Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 01:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is how I calculate mileage after the car comes back from service:

Select a Sunday morning. Fill petrol at my favourite pump. After auto cut off, continue to fill manually up to an inch below the lid of the fuel tank. Wait for a few seconds to see if the tank burps. If it does, fill a little more. Note down the quantity, set the trip meter to zero and take the car on a leisurely highway drive for ~ 50 KM round, non-stop trip. Return to the same bunk, same nozzle and fill petrol again as described above. Calculate the FE for the distance covered / fuel consumed.

This gives the "best" mileage possible under the most favourable conditions. Safely knock off 6 - 7 KM from this figure to arrive at the city mileage. Then forget the whole thing for the next 6 months!
This actually works better - gives you an almost precise FE figure

Last edited by Ranjimso : 2nd June 2010 at 01:53.
Old 2nd June 2010, 03:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I usually top the tank up and set the tripmeter to zero. When the tank is nearing empty, I fill it up again. So, If I divide the no of kms run by the no of liters filled (the second time), I should be able to get the average consumption.

Or you could get a car like a punto or a Linea which has a Multi Info display screen which shows average fuel consumption on a real time basis
And Manza too has it.
Surprisngly its quiet accurate as well.

Checked twice and both times its showing the exact figure as deducted by the tank full method itself
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:34   #18
BHPian

I own an i10 kappa magna and it does have a tripmeter.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusha_snh View Post
I own an i10 kappa magna and it does have a tripmeter.
I too own an i10 Kappa Magna and it does have one too

In my kappa, i know the LFWL comes up at exactly 30 Litres and its tank capacity is 35L. Divide number of kms covered/30L = Perfect FE

@Sid, i think you need to check your manual again and get used to using the trip meter. Set it to 0 when you fill your tank and then when you refuel simply divide the kms driven.

A bit here and there, the FE will be known. Moreover, i do know that TBHPian's arent sticklers for perfect FE running into fractions for e.g :
12.538 kmpl
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
i have serious doubt about this. B'coz i had taken the delivery of Punto 1.4 petrol for my sister from concord motors. But the average was showing 26 kmpl in trip A and trip B was showing avgerage of 18.9 kmpl.
The avg. FE can vary between two trip meters as it depends on when you reset it.

Suppose you reset the trip meter A and have a nice cruise through an empty highway for about 100 Kms. then you reset trip meter B also, and start climbing a hill or enter jam packed city traffic. (remember, Trip meter A is not reset at this point) After a while through bad roads or traffic, Trip meter A's mileage will definitely show a significantly higher value than B because it is the average of the highway run too.

26Kmpl on a 1.4 Petrol is unbelievable though. Even Punto MJD can't give that easily.

I find my Punto's mileage display to be very accurate. Measured using Full tank to full tank method as well. The overall FE for the past couple of thousand kilometers stands at 17.7 Kmpl.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd June 2010 at 12:36.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
There is no perfect way to guage fuel economy (unless you do it in a lab under controlled conditions).

In the real world, a tank up test would be your best bet.

Shan2nu
I agree. All the factors (stuff which Spitfire brought up) considered and/or ignored, this is the the ideal way of checking one's FE. There is no way way to accurately check for variations in tyre pressure, Conditions or roads, weight carried and for what distance, exact engine conditions, adulteration of fuel unless you go really techno-high.

The only thing to ensure is that you fill the same amount of fuel everytime and i dont mean this in terms of pumps and nozzles, which i dont deny are good things to do, but on average if you use the same fuel pump, irrespective of nozzles and fill up to the first cut off and then measure the kms v/s fuel consumed, you should get a decent indicator of the FE.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Why is this in Shifting Gears? This is a proper technical question. I suggest the mods move it.

As to checking fuel efficiency, tankful to tankful works but your driving style, traffic etc. may vary. Its best if you cover a large number of kilometers and average out the readings from the tankful to tankful method. That is, if you have the patience to do so.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:55   #23
BHPian

Perfect way to measure Fuel efficiency-i10.jpg
Can some one explain which one is a trip meter in this.
This is of a different i10 model.
Era has a little different odometer.

Last edited by sidd25 : 2nd June 2010 at 14:02.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The avg. FE can vary between two trip meters as it depends on when you reset it.

Suppose you reset the trip meter A and have a nice cruise through an empty highway for about 100 Kms. then you reset trip meter B also, and start climbing a hill or enter jam packed city traffic. (remember, Trip meter A is not reset at this point) After a while through bad roads or traffic, Trip meter A's mileage will definitely show a significantly higher value than B because it is the average of the highway run too.

26Kmpl on a 1.4 Petrol is unbelievable though. Even Punto MJD can't give that easily.

I find my Punto's mileage display to be very accurate. Measured using Full tank to full tank method as well. The overall FE for the past couple of thousand kilometers stands at 17.7 Kmpl.
@Clevermax i agree to your points, but it was before delivery, and when i asked the Sales person, the answer i got was (sir, it was driven b/w 10-20 kms inside the city, so the average is so much) and i said to myself no point discussing such things with these auto sales guys who does'nt know the basics of the automobiles and treat the customers like a laymen who will believe whatever they say.

Also will update the latest FE shortly since my sister is not using the car that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
Attachment 360284

hello Sidd25,

you can see a stick pointing out from the temp gauge. Just press once it will be your Trip A and press again it will be Trip B.
If you press it for long it will reset to zero.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd June 2010 at 14:22. Reason: back 2 back post. Please use edit post if posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
and i said to myself no point discussing such things with these auto sales guys who does'nt know the basics of the automobiles and treat the customers like a laymen who will believe whatever they say.
Yes, no point in asking such things to them. I am yet to see a sales guy who treats customers according to their type - enthusiasts should get treated in different way than businessmen looking for a car, and so on. And yes, almost all of them think that they can just bulls*t and customers would believe all they say.

Quote:
Attachment 360284
If I don't know, I'd be checking the manual to find that out. Your electronic display should show the trip distance when you trigger that mode, probably by pressing some button near the meter or on dash somewhere.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd June 2010 at 15:09.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

The perfect way to measure FE, is full tank to full tank from the same pump atleast 5 times and then take an average of the FE.

Pramod
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:27   #27
BHPian

Was seeing a Top Gear show recently and Jeremy Clarkson was testing an Audi with his usual antics. The test was to see how far will an Audi go on a full tank and challenge was to reach London from outside London.

After driving for long, the meters showed that the fuel tank is empty and needs refueling asap.

Even after that Jeremy drove for 52 miles and reached a gas station.

Are these indicator accurate or is it designed to make drivers think the tank is empty when there is actually some fuel left in the tank.?

Regards
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
After driving for long, the meters showed that the fuel tank is empty and needs refueling asap.
Even after that Jeremy drove for 52 miles and reached a gas station.

Are these indicator accurate or is it designed to make drivers think the tank is empty when there is actually some fuel left in the tank.?

Regards
depends from car to car. In my Petrol car, the amber light turns on when there's about 5 liters fuel left. Sometimes it turns on even later - once my father ran out of fuel while driving with an amber light, hoping that there's at least 2 litres.

New cars which shows the DTE (Distance to Empty) will not count down all the way to Zero. They count down till 50 or so, and then issue a warning. This means one should re-fuel immediately as there's fuel left only to drive about 50 Kms. So in Jeremy's case, its not a big surprise that he could drive 50+ miles after the warning came. It doesn't make sense to issue this warning at the very last drop of fuel right?

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd June 2010 at 15:35.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:43   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sid25,

Simply put, an odometer shows how many kms your car has run in total.

A trip-meter is the same thing, but it can be reset so that it starts from 000000 whenever you want it to. Eg. At the begining of a trip.

As for measuring Fuel Efficiency, please see these existing threads (and remember to use SEARCH in the future) :

Measuring FE - Clinical Method vs Practical Method

How do you calculate mileage?

Whats your actual Fuel Efficiency?

Thanks to condor for providing the links.

Please continue in one of the above threads as this thread is now closed.
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd June 2010 at 16:44.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks