Team-BHP - Tata Manza - List Of Problems
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Tata Manza - List Of Problems (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/87780-tata-manza-list-problems-12.html)

An update from my end.

As has been rightly pointed out by many members here and some who called me up to inform me - also checked with some sources in Concorde, Tata Motors & Tata AIG insurance advisors -

1. The MOUNT cannot BREAK. Tata Motors officials have confirmed - they have NEVER heard of such a thing. It has be a very rare incident. Mount cannot break.

2. Insurance and every other possible person - has confirmed that there was no physical damage or driver error or any other external factor for it to happen.

3. The only theory that seems to hold water - is that when Concorde worked upon the 'engine head to remove the stuck glow plug' - the mount has to be removed (confirmed with some technicians at Concorde as well as FNG). When refitting it - 2 of the 3 bolts were either missing or not fitted properly. Which is why within 6 to 7 weeks (1800 kms) of that day - the one bolt which was bearing all the weight snapped off and led to this disaster.
No remainder pieces of the other 2 bolts have been found. ANYWHERE. EVER. Not lower half. Nor top head. Nothing. Nothing stuck in the threads. Absolutely no trace.

& the main part in question - has mysteriously disappeared from Concorde.

That one incident has completely ruined my car.
Now some or the other noise, some or the other problem keeps coming up !

Going back to Concorde is becoming a pain !

Sometimes they chip the dashboard, sometimes the damage the bumper. Sometimes they forget caps on the screws and then call me too fussy when I demand that those 2 Rs. plastic caps are fitted back.

The engine in question - does seem to be doing fine. JUST the engine. As in - free revving. No vibrations. No heating.
But a lot of other niggles have cropped up. Brake related. Clutch related. Steering noise related.
Everytime I go to Concorde, car comes back with some or the other more damage or problem.

It's not the SA - Javed. He does a fantastic job. Only reason why I still go there. It's everyone else. & if you get in touch with the GM - Mr. Raju Patil - all your problems disappear and every work gets done. But then why does a customer need to keep calling up the GM everytime their car goes for service !
That's just absurd.

The other issue - the rusting bit.
From what I gather - Tata Motors is well aware of this. Which is why the NEW frames that get fitted in new cars as well as when replaced in old cars - are not only treated with anti-rust - but also given 1 coat of black paint !

Point is - if this is known - why wasn't it checked for more diligently. Especially when my car just went for service 2 months ago and they would have taken it up on the ramp to change engine oil. They would also have been under it for the top-up of the anti-rust coating !
Do they work with their eyes closed or just choose to wait for a disaster to happen - so customer can blame Tata Motors for making bad cars - rather then they do their job and MAINTAIN & SERVICE the awesome car made by Tata Motors.

The matter is still 'under investigation'. Nothing concrete can be said - because there is no HARD evidence to the issue.
Meanwhile I have already cleared the bill of 41k when I took delivery of the car few weeks ago.
Since then - living with some or the other problem in my dear Manza.
It is just not the same.

Hoping this update helps some other Tata Motors & Manza customers.

There seriously was no other car like Manza in that price range back then.
& there still is no other car with that beautiful sofa in the back.
It the real BIIIG car and is a proper workhorse.

If only Tata Motors would take more efforts to improve it's service. :(

I had rust eat away my front subframe also
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3237009
I had it replaced. I had also religiously applied underbody coating, and in the end, they said only the coating itself was covered by warranty.

Well looks like problems and Tata vehicles go hand in hand. Sometimes their cars are good but service is bad and sometimes their service is good but car is bad. Dr. Suraj I am glad you are safe as the problems you have highlighted with regards to timing belt snapping, clutch getting stuck, engine mount giving away can result in a catastrophic disaster. Also from your experiences with the dealer in question it looks like Tata Motors hasn't learnt their lesson in after sales service. No wonder none of their cars seems to be selling like they should be. Two of my office colleagues have a Manza Diesel and they are always complaining about it. Sometimes it is the weird sounds from inside the cabin, sometimes it is the power steering issues, sometimes it is noise from the A/C, sometimes the whining sound from the fan belt and other niggling issues. This is in spite of getting it serviced on time through Tata motors authorized after sales service through their AMC.

I would suggest keep an sharp eye on these problems and be proactive with regards to known issues. You don't want to be stuck on lonely roads or express highways with a broken car. Call it is a coincidence but I have seen numerous Tata cars on Bombay Pune expressway broken down every time I make a trip to and fro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsjey (Post 3784803)

The problem: the temperature guage reading is more than usual. Also, there is variation in readings with ac & without ac. The reading without ac is higher.

Now should I be worried?

I had a similar issue with my Manza Petrol about 8 - 10 months back, I think. In my case the temperature would just shoot to 75 % and car would stop.

Turned out that the coolant pipe was konked off and the guys at Tata ASS had forgotten to top up the coolant - had to replace a part and refill the coolant.

Worth a shot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj (Post 3795847)
Any and every advice will be appreciated.

Hi, please paint the replaced part, and the welds immediately. Or else, this problem will reappear.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanmay K (Post 3816412)
I'm suspecting that the exhaust pipe will get really hot and the paper might catch fire? Should I use a different material to act as cushion?

I'm wary of forcefully bending the exhaust pipe myself as that might break something. What are my options?

The pipe will 100% catch fire. Please remove it ASAP. The only option for you is to straighten out the bent pipe. If you want to stop the rattle temporally, use rubber - NOT PAPER.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 3819644)
The pipe will 100% catch fire. Please remove it ASAP. The only option for you is to straighten out the bent pipe. If you want to stop the rattle temporally, use rubber - NOT PAPER.

Thank you, I did remove the paper and got the bent pipe fixed. It was indeed burnt partially and it was certainly not a very smart DIY. A local garage heated up the pipe and moved things back into place. Paid 300 for the job.

Another issue had cropped up in the Manza: I could smell a LOT of traffic smoke from other vehicles even with the recirculation mode on. I could hear the flap open/close upon pressing the recirculate button.

Took it to one AC mechanic near Atul Kataria chowk in Gurgaon and he suggested AC servicing as a solution for 2k. Left immediately and went to another a few shops down the road and his diagnosis was that the recirculation flap's open/close mechanism along with the motor would need to be replaced and can only be done by TASS. As a fix, he disconnected the motor and fixed the flap in recirculate position with a screw for 50 rupees. So as of now I can't change the AC to fresh air mode but the smoke/smell issue has subsided. No idea yet how much Tata will charge for this as the car is out of warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanmay K (Post 3823516)
Another issue had cropped up in the Manza: I could smell a LOT of traffic smoke from other vehicles even with the recirculation mode on. I could hear the flap open/close upon pressing the recirculate button.

Took it to one AC mechanic near Atul Kataria chowk in Gurgaon and he suggested AC servicing as a solution for 2k. Left immediately and went to another a few shops down the road and his diagnosis was that the recirculation flap's open/close mechanism along with the motor would need to be replaced and can only be done by TASS. As a fix, he disconnected the motor and fixed the flap in recirculate position with a screw for 50 rupees. So as of now I can't change the AC to fresh air mode but the smoke/smell issue has subsided. No idea yet how much Tata will charge for this as the car is out of warranty.

I have a 53K old QJD Manza. I had exactly same problem when extended warranty was still in force. Took it to TASS and they asked me to get the recirculation motor replaced but it would not be done under warranty as TaMo had rejected such claims in the past. So, I got them to provide the temporary solution like what you have mentioned. I placed an order for the motor as it wasn't in stock with them. They forgot to provide an update as to when it will come. I also didn't bother as the temporary solution worked perfectly. By the way, they quoted 1800 odd rupees for the job. This was 6 months back.

Guys
I am having a problem with my Manza , the engine check light keeps on coming constantly, initially it showed another symptom that glow plugs are not functioning OK ; So I changed one glow plug ; Now the glow plug indicator is gone but the engine check light is always on; I wonder what it could be, because the car is otherwise running fine ; My warranty is completed and I usually take it to an FNG , who said its just bad signal and ignore it . But I want to make sure something is not wrong inside. So anyone had this issue before ? OR any suggestions anyone ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechNomad (Post 3887645)
Guys
I am having a problem with my Manza , the engine check light keeps on coming constantly, initially it showed another symptom that glow plugs are not functioning OK ; So I changed one glow plug ; Now the glow plug indicator is gone but the engine check light is always on; I wonder what it could be, because the car is otherwise running fine ; My warranty is completed and I usually take it to an FNG , who said its just bad signal and ignore it . But I want to make sure something is not wrong inside. So anyone had this issue before ? OR any suggestions anyone ?

Please go to a FNG or the ASS and plug in a diagnostics tool and check what error code the vehicle is showing. After which we can suggest what steps to take.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 3887681)
Please go to a FNG or the ASS and plug in a diagnostics tool and check what error code the vehicle is showing. After which we can suggest what steps to take.

Hi - I took the car to ASS this morning, they scanned it and "NO ERROR FOUND" in the scanner ; Then again the glow plugs were checked , connections & wirings tightened a bit , and Voila !! The engine check light is gone.
So I guess that's that . Thanks for your suggestion.

Recently the car has also started to develop some rattling noise from the back door on Left , and sometimes from the Dashboard area too ; My FNG is clueless from where the sound maybe coming and what needs to be done.
I guess I will have to take it to ASS again sometime . Any suggestions on this issue .

I have a Manza LS Quadrajet, which was bought in Dec 2013 with Extended Warranty and Gold AMC. In the last 2 & 1/2 yrs of ownership, the car itself has been reliable and enjoyable to drive. Excepting niggles like creaks and 'tak-tak' sounds here and there,broken plastics,etc the overall package is good and VFM.I drive it sedately and maintainance is done on schedule.I even take it to the company workshop for a checkup every 5000 kms for checking the fluids, battery, tyres etc.

However, in the last few instances of service, I have noticed that my car developed a new issue immediately post-service.It was usually unrelated to any other issue that I had prior to the service itself.This entailed that I again take it to the ASC the very next week to get this fresh issue sorted out.Even though this was done FOC, the process was irritating and led to wastage of time.

This time, at 25000 km, I was thinking of a check-up when I saw there was a Monsoon camp being held. As such, there was no problems with the car and I took it for the 40 point check-up and regular fluids & battery check. This was on 20.7.16. From 22.7.16, the gears would not properly slot into place. 1st and 2nd gear became way too hard. Reverse gear engagement became progressively difficult....trying to slot it in from standstill, with full clutch, would lead to grinding sound, so much so that I became fearful of damaging the gearbox.3rd,4th and 5th gear became notchy, requiring effort.

As of today,25.7.16,my Manza is defunct.Reverse gear cannot be slotted in. ASC says they have no idea what could be the problem and have asked me to bring the car to the workshop again. I am worried that this time it might be something serious.

Any thoughts ?? Is there any way to contact higher officials of TATA Motors Customer Care to get this matter looked into ?

Which ASC do you visit ? Do you know a good SA at the service center you visit? If I were you, I'd ensure that I get the vehicle serviced infront of me all the time. Unfortunately my visits to the TATA ASC in Bangalore (Concorde) has not been hassle free all the time. It is a hit/miss case and purely depends on the SA who deals with your vehicle.

Have you experienced any clutch hardness in the recent times, if the gear is not slotting then I'd suspect the clutch, could be oil leakage or issue with the clutch kit itself. I recently got my clutch kit replaced through a Bosch service center in Bangalore as it had almost worn out after running for around 55K.

What is the total kms covered by your car?

First step : Get the car fixed and this time get it done in front of your eyes. May be worth trying another ASC if you do not know anyone particular in your current ASC.
Second Step: Escalate it to the service center higher up Folks
Third step : Engage TATA, I had previously written complaints to (md@tatamotors.com; md@tata.com) and explained about my experiences.

Since I last escalated to TATA and Concorde, at least the ASC did not break my car, they did the routine things as it should be done.

Best Regards,
Rajiv

Hi BHPians , All

I had an accident on Friday night while returning home from work . The car in front of me suddenly stopped abruptly , as a result , I applied brakes hard and stopped just short of his rear bumper !! However within a few seconds , the car behind me could not brake and banged my rear bumper. The crash resulted in several dents in my rear bumper , my boot does not open , the clips have come out etc. etc. ; It was late in night , so after exchanging pleasantries , we were off on our ways. I had a good mind to stop him and ask for damages , but for some unknown reason I let him go! Now when I think back , it looks like there were further problems in claiming damage from one party as there were multiple parties involved .

Does anybody know if there are any arbitration process for claiming damages when multiple parties are involved , and it is not entirely one's fault ? Who pays the damages in those cases ?

Anyway , that's one side of the story I have to find answers !!

This morning I took the Car to Heera Motors Gurgaon , I searched this forum and a few BHPians commented on Heera Motors skills for body work , so I wanted to try him .
After a few calls I arrived at the Garage , it's on the main road , open air , no paint booth . However the person Heera seemed genuine in his approach . And a Jovial person , I must say.

He has quoted 15,000/- for denting and painting work , for 5 Panels , 3000/- each , and quoted 3000/- for AC servicing . These quotes looked on the higher side to me , specially the AC servicing . Also he wants 5 days to repair all of it , which I think is a bit too long . I would be happy with 2 days time. And lastly , and most surprisingly , he informed that he does not work with Insurance companies !! I mean , every provider in the market today works with Car Insurance companies , small and big , but not these guys ? !!

I will cover the progress and the whole process of repair done and post it here . I believe it will server two purposes - 1. To validate the credibility of Heera Motors as I got the reference from this Forum only , and 2. For Manza users/owners , a cost analysis for body work to be done in Delhi NCR region , because these don't have fixed rates (usually) and depends from one place to another , so hopefully that will be helpful as I could not find one when I was looking

Hi BHPians , All
I made a mistake - I did not capture all the broken area images so that a "before" and "after" comparison could be seen by you all visually . Nevertheless , here are some pics while the car is undergoing treatment at Heera's .

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStranger (Post 4021696)
I have a Manza LS Quadrajet, which was bought in Dec 2013 with Extended Warranty and Gold AMC. ....................Any thoughts ?? Is there any way to contact higher officials of TATA Motors Customer Care to get this matter looked into ?

Apologies for the late update...

Soon after my car almost came to a standstill, I got in touch with the CRM Eastern region and discussed the issue in detail. I was directed to go to another ASC (not my regular dealer ASC). There, the SA test drove m car and did a clutch-bleeding with new clutch fluid. Since then , slotting gears have become much easier. Over the last 1000 kms that I have driven (post bleeding the clutch), notchiness has decreased but still there have been sporadic instances when the gears get difficult to slot in. The SA advised me that if the issue gets more frequent, I will have to get the whole clutch kit changed.

I think I will have to get it done soon because I have a small trip coming up and do not want to be stranded on the highways.

Will update further.