Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post

simply, india DOES NOT deserve fast cars.
So who deserves it? US? Where a Corolla can go as fast as a Murcielago.
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:40   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
So who deserves it? US? Where a Corolla can go as fast as a Murcielago.
good point. in that case germany deserves it and so do we since we have some nice highways and no one follows the speed limits.lol
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:56   #48
BHPian

Quote:
as the 'per capita bhp' grows higher and higher, it is beyond doubt that our roads will turn into dangerous death-traps given the anarchy that's sure to prevail.
you are sure missing it buddy,
Safety doesn't have any direct relation to bhp of a car. A Maruti Alto can go at a 100+kph speed which is quiet dangerous for our roads. But a car with more bhp will have better breaks making it safer than a Alto at the same speed. A car with more bhp will probably have ABS and EBD which will make it even safer at the same 100+kph speed.

Also for safe overtaking it is must to have a powerful car. I would say as power increases it becomes safer to overtake.

Quote:
huh.. go sit in a bullock-cart then, I think thats only thing that we deserve

Quote:
the next time a monster of an engine is plonked into an indian car, look at it as one more step towards a dangerous trend.
dangerous or not, I believe that its a step in right direction which ever way you look at it.
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:59   #49
Awaiting Email Confirmation

the only reason we need more hp is for the beast inside us who superficially makes each one of us feel that we are faster than the other...basically its an ego feed for some and a comfort zone for the other..either way dont be surprised if you see a plain silver swift overtaking you at the traffic stop,youre in mumbai you just cant help it...
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh hai thar!! Next economic superpower and all - India. For now we will be content paying vulgar import duties, once the scene changes, roads or no roads your going to have only monsters on the roads
Old 3rd October 2007, 02:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
<Safety doesn't have any direct relation to bhp of a car. A Maruti Alto can go at a 100+kph speed which is quiet dangerous for our roads. But a car with more bhp will have better breaks making it safer than a Alto at the same speed. A car with more bhp will probably have ABS and EBD which will make it even safer at the same 100+kph speed.>

Safety has a direct relation to the madness that power puts into speed freaks (who, btw, abound everywhere - t-bhp included). I'm sure you will drive an Alto at speeds that are saner for the driver to handle and considering the horrific road conditions we have, than in a monster-machine.

You know what doesn't have a direct relation to bhp of a car? It's the 'breaks' that you mention. Of course you know that good brakes can be put on ANY car. And they ought to be put on every car.

Your car brakes may always be up to any insane power your engine may belt out, but remember that more often than not, it's the driver who's the cause of the accident - not the car. High speed driving is not for the ordinary Joe with no training, barelling down highways through villages. Faster the car in indian conditions, greater is the challenge to the driver. and here, most drivers fail.

admit that most accidents you see on highways involving passenger cars these days are due to overspeeding. not because the car wasn't safe. you JUST DON'T NEED to do a 150 kph run on our roads.

<Also for safe overtaking it is must to have a powerful car. I would say as power increases it becomes safer to overtake.>

Agreed.

<huh.. go sit in a bullock-cart then, I think thats only thing that we deserve>

Don't get so up and personal pal, i will decide where to sit.

<dangerous or not, I believe that its a step in right direction which ever way you look at it.>
Danger is THE parameter to decide if a step is in the right direction or not - whether you love speed or not.
Old 3rd October 2007, 02:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
you are sure missing it buddy,
Safety doesn't have any direct relation to bhp of a car. A Maruti Alto can go at a 100+kph speed which is quiet dangerous for our roads. But a car with more bhp will have better breaks making it safer than a Alto at the same speed. A car with more bhp will probably have ABS and EBD which will make it even safer at the same 100+kph speed.
Safety has a direct relation to the madness that power puts into speed freaks (who, btw, abound everywhere - t-bhp included). I'm sure you will drive an Alto at speeds that are saner for the driver to handle and considering the horrific road conditions we have, than in a monster-machine.

You know what doesn't have a direct relation to bhp of a car? It's the 'breaks' that you mention. Of course you know that good brakes can be put on ANY car. And they ought to be put on every car.

Your car brakes may always be up to any insane power your engine may belt out, but remember that more often than not, it's the driver who's the cause of the accident - not the car. High speed driving is not for the ordinary Joe with no training, barelling down highways through villages. Faster the car in indian conditions, greater is the challenge to the driver. and here, most drivers fail.

admit that most accidents you see on highways involving passenger cars these days are due to overspeeding. you JUST DON'T NEED to do a 150 kph run on our roads.

Quote:
huh.. go sit in a bullock-cart then, I think thats only thing that we deserve
Don't get so up and personal pal, i will decide where to sit.

Quote:
dangerous or not, I believe that its a step in right direction which ever way you look at it
Danger is THE parameter to decide if a step is in the right direction or not - whether you love speed or not.
Old 3rd October 2007, 02:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
but remember that more often than not, it's the driver who's the cause of the accident - not the car.

admit that most accidents you see on highways involving passenger cars these days are due to overspeeding. you JUST DON'T NEED to do a 150 kph run on our roads.
You said it all there. Its the driver not the car. BHP or no BHP drive safe and you will be safe. Don't balme the poor horsepower.

Quote:
Wrong. Progress is the parameter to decide if a step is in right direction or not. And in auto industry BHP = progress. As power increases everything else has to improve with it.
Old 3rd October 2007, 03:13   #54
BHPian

vabs, i understand the need for speed, for fun, for thrills. but perhaps we will realise how much safer the 'good ol days' were, only as we look back into history some 10 years later. reserve all your bhp for the autobahn and its replicas. indian roads are an adventure sporting ground already.

one example, and i am out of the argument -

give an idiot a TVS50 and see him zip around crazily around town. sure he CAN kill himself or others. not denying that. but give the same speed-monkey a busa and watch him go berserk. no ventilated discs will prevent someone crazed with speed from digging his grave. the difference between the TVS50 and the Busa was the difference between CAN and WILL. and do remember this is no hypothetical character. this is exactly the sort of people infesting the roads in teeming millions. sad reality, this.

speed's good for the pulse. but for little else.

Last edited by skandyhere : 3rd October 2007 at 03:18.
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:26   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Skandy, when your upgrading to a more powerful car or bike you need to be able to understand HOW to control it. Those who don't DESERVE it when they crash. You ought to give respect to your ride & it will give you respect in return. As you said, most accidents are caused by driver error than the vehicle themselves. Its the idiot on the bike/car that is the root cause of all problems, not that monster under the hood. If you cannot control it, you don't deserve the ride. As simple as that.
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

I would, any day, go for higher torque than a higher HP car. Like the saying goes we pay for HP but drive torque.
Old 3rd October 2007, 13:49   #57
Team-BHP Support

I remember reading a story long back about a company, which had a policy on hammer sizes.
Everyone was to use a 10 lbs hammer.
So even if you were superman, you could not use a bigger hammer because the weaker guys would be at a disadvantage.

I will never ever let my weakness stand against the strenght of another's choice.
and will never let someone else's weakness bring me down.
Old 7th October 2007, 22:25   #58
BHPian

mclaren, you've hit the point exactly. but the implications are different. do you believe that the implications of getting in monstrous cars in india would be the same as in the US or elsewhere? all you need to do is imagine 150 bhp+ cars in the hands of every tom, dick & harry (translate into indian names pls) on our highways and tell me if you think our roads will not be infinitely more dangerous than what they are right now.

if it can be acknowledged that more powerful engines will lead to a lot more crashes and deaths - within the car and without, sadly - why do we refuse to acknowledge that our amazing indian highways just do not deserve high-powered cars?

now this argument is not going on in the parliament or something - which means nothing's going to come of it... but i think we need to rethink and confront our attitudes. the bottomline is - since there aren't many who drive sanely, higher powered vehicles only makes the scene much worse. that's my stream of thought, which apparently isn't too convincing since it would mean sacrificing 'pleasure'. disaster is when pleasure takes precedence over thought.

it will not suffice to think about how good a powerful car would be in your own experienced hands. one needs to imagine what happens when every nit-wit on the road will also weild a high-speed missile in his hands.

Last edited by skandyhere : 7th October 2007 at 22:29.
Old 7th October 2007, 22:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
but give the same speed-monkey a busa and watch him go berserk. no ventilated discs will prevent someone crazed with speed from digging his grave.
Very true. Just ask Salman Holy Khan . Had he and the half dozen others who killed people using BMWs been driving maruti 800s they would not even have got as far as the pavement to kill people. Damn the Horse power.
An idiot on a single horse can kill himself by tripping over the stirrup. Anything more is only more dangerous.
It is inappropriate to decide whether India needs more horsepower. I guess the question should be should we allow vehicles of certain horsepower or more to be driven in city roads. Its only when it gets beyond a limit things start going haywire. So i guess it may be appropriate to say no car more than a 125 horses can be driven on the city roads. ANything more must be driven only on the race tracks. Bring regulations like pollution control. Instruct the car companies to regulate the horse power and give a free hand on the torque.
Why drive Busas and Modenas in city roads. People who own them are anyways well off enough to truck the cars to a speed bowl and have a go.
My 2 paise

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 7th October 2007 at 22:43.
Old 7th October 2007, 22:55   #60
BHPian

I can't take this any more.
What are you guys doing on team-BHP?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks