Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2011, 02:28   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions

Despite news reports on the lauch of the Mahindra Scorpio EX variant with a reduced price tag, one could hardly find much information on the same on the net. All articles on the same were linked to the standard press report released by the company.

I made my way to the local Mahindra dealer, here in Bangalore to check out the vehicle which was proclaimed to return high FE figures, and was also priced much lower than the LX, which was till now the lowest BS !V complaint variant.

Initial Impressions :

Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions-img_0965.jpg

At first glance, the EX greatly resembles the LX variant, owing to the lack of body cladding, and the lack of wheelcaps and foglamps as standard.

Look again, and you also notice Mahindra has done away with the roof rails and also the rear spolier!

Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions-img_0976.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions-img_0975.jpg

What has been added are new badging announcing that this vehicle is powered by the M2DiCR (?!) engine. Those familar with Mahindra's naming conventions would decode the M2Di and CR from the same. In addition, there is also the Micro hybrid badging at the rear.

Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions-img_0973.jpg

Look inside and you notice the absence of central locking.

Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions-img_0972.jpg

If you were yet to tide over this, you soon notice the presence of window winders and empty space on the center console where the power window switches were usually present. Pretty soon, you also notice the missing fabric seat covers which were present on the LX.

Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions-img_0970.jpg

Look further, and those familar with Scorpios would notice the omission of the 12V socket for the rear seat passengers.

On the Road :

Name:  IMG_0969.jpg
Views: 42714
Size:  322.1 KB

With the ignition cranked, the noise intrusion into the cabin is not much, and neither are the vibrations. Despite this being powered by a tweaked Bolero engine, the NVH is pretty much on par with the 2.2's, which is a relief.

Slot the vehicle and get it on the road, and you are hard pressed to notice the difference in the lnitial gears, as compared to the 2.2 MHawk. Prod it some more, and you now notice the missing horses.

"Go on, take a hike! The junta is looking for mileage over power..." seems to have been the message to the missing horses.

Get on to the 4th gear, and where the MHawk literally flew, this one turns lethargic. Being offered a chance to try this on a highway, it was now pretty obvious that you were beginning to miss the forsaken BHPs.

With the speedo disconnected, i was unable to make out the speed i was cruising along, but beyond a certain stage, there didnt seem to be any increase in acceleration despite going full throttle. It seemed the engine was now quite content with what it had acheived, lumbering along at 2500 RPM on the tacho. This being a new vehicle, i wasnt too sure if the engine was being limited in any way, and so backed off.

Back to city speeds, the vehicle felt quite tractable, and had minimal lag. The company mentions the same in their releases, and one can only help agree with them. Mahindra also claims increased FE as compared to the 2.2s, and with the reduced power, it does seem quite possible. However, the 75BHP engine pulling the 2 tonner has had its effect on the top speed, and it wont be surprising to find smaller hatches racing past Scorpios on the highway henceforth.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th May 2011 at 04:06.
benbsb29 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 03:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions-copy-img_0968.jpg

The Good :
  • Road presence associated with a Scorpio.
  • Tempting new price tag (7.41 lakhs, ex-showroom Bangalore).
  • Micro hybrid earlier only offerred on the VLX now on the EX.
  • Greater claimed fuel efficiency.
  • Good driveability within the city.
  • Minimal lag.
  • Good all-round visibility.
  • TD vehicle was shod with Bridgestone tyres.
The Bad :
  • Cost cutting evident.
  • No basic features for convenience as standard, such as power windows, central locking.
  • Roof rails and spoiler omitted compared to the LX.
  • Steering adjustment omitted.
  • Clearly aimed at the taxi and people mover segment.
  • Lack of grunt on the highways.
  • Purely utilitarian interiors.
  • Horrible quality of glovebox lid - requires great expertise to shut it.
  • Messy looking engine bay.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th May 2011 at 04:08.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 03:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

My verdict :

For those looking at an entry level SUV, the Bolero was always the default option. Priced well, it enjoys great acceptance even today owing to the demand from the rural areas, and also those looking at a rugged vehicle to tackle city roads (or the lack of it!).

Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions-copy-img_0967.jpg

With the EX variant, Mahindra has managed to undercut the Safari's base version by close to INR 80k (ex-showroom, Bangalore). This brings value to those looking at a more modern platform over the Bolero, while also attempting to do its bit to keep Mahindra's cash registers ticking over that of its competitors.

Owing to the points mentioned above, the Scorpio EX presents a case for itself for the SUV experience, despite being stripped of features, some of which are considered as rather basic in today's world.

With a 40,000 INR price difference (ex-showroom) over the EX, the LX seems to be a better option for those with the budget looking to buy a Scorpio base variant. The LX comes with the 2.2 MHawk engine, power windows, roof rails, spolier etc, which are not present on the EX.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th May 2011 at 03:58.
benbsb29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 06:21   #4
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions

I think the price should be another 40-50k less, however if Mahindra do that, it'll kill the Bolera for sure.
Old 29th May 2011, 07:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

as stated earlier surely for the cab segment or for tight purse strings yet need to lay hands upon an 'SUV'.

Benbsb, thank you for the pictures makes me feel my mHawk is sure an luxury over this!
Old 29th May 2011, 08:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pics and an excellent review, benbsb29! Clearly, as your review suggests, the LX is much better value.
Old 29th May 2011, 10:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
.., there didnt seem to be any increase in acceleration despite going full throttle.
Are you sure you weren't pressing the brake pedal by mistake/had the handbrake on?!

On a more serious note, good review!

I am not a fan of these stripped-down, metal box-only variants. Manufacturers may feel having such a "variant" might cater to the taxi industry and increase its sales, but the end-result is a watering-down of that model's market-image, which will eventually result in reduction of personal owners of that model. (E.g. Sumo/Indica)

Last edited by theMAG : 29th May 2011 at 11:41.
Old 29th May 2011, 11:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Precise review. For me this version of Scorpio without roof rails and rear spoiler looks muscular and better than the current LX. I like Scorpio this way. (without any roof rails and spoiler) Probably in the movement of stripping the Scorpio they have unnoticeably made it look better.
Old 29th May 2011, 11:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting for someone to review this one. A very crisp review. Thanks a lot for that. It cleared up my mind if I should considering this over other variants.

I would stick to my initial option of VLX. One can not do away with the basic needs of central locking and power windows. After Market addition would take away the initial benefits of lesser cost.

@mods: I think there is a similar thread running. It's better if the two of them are merged.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 29th May 2011 at 12:05.
Old 29th May 2011, 12:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks benbsb29. As you mentioned, there was nothing in the news or internet except for the generic press release, and I wanted to know what exactly Mahindra had done (apart from the engine downgrade) to bring down the price.

Quote:
With the EX variant, Mahindra has managed to undercut the Safari's base version by close to INR 80k (ex-showroom, Bangalore).

Owing to the points mentioned above, the Scorpio EX presents a case for itself for the SUV experience, despite being stripped of features, some of which are considered as rather basic in today's world.
80k is a significant difference, but I think the Safari LX offers much more of the basic features that make buying a 9L (OTR) SUV seem worth it.

Quote:
With a 40,000 INR price difference (ex-showroom) over the EX, the LX seems to be a better option for those with the budget looking to buy a Scorpio base variant. The LX comes with the 2.2 MHawk engine, power windows, roof rails, spolier etc, which are not present on the EX.
A 40K difference is not significant, and someone intending to buy a Scorpio would (IMHO) feel that it is worth putting in that little bit more to get a significantly better engine, a better looking vehicle (not tiny looking wheels and a bare basic body), and a few creature comforts more. The image factor itself makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I think the price should be another 40-50k less, however if Mahindra do that, it'll kill the Bolera for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Thanks for the pics and an excellent review, benbsb29! Clearly, as your review suggests, the LX is much better value.
Great review, yes. And - the LX is much better value at not much more cost.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:02   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, and I thought my Jeep was slow! The Scorpio EX has an abysmal <40 BHP power / weight ratio. That's even worse than the Tata Nano! And this, without anyone on board. I shudder to think of the performance with driver + 6 passengers. Sorry, but for the personal customer, the Scorpio LX is well worth the difference. Even the entry-level Safari with nearly double the horsepower at only 80K more is far more VFM in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing this review & your summary post, Benny!

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2011 at 14:03.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 14:18   #12
Team-BHP Support

A little too basic. Maybe good as company cabs. I'll recommend this to my admin for a vfm car with good FE.

But as a personal car I don't think so. No features at all and looks like a very underpowered engine.

If you pay 40K more you get the mHawk as well as some basic features more. That's a better vfm actually.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:33   #13
BANNED

A sheep in wolf's clothing as they say is what this variant is. Also, unless there is a very significant difference in the FE figures, it will not be a hit with the cabbies as well.

Does it have an immobiliser? I do not think so and that makes it even more theft prone.

The Bolero will continue to rule the roost in this segment and with a new engine/variant coming up, this will only add to its sales now.

Messy engine bay, now that is bad. Any pics of the same?
Old 29th May 2011, 19:25   #14
BHPian

Hi Benny,
Nice and crisp review, I think this is pure "taxi" segment, not valuable for personal use. Presence of "Micro Hybrid" and absence of basic features like power windows, central locking is interesting! When M&M will know what customers want?

Also it is underpowered, with 5 passengers and payload this will be worse. I think LX still holds a better position because atleast we get 2.2 MHawk engine with power windows, central locking immobilizer etc.

Picture of engine bay is missing .
Scorpio Fan
Old 29th May 2011, 19:41   #15
AWD
BHPian

How's the long term reliability of M2Dicr engine?

Completely agree Power Windows & Central locking are a bare minimum these days.
Also Body colored bumpers are a must, otherwise the ones using for personal use risk being flagged at almost every check point, due to taxi image.

Guess the sales of Thar have taught Mahindra that there's a market for bare-bone vehicles too. Afterall you get what you want!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks