Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 20:21   #1
BHPian

Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions

Hi all, I have recently purchased a used 2004 Accent CRDi run 52k from Mahindra First Choice, Majiwada Circle, Thane.

Right after taking delivery, I have given it to Asset Hyundai service center for servicing. Replacements:

1. Air filter, fuel filter, oil filter
2. Engine flush, Srvo (Hyundai recommended) engine oil
3. Engine decarb
4. Timing belt change, timing tensioner too (??? - don't know what this is, Hyundai reco-ed it to me)
5. Radiator flush, coolant change
6. Brake pads, brake oil change
7. Fuel injectors cleaning
8. Air intake cleaning
9. All oils topped-up

For all this, may I just say how very-very thankful I am to this wonderful forum. 8 months ago, I new zilllllcch (absolutely zero!) about cars. And here I am, going against what everyone's suggesting: "Abhi to gaadi li hai, thoda chalao uske baad servicing ko dena...abhi kya jaldi hai". Thank you Team-BHP!!!

Now, the suspension of the car is just no good. The service centre guys told me that the shock-absorbers are local, after-market ones and need to be replaced. Thay have quoted me approx. 30k for them. I need your suggestions: what should I do? Should I use the authorised Hyundai suspension system? If not, can I get a good one outside? Where in Mumbai? How long will it last? Performance?

As an afterthought, among the 9 points above, should something be added?

Now, last but most importantly, the day Mahindra guys were to deliver me the car, their new boy mistakenly put petrol instead of diesel in the car . They took 2 days to completely clean the fuel tank (I suppose they did something in the engine too; fuel tank cleaning couldn't have taken 2 days??!!! But they wouldn't tell me). After this episode, I somehow feel that the acceleration of the car is lower than when I first test drove it. However, since I am an absolute novice, I can't be sure if this is indeed true or is it just a feeling. Dieselheads, please help me out here! What could have gone wrong? What should I do? Will fuel-injector cleaning take care of the problem?

Have given the car for servicing today. Your early suggestions & comments will be very helpful!

Tho' I would still say, the car's a hoot to drive (to a newbie like me, it is!). Actually, I liked it more than both the Punto (my heart!) and Figo (head!) in terms of performance - I test drove them both. I would post my experiences as soon as I get comfortable with the forum's layout - it's still a bit confusing to me!

PS: I idle the car for a minute before starting and 30 secs before konking off. Sufficient, I hope?

Mods, I hope I am posting in the correct forum. Apologies if not and please move it to the correct forum.
Old 13th August 2010, 20:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post

But they wouldn't tell me)

PS: I idle the car for a minute before starting and 30 secs before konking off. Sufficient, I hope?
Your title meant the reverse i.e they put petrol instead of diesel. But it reads they put diesel instead of petrol

They obviously wouldn't tell you, would they?

Idling is sufficient. Follow it religiously. Do it before switching off too.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
They obviously wouldn't tell you, would they?
So what problems could that have caused? How could I rectify them?
Old 14th August 2010, 00:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, at hyundai authorized service check for any error codes.
Secondly, change all the fuel filters(I think there are 3 of them, or maybe 2).

Other than that there is not much you can do,
When you put petrol in a diesel engine, its like killing the lubrication process. So it depends how much they ran the car.
The first to get damaged is the fuel pump, and if car is run long enough, the entire engine can go.
Looks like they may have changed the injectors and fuel pump etc.,
Ideally, you should have refused delivery. You negotiated a price based on the condition of the car. By their folly, they deteriorated the condition, so they are bound to pay you compensation, or atleast offer full replacement of parts even partially damaged.
Old 14th August 2010, 00:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good branded After market Shock abs are as good as the OE's , If you know some trustworthy garage guy go and get it done there at almost half or less.I got mine replaced with Aftermarket Monroe shocks.Do get your engine checked from a trustworthy garage as Accent Crdi are prone to engine overhauls after 50K.
Old 14th August 2010, 03:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Thay have quoted me approx. 30k for them. I need your suggestions: what should I do?
Now, that sure is a bomb!. I had changed the front shocks for my IKON and it cost only about 1.7k each and 200Rs labour from FORD A.S.S. Please get a quote with another A.S.S.

And yes, good branded shocks do the job as good as OE ones.

Quote:
their new boy mistakenly put petrol instead of diesel in the car .
Well, the damage due to this depends on how long the engine has run. One of my friends ISUZU(diesel) had its tank filled up with petrol (full tank). Luckily they found out about this mishap soon enough, and cleaned the entire fuel tank and related parts, changed the fuel filter. Now the car runs as good as before.

So I guess there is no need of worry if they hadn't run the car for long.
Old 14th August 2010, 08:05   #7
BHPian

Dear manish ,
Noting to panic on replacing petrol with Diesel , I did it on my CRDI (Now sold ) way back in 2006 , on the way back to bangalore from tirupati , i stopped for fuel at chittor , they filled 500Rs petrol instead of Diesel , not knowing that i drove 180 kms , Racing with scorpios and skodas , only next day when i saw low fuel light on i realised that some thing is amiss , the engine used to start at one crank ,after this petrol diesel mixture it used to take two or three cranks , i took it to Advaith service center and they said ,they used to get at least one such case in bangalore every fortnight , did a engine de carb and gave my car back just for my satisfaction . enjoy the drive but see that you push it off before it touches 1 lak mark , that 3 pot is not economical after that

Last edited by Rovergen : 14th August 2010 at 08:06. Reason: spell
Old 14th August 2010, 11:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Firstly, at hyundai authorized service check for any error codes. I am really not sure how does one do that. so, even if I have a look at the scanner, might not understand much other than what the service guy tells me. Which he probably will in any case (he stands to earn money from me). But, I'll do it nevertheless.

Secondly, change all the fuel filters(I think there are 3 of them, or maybe 2). There is a fuel filter and an oil filter (what Hyundai guys told me). I will ask again, though.

Other than that there is not much you can do,
When you put petrol in a diesel engine, its like killing the lubrication process. So it depends how much they ran the car. I don't think the car was run more than 1-2 kms. The petrol bunker is close to the delivery place.

The first to get damaged is the fuel pump, and if car is run long enough, the entire engine can go. I asked the Hyundai guys about the fuel pump, they said it was perfectly fine.

Looks like they may have changed the injectors and fuel pump etc., No, they haven't or else I'd have been intimidated at Hyundai that they're after-market.

Ideally, you should have refused delivery. You negotiated a price based on the condition of the car. By their folly, they deteriorated the condition, so they are bound to pay you compensation, or atleast offer full replacement of parts even partially damaged. I guess
I'll get the car back on Monday; so hopefully by then, I'd know if the reduced performance is taken care of by injector cleaning, flush & decarb. In any case, plan to go there this afternoon to go over the engine on the scanner.

Quote:
Good branded After market Shock abs are as good as the OE's , If you know some trustworthy garage guy go and get it done there at almost half or less.I got mine replaced with Aftermarket Monroe shocks.Do get your engine checked from a trustworthy garage as Accent Crdi are prone to engine overhauls after 50K.
I know of only Mr. Sunil Shanbaug at Dadar(W) which is recommended by many in Mumbai including the GTO. Plan to go there the next weekend. Will enquire about the Monroe shocks. Any other brand that you considered and discarded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Dear manish ,
Noting to panic on replacing petrol with Diesel , I did it on my CRDI (Now sold ) way back in 2006 , on the way back to bangalore from tirupati , i stopped for fuel at chittor , they filled 500Rs petrol instead of Diesel , not knowing that i drove 180 kms , Racing with scorpios and skodas , only next day when i saw low fuel light on i realised that some thing is amiss , the engine used to start at one crank ,after this petrol diesel mixture it used to take two or three cranks , i took it to Advaith service center and they said ,they used to get at least one such case in bangalore every fortnight , did a engine de carb and gave my car back just for my satisfaction . enjoy the drive but see that you push it off before it touches 1 lak mark , that 3 pot is not economical after that
Many thanks Rovergen for your words. Can you hear me heaving a sigh of relief? The distance driven on petrol was only 1-2 kms. But why is it uneconomical post 1L kms? Higher servicing costs? Or does the fuel efficiency drop?
Old 14th August 2010, 23:54   #9
BHPian

Fuel efficiency was not on first things when i got my accent , but that was the only available/affordable diesel with CRDI (then it was newest in sub 8lks cars ). I have seen atleast 4 cars having to undergo an investment of min 50grand after crossing 1 lakh km by the way i have also seen one black example in bangalore running at 1.8 lakh km with out opening the engine . so even i do not have one good reason why i sold of mine , more of mob mentality /panic selling after the car touched 70K on the ODO
Old 20th August 2010, 13:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Fuel efficiency was not on first things when i got my accent , but that was the only available/affordable diesel with CRDI (then it was newest in sub 8lks cars ). I have seen atleast 4 cars having to undergo an investment of min 50grand after crossing 1 lakh km by the way i have also seen one black example in bangalore running at 1.8 lakh km with out opening the engine . so even i do not have one good reason why i sold of mine , more of mob mentality /panic selling after the car touched 70K on the ODO
Aah..apologies for being so late in replying! You know the heady feeling of a new romance? Just love to revv her up and explore her paces.

BTW what car do you own now? Was just wondering, what did you upgrade with from an 82 BHP diesel?

As regards my car, I have noticed a few things:

1. The power surge doesn't feel as heady as I had expected, esp during the test drive! Any ideas what could be playing spoilsport?

2. With the AC on, there is a noticeable power drop. Is it true for other Accent CRDis too? Current/previous owners, pls let me know your views!

3. I have read that the 1.5 CRDi engine doesn't have a turbo lag; however, I do see a lag until around 1750-2000 rpm and as I cross the rev range, there is a sudden bout of acceleration & power! The car seems different and below 1750 rpm and an altogether diff vehicle post 2000???

4. When I turn the ignition key, the heating coil turns orange accompanied by a (zzzzzzz/whhhssssssshhhh) sound. When the heating coil goes off, so does the sound. However, when I crank up the engine, the sound returns and is there as long as the engine is on. Is that a problem???

Pray do tell me if there is a way to increase power? Accent CRDi shouldn't be sluggish, right?

I wish I could drive another Accent CRDi to compare it against mine. Any kind-hearted soul in Mumbai?
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:03   #11
BHPian

And which Hyundai service station in Mumbai would be best for my CRDi? Which local mechanic? Someone who knows his machine inside-out and can understand & solve problems.
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
Aah..apologies for being so late in replying! You know the heady feeling of a new romance? Just love to revv her up and explore her paces.

BTW what car do you own now? Was just wondering, what did you upgrade with from an 82 BHP diesel?

As regards my car, I have noticed a few things:

1. The power surge doesn't feel as heady as I had expected, esp during the test drive! Any ideas what could be playing spoilsport?

There could be multiple reasons for this. Dirty air filter, turbo boost etc. Your RPM should be around 2k when you are driving at 100 in your 5th Gear.

2. With the AC on, there is a noticeable power drop. Is it true for other Accent CRDis too? Current/previous owners, pls let me know your views!

NO. You won't see any difference in power.

3. I have read that the 1.5 CRDi engine doesn't have a turbo lag; however, I do see a lag until around 1750-2000 rpm and as I cross the rev range, there is a sudden bout of acceleration & power! The car seems different and below 1750 rpm and an altogether diff vehicle post 2000???

Again a big NO. You should see absolutely no turbo lag. Post 1.5k rpm the engine is in its sweep spot

4. When I turn the ignition key, the heating coil turns orange accompanied by a (zzzzzzz/whhhssssssshhhh) sound. When the heating coil goes off, so does the sound. However, when I crank up the engine, the sound returns and is there as long as the engine is on. Is that a problem???

Yes the sound is expected
Pray do tell me if there is a way to increase power? Accent CRDi shouldn't be sluggish, right?

I wish I could drive another Accent CRDi to compare it against mine. Any kind-hearted soul in Mumbai?
Manish

I suspect the following for smoking

1. Check the air filter - Replace if necessary
2. Check the EGR valve and ensure that the solenoid switch controlling the same works well - Replace solenoid valve if necessary
3. Check the turbo - Since you have picked it up as a second hand we don't know how careful was the first owner with turning ON / OFF the engine ?

BTW : Can you tell me the km's the car has clocked ?

Regards

Sateesh
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Manish

2. Check the EGR valve and ensure that the solenoid switch controlling the same works well - Replace solenoid valve if necessary
...<snip>...

Regards

Sateesh
Thank you Sateesh BTW, would you know, what questions to ask the ASC when I go for an engine scan??
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:27   #14
BHPian

There could be multiple reasons for this. Dirty air filter, turbo boost etc. Your RPM should be around 2k when you are driving at 100 in your 5th Gear.

Yes, that's about the rpm range the engine is in when I hit 100 in the 5th gear. it's the "..getting to 100.." part, esp. with the AC on which is a problem.

NO. You won't see any difference in power.

So, something is wrong! What could it be? I have already got all filters changed, timing belt, tensioner changed, injector cleaning done, engine decarb, flush done. What exactly is a turbo? I guess that's the first scapegoat that comes to mind, right?

Again a big NO. You should see absolutely no turbo lag. Post 1.5k rpm the engine is in its sweep spot

Turbo checking needed, I guess! Anything else that could be the culprit because the turbo lag is definitely there? I have actually moulded my driving style such that after upshifting, the rev rpm remains above 2k. If it gets below 1.7k, I take a couple of winks while the car patiently & sleepily gets to about 2k which is when the fun starts.

Yes the sound is expected

But, once the heating coil orange-light goes off so does the sound. After cranking up the engine, the sound returns and is particularly audible. And, I have a feeling it wasn't there when I took delivery (though, I would discount for the fact that like women, you get to know the drawbacks only after you get to know her better).
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Manish... Firstly congratulations.

My Accent CRDi had next to no turbo lag. It had much lesser lag than my current car the i20 CRDi.

The accent never ever felt the A/C load either..

It never felt underpowered / sluggish. Even after 4 yrs / 60000 kms, it was faster than a brand new punto in a straight line. How do I know this? I tested it.

Clean / Replace the air filter.

Also, check out this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...diy-style.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks