Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
The master key starts the car opens the boot but doesn't open the doors. Its not a big problem now since I use the remote to open it anyway but its scary when I can start the car and while the car is running I can remove the key from the slot and the car keeps running.
Why has Toyota made stupid keys for this car? Mine opens the doors, starts the engine but doesn't open the damn boot. And no, I can't remove the key from the slot when engine's running. That's just ridiculous
Old 25th March 2010, 11:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Guys I might need some help with a worn out master key for my 2003 Corolla. The A S S says it will take a month and 5k for a new key. Is there anything I can do about it?

The master key starts the car opens the boot but doesn't open the doors. Its not a big problem now since I use the remote to open it anyway but its scary when I can start the car and while the car is running I can remove the key from the slot and the car keeps running.

Help!
Toyota does charge 5k per key. Infact remote keys are more expensive. Since your remote key is functional, its still ok. But i will suggest you get the master key checked. Can be quite a tricky situation if you forget the remote key inside and then cannot open the doors with your master key.
But when and whenever you give the keys to Toyota for replacement, make sure you give all 3 keys (even if just 1 key needs replacement). Also while collecting the keys back, make sure you check if all 3 keys are fully functional (can lock/unlock doors, boot and start the engine) in front of the dealer.
I really had to go through a lot of headache for forgetting the latter.
razrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2010, 20:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
Toyota does charge 5k per key. Infact remote keys are more expensive. Since your remote key is functional, its still ok. But i will suggest you get the master key checked. Can be quite a tricky situation if you forget the remote key inside and then cannot open the doors with your master key.
But when and whenever you give the keys to Toyota for replacement, make sure you give all 3 keys (even if just 1 key needs replacement). Also while collecting the keys back, make sure you check if all 3 keys are fully functional (can lock/unlock doors, boot and start the engine) in front of the dealer.
I really had to go through a lot of headache for forgetting the latter.
Thanks Razrman. I am not going to get a new key just as yet. I am using the valet key for now. But when I get the key replaced I'll make sure to check.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:23   #19
BHPian

I got my Corolla back yesterday. The key problem has been solved (free of cost) and all 3 keys are fully functional. Got the car serviced too since it was lying unused since a month.

Also worth mentioning is I had written to Autocar India about this problem and they were very co-operative. They got in touch with Toyota and thats when things started rolling faster. Got a call from dealer in a couple of days agreeing to solving the problem free of cost.

But most importantly, thanks guys for your valuable inputs.
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

good to hear razrman that your problem got solved.

For someone who doesnt has corolla, can anyone explain the funda of 3 keys !!
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:45   #21
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
I had written to Autocar India about this problem and they were very co-operative. They got in touch with Toyota and thats when things started rolling faster. Got a call from dealer in a couple of days agreeing to solving the problem free of cost.
Thanks to Autocar India, your problem is solved. Without their help, I think, Toyoto would have charged you with one-third of the cost.

Old 2nd April 2010, 16:18   #22
BHPian

My 2006 innova has a similiar problem I never thought of it until reading this thread . The key which I have been using since 4 yrs now does nt turn the ignition at all . Although it can unlock door and dickey today I matched the grooves in it they seem to be slightly mismatched and even the 2nd key which I am using now comes out of the ignition with a glitch ! What should I do ??
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:51   #23
BHPian

I have 1 key and both the remote keys were misplaced by the earlier owner. Can someone give me a fair idea on the costs that might be incurred on the same?
Old 14th April 2010, 11:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
For someone who doesnt has corolla, can anyone explain the funda of 3 keys !!
Sure. Toyota provided me with 3 keys at the time of purchase of the car.
1. Remote key : For Remote locking/unlocking. Basically the main key.
2. Master key : Just in case, you lose the first one (similar to 'spare' or 'backup' key provided by other manufactures)
3. Valet key : For giving to the valet parking guys. Should only lock/unlock doors and start/stop the engine. Should not lock/unlock the boot and the glove box. But surprisingly my valet key does it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks to Autocar India, your problem is solved. Without their help, I think, Toyoto would have charged you with one-third of the cost.
Even I feel the same. I had been getting very cold responses and lame excuses from Toyota customer care since more than a month. But things moved rapidly after contacting Autocar India. Thanks Autocar!

This story has been published in the 'What Car?' mag in April 2010 issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
My 2006 innova has a similiar problem I never thought of it until reading this thread . The key which I have been using since 4 yrs now does nt turn the ignition at all . Although it can unlock door and dickey today I matched the grooves in it they seem to be slightly mismatched and even the 2nd key which I am using now comes out of the ignition with a glitch ! What should I do ??
If your car is under warranty, get the keys replaced immediately at your dealership. Replacing them out of warranty can be a costly affair. But make sure you get all your keys replaced and check them while taking delivery. Also ask Toyota and stick to the point that why you cannot start your car with Master key until Toyota (or dealership) gives you a satisfactory answer or take co-operative actions. You could bargain on the price of the new key since its not your fault that the original key fails to start the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I have 1 key and both the remote keys were misplaced by the earlier owner. Can someone give me a fair idea on the costs that might be incurred on the same?
I was quoted roughly around Rs.6000 for 1 remote key. Non remote keys (master/valet) would be cheaper.

Last edited by razrman : 14th April 2010 at 11:44. Reason: grammatical errors
Old 15th April 2010, 13:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the update.

so let me understand.

1. Remote key - It has remote unlocking/locking functionality + starting the engine + doors lock + boot lock + glovebox lock (now is there a lock for glovebox too !)

2. Master Key - same as remote key, just a duplicate

3. Valet Key -- It has non-remote unlocking/locking functionality (manually keying in and unlocking) + starting the engine
Old 15th April 2010, 15:24   #26
BANNED

I am afraid modern cars with immobilizers do cost a bomb for a new key -5000-7000 is typical.

I have heard many Corolla owners complain about keys getting worn out.

Last edited by sgiitk : 15th April 2010 at 15:27.
Old 15th April 2010, 18:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
thanks for the update.

so let me understand.

1. Remote key - It has remote unlocking/locking functionality + starting the engine + doors lock + boot lock + glovebox lock (now is there a lock for glovebox too !)

2. Master Key - same as remote key, just a duplicate

3. Valet Key -- It has non-remote unlocking/locking functionality (manually keying in and unlocking) + starting the engine
Correct. Only thing is your Master key may be a remote one or a non-remote one. Surprisingly its a non-remote one in my Corolla (highest variant) and a remote one in my Innova (one below highest variant).
Old 28th April 2010, 14:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Keyless (no) entry P R Deshprabhu - Toyota Corolla ECM Failure ??

The WhatCar issue I bought yesterday has an interesting tale. A Mr. P. R. Deshprabhu who owns a Toyota Corolla got his keys replaced by Toyota as the original remote locking buttons had worn out. The keys replaced were the remote key, master key and valet key, and were done under warranty. One fine day Mr Deshprabhu misplaced the remote key and tried to use his master key to operate the car. He found that the engine wouldn't start at all. After registering a complaint with Toyota's customer service, the dealership tried to start the car, but to no avail. After towing it to the workshop the diagnosis given by the Toyota dealership to the customer was, using the master key and actuating the accelerator and brake pedals of the car, the ECM had been reset and it no longer recognized the new keys.

The customer reportedly sought help from WhatCar, and the report mentions the car was being repaired (the ECM being replaced), but it was unclear who would bear the cost of the same.

That sounds scarily similar to the Skoda/Tata incidents reported here. Does anyone know this Mr. Deshprabhu and can we get some firsthand info on this matter, as well as what to do in case you lose/wear out your original remote key?
Old 9th June 2010, 22:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Now I feel good that I don't have remote unlocking on my key, just the stupid key itself. And I just got a master key made from Toyota once and for all. It cost Rs. 2,300/- and it's required to be configured to the car or something. Planning to take the car in this Saturday.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:15   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Corolla key problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Now I feel good that I don't have remote unlocking on my key, just the stupid key itself. And I just got a master key made from Toyota once and for all. It cost Rs. 2,300/- and it's required to be configured to the car or something. Planning to take the car in this Saturday.
Could you get the duplicate key made?
  1. How much did it cost to make the spare key?
  2. How much time?
  3. Does the car need to be taken to TOYOTA or just the key would do?
I'm asking as I have just got a 2003 H4 but have only one key,and the plate which has a number on it is also not available

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks