Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:38   #16
BHPian

I am keen to know the out come and also would like some pictorial representation -In a nutshell I glued to this thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
didn't get a thing about the pins! Please upload some pics giving step by step connections to be made.

i thought it was as easy as - connecting a Laptop to a mobile phone!
Its not that easy not hard either if have the connector.
You need to connect the positive from any battery source in the cabin like from the stereo. any metal can be used as negative connection like the key module. and one more cable has to be connect to the white cable of the 2 pin ecu connector of the car, you can also use the other pin from the ecu connector for the negative connection to the elm connector.

Here is the connection diagram i made, please let me know if anything wrong.

Old 23rd April 2010, 16:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Its not that easy not hard either if have the connector.
You need to connect the positive from any battery source in the cabin like from the stereo.
do i need to pull out the HU and fiddle with the wires and find the positive? easier option? what about the Cig lighter port?

Quote:
any metal can be used as negative connection like the key module.
how? details please!

Quote:
and one more cable has to be connect to the white cable of the 2 pin ecu connector of the car, you can also use the other pin from the ecu connector for the negative connection to the elm connector.
Details please! where is the white wire? does it mean that we need to pull out the ECU connectors in the engine bay? the image from the website is not helping

Quote:
Here is the connection diagram i made, please let me know if anything wrong.
From my replies above - it seems that a detailed step by step pictorial is required to train my brain. Did you ever try it on your own?

@ MF - thanks for links

Last edited by planet_rocker : 23rd April 2010 at 16:47.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do i need to pull out the HU and fiddle with the wires and find the positive? easier option? what about the Cig lighter port?
Yeah you can use lighter port also, it will be easier

Quote:
how? details please!
I guess you need to just touch the negative wire to any metal part of the car. But let anyone confirm that.

Quote:
Details please! where is the white wire? does it mean that we need to pull out the ECU connectors in the engine bay? the image from the website is not helping
I will try to find out this and post it here. I think its the cable on the ecu scanner port inside the fuse box.

Quote:
From my replies above - it seems that a detailed step by step pictorial is required to train my brain. Did you ever try it on your own?
No i don't have the cables etc, but i am planning to order it and try it out. Let MF test it on his car it seems he has already ordered the cables.

@OP where is the white cable ? is it the ECU connector inside the cabin or under the hood ?

Last edited by Rahulkool : 23rd April 2010 at 18:18.
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Fellow BHPians,
I had been restlessly searching for a reliable ECU scanner tool ever since I was duped by one of the Bangalore garages. Meanwhile, I also tried to decypher the protocol and was able to access the ECU parameters to some extent.
Recently I came across this site ( FiatECUScan - Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ECU Reader / Scanner) with free tool specially designed for Fiat vehicles. I tried it immediately with ELM327 hardware and it works like a breeze. I am able to see all the vital statistics in almost real time, read and clear DTCs also, set up for adaptive learning!!!

I am in no way associated with this site, either commercially or otherwise, but hats off to the guy who made this software!

If you try this software please post your experiences (of course at your own risk). It would be interesting to know!

My experience, to start with,
1. After triggering the adaptive learning, I have seen great improvement in drivability
2. Some how, odo reading in ECU does not agree with cluster, cluster is about 5K more!!! I suspect fishy dealer when i bought the car.

Mods: I felt this subject needed a new thread. I have searched the forum, but found none to discuss the experiences of toying around with ECU scanner
Thanks DRC for sharing this information,
I had tried ELM323 on my 2002 1.2 and the ECU did not respond. I hoped that the ECU supports ISO9141.

Do you have any info on the 1.2?

Quote:
Here is the pin lay out

Here is the pin description
  1. Manufacturer discretion. GM: J2411 GMLAN/SWC/Single-Wire CAN.
  2. Bus positive Line of SAE-J1850 PWM and SAE-1850 VPW
  3. Ford DCL(+) Argentina, Brazil (pre OBD-II) 1997-2000, Usa, Europe, etc.
  4. Chassis ground
  5. Signal ground
  6. CAN high (ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2284)
  7. K line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4
  8. -
  9. -
  10. Bus negative Line of SAE-J1850 PWM only (not SAE-1850 VPW)
  11. Ford DCL(-) Argentina, Brazil (pre OBD-II) 1997-2000, Usa, Europe, etc.
  12. -
  13. -
  14. CAN low (ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2284)
  15. L line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4
  16. Battery voltage
So, connect Pin 4, 5 of the OBD cable on ELM to Bat -ve, connect pin 16 to Bat +ve and connect pin 7 to whilte wire on the 2 pin socket (ECU port) on the car.

The other pin on the car's ECU port is ground.
By any chance did you try with K-Line?

Your post really raised my hope of building an interface for Palio.
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:55   #21
BHPian

3-Pin Fiat ECU connector

BTW, the 3-Pin Fiat connector can be ordered from Tyco electronics.
the part numbers are:
282105-1 AMP SUPERSEAL 1.5 SERIES 3P
183036-1 MINI MIC TAB CONTACT L.P.
880811-2 COVER CAP, 3 WAY
Old 24th April 2010, 19:17   #22
DRC
BHPian

Honestly, I could not have done it better than Rahulkool to put it graphically. Wonderful job!

Regardign the connections, I can only comment on my car. It is very close to the battery, in the engine bay. I also know, in the older generation Fiats, the connector was in engine bay, but I guess in new cars, it is in the fuse box and no need to trace white wire. It can directly take 16 pin cable that comes along with the ELM hardware. New owners please confirm.

Being close to the battery I use Battery terminals...

Sorry guys, I am using a muuch more complex set up. Picture may confuse all. I am not using the 16 pin cable, but have built my own. But you can follow Rahul's set up, it works fine
Old 26th April 2010, 10:26   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
BTW, the 3-Pin Fiat connector can be ordered from Tyco electronics.
the part numbers are:
282105-1 AMP SUPERSEAL 1.5 SERIES 3P
183036-1 MINI MIC TAB CONTACT L.P.
880811-2 COVER CAP, 3 WAY
You are a life saver. I figured out the first and the last part number and its use. What is the MINI MIC TAB CONTACT for?

183036-1 Product Details - Tyco Electronics
Old 26th April 2010, 12:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me where is the 16pin connector on a Palio, i looked into the fuse box but couldn't find.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:19   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can anyone tell me where is the 16pin connector on a Palio, i looked into the fuse box but couldn't find.
There is no 16-pin connector in the Palio. You have to use the small three pin connector on the top of your ECU in the engine bay. Wire it up as per DRC's recommendation and you are set.
Old 26th April 2010, 16:54   #26
DRC
BHPian

Rahulkool,
If you have a old version of Palio, you will have a 3 pin connector in the engine bay. Please see the picture
Please locate the white wire in that connector and connect the pin 7 of the OBD II connector on ELM as mentioned in one of the earlier post.
Attached Thumbnails
Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-engine-bay.jpg  

Old 26th April 2010, 21:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
You are a life saver. I figured out the first and the last part number and its use. What is the MINI MIC TAB CONTACT for?

183036-1 Product Details - Tyco Electronics
The first part is the connector housing, which does not have the metal contacts. The second one is the connector pins which can be crimped to the wire end and inserted to the housing and gets locked by itself. Better to solder the wire than crimping if no tool is available. i learnt a hard lesson and in the process lost a connector when the wire snapped with the metal contact locked inside.
Old 26th April 2010, 21:16   #28
BHPian

Here is the location of ECU connector in 1.2 engine bay.

Fern Green Palio: Diagnostic Port
Attached Thumbnails
Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-palio1.2diagnosticport.jpg  

Old 29th April 2010, 10:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Some how, odo reading in ECU does not agree with cluster, cluster is about 5K more!!! I suspect fishy dealer when i bought the car.
This thread might clarify your doubt.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:26   #30
DRC
BHPian

Thanks, My bad I suspected the dealer. May be because at that time, around 5K kms, I had issues with ODO malfunction. They said they replaced some thing, but never told me what they replaced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks