Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 11:54   #1
Team-BHP Support

Daylight robbery by Hyundai: Santro drive axle costs 22.5K!!!

Since a month, my Santro AT has been making kat-kat sound whenever I turn the steering fully to one side and move forward.

Most of the time, I turn like that (full lock) only to the right. I felt the sound as if it is coming from the right.

Today I took it to Trident Hyundai (kalyan nagar) for service. After hearing the problem, the SA raised the Snatro to look under it. The left side CV joint boot was torn. That means the grease has leaked out over time and CV joint must have been grinding whenever I turn fully. It happens even when turning left.

This is what happened: http://cars.cartalk.com/content/advi...axleboots.html

The SA said drive shaft has gone weak, and it needs to be replaced. The part cost is 22450, including oil seal and labour, it will be 24,500 bucks.

Since I was staring at the CV joint, I assumed he was talking about drive axle + CV joint combo. They didn't have it in Bangalore, so they are ordering one from Chennai. I paid 15K advance for ordering the part and returned home with the car. I'll give it for service once the part arrives.

Later Jaggu told me that drive axle should only cost 2K. Now I am confused. The SA kept referring to it as left drive shaft or left axle. In fact he placed the order that way. He never mentioned CV joint.

I tried calling the SA later, but I couldn't reach him.

When Hyundai refers to Santro axle, do they mean just axle or even CV joint? The price tag indicates CV joint, even the problem area indicates CV joint.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th January 2011 at 12:00.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Daylight robbery by Hyundai: Santro drive axle costs 22.5K!!!

Samurai i think the drive shaft which includes axle and cv joints are different for AT and MT cars and hence the higher price.

If the sound is coming from both sides then, you might want to check both the shafts. Its funny that these things are not attended to during regular service. If they do a check of the drive shaft boot and catch the leaks early, it will be a small repair with couple of hundreds!
Old 10th January 2011, 12:28   #3
BHPian

If this particular drive shaft really costs 22 K then why not try getting it reconditioned?

Did you explore that option?
Old 10th January 2011, 12:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If the sound is coming from both sides then, you might want to check both the shafts. Its funny that these things are not attended to during regular service. If they do a check of the drive shaft boot and catch the leaks early, it will be a small repair with couple of hundreds!
I'll ask them to check the other boot too when I give the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
If this particular drive shaft really costs 22 K then why not try getting it reconditioned?

Did you explore that option?
This is a 2003 model car, and this is the first repair that crossed 10K. I prefer to put new parts than reconditioned old parts even in my ancient Jeep.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:46   #5
BHPian

^^
I think what he meant was if it could be 'fixed' instead of replaced.

Btw - do you have a snap of what you are talking about here ?
Which area did the grease leak out from and where is the left side CV joint boot that looks torn - how does it look now in damaged state ?

I want to check it out in my Santro as well.

Edit:
Saw the link you posted and got some info.
Thanks.
Anything specific to the Santro CV damage in form of pics would be appreciated.

Last edited by jigbarai : 10th January 2011 at 12:49.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a 2003 model car, and this is the first repair that crossed 10K. I prefer to put new parts than reconditioned old parts even in my ancient Jeep.
100% right approach. Do not venture into repair business. I have tried it and it wont last long. Worst part if not done properly it can snap, leaving you stranded. Totally not worth it if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
I want to check it out in my Santro as well.
You saw the picture in the link posted above by samurai? Boot will be similar. One each at both end of the drive shafts. First visually check for any wetness on it, which means there is a small cut or misaligned fitting. Then check all round the surface of the boot, by rotating the tyres, and ensure that there are no cuts or the rubber is cracking up due to age etc.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

I did take a photo with my iPhone, but it is not very good. Here goes:

Daylight robbery by Hyundai: Santro drive axle costs 22.5K!!!-img_0076.jpg
Old 10th January 2011, 12:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

Oh darn, that is a tata bye bye case. Should have been running like this for a while. How much has the car done so far?
Old 10th January 2011, 13:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

About 33K in 7.5 years. It is a low mileage vehicle, considering I have other vehicles for all the long distance drives. The sound only started a month back.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Clearly this is a case warranting a CV joint (driveshaft) replacement only because the torn axle boot was not noticed in time, else this was a 250 rupee job. Very difficult to notice such things unless you periodically put it on a ramp and inspect it. If you had gone to a service centre recently, they should have noticed it though.

Last edited by longhorn : 10th January 2011 at 13:43.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Surprising your A.S.S has not noticed this and replaced the boot. That could have saved you big bucks. I replaced the right drive shaft in my esteem last month for 2k. Why is santro's so prohibitively expensive ?
Old 10th January 2011, 15:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Clearly this is a case warranting a CV joint (driveshaft) replacement only because the torn axle boot was not noticed in time, else this was a 250 rupee job. Very difficult to notice such things unless you periodically put it on a ramp and inspect it. If you had gone to a service centre recently, they should have noticed it though.
I agree, recently even I too had a torn boot of the drive shaft.
I replaced the torn boot immediately with a new boot costing 200Rs.
After 500kms or so drive shaft started making mild noise, later on the KAT.. KAT sound started whenever I turn the wheels.

Enquired in Whitefield Honda, price quoted was 9.5K for driveshaft replacement. Went to JC Road, got the OEM driveshaft for half the price quoted in Whitefield Honda, replaced it(price is including labour).
Now it's running pretty fine without any issues.
I could have just replaced the outerbells, but can't take risk with driveshaft, so had to replace the set fully.

@Samurai,
The price quoted is too much for Santro Driveshafts. I suggest you get the OEM driveshafts from a good shop and get it replaced with a competent garage

Off late Hyundai have been charging pretty heavily for the driveshafts, pls check this below thread for the same
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...t-problem.html
Old 10th January 2011, 16:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I'll ask them to check the other boot too when I give the vehicle.

I agree, but it never hurts to try out options. New CV joints of decent quality are available for maruti's (just the joint and not the whole driveshaft). Do check for your Santro AT.

I changed like three OEM driveshafts on my Maruti during 15000 km in my 4 years at Manipal - the roads!

The "desi" replacement (4th repair) - is still working fine for the last 5 years in Bangalore. Touch wood.
Old 10th January 2011, 16:58   #14
Team-BHP Support

The SA called later and confirmed it is the full set including CV joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If you had gone to a service centre recently, they should have noticed it though.
It was last serviced in June. This must have happened after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Surprising your A.S.S has not noticed this and replaced the boot. That could have saved you big bucks. I replaced the right drive shaft in my esteem last month for 2k. Why is santro's so prohibitively expensive ?
Last serviced in June, sound started in December. I doubt they could have seen it in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Enquired in Whitefield Honda, price quoted was 9.5K for driveshaft replacement. Went to JC Road, got the OEM driveshaft for half the price quoted in Whitefield Honda, replaced it(price is including labour).
Now it's running pretty fine without any issues.

@Samurai,
The price quoted is too much for Santro Driveshafts. I suggest you get the OEM driveshafts from a good shop and get it replaced with a competent garage
Did you replace the CV joint too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
I changed like three OEM driveshafts on my Maruti during 15000 km in my 4 years at Manipal - the roads!
My Santro survived 4.5 years and 20K in Manipal, and 3 years and 12k in Bangalore with the original drive shaft.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharath, I'd suggest you find out first if the front axles on the A/T and M/T are identical or not, as Jaggu mentioned earlier. If they are, the price you've been quoted is astronomical. If they are not, you can have the CV joints refurbished ten times over for that price, including freight charges if you send them over to Delhi to let my guy do the job! I'm sure there are good places in B'lore which will do the refurbishment for @1500-2000 INR per CV joint. And trust me, refurbished joints, if done well, last and perform as well as originals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks