Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 21:20   #61
BHPian

Allright guys I guess it upto diyguy to realize the pros and cons and make a wise decision.
Pavan won't be getting any commision from Tata motors if Diyguy purchases a safari and similarly raj won't get the same from Innova. they just wrote down their experiences to help diyguy.

So lets stop arguing and let diyguy to make a decision.Else this thread is going to run into pages and diyguy would be confused further.

I have seen lemons in reputed brands too.Decide on what your heart+mind combo says, do a thorough PDI and get your SUV home.Be it a safari or be it a innova.

But if this helps then let me tell you that I just took my safari off the classifieds and it feels great not to let her go.Got the money from somewhere else.

All the best for whichever SUV you purchase.Make a wise as well as passionate decision.Go reclaim your life.
Old 15th September 2010, 22:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
How can someone be so erratic in their reply.

How do you call it pure luck, on what basis........?

Can i put it this way, similar to the Safari issues, we have 4 MAJOR issues by T-BHP Scorpio members , do we guys go there and create a havoc.... NO.

One guy has an issue here with his Safari and it becomes a National issue.

Product bashing starts at the drop of a hat, when the word Safari surfaces on the forum.

We have a limited 100+ Scorpio owners on T-BHP.

Do you think the 250+ Safari owners are fools, lets get real.

This thread is going nowhere, and i am out of here for good.
First of all, learn to chill mate.

Just the way you penned down your opinion few posts back, i wrote mine. so there is absolutely no need to get hyper about it or call it erratic. And especially in your case, i have noticed this happens everytime safari comes into picture. you simply would not bear criticism.

i actually refrained from posting this before but i have to say- quite honestly, some of the last few posts have amused me a lot. when somebody is asking for a honest review on a car's reliability, instead of posting facts & ownership experiences, some are simply bragging about its exclusivity, feel & what not! can this be used as an excuse to hide the fact that the safari is more prone to issues?

Pavan, i can very well call it luck because i have been unlucky, not once but twice & its my money that went down the drain. so if somebody is asking for a honest review, lets give him that instead of beating around the bush. isnt that what T-BHP is all about?

and why are you even comparing the safari to a scorpio? is the scorpio a benchmark? compare it to the innova! you have counted 4 members who have had issues with scorpios. count the members who have had issues with innova instead. and do you want me to count the members who have had issues with safari? i guess no, again.

we have a limited 100 scorpio owners in this forum & 250 safari owners as you say. is this forum the real world? check the statistics & you will realize the scorpio & innova sells thrice as much as the safari. are they fools?

Overall, i would end this debate. I dint mean to bash the safari or tata for that matter, nor do i intend to. if i have had bad experiences with the safari, its but of course, i would ask a prospective buyer to be careful & thats all i said. I never bashed the safari as such or dint suggest "diyguy" to stay away from the product as even i understand that every individual has his own liking & preferences in his car. you need to accept that pavan sir.
Old 15th September 2010, 23:08   #63
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is if you want reliable hassle free motoring, look elsewhere. The Innova is a far better package and well worth the money and is a perfect logical upgrade from the Qualis.

The Safari will have some niggling issue or the other. Mostly small things but irritating nonetheless. But one respite, if the issue is big then atleast you have a good warranty to fall back on. Service isn't great either and not many people are lucky enough to have some knowledgeable advisors to service their Safaris. In fact sometimes they mess the car up at the service station which is why I don't tend to every little thing. I've been relatively lucky with mine, but many aren't.

The Mahindra Scorpio is better at reliability but even that has its share of niggles. Like I said if you want hassle free look no further than the Innova.

I had all these options when I bought my 3.0-litre, but like someone said it is a decision of the heart and not the mind.

All in all lemon ratio of the Safari is the highest, with the Scorpio coming in second and the Innova a distant third.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 15th September 2010 at 23:09.
Old 16th September 2010, 00:21   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Can you resist this black beauty
Awesome. I have a black Swift Zxi, will post the pics sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I would strongly ask you to think properly and atleast do a proper & thorough PDI before you take the delivery of your safari, if you are buying one. All the heart & soul thingy vanishes in thin air when your beloved vehicle spends more time with the A.S.S guys than with you.
You know I didnt know what PDI is till I read it here. I did not do any PDI for my Qualis or the Swift. Walked into the showroom, did the pooja and drove out. Very ignorant!

Quote:
Product bashing starts at the drop of a hat, when the word Safari surfaces on the forum.
Pavan, I understand your passion for the Safari. I am currently going through page 60 of your thread on the Photos and am quite enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
But if this helps then let me tell you that I just took my safari off the classifieds and it feels great not to let her go.Got the money from somewhere else.
Man, did I miss out on a good deal here

Quote:
i would ask a prospective buyer to be careful & thats all i said. I never bashed the safari as such or dint suggest "diyguy" to stay away from the product as even i understand that every individual has his own liking & preferences in his car. you need to accept that pavan sir.
Thank you Raj for your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
All I can say is if you want reliable hassle free motoring, look elsewhere. The Innova is a far better package and well worth the money and is a perfect logical upgrade from the Qualis.
Drifter, There is no doubting the reliability of the Innova, but somehow it does not give me a thrill, you know what I mean? It does not excite me. The fortuner is another story, but I cannot afford it
I have been contemplating a Safari for about 10 months now. Had a bereavement in the family, which threw me off track for sometime. But I am back to considering a new car. Which is why I got back to this site to do some research!
Old 16th September 2010, 05:54   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we have a limited 100 scorpio owners in this forum & 250 safari owners as you say. is this forum the real world? check the statistics & you will realize the scorpio & innova sells thrice as much as the safari. are they fools?
Raj, no they are not fools, infact nobody is a fool as everybody has freedom to make their choices, right or wrong.

And thats called "Exclusivity" of Safari, my friend and Tata is happy selling in those numbers.

Once i asked my gf before i bought my Safari, she told me Innova is a taxi and scorpio has a image that only certain kind of people drive and Safari is king on the road.

wait before you jump on any conclusion, that was her opinion but i still bought Safari cos Raj mere bhai, most of people buy cars in india for heart not with mind.

And @Diyguy, Safari is a great vehicle at the cost we pay for it, otherwise we would pay 20 Lacs and buy a Pajero

I dont know why i had this feeling when you started this thread that this will eventually become another Safari Vs Scorpio thread so guys lets not make it one.

cheers
Old 16th September 2010, 08:31   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
I dont know why i had this feeling when you started this thread that this will eventually become another Safari Vs Scorpio thread so guys lets not make it one.
cheers
No offence to anyone but Scorpio is not in the remotest corner of my mind. Neither is the Xylo or any other Mahindra offering...
Old 16th September 2010, 08:56   #67
BANNED

Quote:
How can someone be so erratic in their reply.

How do you call it pure luck, on what basis........?
On the basis of the fact that many Safari owners, on this very thread have agreed to it in writing.

Quote:
We have a limited 100+ Scorpio owners on T-BHP.

Do you think the 250+ Safari owners are fools, lets get real.

This thread is going nowhere, and i am out of here for good.

Please look at the market Pavan, and see the numbers on the roads for yourself. See Safari's resale, its sales figures and the product development life cycle and compare it to its rivals.

I never recommended diyguy a Scorpio since it was not in his shortlist at all.
I m surprised to see your short sighted views constricted only to the Safaris on TBHP.

That is all I can say.

Quote:
And thats called "Exclusivity" of Safari, my friend and Tata is happy selling in those numbers.
OMG, this is hilarious to say the least. A Co is happy in not being able to sell in equal numbers to its competition. ROFLTMAO or whatever that is...

Last edited by n.devdath : 16th September 2010 at 09:00.
Old 16th September 2010, 08:59   #68
BHPian

I tend to agree with Raj.
No doubt, nothing on the Indian roads can beat the character and presence of the Safari. Its a mile muncher and probably the most comfortable one at that. I feel its more or less like owning the good old bullet some years back. Every one needs one when they see it on the road, but only a few take the plunge. Tata's QC issues and the service is what one needs to be wary of.
Tata folks have messed up their reputation very badly. There is a thread on an Sumo Victa owner fighting for justice in Bangalore. The resale value is another shocker.
I too wanted a TCIC Safari badly sometime back. The same reasons discussed in this thread made me sit back. But then, every time a Safari passes by, I tend to ignore the -ves and go for it. Afterall, we are here on tbhp for the love for machines.

Last edited by jeeva : 16th September 2010 at 09:01.
Old 16th September 2010, 09:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

This is going nowhere. I feel we ourselves should put an end to this before the Mods have to intervene. Frankly, i just feel everybody has a right to one's opinion & nobody else should contradict it just because he is passionate about that vehicle, unless of course, he has some valid points to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You know I didnt know what PDI is till I read it here. I did not do any PDI for my Qualis or the Swift. Walked into the showroom, did the pooja and drove out. Very ignorant!
that is what toyota & maruti is all about! Bliss!

Not so with tata. insist on a proper PDI, select the car of your choice before registration.

Quote:
Drifter, There is no doubting the reliability of the Innova, but somehow it does not give me a thrill, you know what I mean? It does not excite me.
Same here buddy. The innova is too boring too drive. Feels nowhere as peppy as the safari or scorpio.

Quote:
I have been contemplating a Safari for about 10 months now. Had a bereavement in the family, which threw me off track for sometime. But I am back to considering a new car. Which is why I got back to this site to do some research!
Since the safari is like your dream car now, you should forget all apprehensions & definitely get one for yourself.

Quote:
Really? I guess every manufacturer wants their car to be the segment leader.

Quote:
wait before you jump on any conclusion, that was her opinion but i still bought Safari cos Raj mere bhai, most of people buy cars in india for heart not with mind.
I understand all this. this is why i never recommended diyguy to choose some other car. i could see he wanted a safari & only a safari, so i just asked him to do a proper PDI. i was kind of infuriated my Pavan sir's comment on me though. being passionate is good but being blind folded by passion is not, IMHO.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th September 2010 at 09:22.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

Well whenever any Safari thread comes up, most number of post done by Scorpio owners, not by Safari owners. It is not true in the case of Scorpio thread. This thread is living example. Later it turned to be Safari versus Scorpio bashing thread, after which thread title and subject completely lost.

My view, Safari is vehicle for passionate persons, for passion you have to loose something or live up with something (Niggles, little unreliability).

Sometimes Over Knowledge also give you restless nights (false unreliability feel, that propagate to others as well) as you want your car to be as Perfect as F1 car even after 5 - 7 years. Over Knowledgeable person interpret simple problem many ways (Too much analysis also complicates simple issue to bigger issue). If you hear some sound from door, you become very restless until you visit after sales service and get it rectified up to your satisfaction.

PS: Above BOLD statement is true for any car owners.

As far as I know Safari of my close friends/relatives (almost 7-8) (No TBHP Data) nobody faced any reliability/breakdown issue once in the lifetime.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:26   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Good decision diyguy.
And yes, the Safari has always had pathetic re sale values in the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post

2. Your resale value will tank
Why is everyone harping on resale? It's not that bad. I bought a 3.0 Dicor four years ago (base version 4x2 for 6.5lakhs onroad) and used her for 2 years and 45,000kms and sold her for ~5,80,000/- I think that's a fantastic resale value. And she got sold in 4 days of posting the advert!

Quote:

250 T-BHP Safari owners
Quote:

But, i can list out 200+ Bhp'ians with Happy Safari's
Pavan no offense to you, but i must have read this statistic quoted by you now atleast 100 times on various threads. I think every member get's your point. Let it go!

Anyways, coming back to the topic. No one has asked diyguy what his primary usage would be? If you are looking at being driven around and primarily in the city, i would suggest the Innova. However, if you are looking at highway cruising and self driving, nothing to beat the Safari. For bad roads, Safari is leagues ahead of Innova for sure.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 16th September 2010 at 11:28. Reason: typos
Old 16th September 2010, 11:46   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Why is everyone harping on resale? It's not that bad.
Based on my analysis of two weekends of Sunday classifieds - owner quoted prices on Safaris / Scorpios/ Innova on 2008 or later models.

Ofcourse, depreciation is less on older models.

Resale logic says - retain the vehicle for more than 4 years. Inspite of all this, I have booked.

Last edited by druva : 16th September 2010 at 11:54.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Pavan no offense to you, but i must have read this statistic quoted by you now atleast 100 times on various threads. I think every member get's your point. Let it go!
Tejas, I agree with you. Reliability data should not be taken from Team-BHP, then in other case Unreliability data also not to be taken from Team-BHP. Pavan's intention only to show reliability data (as some members pointing out unreliability data consistently).

But here case is different, people takes by heart unreliability data from Team-BHP at the same time people does not accept reliability data.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:15   #74
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod : Thread closed. Enough inputs and arguments have been given for the OP to make an informed decision
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks