Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 17:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Figo EXi - 5.32L OTR
The figo Zxi cost 5.6L OTR
Figo titanium cost 5.94L OTR (All rates in kerala)
Extra on the titanium is ABS, EBD, Airbags, 6 speed intermittent wiper. EOL
If I am not wrong, all these are 1.4 duratorq's price?

Quote:
Thanks fordmanchau.
I got 4 alloys. the stepney is steel rim
And yes spot on!! They are genuine ford alloys. I got the vinyl seats, fog lamps and the alloys for 20k. Its called the Titanium club pack.
The vinyl seats are nothing much to talk about. They are ok. I prefer the original to this. Vinyl seats (and that too black)gets very hot when parked out in the sun.
okay, thanks for clarifying. When I bought my Ikon 2.5 years back, my SA advised me against buying the seat covers from Ford. As good ones were very costly and cheaper vinyl one's were pathetic. He himself advised me to get seat covers from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
No wonder the Figo has the VFM tag. And 30k for ABS, Airbags and EBD is damn impressive. Um.. If I may ask, why didn't you opt for the Titanium?
Again, a superb VFM pack.
Yeah same question, if you paid 20K extra , why didn't you opt for Titanium at the onset?
Old 30th May 2011, 17:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
No wonder the Figo has the VFM tag. And 30k for ABS, Airbags and EBD is damn impressive. Um.. If I may ask, why didn't you opt for the Titanium?

Again, a superb VFM pack. IIRC, my cousin swapped the steel rims to OEM alloys on his Fiesta for ~20k.

I did not opt for titanium because I would still have to spend another 20K for the alloys and the fog lamps. or atleast 15k for the alloys.
So it is not actually 30K but 50 K extra for me if i had bought the titanium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Congrats for the new car. What's the mileage you are getting?

The title reminds me of a famous comedy dialogue from a Malayalam film - 'the idea is good, but leg is mine'.
Thanks romeomidhun. I am getting between 18(city)-22kmpl(highway) now.
Yes but I am not able to remember which movie. Anyways I am a great fan of malayalam comedy of yester years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
If I am not wrong, all these are 1.4 duratorq's price?

okay, thanks for clarifying. When I bought my Ikon 2.5 years back, my SA advised me against buying the seat covers from Ford. As good ones were very costly and cheaper vinyl one's were pathetic. He himself advised me to get seat covers from outside.

Yeah same question, if you paid 20K extra , why didn't you opt for Titanium at the onset?
Yes they are duratorq's price. Petrol was not in my consideration set

I did not want the seat covers I love the stock seats but then it came as a titanium package(labor free) and if I had bought them separately it would have cost be (15K + 4.5K + labor). So the seat covers actually came free.

I did not opt for titanium because then I would have to spend another 20K for the alloys and the fog lamps.
Old 5th June 2011, 23:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I did not opt for titanium because I would still have to spend another 20K for the alloys and the fog lamps. or atleast 15k for the alloys.
So it is not actually 30K but 50 K extra for me if i had bought the titanium.

Yes they are duratorq's price. Petrol was not in my consideration set

I did not want the seat covers I love the stock seats but then it came as a titanium package(labor free) and if I had bought them separately it would have cost be (15K + 4.5K + labor). So the seat covers actually came free.

I did not opt for titanium because then I would have to spend another 20K for the alloys and the fog lamps.
Hi, All the above were exactly my thoughts while trying to decide on the Figo variant. Guess all Mallus think alike!?

Skipped the seat cover though.
Old 5th June 2011, 23:46   #19
BHPian

I guess you made good use of your cash. The car looks really good in that shade. Awesome alloys add to its beauty. Congratulations on your red angel.

Some interior pictures please!
Old 6th June 2011, 08:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would have thought safety is paramount compared to alloys. Anyway, to each its own. Atleast you chose a Ford. So, happy driving
Old 6th June 2011, 09:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I guess you made good use of your cash. The car looks really good in that shade. Awesome alloys add to its beauty. Congratulations on your red angel.

Some interior pictures please!
Thanks joe1980. Will post some pics soon. And yes it is absolute VFM car. Some people say Figo feels is just a car I say I feel like I have a partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I would have thought safety is paramount compared to alloys. Anyway, to each its own. Atleast you chose a Ford. So, happy driving
Yes vb-san - Safety is a concern but i can tell you ABS might not be effective for me as I pump my brakes even in normal braking. It has almost become a habit. If I were to do it with ABS it would not have been half as effective. And since I like pumping my brakes I like a brake pedal with a little play (one thing Fiat lacked and swift/Indica had in plenty).
The way of braking for ABS is press hard on the brakes and steer away from the obstacle and otherwise just press hard on the pedal.

As for airbags I am not a fan of theirs. In fact there is a patented method of executing people by blowing airbags under their face.
Yes they are no doubt they are effective in a collision but weighing my driving habits and the costs I thought I should go for Zxi(w.o ABS and Airbags) and stress while you read costs
Old 6th June 2011, 16:49   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes vb-san - Safety is a concern but i can tell you ABS might not be effective for me as I pump my brakes even in normal braking. It has almost become a habit. If I were to do it with ABS it would not have been half as effective. And since I like pumping my brakes I like a brake pedal with a little play (one thing Fiat lacked and swift/Indica had in plenty).
The way of braking for ABS is press hard on the brakes and steer away from the obstacle and otherwise just press hard on the pedal.
Figo mba, I'm sorry, but I guess your understanding about ABS is not entirely true. Even though you get a pulsating feeling on the pedal when ABS kicks in, pumping the pedal DOES NOT act like abs.

Simulating ABS manually for a driver requires HIGH expertise. You should be soo familiar with your car, you should be able to feel and hear your car, so that you should know when the tyres are locking up. Release the brakes a bit to release the lockup, and then again apply just enough pressure. This process required VERY high expertise, and you should be VERY familiar with your car.

Pumping the brakes just assures you have enough fluid pressure.

Quote:
.... but weighing my driving habits and the costs I thought I should go for Zxi(w.o ABS and Airbags) ....
I'm sorry, but how does driving habits compensate for Airbags?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 22:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Figo mba, I'm sorry, but I guess your understanding about ABS is not entirely true. Even though you get a pulsating feeling on the pedal when ABS kicks in, pumping the pedal DOES NOT act like abs.

Simulating ABS manually for a driver requires HIGH expertise. You should be soo familiar with your car, you should be able to feel and hear your car, so that you should know when the tyres are locking up. Release the brakes a bit to release the lockup, and then again apply just enough pressure. This process required VERY high expertise, and you should be VERY familiar with your car.

Pumping the brakes just assures you have enough fluid pressure.

I'm sorry, but how does driving habits compensate for Airbags?
Braking to the point of locking up and then releasing just enough to let the tires rolling and then again braking. This is the principle of ABS. What you have said is absolutely right.

In straight line braking, with uniform friction gradient the ABS action is similar (i am not saying same) to the pumping of brakes.
When you brake with one set of tires in slip area and other in good surface and another situation is when you hard brake around a turn the pumping might not be really similar to the ABS owing to different wheel speeds. I am not sure if I have conveyed my point.
Yes man cannot match the precision of the ABS system.

And As for knowing one's own vehicle I am sure if you listen to your ikon also you can easily make out when the tires are going to lockup.
I almost never get my wheels locked (with the use of a combo of braking + pumping of brakes + engine braking)

Driving habits. Oh sorry forgot to mention. I meant buckling up before driving and driving safe. Meaning Try to drive safe so that there is no need for airbags to deploy.

Now the argument is always what if all my efforts fails and you have a crash ? I can only counter question what if I have all the features and then crash ?

I guess we all do a cost benefit analysis on the back of our head. And my thoughts were as I mentioned. Yes there could be arguments but in the end its a choice we all make and then live with.

Having said all this, I have to say, there was a good amount of stress on the cost and taking all of this into consideration I went for Zxi.
figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 11:45   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, ABS or not, the car looks HOT!!
The alloys are surprising good looking considering they are OEM!

Congratulations!
Old 7th June 2011, 14:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Well, ABS or not, the car looks HOT!!
The alloys are surprising good looking considering they are OEM!

Congratulations!
Thanks Dry Ice.

These are good looking OEM alloys with VFM tag stuck all over it. Costs just 13.5K for a set of 4.

Some of the other good looking OEM alloys i have seen are
1. Fiat Punto on the emotion pK (forkets I do not know what to call them)
2. New VW Passat (assuming the ones in the ads are OEM)
3. VW Polo (simple yet elegant)
4. Mahindra Scorpio (alloy looking steel wheels; yeah there were alloys also)

I am sure there are others but these are my favorites.
Old 9th June 2011, 22:03   #26
BHPian

Just found out a potential pain point for Figo Owners and so I thought I should share a D.I.Y with you guys.

Figo's engine compartment is quite congested and so the AC compressor and the tubing are placed in the front on the right side (just by the side of the radiator). the duct actually goes backwards from the front(Marutis actually route this duct by the side of the firewall and not through the front side).

Now there is a rubber duct(connecting two aluminium pipes)) just behind the bumper (For fiesta this is all aluminium). This is un protected but normally does not rub against anything(means there is enough clearance).

In case of any hit to the bumper the bar behind the bumper might get dangerously close (or in contact) and then rub against the rubber hose(while car is in motion) and cause it to burst open one fine day. This would leak the refrigerant (gas) and render the wonderful AC useless.

So here I have used a thick plastic flexi pipe (sleeve) around the rubber tube to prevent it from happening. cut open the flexi-pipe (to make it a sleeve) and fastened it to the rubber hose with plastic cable ties(pic attached)
(cable ties are the ones that you get when you buy stuff from big bazaar )

The whole thing can be done for Rs 25. If the leak were to happen then it would cost around Rs 4K. Which way to go ? Choice is yours... Attaching few pics below.

1. Location of the above mentioned rubber duct
2. materials used
Attached Thumbnails
Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-64414_small.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-ct6.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-20110606-18.13.58.jpg  

Old 9th June 2011, 22:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Now what would happen to the water that is formed on this tube due to condensation?
Old 9th June 2011, 23:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Now what would happen to the water that is formed on this tube due to condensation?
This is a covering to the rubber hosing only and a means of preventing any scraping with metal parts. I am not sure if condensation happens on the rubber tube. The temperature around that area is high enough to prevent condensation.

And also free flowing air below it should take any vapor with it (assuming there will be any)

And yet if it happens still it might not be a problem because this is like a concentric pipe small quantities of vapour might remain in the corrugation but excess can always flow out.

We are only covering the rubber tube with this sleeve and providing protection against scraping. I hope that clarifies.
Old 12th June 2011, 16:48   #29
BHPian

A Crash with another automobile is an inevitable thing on todays roads. I too met with one (my second till date). I got hit from the front at (crawling speeds)
Lucky nothing serious happened. Just a bent bumper, fender and a broken fog lamp. Posting a few pics of that. :(
Attached Thumbnails
Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-8.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-9.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-10.jpg  

Old 12th June 2011, 17:11   #30
BHPian

Ouch! That's very unfortunate . Where and how did it happen? Did you show the car to workshop?

Regards,
Jose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks