Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 20:50   #46
BHPian

Built cable finally!

Finally, i built the cable to connect my laptop to the ECU. The software works fine, though the exact ISO code is not in its database. Also, my Pre NV Palio 1.2 ELX has Marelli IAW 49F ECU. However the Software chooses IAW 4AF as the one for Palio 1.2. So i had to choose another model to match 49F ECU.

No errors were logged. Read most of the parameters. Tried out actuators (activated the fan relay). Did not clear the ECU 'learnings' though.

Thanks to DRC for sharing the software link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Fellow BHPians,
I had been restlessly searching for a reliable ECU scanner tool ever since I was duped by one of the Bangalore garages. Meanwhile, I also tried to decypher the protocol and was able to access the ECU parameters to some extent.
Recently I came across this site ( FiatECUScan - Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ECU Reader / Scanner) with free tool specially designed for Fiat vehicles. I tried it immediately with ELM327 hardware and it works like a breeze. I am able to see all the vital statistics in almost real time, read and clear DTCs also, set up for adaptive learning!!!

I am in no way associated with this site, either commercially or otherwise, but hats off to the guy who made this software!

If you try this software please post your experiences (of course at your own risk). It would be interesting to know!

My experience, to start with,
1. After triggering the adaptive learning, I have seen great improvement in drivability
2. Some how, odo reading in ECU does not agree with cluster, cluster is about 5K more!!! I suspect fishy dealer when i bought the car.

Mods: I felt this subject needed a new thread. I have searched the forum, but found none to discuss the experiences of toying around with ECU scanner
DRC,

Even my cluster shows more mileage. I think its the infamous pre NV calibration issue! I found it is around 3% error, ECU clocking less. If the cluster was lower, i would have suspected the dealer. But if the difference is huge, or the ECU is showing less, may be an ECU swap should be suspected. In my case the ECU programming date is 11/2001 and the car was bought in 04/2002., which i think is acceptable.

When you say you triggered adaptive learning, did you clear the accumulated learnings from the ECU? (The last tab on the software?)
Old 5th October 2010, 20:59   #47
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Could be slightly off-topic but does someone knows the part number for a 1.6 16V FIAT ECU?

DRC and Bejoy - Since you guys have DIYed with the ECU, appreciate your inputs.

TIA!
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:04   #48
DRC
BHPian

Sorry, Almost had forgotten this thread.

@JVH, I do not know the exact part number, My Petra 16V 100 uses 4AF series of ECU. It should be just fine if you choose the same.

@BEJOY, Yes, I tried the last tab. It ised to work in version 1.6. But subsequent versions have got this feature removed in free version. I do not have a registered version though.

@ everyone requesting the pictorials, There are pics and schemes good enough to help connect the ECU for both 1.6 and 1.2 engines. Sorry, I will not be able to post pictorials as (as I earlier mentioned) I am not using any standard cable at any standard port. I have a screwed up set up working only in my car. It will just add more confusion and any error may result in ECU goof ups. Just do not want to spoil the fun of you guy's driving.
Old 5th February 2011, 14:24   #49
BHPian

Re: Reliable Fiat ECU scanner

Hi Guys,
I managed to get 2 bluetooth ELM 327 scanners from this site called aliexpress. Together with 2 converter cables for 3 pin Fiat diagnostics. All in Rs 5k including shipping with DHL got it in 2 weeks.
Sadly I have not been able to connect it to either of my palios. my laptop finds the elm327 through blutooth but fails to connect to the ECU itself. I checked the adapter cable for continuity and found the middle pin not used. The diagnostics connector on the palio uses the middle pin. Any suggestions. I Have attached pics of the adapter cable and the elm 327. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-obd-adapter-cable-pin-out.jpg  

Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-030220111257.jpg  

Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-fiat-obd-adapter-cable.jpg  

Old 5th February 2011, 20:22   #50
BHPian

@4x4Roadie
The middle pin is the Signal ground. the adapter cable takes from Battery -Ve, which should be OK.

The connections 1 and 3 in the 3 pin connector seems to be interchanged.

Here is the connections available at Palio Connector:
1: NC
2: Signal ground
3: K-Line (OBD signal)

The OBD connector signals is as follows:
16: Battery +ve (From red crocodile connector)
7: K-Line (OBD data)
5: Signal ground

Since the connectors are sealed, it may not be possible to change the wiring. You can try inserting other way - i.e., 1 position to 3. But it requires flattening the tab - as shown in the picture (green mark)

Are both the adapter cables have the same wiring?

Which model is your Palio? Also please post the ECU ID. (IAW xxxx)

Also attached is my connector, which has only two wires connected. Ground and signal.

Regards,
Bejoy
Attached Thumbnails
Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-obd-adapter-cable-pin-out.jpg  

Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-05022011284.jpg  

Last edited by bejoy : 5th February 2011 at 20:37.
Old 6th February 2011, 13:07   #51
BHPian

Thanks Bejoy! I just recieved a new adapter cable and USB ELM 327 from another site called obd-exp.com. The pair cost $51 and free shipping bout free shipping meant it got here after a whole long month. But This one works like a dream. I checked the pin out and its exactly as u said:Both the previous cables are reversed. Ill try and cut the tab and try again. Anyways I connected the new adapter cable and usb elm to my laptop. I have attached some screen shots of my intitial findings. Will play around and see what else I can tweak. The bluetooth elm works with this new adapter cable too. but I cant get it up on Centrafuse. Need to play around with the ports and baudrate.
BTW the ecu id is: IAW 4AF on both my palios (1.2 and stile1.1)
Attached Thumbnails
Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-scan-master-main.jpg  

Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-scan-master1.jpg  

Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-scan-master3.jpg  

Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-scanmaster2.jpg  

Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-scanmater4.jpg  

Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-cf-obd-2.jpg  

Reliable Fiat ECU scanner-cf-obd-1.jpg  

Old 7th February 2011, 15:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

4x4roadie - will you explain what information came up in the 4th pic? the red and green lights - what do they signify?

take care.
Old 7th February 2011, 16:51   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
4x4roadie - will you explain what information came up in the 4th pic? the red and green lights - what do they signify?

take care.
Sorry Buddy, I really am not sure. I have not been able to study it much cos I have not had the time to play with it much. Loked thru the manual but it has no mention of the dashboard tabs I had used.
I am assuming tthe green and red LED lights indicate status of various system sensors. Blank probably indicates not present, red must be sensor on standby and green probably means triggered or active.
But Im sure we will have some the experienced guys answer your question soon enough.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:44   #54
JVH
Senior - BHPian

FIAT Engine Analyzer

Mods - Please merge if there is a similar thread (couldn't find through search on Technical Stuff)

Folks,

How can one procure a FIAT Engine analyzer? This is primarily required for all the 178 platform vehicles - Palio/Sienna/Petra/Adventure

This is required for a mechanic of mine who used to be an ex-authorized FIAT mechanic. After the TATA joint venture, he had to part ways and is currently running on his own. For all engine related diagnostics, he seeks help from T.A.S.S where he has to go to them specifically for this purpose and is not turning out very well for obvious reasons.

Is there an opportunity to pick up a used one from say a closed dealership?

Many TIA!
Old 7th March 2011, 20:37   #55

Has anyone tried FiatECUScan on a Palio Stile Multijet? Which ECU is used in the multijet?
Old 9th March 2011, 16:56   #56
BHPian

I recently acquired GTX. There are two types of chip vag com and ELM based. Which is the better one with respect to refresh rate, features etc.
Old 12th March 2011, 21:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish75 View Post
Has anyone tried FiatECUScan on a Palio Stile Multijet? Which ECU is used in the multijet?
ELM based scan tool should work. What model is your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
I recently acquired GTX. There are two types of chip vag com and ELM based. Which is the better one with respect to refresh rate, features etc.
Both should work equally well, depending on the software. VAG com is a raw interface and the PC software takes care of all the communication and decoding the information. ELM is an interpreter chip that communicates and decodes the info from the ECU and the PC software gets the decoded info. However ELM has a bye-pass mode and in this mode, it behaves just like a VAG com cable, leaving everything for the PC software to decode.

So, it all depends on the software. ELM is costly and the benefit is that you can use it for a variety of ECU's.

Regards,
Bejoy
Old 12th March 2011, 21:14   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Is there an opportunity to pick up a used one from say a closed dealership?

Many TIA!
This should be the cheapest option. Even it is broken, it can be fixed and AFAIK it is just a PC with Windows OS and FIAT EXAMINER software running.

you can also check on Ebay. costs would be high.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:28   #59
BHPian

4X4: just noticed in pic 6 STFT and LTFT are too high in negative. Have you used any fuel injector cleaner?. Ideally long term fuel trim should be as close to 0 and STFT will be varied based on the requirement. Please check your car again if the values are still higher do a ecu reset and check again. Mileage will be better if the injector values at the optimum
Old 12th August 2011, 12:40   #60
BHPian

Hi All

Connected the three pin cable to the bluetooth ELM tool to my fiat siena weekend and using scan-master tried to read the ECU. It connects to the ECU (says ECU connected......), but does not read any parameters. For eg. coolant temp shows -40, engine rpm shows 0. Is it because it is a demo version or does it not support my car?

Hari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks