Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
What if this had happened when say I am halfway through overtaking a vehicle ? Is such a scenario possible ? Sounds scary, if it can.
You'd just lose drive.
Your engine will still be running. Brakes still working.
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

How much does it cost to replace timing belt in baleno. do they also change the tensioners and attached parts along? any idea of total cost?
Old 24th April 2010, 19:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
You'd just lose drive. Your engine will still be running. Brakes still working.
Yeah, but without drive, I won't be able to complete the overtaking manouvre and if some vehicle is coming at me from opposite direction, it would be a tough situation.

These are 2 of the parts that were changed. Both are damn heavy.

The Intermediate shaft.
Baleno issue : Could a stitch in time have saved me 9K or more ?-dsc02336.jpg

The Drive-shaft
Baleno issue : Could a stitch in time have saved me 9K or more ?-dsc02337.jpg

Anyway, dont know if it is because I am driving the car after many days or because of the good job done by Electra with the 40K km service, the car feels awesome to drive. The 20km drive from work to home yesterday night was real fun and left me grinning.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th April 2010 at 19:11.
Old 24th April 2010, 19:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
..I am driving the car after many days or because of the good job done by Electra with the 40K km service, the car feels awesome to drive. The 20km drive from work to home yesterday night was real fun and left me grinning.

Now, you can understand why some people like me are happy electra customers for decades
Old 24th April 2010, 20:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

the khat khat sound while taking full lock turns and while accelerating are different, these attribute to CV joints in the drive shaft. is the drive shaft (pic attached above) removed from the car? The rubber boots look OK, then how did they find out if this driveshaft was faulty?

Spike
Old 24th April 2010, 20:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Mpower, sorry for being OT. My 2003 Ikon (72K Kms) gives a kind of "ooo" sound from the rear. I doubted issues with the rear wheel bearings and the Ford Service concurs. Apparently the bearings have worn out and each bearing costs Rs.3000. If I don't change the tyres might face un-even wear is what I was told. I intend to sell the car in 2011. So is it absolutely necessary to address this issue now?
I had the same sound while starting a 350 km drive back from Mangalore to Bangalore, in my Ikon, a couple of years ago. After reaching Bangalore (in hindsight, a risky decision to drive in that condition!), I took the car to my FNG.

The FNG replaced both the rear wheel bearings together for Rs. 1300/-. Having an absolutely good ride ever since. Please change the bearings
Old 24th April 2010, 21:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Now, you can understand why some people like me are happy electra customers for decades
Sure do, man. If not for what I heard about them from you/nitrous, why did you think I chose them instead of CARS India (MASS) next door ?

The only place I found them lacking was in communicating details clearly to the customer - too much confusion there. If they address that, it would make the experience perfect. Anyway, I am planning to do the routine services with them from now on - since my office is nearby, it makes it easy for me to drop the car and pick it up after service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR
is the drive shaft (pic attached above) removed from the car? The rubber boots look OK, then how did they find out if this driveshaft was faulty?
Yes, this was the drive-shaft that was replaced. You know, the first thing I did on getting the changed parts was to look at the boot and not an issue there - no tears or cuts on the rubber boot on either side. The splines do show indications of damage. Could that be the reason for the failure ?
Old 25th April 2010, 09:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The rubber boots look OK, then how did they find out if this driveshaft was faulty?
Hey Spikey, IF a FWD vehicle does not move and the clutch and GB are OK the next suspect is usually the DS.

Also, The rubber boot hardens over time and could develop ovality and the circlips may not really be of much use then. Dirt and dust accumulation in the areas that are critical to the drive line causes driveshaft failure!

Quote:
The only place I found them lacking was in communicating details clearly to the customer - too much confusion there. ....
Yeah, I'll request them to talk to you in your language

Quote:
The splines do show indications of damage. Could that be the reason for the failure ?
How do you think the drive shaft gets its drive?
Old 25th April 2010, 15:11   #39
BHPian

did u have a look at the damaged bearing?
how bad was the bearing condition?
Old 27th April 2010, 12:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

@conjon, I did not get the replaced bearing from them. So no idea about its condition.

@headers, no issues with language (mine or theirs). :-)
I meant "interaction with customer" - from the time he enters their premises, to keeping him informed of what is being done on his car, the parts to be changed, the cost involved etc.

Till Mr.Kamlesh intervened, atleast 3 people at Electra 'firmly' confirmed that a Baleno D.Shaft costs 15K, but which finally as per their Bill comes to less than 6K. Just an example of bad communication. That's what I referred to. Anyway...
Old 27th April 2010, 12:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

sb- were both drive shafts replaced ? 6k for 1 or 2?
Old 27th April 2010, 12:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Only the RHS one (6K).
Old 27th April 2010, 13:01   #43
Team-BHP Support

Ideally replace both the sides, keep the old one as a spare if you want to.
Old 5th June 2010, 07:40   #44
BHPian

The thud sound you had heard couple of days before the incident should have been the play between the intermediate shaft and drive-shaft splines.

Have you ever taken a under body hit?

Driveshaft conking of in this fashion is very dangerous as mentioned earlier.
Just imagine Loosing Drive, while overtaking on a High Way.

This cannot be compared to the failure on your earlier SS80. That was a CV joint noise caused probably due to a rubber boot failure. Even in the worst case, the CV joint shouldn't just break off. You can safely drive even if you hear noise while turning. Just replace the damaged boot with new boot/grease. cost about 400Rs. (m800)

Last edited by sureshkishore : 5th June 2010 at 07:48.
Old 5th June 2010, 07:42   #45
BHPian

dear Supremebaleno: was the marked splines damaged.
Baleno issue : Could a stitch in time have saved me 9K or more ?-baleno-shaft-rh-side.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks