Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2009, 12:59   #1

Maruti Baleno engine light glows?

Hi T-BHP,

I have been driving a Maruti baleno vxi from last 3+ years with no issue what so ever with it, but just today morning i faced a strange problem. Once i plugged the key it showed all the indication on the dashboard but after starting my car the Engine light(orange) did not go off.
I waited to see if it might go i some time, but it never did.

I switched off and started the car again 2-3 time but the same. Thinking it might be major issue i parked my car back in garage (as I didnt have time to go to a service center) & took my M800 instead.

What i want to know is that is it safe to drive the car in same condition to a MASS or should i call the MASS guys down.

One more thing i also checked the engine oil level in the car and found it at proper level. Also the car had been serviced in november as per the schedule.

Please help guys.
Old 26th December 2009, 16:16   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Most probably, your CMP / O2 sensor has gone kaput. No big deal, just have the authorised service station diagnose & replace. Cost = About 2,000 odd rupees

BTW, good call in parking her back and using the other car. Never drive with the check engine light glowing.

'99 Baleno check engine light on

Another Baleno owner's experience with the engine light
Old 26th December 2009, 16:21   #3
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkonline View Post
Hi T-BHP,

I have been driving a Maruti baleno vxi from last 3+ years with no issue what so ever with it, but just today morning i faced a strange problem. Once i plugged the key it showed all the indication on the dashboard but after starting my car the Engine light(orange) did not go off.
I waited to see if it might go i some time, but it never did.

I switched off and started the car again 2-3 time but the same. Thinking it might be major issue i parked my car back in garage (as I didnt have time to go to a service center) & took my M800 instead.

What i want to know is that is it safe to drive the car in same condition to a MASS or should i call the MASS guys down.

One more thing i also checked the engine oil level in the car and found it at proper level. Also the car had been serviced in november as per the schedule.

Please help guys.
I too had the same problem. it was overhead cam sensor error. you can get the error code generated. They charged 2.2 k for it.
Old 26th December 2009, 18:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Most probably, your CMP / O2 sensor has gone kaput. No big deal, just have the authorised service station diagnose & replace. Cost = About 2,000 odd rupees

BTW, good call in parking her back and using the other car. Never drive with the check engine light glowing.

'99 Baleno check engine light on

Another Baleno owner's experience with the engine light
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
I too had the same problem. it was overhead cam sensor error. you can get the error code generated. They charged 2.2 k for it.
Thanks GTO and V&V for responding early.

I have 2 more query
1) where exactly is the O2 sensor located approx?
2) Today when i was observering the Engine light glow i found a strange thing i.e. when my vehicle is in neutral and steady position with engine running steering towards right or left the tacho shows a rise and then falls back to normal (800rpm if not wrong). is this normal in all cars.

rgds
hlk
Old 26th December 2009, 21:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...when my vehicle is in neutral and steady position with engine running steering towards right or left the tacho shows a rise and then falls back to normal...
Not sure, guessing that Baleno has a hydraulic power steering driven off the engine. When you turn the steering either way, it puts a momentary load, making the motor spin faster to catch up with the load. You will notice similar thing (rpm increase) if you put a sudden load e.g. switch on AC compressor or even headlights. Should be normal- if, the flip in the rpm is not very high.

-BJ
Old 27th December 2009, 07:44   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO and V&V for responding early.

I have 2 more query
1) where exactly is the O2 sensor located approx?
2) Today when i was observering the Engine light glow i found a strange thing i.e. when my vehicle is in neutral and steady position with engine running steering towards right or left the tacho shows a rise and then falls back to normal (800rpm if not wrong). is this normal in all cars.

rgds
hlk
This is normal. it happens in mine baleno too. BJ96 is spot on. Load on engine is making the rpm to fluctuate.
Old 27th December 2009, 09:49   #7
BHPian

+1 to BJ96, it happens on mine as well as other balenos. Funny you havnt noticed it till date.
Old 27th December 2009, 11:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is most probably the O2 sensor. I faced this while out driving in the city. Called up MASS, they asked me the symptoms, and then said it's ok to drive the car to the workshop - a distance of about 5kms. The sensor was changed. No issues since then. This was almost 1.5 yrs ago.
And hydraulic power steering has that effect on the rpm.
Old 25th October 2010, 09:06   #9
BHPian

I have a power steering issue in my Baleno.
I had accident a year before, repaired car. HOwever there was power steering issue , while turning steerling it was making noises. MASS wrongly diagnosed it a power steering Pump issue, ordered Pump and replaced it. Issue persists, then they found dust in Power steering pipes, they said they flushed it gave me the car.
I drove car, found issue gone.

But after couple of months issue reappeared slowly and recently power steering Gave up. Oil leaked and MASS said Power steering Assembly needs to be replaced, which costs 55K approx.

When i asked them why the flushing did not clear all the dust, they said flushing can not clear al dust. What ever best they could do, they have done. Is this statement by MAAS correct?

I still have extended warranty and am following up with MASS since last 2 weeks if it can be replaced within extended warranty. However chance is gleam as they said it's due to impact of accident and power steering rack was replaced during the accident repair. Maruti had asked them history and MASS provided history mentioning "Power Steering Rack" repaced during repair work.

I would need advice in terms how to proceed in this case. I feel MASS could not properly diagnose the problem, which if identified in early stage should not have caused a power steering assembly to fail.
Old 20th November 2010, 00:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I had accident a year before, repaired car. HOwever there was power steering issue , while turning steerling it was making noises. MASS wrongly diagnosed it a power steering Pump issue, ordered Pump and replaced it. Issue persists, then they found dust in Power steering pipes, they said they flushed it gave me the car.

But after couple of months issue reappeared slowly and recently power steering Gave up. Oil leaked and MASS said Power steering Assembly needs to be replaced, which costs 55K approx.

When i asked them why the flushing did not clear all the dust, they said flushing can not clear al dust. What ever best they could do, they have done. Is this statement by MAAS correct?

I still have extended warranty and am following up with MASS since last 2 weeks if it can be replaced within extended warranty. However chance is gleam as they said it's due to impact of accident and power steering rack was replaced during the accident repair. Maruti had asked them history and MASS provided history mentioning "Power Steering Rack" repaced during repair work.

I would need advice in terms how to proceed in this case. I feel MASS could not properly diagnose the problem, which if identified in early stage should not have caused a power steering assembly to fail.
Just two questions:
  1. Was the car repaired at the MASS for accident
  2. If it was why did they not check it ?
Just tell them that if they didn't check it then, that's their problem. You had reposed your full faith on them to get the car repaired and you can't be blamed for their incompetence.Tell them that you had the chance then to get it changed under insurance and since they hadn't done it then, they should do it now under warranty. These are general fobbing off techniques and you shouldn't buy it.

I suggest you escalate the matters further within Maruti. I see a genuine case of ASC incompetence and they trying to milk the customer accordingly as it might not pass the warranty test and the ASC might have to foot the bill.
Old 20th November 2010, 02:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just two questions:
Just tell them that if they didn't check it then, that's their problem. You had reposed your full faith on them to get the car repaired and you can't be blamed for their incompetence.Tell them that you had the chance then to get it changed under insurance and since they hadn't done it then, they should do it now under warranty. These are general fobbing off techniques and you shouldn't buy it.

I suggest you escalate the matters further within Maruti. I see a genuine case of ASC incompetence and they trying to milk the customer accordingly as it might not pass the warranty test and the ASC might have to foot the bill.
Old 24th November 2010, 19:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Just two questions:

Yes it was repaired at MASS. Now they are saying since after accident car was not towed instead we drove the car thats why It'll void warranty. I asked them where it's documented, they never gave any answer. I know they are playing pranks. I'm waiting since last 1 month for this warranty thing and fed up with these guys.
Not sure which one is Maruti compaint official website. Not much hope but i'll complain.

However i'm now eager to solve this issue and looking for good mechanic in bangalore who can give reasons why it's gone bad, what part is issue etc.

Thanks for your reply again Milecruncher.
Old 25th November 2010, 07:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was repaired at MASS. Now they are saying since after accident car was not towed instead we drove the car thats why It'll void warranty. I asked them where it's documented, they never gave any answer. I know they are playing pranks. I'm waiting since last 1 month for this warranty thing and fed up with these guys.
Not sure which one is Maruti compaint official website. Not much hope but i'll complain.
Thats load of bull. The ASC is supposed to fix the car from what you brought to them.

I suggest to speak to the local Service Head. You can find the details of the local MUL office from Justdial

All the best in getting this sorted.

Don't give up.

Cheers
Old 25th November 2010, 12:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
However i'm now eager to solve this issue and looking for good mechanic in bangalore who can give reasons why it's gone bad, what part is issue etc.
Is the poweresteering rack leaking the oil from it's seals?
Old 25th November 2010, 18:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Is the poweresteering rack leaking the oil from it's seals?
Today i took car to Fastcars in bannerghatta Road. They said they will open the Rack and fix it. Seems like you are right, its leaking from its seals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks