Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 22:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Increasing the Ground Clearance

Guys we have an Anhc.Due to the car's extremely low ground clearance the car hits each and every speed breaker here in Calcutta.I'm looking out for improving it without upsizing to 16s.

Are there any ways by which I'll be able to improve it.

Need Urgent help.

Thanks for your reply in advance.
Take Car & Drive Safe.
Rohin.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Increasing the Ground Clearance

You can make the suspension a tad bit stiffer. GTO recently did it for his City.

But remember increasing the GC is a double edged sword. You will have to make some sacrifices on the Handling department. Also warranty void issues might also creep up.

The easy way out is to change your driving style. Take it easy over speed bumps. The way Bangalore guys are managing.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2011, 23:14   #3
BANNED

add spacer for all the suspensions, you can get it readymade, but as download2live have said, you must compromise on ride quality, my lance has also got same problem of low GC, but i dont want to alter with spacer. though i will hit most bumps if there are four passengers.
Old 6th April 2011, 00:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check GTO's latest thread here (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?). Pretty neat job and doesn't require to dismantle the existing suspension setup. Do stay away from spacers and they only spoil the handling of the car.

I would say up-size the wheels to 15 inchers if you have the budget and then go in for GTO's mod.
Old 6th April 2011, 01:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
You can make the suspension a tad bit stiffer. GTO recently did it for his City.

But remember increasing the GC is a double edged sword. You will have to make some sacrifices on the Handling department. Also warranty void issues might also creep up.

The easy way out is to change your driving style. Take it easy over speed bumps. The way Bangalore guys are managing.
Any option of changing the suspension.Warranty voided is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
add spacer for all the suspensions, you can get it readymade, but as download2live have said, you must compromise on ride quality, my lance has also got same problem of low GC, but i dont want to alter with spacer. though i will hit most bumps if there are four passengers.
Lets see,options are avaible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Check GTO's latest thread here (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?). Pretty neat job and doesn't require to dismantle the existing suspension setup. Do stay away from spacers and they only spoil the handling of the car.

I would say up-size the wheels to 15 inchers if you have the budget and then go in for GTO's mod.
The car already has OEM 15s.Will be upgrading to 16s in 4-5 months.Are those coil dampeners easily available?

How much does the TEIN Suspension kit cost?
Old 6th April 2011, 12:23   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Before increasing ground clearance, it is important to note WHY your car is scraping over speed breakers.

a) Does it scrape even without passengers onboard?

OR

b) Does it only when carrying load?

For instance, my Civic primarily scrapes only when loaded with 4 passengers and luggage. However, I didn't have a problem with clearance as much as I did with the rear suspension bottoming out (two different things).

Here are the different ways to solve your problem:

- Highly recommended if you have the budget : Get a stiffer / firmer suspension set up. Decide whether you want it at the front only, back only or at both ends. Bolt on kits are available for most cars sold by foreign manufacturers in India.

- Increase your tyre profile or diameter. Note : I don't really recommend this, and prefer to maintain the stock circumference even after upsizing alloys. Increasing the circumference can make your tyres scrape against the wheel arches, make your speedometer inaccurate etc.

- Consider innovative solutions : Link. This is still not tested in the longer term though, and the thread itself has mixed opinion.

- Highly recommended. Modify your approach angle to speed breakers : Link to full thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
But remember increasing the GC is a double edged sword.
Remember, the car sitting at its normal level with load, is better & safer than the suspension bottoming out with load. I have not made my car sit higher; only brought the rear at level with the front and prevented it from sagging / dropping.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2011 at 12:38.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2011, 16:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Guys we have an Anhc.Due to the car's extremely low ground clearance the car hits each and every speed breaker here in Calcutta.I'm looking out for improving it without upsizing to 16s.

Are there any ways by which I'll be able to improve it.

Need Urgent help.

Thanks for your reply in advance.
Take Car & Drive Safe.
Rohin.
I have driven the City in Gurgaon, notorious for the craters on the road and in Bangalore, notorious for the generous speed breakers.

The belly scrapes alrighty but only when you approach the breaker/ditch wrong i.e. either too fast, at a wrong angle or you keep braking even while on the speed breaker.

Just could just get the art of braking on speedbreakers right and the problem will be solved. Why make it difficult?
Old 6th April 2011, 20:15   #8
BHPian

As GTO said, checking the reason for scraping is really important to understand. I only scrape when it's fully loaded and the hump is real bad else never, you need to be pretty slow.

I hear most of the time it's the mud flap which takes the hit in my case. If I hear it hitting the humps even when Iam alone I allways get the pressure checked and most of the time it was due to low pressure in the tyres.

I agree with libran, learn the art of driving over the humps before you take a next step.

There are couple of owners who did upsize the stock and the hit is directly on the handling and FE
Old 6th April 2011, 22:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Before increasing ground clearance, it is important to note WHY your car is scraping over speed breakers.

a) Does it scrape even without passengers onboard?

OR

b) Does it only when carrying load?

For instance, my Civic primarily scrapes only when loaded with 4 passengers and luggage. However, I didn't have a problem with clearance as much as I did with the rear suspension bottoming out (two different things).

Here are the different ways to solve your problem:

- Highly recommended if you have the budget : Get a stiffer / firmer suspension set up. Decide whether you want it at the front only, back only or at both ends. Bolt on kits are available for most cars sold by foreign manufacturers in India.

- Increase your tyre profile or diameter. Note : I don't really recommend this, and prefer to maintain the stock circumference even after upsizing alloys. Increasing the circumference can make your tyres scrape against the wheel arches, make your speedometer inaccurate etc.

- Consider innovative solutions : Link. This is still not tested in the longer term though, and the thread itself has mixed opinion.

- Highly recommended. Modify your approach angle to speed breakers : Link to full thread

Remember, the car sitting at its normal level with load, is better & safer than the suspension bottoming out with load. I have not made my car sit higher; only brought the rear at level with the front and prevented it from sagging / dropping.
The car scraps over most of the bumpers,no matter what speed,angle my Chacha uses.The problem is in his car.I use to have the same problem with my car,but on removing the Mudgaurds it helped.

1st Option- To get the coil over adjusters.
Where are they available?

2nd Option- Upsizing to 16s

3rd Option- Getting Firmer Suspension
Eg- Tein.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I have driven the City in Gurgaon, notorious for the craters on the road and in Bangalore, notorious for the generous speed breakers.

The belly scrapes alrighty but only when you approach the breaker/ditch wrong i.e. either too fast, at a wrong angle or you keep braking even while on the speed breaker.

Just could just get the art of braking on speedbreakers right and the problem will be solved. Why make it difficult?
Even Angles are of no help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
As GTO said, checking the reason for scraping is really important to understand. I only scrape when it's fully loaded and the hump is real bad else never, you need to be pretty slow.

I hear most of the time it's the mud flap which takes the hit in my case. If I hear it hitting the humps even when Iam alone I allways get the pressure checked and most of the time it was due to low pressure in the tyres.

I agree with libran, learn the art of driving over the humps before you take a next step.

There are couple of owners who did upsize the stock and the hit is directly on the handling and FE
FE not an issue.
Old 6th April 2011, 23:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

The easiest and cheapest way is to learn the tricks (like never break while on speed breaker) to avoid scraping the underbelly. Not only ANHC, many other cars suffer from this problem. I have driven my car (With load) across Haryana and hardly scrapped under-body . GTO suggestions are best and you can consider them.

Last edited by bluevolt : 6th April 2011 at 23:17.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

So guys I have overcome this problem finally when I upgraded the car's rubber to 195/60/R15.This upsize is really helping and the car is no more scrapping on Speed Breakers.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 20:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
So guys I have overcome this problem finally when I upgraded the car's rubber to 195/60/R15.This upsize is really helping and the car is no more scrapping on Speed Breakers.
Does this have any impact on the warranty. I have been getting a mixed response from other users. Some say if the height (15") is not altered, only changing the profile (from 175/65 to 195/60) does not impact warranty. Some say any changes are not acceptable by Honda for warranty purposes. Probably this varies by dealer.

Can you please share your experience related to warranty with the tyre change.
Old 19th March 2012, 20:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nope not at all.
Well the people at Pinnacle Honda treat me really well so voiding the Warranty just with a Tyre Upsize is something they wont do.

Go ahead and upsize your rubber to 195/60 eyes closed.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 20:20   #14
BHPian

Guys, can the increased ground clearance on the 2012 ANHC be incorporated in the older lot? Is something akin to the suspension upgrade of the Punto available for the ANHC too?
Old 19th March 2012, 20:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

As per my understanding, Honda cars have a decent GC. It is the soft suspension that causes the bottom scraping issue. The solution should be to address this than to simply raise the car which may affect its handling and dynamics badly. Of course this will be a trade-off with ride comfort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks