may have to be done for particulate filters and such.
For your alto E-III vs E-II will not make a difference. All fuel in India is unleaded. So don't worry.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:47   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Similarly what happens when one fills fuel for a E III car at a place where only E II fuel is still available?
Your engine will knock, that's what happens (especially if you're driving an expensive car). EII Fuel = 88 Octane, EIII Fuel = 91 Octane.

This situation is typical (though not as bad as) the time when catalytic converters became the norm. I remember having to extend an outstation trip in my Zen by 2 - 3 days, simply because the only petrol pump in Nasik that carried unleaded had run out of supplies.
Old 7th May 2010, 20:02   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
first on highway E-IV car will not go to E-III city for some time. It will go to E-II city.
There are no E-II cities or towns anymore. Whole of India is E-III or above.

BTW, I live in E-III town, yet the local Maruti dealer is mostly selling E-IV vehicles. How does that compute?
Old 28th June 2010, 04:55   #54
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2010 at 12:46.
Berj79 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th June 2010, 08:17   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
First of all diesels will have more problems, for petrols hardly any issues.
first on highway E-IV car will not go to E-III city for some time. It will go to E-II city. Expect more trouble for emission control systems. As SPIKE mentioned, earlier service may have to be done for particulate filters and such.
For your alto E-III vs E-II will not make a difference. All fuel in India is unleaded. So don't worry.
What would happen if BS3 petrol car is filled with BS4 petrol?
Is BS4 petrol already available in Bombay?

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2010 at 12:47. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 28th June 2010, 19:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

All manufacturers are selling only BS 4 versions in all cities now, irrespective of whether BS 4 is available or not. So i guess there shouldn't be a problem. Just took delivery of a Punto 1.4 at mysore and am facing the same problem (BS 4 car but no BS 4 petrol). The dealer says use only premium fuels which doesn't make sense.. Any advice on what should be done..? Have sent a mail to fiat also for clarification..
Old 2nd September 2010, 20:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

Have any of you guys noticed any difference with this BS IV petrol? For the past three months, I find my bike engine backfiring when I close the throttle at a good speed - you know, like while coming down flyovers at a good clip. There is no difference while running under throttle. This happens with IOC Xtra premium, HP Power, HP normal and even with Shell normal. It does happen a little, but not so noticeable unless you are looking for it, with Shell Super unleaded.

I am unable to say anything about the car as it was always fed Shell super alone, so is as smooth as ever.
Old 21st September 2010, 18:38   #58
BHPian

Damn, I missed this thread before and booked a BS4 Scorpio vlx. Now I am worried about what the quality of the available deisel will do to the engine? Please tell me what to do? Should I change my booking from BS4 to BS3? Is it possible even?
I am worried, big time. Kindly do reply to my query, I would be grateful.

Regards, Janjua.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:55   #59
BANNED

There should in principle be no issues. BS3 and BS4 are both 91RON while BS2 was 88RON. For diesels the Cetane ratings have also been improved. @Gansan try to decoke the engine, it should help. Maybe at some point you had bad fuel which coked up the engine/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks