Team-BHP - Tata Manza - List Of Problems
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Tata Manza - List Of Problems (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/87780-tata-manza-list-problems-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S5157 (Post 2562741)
I am not a manza owner but i have seen several manzas which has the reverse light ON while the car is moving forward. It has scared me several times while driving behind them in the traffic signals.

I think you are specifically referring to the white light - demarcating reverse lamps.
Am I correct?
Or are you referring to something else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridhar K (Post 2563240)
It is the rear fog lamp that could be turned on even while driving forward. Ideally, the they should have disabled it when reverse gear is not engaged.

It could be the rear fog lamps.

BTW - the Rear Fog Lamps - are not for reversing.

They are to help drivers behind you - identify the presence of your vehicle ahead of them - during heavy rains, fog, smog etc.

Though they do help visibility to some extent when reversing too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj (Post 2563320)
I think you are specifically referring to the white light - demarcating reverse lamps.
Am I correct?
Or are you referring to something else?

It could be the rear fog lamps.

BTW - the Rear Fog Lamps - are not for reversing.

They are to help drivers behind you - identify the presence of your vehicle ahead of them - during heavy rains, fog, smog etc.

Though they do help visibility to some extent when reversing too.

Isn't the rear fog lamps should be red in colour? The ones I saw was white.

My SX4 has rear fog lamps and they are red in colour.

The problematic front suspension issue seems to be quite common - my two month old Qjt model simply thuds over speed breakers. I had taken it to the a TASS earlier, they had fixed it temporarily - now the problem has resurfaced again. Probably being caused by the front shocks.

The rear seat does not latch into place properly - hence there's a constant noise heard from the rear when there are no passengers seated behind.

I also find the car's suspension a bit too soft and it bottoms out fairly easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S5157 (Post 2563783)
Isn't the rear fog lamps should be red in colour? The ones I saw was white.

My SX4 has rear fog lamps and they are red in colour.

Yes & No.

Yes - the rear fog lamps are red in colour. & yes, they are red in colour in the Manza too.

No - I think we got this all wrong. Having read some one else's reply to your post - I was mislead to believe that maybe you confused the fogs for the reverse light.

Which now makes me look back & think stupid: & should :Frustrati

So my apologies for allowing my mind to accept such a statement which is quite poor in its LQ (Logic Quotient)

Apologies. It was me who misled the discussion. The rear fog lamp is indeed red in color. Since the glass over my fog lamp was broken, I had covered them with a black vinyl sticker. Since then, I had forgotten the fact that they were red in color.

Hi all, good to find this thread, in order to help ourselves let me request to list out the solutions for the problems faced as well.

My Manza has been driven for 6k kms and i have no issue with the car except for one thing which is currently being worked upon.

Problem
1. Jerk felt as if there is loss of power when the turbo spools and is about to open i.e. anywhere between 2500 to 2800 rpm.

Diagnosis
1. Air filter cleaned
2. 1.3MJD engine management software hooked up and check nothing reported
3. Turbo spooler sensor had some dust and was cleaned, this is near the intercooler
4. Injectors also cleaned

After doing the above we still noticed the problem, so Prerana SA Sharanappa & I took the test drive of a different Manza and we did not notice that problem with or without a/c. Also during idle the engine note is smooth, so i left my car there since i had work and got a call later yesterday that they worked on some parts and now the car is fine, so i will go an check today.

Though not a big concern but since i have noticed it it stays in my mind till its solved.

Other Minor Problem
1. Front suspension noise when going over humps, solved after reassembling the joints
2. Left pull from the car, solved after alignment but has recropped after 2k kms of highway run over some bad roads.

My Manza broke down for the first time on Thursday due to an alternator failure(14,745 kms on the odo). After stopping at a hotel for lunch, the car refused to start and the realized that the battery was drained. I was damn sure that I hadn't done anything that would drain the battery like keeping the headlights on and the car is not even an year old. So suspected that there could be a problem with the alternator.

Called up Tata's break down service and the mechanic called me back within 10 minutes and asked the problem. I told him that the battery could be suspect and he promised to reach me in 40 mins but reached me in 20 mins. He came in a scooter with Amaron battery and some basic tool.

He jump started the car and suggested me to take it to the new TASC (TVS Automobiles) near Porur, Chennai for checking the alternator. They checked the alternator and there was no output from it. After a few checks in the system, they confirmed that it is covered under a replacement warranty. There was no stock of it in any of the TASC in Chennai and had to be ordered from Pune.

Per the SA, the alternator is not from Bosch/Lucas but from a different company (Valeo). The wait time is 3 working days minimum and have dropped the car at their place. Hoping to get it at least within a week if not 3 days. Since the car is going to be with them for atleast 3 days, gave them a laundry list of complaints/niggles for them to fix
1) Dash board rattle
2) Combination switch does not auto cut off /nor the steering returns to center when it is turned to the right side
3) Rattling fog lamps and mist formation in left fog lamps
4) Steering vibration at 110 kmph (even after alignment and balancing)
5) Squeeking noise from rear suspension when breaks are released at slow speeds
6) Front suspension noice when going over pot holes
7) Hard clutch
8) Too much play in gear knob

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridhar K (Post 2605483)
My Manza broke down for the first time on Thursday due to an alternator failure(14,745 kms on the odo).

Sorry to hear this Sridhar, I too had similar experience, but in my case the alternator failed within a month. And the car was in garage for more than 8 days !! Check with TASS every day, else they will keep on postponing the replacement.

sreerknair,
Thanks. Followed your advise and kept calling the SA almost daily.

Got the alternator replaced within warranty. The alternator arrived at TASC on Tuesday and after replacing, they found *the battery not charging* lamp glowing. Took some time to fix it and finally the car was delivered on Thursday evening, exactly a week after it was dropped. Though the alternator is manufactured in Chennai Valeo factory(Amalgamation group), the replacement had to be procured from Tata's central ware hous in Pune as it is a warranty replacement

They also attended the other small niggles that I had asked them to fix

1) Dashboard rattling: Fixed for now and the mechanic attributed it to a box behind the steering column.
2) Steering wheel vibration: Observed when going over uneven roads and speeds above 110 kmph. I had also observed it on the test car last year. He attributed to an minor adjustment in the steering column and mentioned it as a standard complaint and that there is a standard fix.
3) Rattling fog lamp assembly: fixed
4) Mist formation in the left fog lamp: Nothing could be done.
5) Replaced the right rear tail lamp (Rs 1200 including labor) as I had broken it
6) Front suspension noises and excess body rolls: Fixed by tigheting the bolts on the struts.
7) Clutch: Feels better now than ever before. Clutch bleeding and greasing of the cable was done
8) Breaks Pads were cleaned
9) Wheel alignment : Rs 250
10) Combination switch: replaced again as the right turn indicator was not getting auto cut off
11) Underchasis wash: Rs 99 (introductory offer as the TASC is new)
12) Gear knob play: Reduced now (there is some adjustment mechanism which seems to have been touched at the 10k service at VST. Still not good as original.

Outstanding issues:
1) A new issues has cropped up: one of the driver side power window switch had gone Kaput and the LEDs don't glow anymore. They acknowledged the mistake and have ordered replacement and will fit them on Monday.

2) The plastic gauard below the engine compartment which I had asked them to fit is still under procurement (the original one broke when going over a big pot hole).

3) They are awaiting approval for replacement of combi switch under warranty since it has been replaced once earlier under warranty. The cost is Rs 900.

A Manza mechanic has joined them from Dairy Circle, Bangalore Concorde and he was aware of all the typical Manza issues and most of its solution. He mentioned that Dairy circle concorde is kind of the Southern HQ for Concorde and has all the best of equipments among all TASS in South India to deal with problems.

SOMETHING THAT YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL WITH:

A problem that I faced some time back with my MANZA.

One fine day after having been driven for a few kms and then parked, it refused to start. A red light on the left was blinking constantly on the dash. Kept trying and trying and trying, having called the toll free number and awaiting mechanic's appearance. Switched off, removed the key, locked the car, unlocked the car, put the key in, tried again....no luck! Gave up and waited for the expert. He appeared in about 30 minutes and the car started with the first turn. Took it to Concorde for a check, everything was normal.

Another fine day, the whole sequence happened again. This time, I realised that there was something rattling inside the key and mentioned this on the toll free. Mechanic arrived but about the same time, the car started and took it again to Concorde. Seems it is a simple problem. The transponder in the key was loose and hence the issue. It worked perfectly with the duplicate key. 10 minutes, everything sorted out and let off with a warning to not use the key as a ball (handle with care...happens when it is dropped and falls on the ground with a bang!).

Happened once again, but this time I was prepared. Was pretty late at night and the toolkit came out, unscrewed the key, however it wasn't splitting open easily and since I really did not want to experiment further, did not proceed. Without the screw inside the key, I put the key in and lo it started. Parked it at home, and next morning, tightened the screw and tried to start, it would not. Removed the screw and tried to start, it did! Strange!!!

Took it back to Concorde, 10 minutes, no warning only a wry smile from my favorite advisor and we were back to normal. When I go on long trips, I ensure that I carry the duplicate key with me.

P.S. It is only the ignition that does not start, the central locking happens!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj (Post 2562528)

1. The Front Windscreen plastic patti - was OFF from day one. Just not sitting on the clips - leaving the windshield open & bare (pics attached)

Update: Due action taken by Tata Motors & replaced with a new piece of plastic

Dr,

I saw a Manza today with the same problem. Brand New Vehicle ( must not be more than a week old ) with the patti sticking out.

On seeing , I just remembered your post. Think this is a common problem faced by all Manza's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pariwar (Post 2629898)
SOMETHING THAT YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL WITH:

A problem that I faced some time back with my MANZA.

P.S. It is only the ignition that does not start, the central locking happens!

I have not faced this issue, but I am aware of it.
Why?
Because the innards of my key had been opened for a transplant surgery.
(more on that when it finally happens - look out for the post on my thread)

Basically the HUGE key has 3 elements -
1. the metal key
2. the circuit board that is for locking & unlocking, a red led & a PAIR of CR20 batteries (watch out - they can be a problem sometimes)
3. a small black thing at the upper left hand corner of the keyfob.

THAT is crucial. Because that is what VERIFIES & authenticates the key as authorized.
So even is someone matches the RF & the circuit board & duplicates the key - manages to get INSIDE - they will NOT be able to start the engine.

Also - I suggest check the batteries. & I think you must ask them to just replace the key itself!
(they may charge you for it - I think 800 Rs!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon (Post 2668636)
Dr,

I saw a Manza today with the same problem. Brand New Vehicle ( must not be more than a week old ) with the patti sticking out.

On seeing , I just remembered your post. Think this is a common problem faced by all Manza's.

Thank you very much for sharing Marlon!
& thanks for thinking of my Manza!

Yes ... it does seem to be a common problem ... thankfully mine has resolved after the 3rd time they changed the same silly piece of plastic.

But that doesnt change the fact that it is a STUPID thing to be having & they should take MUCH better care of it.

4 months update:

Odo Reading: 3628 kms.

Total cumulative average till date (FE) - since I never did reset the Trip B counter:
15.9 kmpl.

Otherwise FE:
Note: A/C on full time, usually 4 occupants in the car, minimal luggage.

City:
Light traffic - there is no such thing as light traffic in Mumbai.

Moderate traffic - easily 13-14 kmpl

Heavy traffic - drops down to 11.5 to 12.5 but never worse.

City manners are good. Clutch is easy in traffic. NO PAIN in the knees (unlike my Indica). Easy to drive. Good fun too.
Parking - thank God for those sensors! But otherwise decent. Good turning radius. No hiccups. Infact - over eager engine.
& yes - brakes seem too soft sometimes.

Highway:
Like all Tata cars - this is a highway car.
Begging for more!
loves a straight stretch.
& is TOTAL comfort in the backseat.
Extremely powerful and easy to handle at even sufficiently high speeds.
Best FE between 110 to 120. Or rather 100 - 120 kmph.
Easily gives 20 to 22kmpl.

The 1st service was done at 956kms - hence at 1 month.
Total charges - 100 Rs.

Videos Updated here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2598183

Now a few negatives:

I had mentioned a few problems earlier on ....
Well, they have ALL been sorted out.

The plastic bit on the windscreen does not pop anymore.
The plastic screw covers have been replaced & they have stayed put.

BUT:

I had 5 complaints for which I went to the service centre last week.
1. The fuel tank lid would not open smoothly in 1 go by the lever below the seat
2. The indicators (left & right) would not auto-reverse back sometimes when steering was turned less than 2 turns or just given a 180 degree turn
3. There was some weird humming noise / vibrating noise - ONLY when the car was idling & the A/C was on. If the car moved even a bit or the A/c was switched off - it would disappear instantly.
4. A very very disturbing & scary RATTLING noise when : a. reversing the car & clutch released at half. b. when in 2nd gear & car clutch engaged partially - rather while lifting it off.
5. Headlamp alignment seemed a little off (seen in the video here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2598183) right lower than left.

