Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 11:00   #1
BHPian

Rusting problem on brand new car

Hi friends,

Today I gave my car for first service (Swift VDi May 2010). Finished 1 month and 1033 kms. I found a weird problem under the rubber cladding on the boot door. Found traces of rust under it a few days back, and when I checked just before giving it to service noticed that it had increased rapidly with visible amounts of rust through out . I forgot to take a picture of the same. The service advisor just gave me a call now on the issue and told me that since painting job can't be covered under warranty he needs to get approval for the same from their Senior technical advisor at Maruti. He have sent pictures of the same to the senior person and needs a week time to sort out the issue. For the time being he will return my car today after cleaning the rust. I will do a thorough check up myself to find out anymore such rusting problems. Have anybody else faced such an issue on a new car. My previous car never gave me traces of rust anywhere on the body in 4 years of ownership. I seriously suspect the metal treatment and paint quality of Marutis now.

Started a new thread since I have found threads discussing rusting issues on 3+ year old vehicles only and not on any new ones. Mods please move if this has already been discussed somewhere.
Old 28th June 2010, 11:19   #2
BHPian

i think paint job is coverd under warreny against peeling etc .
Old 28th June 2010, 11:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
i think paint job is coverd under warreny against peeling etc .
Yes, I am planning to wait for the result of his mail. If he is giving a negative reply then I need to go to Maruti directly. However, can't let the thing to eat up my money.
Old 28th June 2010, 12:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, now I'm starting to hear more of this "Swift Rusting" problems. One of my friends too, owning a 2008(I guess) VDI is facing this problem. His rear left door, the bottom area near the b-pillar had started bubbling up with rust after just 6 months of ownership. The worst thing is that he hasn't been able to take care of that till now. I think he has painted his car(door) atleast 5 times.

Check out these links too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-my-swift.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ting-away.html

You might wanna contact the A.S.S seriously about this and ensure this NEVER happens again.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:56   #5
BHPian

My Swift had started giving rust problems after 18 months.

First service done by service center.

After a year,it became quite severe with bubbles on the body and especially on the A pillar.Had shot a mail to Maruti with pictures.Maruti agreed to pay 50% of the cost and I had to bear around 20K from my pocket.

But 6 months after that,again I could see bubbles near the side indicators and I have had enough.The service advisor told that rusting is such a problem it couldnt be eradicated 100% and there is every chance that it will reoccur.Thats when decided to exchange it for a SX4.

I have had a very very bad experience with the rusting problem in my Swift and only hope the same doesnt happen in future.

Please get it touch with Maruti and tell them doesnt augur well for them as a company if you post the pictures in team bhp of a brand new car having rust problems.That might help.

Also,even after the work is done,would suggest you check regularly if there is any rust developing.
Old 28th June 2010, 14:10   #6
BHPian

Rusting that is not caused by scratches or dents is definitely covered under warranty.

The body, chassis, anything metal is covered against rusting under warranty. Please get the repainting done FOC (free of cost) from the dealer ASAP before the rusting spreads to other locations.
Old 28th June 2010, 14:41   #7
BHPian

Thanks dear friends for all your comments. My bad day continues. Here is the story till now. Around 12'O clock I got a call from the service center(I will PM if anybody wants to know which service center). The guy told me, "Sir, your car with so and so number is serviced. It is ready for delivery". Regarding the rusting issue, he told they have sent a mail to Maruti and will sort it out in maximum of a week time. He offered me at least 4 times during that call to drop the car to my office. I smelled something fishy then and there and told them that I will come at lunch time as the service center is just 1.5 km away from my office. There came the answer, "Sir, please give me 2 minutes, I doubt whether the washing is over". I asked him, "You only told now that car is ready". He dropped the call without any notice. However I decided to go there at lunch time.

When I reached there, there was always the smiling face from the service advisor and he told me sorry that the call dropped because his battery drained off. I told OK. He asked me to wait for a couple of minutes to settle down the bill. After 5 minutes I settled the bill and got the gate pass. I had a serious intuition that something is wrong that he offered a lot of times to drop the car to my office. I just made a round of walk around the car, and guess what. Found 4 major scratches around one on my rear bumper, one on FR door and two more on the front bumper. I was shocked that today morning when I gave the car for service, there was not even sign of a lost polish. I was very much angry for the first scratch and shouted on the guy like anything. He started defending that it was done by me. I had a horrible time there and at last the guy told me that, OK we will brush it. I told an immediate NO and that I want the thing sorted out by a repaint and left the car there itself. Hearing all the issues, the manager came. After another round of talk, the manager promised me to sort out the issue by tomorrow and offered me a ride back to office. I am in such a desperate mood now. Really pathetic and heartbreaking situation. In the first month of ownership, I have a badly rusted boot door and 4 big scratches, none of these as a result of my bad ownership or driving. I never had such a bad experience from T.A.S.S while owning my Xeta.

Anyway, I've decided to shoot out a mail to Maruti stating all these issues. Will keep you all updated.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:16   #8
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your car buddy. its really hear-breaking to see something like this on a brand new car. The MASS is becoming not-so-good even here in Bangalore.

Two questions popped up in my mind, since you are from Kochi (where i too hail from).

1. do you have a covered parking?
2. how close to the sea do you stay?

Since Kochi is coastal region, the vehicles there is more prone to rust due to the presence of salt in air. (correct me if i am wrong). and the incessant rains might've contributed to the problem if you dont have a covered parking. I agree these are factors which may not apply for a month old car, but just thought of clarifying.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
Sorry to hear about your car buddy. its really hear-breaking to see something like this on a brand new car. The MASS is becoming not-so-good even here in Bangalore.

Two questions popped up in my mind, since you are from Kochi (where i too hail from).

1. do you have a covered parking?
2. how close to the sea do you stay?

Since Kochi is coastal region, the vehicles there is more prone to rust due to the presence of salt in air. (correct me if i am wrong). and the incessant rains might've contributed to the problem if you dont have a covered parking. I agree these are factors which may not apply for a month old car, but just thought of clarifying.
What you said is correct. Cars that are kept in open parking and that too in coastal areas are more susceptible to rust issues. But that should not happen in such a less time. Also my car is normally in a covered parking of my apartment and same is the case in office also. Adding to that, I had used my Xeta in exactly same environmental conditions for 4 years without even a sign of rust on the body. Only signs of rust was found on the silencer tips. Kudos to the metal treatment and paint job of TATAs. Again, as per the latest details from MASS, the same will be treated under warranty. But what I am suspecting is the overall quality of the metal used and the QC. I am forced to suspect that Maruti also started the ugly job of forgetting about quality and mis utilizing the good will they created in the past few decades.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Actually, now I'm starting to hear more of this "Swift Rusting" problems. One of my friends too, owning a 2008(I guess) VDI is facing this problem. His rear left door, the bottom area near the b-pillar had started bubbling up with rust after just 6 months of ownership. The worst thing is that he hasn't been able to take care of that till now. I think he has painted his car(door) atleast 5 times.

Check out these links too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-my-swift.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ting-away.html

You might wanna contact the A.S.S seriously about this and ensure this NEVER happens again.
Yes, I have gone through the threads. Its so scary for any car owner. I have contacted the A.S.S and the latest response is that they will replace the boot door under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
My Swift had started giving rust problems after 18 months.

First service done by service center.

After a year,it became quite severe with bubbles on the body and especially on the A pillar.Had shot a mail to Maruti with pictures.Maruti agreed to pay 50% of the cost and I had to bear around 20K from my pocket.

But 6 months after that,again I could see bubbles near the side indicators and I have had enough.The service advisor told that rusting is such a problem it couldnt be eradicated 100% and there is every chance that it will reoccur.Thats when decided to exchange it for a SX4.

I have had a very very bad experience with the rusting problem in my Swift and only hope the same doesnt happen in future.

Please get it touch with Maruti and tell them doesnt augur well for them as a company if you post the pictures in team bhp of a brand new car having rust problems.That might help.

Also,even after the work is done,would suggest you check regularly if there is any rust developing.
What your advisor said is correct. Rusting will not simply go by a repaint if the damage was their in the metal treatment. I am hoping for the best here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Rusting that is not caused by scratches or dents is definitely covered under warranty.

The body, chassis, anything metal is covered against rusting under warranty. Please get the repainting done FOC (free of cost) from the dealer ASAP before the rusting spreads to other locations.
Yes, I have confirmed the warranty details from Maruti, and the damage will be covered under warranty. However I guess this should not be the fate of a 1 month old car.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:45   #11
BHPian

Good , Let Them Do their Job In Warrenty And make sure that job card reads "Boot Door Replaced Under Warrenty Due to rusting problem". And keep xerox copy of job card with you .
Old 29th June 2010, 15:36   #12
BHPian

Just an update on the issue. Today afternoon I got my car back from the service center after correcting the damages they had created while servicing the vehicle and also a bunch of sorries by the manager and the advisor. . Regarding the rusting issue, I am waiting for the reply from the warranty claims department. They have promised me a resolution within 1 week.
Old 30th June 2010, 07:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Just an update on the issue. Today afternoon I got my car back from the service center after correcting the damages they had created while servicing the vehicle and also a bunch of sorries by the manager and the advisor. . Regarding the rusting issue, I am waiting for the reply from the warranty claims department. They have promised me a resolution within 1 week.
Dear friends, I am attaching the pictures of the issue I've faced. I suggest all the swift owners out there or any car can take a look at these places for any issues. I have forwarded a mail with these pictures to Maruti customer service and waiting for their reply. Mods, can you please modify the thread title to pictures updated.

Rusting problem on brand new car-inside_boot_1.jpg

Rusting problem on brand new car-engine_bay.jpg

Rusting problem on brand new car-seat_clamp.jpg
Old 30th June 2010, 09:37   #14
BANNED

Blame it on the Bad QC.

If your car is under warranty , go get these things rectified and make sure you dont pay them a penny.

A new car rusting is not a good sign.
Old 30th June 2010, 11:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

The rusting is sure of manufacturing defect. How ever writing a mail will not help (most probably the mail will be to griveance cell or some one in head office) they will pass it on to concernd departments and then to to local rep of maruti in kerela , but still you should write for documentation. If you can catch hold of the service rep of maruti in kerla it would be better. Also inquire if else were are they facing the same issue (If they are probably they are working out a fix). I think maruti should pay for the repairs.

And secondly after all that is done, go for a professional rust preventing treatment done, that will save a lot of hassels in future. In fact if you negotiate well, this might also be given to you free of cost.

Also if nothing works, tell them I am going to press (auto mags) and to consumer court, that will sure work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks