Team-BHP - Tata Manza - List Of Problems
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Tata Manza - List Of Problems (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/87780-tata-manza-list-problems-2.html)

Based on the activity of the thread and the citing posted in it, I do not think it is a BAD product at all. Although, I was bit skeptical, but end of the day, I think GTO was right in his review. This is wayy better than other tata products.

Hello,

Not much activity on this thread. So that's good news. Let me add a few things from my experience. For reference, I bought Aura ABS QJD variant on 1 Feb 2010. I have used it for about 12,600 km so far. It’s my daily ride in Delhi/ NCR to office, weekend shopping etc. and once in 2 months home town visit to Patiala. So here I go:

Good One’s first:

1. Engine: the best thing about the car according to me is it’s diesel engine. We all know about this 1.3L MJD unit, but still want to mention that it’s a delight to drive. Very smooth, silent (by diesel standards), excellent low / mid range performance. Decent (not excellent) top end as well (I don’t drive beyond 120kmph, so good enough for me). Amazing FE, I get around 15 in NCR traffic with 100% AC and 20 on highway with 100% AC.
2. Space: a lot has been discussed on this; no doubt, Manza offers a lot of space at this price point.
3. VFM pricing: a lot of features, space, engine at the price of some hatchbacks. My OTR cost for Aura ABS Diesel variant was just Rs.6.6L.

Okay, Okay:

1. Ride quality: It’s average at best. May be due to Bridgestone B250 tyres or bad NCR roads (after a good monsoon), but the car makes a few people uncomfortable when going over bad roads.
2. Handling: Again average at best I would say. But the good thing is that we know Tata cars are not great at it, so no surprises here.
3. Interiors: Some are very okay and some bad (bad covered below). I find the roof material, floor carpeting, seat material etc to be of okay quality. Music system is also average.

Bad:

1. Interiors: Some plastic parts are outright cheap. Power window buttons, horn pad plastic for example. Panel gaps etc are not consistent. So does not give a very good feeling on quality of items inside.
2. Design Flaws: a) High/ Low beams are poorly designed, does not light up the road properly. My old santro has way better lights for night driving. May be this is to with the bulb but bad anyway (and risky as well). b) driver side OVRM does not extend properly, will always show you 25% of the car. c) gear box is not a very smooth and slick one to use. It slots well but needs medium length throws. Again I find my santro’s gear box much better to use (even after 127,000 km’s).
3. A few niggles: a) Front suspension sounds: Keep getting weird sounds from front suspension on bad roads. b) Warning buzzer does not work from day 1. c) Steering wheel creates mild ‘ktak ktak’ sound when side indicator is on and steering wheel is turned in any direction. Per Tata folks, this is normal in all Vista and Manza cars. They showed me a brand new vista and it had similar sound.

Overall, I am happy with the car. It does what I wanted it to do. Not many surprises here and there as I expected an experience like this before buying. I must also add that I have not spent any money so far on any repairs. First expense on car will be at 20,000 km service for which I expect to spend about 7k (if it's all routine). I think it's very economical to maintain this car as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 2044086)
Very curious about this product. Manza has far less issues or no at all compared to its cousins?

I have read about some electrical glitches, power steering noise at full turn locks and of car bottoming at full load.

Can the owners update us of the issues faced ?

Hi Das,
This is Vel. Instead of typing I am giving you the link below about my experience on Indigo Manza.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...aura-qjet.html
Front Suspension was an issue & the associated noise. This again is not in all the cars. It appears in some cars just after 1K or in some cars after 10-15k...run.
Mine had a problem on left suspension & attended by dealer. Needs to be test run.
The rear coil spring is soft & rear sinks with just minimum loads...
The power plant is fine, pickup every thing is fine.
Steering whistling noise is little disturbing.
Electricals were not an issue in my car, but fit & finish, which we all knew.
Having driven Toyota Prado, Fortuner & Nissan Patrol here in the gulf, little set back for me; but still I love this Car as it is from our guys! I love this car at the end of the day as it is from TATA.!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 2044086)
Very curious about this product. Manza has far less issues or no at all compared to its cousins?

I have read about some electrical glitches, power steering noise at full turn locks and of car bottoming at full load.

Can the owners update us of the issues faced ?

Hi Das,
Please see my link / feedback.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...aura-qjet.html
further to my feedback last updated, I had problems in my LHS suspension noise which were also attended.
In general I am happy except for the problems I have expressed. There are some short comings, but its fine with me.
Major issues were, the steering noise, front suspension & rear suspension.
A/C is fine, but in the middle of the day, not effective. Probably I need to fit some suncontrol film.
Powerplant was fine & never let us down any time, fantastic pickup for the engine, with full load of passengers.
Space wise very nice. You need be careful at speed breakers.
At the end of the day, having driven my Prado, Fortuner & the Nissan Patrol here in the GCC, I still love Manza from TATA. Car for back home in India. It serves me the purpose....
On the mileage, it was giving me about 14-.5-15km/lt on an average. Although some claim for higher mileage. Probably its true if you drive at say 60-70km/hr. I generally cruise between 90-110km/hr. So I am loosing on my milage...
Go for it

one more issue which i missed it to share. the dashboard rattling was existing even in smooth roads, which was arrested with some dampers by dealers.

Here are my list of problems that i have encounterd on my Safire- Aura
1.Power steering hard: This was corrected in the recent service. Now its not super light but is much better
2.Suspension noise:This was a recurring problem and when i told them this is the last time i wanna be hearing that noise, they replaced the struts and some bush etc, Result? Noise Gone. Will have to monitor this over time and hope it does not come back.
3.Recently one of the power window switch on the right front door went kaput. they had the whole assembly changed, but as with TATA service, the other swiches(on individual doors) were not connected.They are sending a guy over to my place to see if something may not be connected.

But i love this car for the comfort and features it offers for the price.

The good and bad things that i have noticed in the Manza is:

Pros:- Space
Mileage, Comfortable ride, Interiors are good (atleast to me),VFM.

The Cons that i notice are:-

Personal opinion- The car is really very huge sometime i get annoyed about the size of the car in the city traffic and very narrow lanes. offcourse it is the problem in the city traffic, roads and the car can do nothing for this aspect.

A/C--When the A/C is switched on the power of the car reduces drastically and the engine (Deisel engine) noise is very much audible. I am not aware whether this problem is only with my car or all the Manza cars. Any manza owners can throw some light on this.

The famous issue called "KATTUCK SOUND" from the front suspension is evident when the cars goes through a hump in a reasonable speed. Offcourse when you safely travel on the hump at extreme low speed this sound is not heard.I haven't droppped my car on any humps harder till today.

One more negative is the Tata Service. I got my car's first free service from the Concorde people- They just pretend to show that they are customer friendly and caring but they never bother to rectify any mistakes which was intimated by the customer. Plus the cars are handled very carelessly. Indeed my plastic tray used for holding mobile phones just below the handbrakes were broken at the time of first service which i noticed quiet sometime later. The service centre people never admitted for the same. Also i found three sratches over the car after the first service which was again not admitted by the service centre peope.I had taken the delivery of the car after service in the late evening and could not notice the same and immediately i was out of station the very next day for about 15 days so only after that fifteen days i could notice this damage and scratches, so the same was not admitted by the service centre people.:Frustrati

They keep on calling you for feedback. but if you post some un-satisfied comment, what they have got to say " WE ARE VERY SORRY FOR THAT SAAAAR, I WILL TAKE A COMPLAINT ON THIS SAAR" That is the end of the story and no more reply on the same.

Since this thread about the list of problems, will focus on the problems faced in the first 1000 Kms

1) Dry wipe marks/swirls all over the car during delivery - courtesy the showroom folks- not a car problem but Tata Sales & Service problem

2) Poor quality of plastics- One of the Power window switch and door lever occasionally don't function. The panel housing the lane change indicator was not fixed properly. Feviquick/Quickfix solved the issues. Same problem seen in my friends Linea

3) Dashboard rattling - as though a some nut/screw is loose inside the dashboard, noticeable when driving over bad/uneven roads. Pointed it during my first service, they claimed to have fixed it but it is not

4) Rear suspension flattening out/thud noise when fully loaded and going over speed bumps with a thud sound perhaps the jack pads hitting the ground. Have to drive carefully when driving over speed humps, bad/uneven roads

5) Same as rki2007- When a/c is running , the radiator fan starts, the sound and vibration level go up. However there is no real drop in power.

6) Driveability below 1500 rpm is poor but really good after 1500 rpm

7) Doors and boot lit need a lot of force to close properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridhar K (Post 2230588)
Since this thread about the list of problems, will focus on the problems faced in the first 1000 Kms

1) Dry wipe marks/swirls all over the car during delivery - courtesy the showroom folks- not a car problem but Tata Sales & Service problem

2) Poor quality of plastics- One of the Power window switch and door lever occasionally don't function. The panel housing the lane change indicator was not fixed properly. Feviquick/Quickfix solved the issues. Same problem seen in my friends Linea

3) Dashboard rattling - as though a some nut/screw is loose inside the dashboard, noticeable when driving over bad/uneven roads. Pointed it during my first service, they claimed to have fixed it but it is not

The Manza I test drove, had its speedo disconnected. Upon 'detailed' enquirey the Sales guy openly admitted that, the vehicle will indeed be sold to unsuspecting customers.

Your 1,2 & 3 problems are common with USED cars, and not with NEW cars.

Do check the VIN and confirm manufacturing date.

The car that I test drove was also similar. I booked the car in Dec and got delivery in Jan.

Per the VIN number decoding and Form 22, it was a October make lying in the Tata Warehouses and took nearly two weeks for it to come. Kind of understandable as the combination (Gothic Olive + Aura + + QJD) was not readily available except in a Tata factory warehouse. The color is on its way out. Did a detailed PDI before registration. None of the two problems were there. Dashboard rattling developed midway (I consistently drive on bad roads) and dry wipe marks were not there during PDI. Plastic quality is a problem that is consistent with all Manza's that I have seen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridhar K (Post 2230588)

While installing the reverse camera, traced the problem to a loose screw behind the Blaupunkt HU. Picture in the below link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...oose-screw.jpg

Build quality issue.

Hey fellas. I just thought of updating this thread with my experience so far. My Manza just crossed 30k this morning and I am going for 1st paid service in next 3-4 days. It's been 15 months so far and still very happy with car. In summary, economical, practical and totally VFM. So far I have spent Rs.7,500 in maintaining the car and 30k service should not be more than 2k. FE in general is about 19-20 so running cost is about Rs.2 per km. That along with maintenence cost of 25 paisa per km and another 25 for tires makes it about overall cost of Rs.2.5. VFM as I said! The only issue I have with the car is that there has not been a service in which I did not have any small problems to mention. I would love to go for a service and say, no issues with the car, please do the scheduled oil, filter changes and general check-up. I had many services like that with our two santros. None with Manza so far. But I guess that's part of owning a Tata. At the same time, the issues reported have been small and considering what this car offers in return can be tolerated.

Some problems for 30k service. Manza has hydraulic clutch:

1. The clutch has become harder than earlier and I am experiencing this for about last 15k km's.

2. While shifting between 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears (both up and down shift) and releasing clutch after shift results in a one time jerk (no matter how slowly the clutch is released).

3. Gear lever has developed a little bit of play. Like in neutral or any gear I can feel that there is up/down and left/right play in the lever. It's not much but ~1 inch of movement on the top of the lever.

4. AC compressor creates noise and viabrations only when the car is stationary. As car moves and RPM increases, the noise and viabrations go away. I can hear the sound with windows closed and viabrations are felt at steering, gear, clutch etc.

I get my car serviced at Sterling Automobile in Noida (don't have better options, I guess). At last service told them about the clutch hardness but they said it's normal. Last week I called for a test drive of new Manza to check on any of these issues. The new car did not have any of these issues. I know the clutch in my car is not slipping as I get very decent mileage (17-18 local and 22-23 highway). Also RPM is consistant with the speed at relevant gear (say about 2k rpm at 85 in 5th gear). There is no juddering on releasing the clutch.

Can you please suggest what all I should get checked for the above problems? So far, this is what is on my mind (please share your views on this).

1. For clutch related issues - adjust the free play, bleed the clutch (if they agree to), check for parts of hydraulic system for leakage or other damage.

2. For gear related issue - check for lever lubrication, shifter bushes, gear linkages. FYI Manza has a cable operated GB so do those cables require lubrication? Also any possibility to adjust (tighten/ loosen) the cables?

3. For AC, check the compressor and gas level.

Driving in traffic is not so much fun anymore due to these issues. So Please advise. Thanks much in advance.

@Amit, Is it the A/C compressor or the radiator fan? I have the same problem and suspect the issue is with the fan as the fan comes on when the car is stationary or running in bumper to bumper traffic at extremely slow speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridhar K (Post 2315108)
@Amit, Is it the A/C compressor or the radiator fan? I have the same problem and suspect the issue is with the fan as the fan comes on when the car is stationary or running in bumper to bumper traffic at extremely slow speeds.

It's not the radiator main fan as I don't feel it ever when driving w/o AC. It probably can be the second fan which runs with AC or when the car temp hits second fan mark. I strongly feel that it is the compressor since with AC on both the fans are always running but viabrations starts when compressor starts and I can feel it mostly when the car is stationary. Take this example, I am driving @60 kmph with AC and stop at the red light. All good for a minute but after that the compressor kicks in and viabrations start. Will keep in mind the fan as well when I go to TASS. Thanks. How's your car doing?

^^^ I encounter the very same issue right from the start. Not only there is noise and vibration, the car is pretty sluggish for a few minutes before the car picks up speed and the thing cuts off. I am confused because

The big drop in power that is noticed means that it could very well be the compressor and the thing stops immediately if I switch off the A/C. However, one would expect the compressor to run even when the car is moving where we don't notice this problem.

Hence my theory (could be wrong and would love to hear from the experts here) that

1) It could be the second fan as when the car stops, the temp of the engine rises, thereby the second fan comes on and it stops when the car picks up speed as the air flow with vehicle movement should cool down. I have tried watching the temperature gauge and this thing always kicks on when the car temp reaches a certain mark. If my understanding is correct, the second fan does not always run until the engine temp reaches a certain point. The fan perhaps also switches off if the a/c is not running

or

2) At idle to low rpms, the engine is unable to take the compressor load and hence you feel the vibration. However if this is the case, the issue should exists when I start the car, switch the AC on, feel the cold air starts blowing in from the a/c vents (which means the compressor is running) but I don't encounter the motor running noise & vibrations until the temp raises to a certain limit in the temp gauge and the thing kicks in.

Would appreciate if some gurus here can help us understand whether this is the secondary fan motor or the compressor that kicks in causing the noise/ vibration and what could be done with it.

TASS said that it is a non issue in the first service but the SA sucked anyway. Taking the car to another TASS for the 5k service next week and will check with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sridhar K (Post 2315842)
I encounter the very same issue right from the start. Not only there is noise and vibration, the car is pretty sluggish for a few minutes before the car picks up speed and the thing cuts off. I am confused because

The big drop in power that is noticed means that it could very well be the compressor and the thing stops immediately if I switch off the A/C. However, one would expect the compressor to run even when the car is moving where we don't notice this problem.

Hence my theory (could be wrong and would love to hear from the experts here) that

1) It could be the second fan as when the car stops, the temp of the engine rises, thereby the second fan comes on and it stops when the car picks up speed as the air flow with vehicle movement should cool down. I have tried watching the temperature gauge and this thing always kicks on when the car temp reaches a certain mark. If my understanding is correct, the second fan does not always run until the engine temp reaches a certain point. The fan perhaps also switches off if the a/c is not running

or

2) At idle to low rpms, the engine is unable to take the compressor load and hence you feel the vibration. However if this is the case, the issue should exists when I start the car, switch the AC on, feel the cold air starts blowing in from the a/c vents (which means the compressor is running) but I don't encounter the motor running noise & vibrations until the temp raises to a certain limit in the temp gauge and the thing kicks in.

Would appreciate if some gurus here can help us understand whether this is the secondary fan motor or the compressor that kicks in causing the noise/ vibration and what could be done with it.

TASS said that it is a non issue in the first service but the SA sucked anyway. Taking the car to another TASS for the 5k service next week and will check with them.

Sridhar - I think we are facing the same thing. Power goes down and noise/ viabrations start. I don't think it's second fan but let's see. Please let me know what you find out.