Solution:

1. Just a small setting / alignment change at the lock of the lid

2. Changed the COMBI switch of the indicators - under warranty.
Cost Rs. 450. - & the stalk itself feels MUCH softer now

3. The Service Adviser said it was due to a pair of 'bush' that were slightly cracked - probably when the car hit a bad pothole. Part changed. Charged 22 Rs per busy. So total 44Rs. (inclusive of taxes) (Will attach a copy of the bill)

4. SA said it was the TURBO pipe touching the body somewhere near the base. Adjust - noise gone! Totally !

5. Re-alignment done - clear. Wonder how it was wrong in the 1st place.

Now:
For some BAD BAD news:

1. The rear seat that was torn thanks to Wasan Motors - its been 4 months.
We have been running from pillar to post. Calling up repeatedly. Everytime the buck is passed on to some new guy - but till date NO solution.
They confirmed replacement - but always keep making some ridiculous excuses! Even though Tata Motors HAS issued them a directive to do the needful ASAP. Horrible experience.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2562748

2. A Taxi cut my stationary Manza at a signal near Chembur.
He wanted to go right, so did we. He was in the 2nd lane, we were in the 1st.
Still he tried to overtake & in the process his Metal bumper (Typically Premier Padmini Taxi) hit, hooked & dislodged our front bumper !
:Frustrati
It was ripped right from its bracket.
Apart from the scratches .... it just broke off a few hooks.

Now ... Even if we claim in insurance .... it will cost upwards of 4.5k + the chrome strips are expensive & hard to procure.
So the Wasan Motors SA did some 'jugaad' to keep the Bumper aligned in place & working perfectly (some screw system)
& I shall have to live with the scratches & a small dent.

P.S.

This time at the Wasan Motors workshop at Deonar,
a nice tall gentleman with a Tata Motors ID card around his neck walked up to me & introduced himself as Mr. Arun Chandra - & he wanted my complaints & genuine feedback on everything.
& he has promised to convey it all to higher authorities.
(email id: arun.chandra@tatmotors.com)
Maybe somethings are improving.

& TATA is finally waking up to the fact that its the A.S.S. that screws up more than their actual product !

Lets hope for the best.

Attachment 883301

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 2591630)
Hi all, good to find this thread, in order to help ourselves let me request to list out the solutions for the problems faced as well.

My Manza has been driven for 6k kms and i have no issue with the car except for one thing which is currently being worked upon.

Problem
1. Jerk felt as if there is loss of power when the turbo spools and is about to open i.e. anywhere between 2500 to 2800 rpm.

Diagnosis
1. Air filter cleaned
2. 1.3MJD engine management software hooked up and check nothing reported
3. Turbo spooler sensor had some dust and was cleaned, this is near the intercooler
4. Injectors also cleaned

After doing the above we still noticed the problem, so Prerana SA Sharanappa & I took the test drive of a different Manza and we did not notice that problem with or without a/c. Also during idle the engine note is smooth, so i left my car there since i had work and got a call later yesterday that they worked on some parts and now the car is fine, so i will go an check today.

Though not a big concern but since i have noticed it it stays in my mind till its solved.

Other Minor Problem
1. Front suspension noise when going over humps, solved after reassembling the joints
2. Left pull from the car, solved after alignment but has recropped after 2k kms of highway run over some bad roads.

Finally all problems solved, the 1 pending of jerking was solved by changing the EGR valve which modern diesel engines have.

9k kms Update: No Problems :D (touch wood)

Hello Everyone,

After reading some inspiring reviews clap: in team BHP I have a bought TATA manza Qdjt ( Aura ABS) from Prerana Motors,Bangalore on 11-Feb-12.

Today I have left my car for service ( first free service ) @ 1348 KMS with following complaints

1) Squeaking noise from rear suspension - SA told me the sound is from rear seat and not from suspension and he will fix it.

2) Gear shift is not smooth - SA told it will take time for gear to get smoother, not sure about this.

3) FE is at @ 12 km in pure city traffic and 17 KM on High ways- again SA told it will increase gradually

Now I have following questions

1) I have not taken AMC while purchasing, now SA is forcing me to take it

AMC options are as follows

a) 2 years/20k KMS( gold)- 10,000Rs Includes wear & tear viz, brakes,suspension,clutch etc and all scheduled maintance service including lube and parts.

b) 3 years/30k KMS ( Gold) - 17000 Rs which again includes the same as above.

Kindly let me know which option to take it and is it really worth taking this AMC upfront as my usage will be less for next two years.

SA is suggesting no need to change the current oil till 10 k /1 year , but somewhere on forum I read it is advisable to change the oil in first service.

Also SA is claiming that every oil change (@10K km/1 year ) will cost me 5580 Rs , is it correct ?since they use synthetic oil and 1 litre oil cost around 1100 rs.