Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 09:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to bring home a dream: TATA SAFARI LX BS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
Its difficult to drive for women

Those men trying to convince your wives to go for the safari, let them sit the driver's seat for a change.
Completely in agreement here. My wife always wants a share of her wheels during our long drives and she is most comfortable driving this in the city as well.
Old 7th June 2011, 09:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Completely in agreement here. My wife always wants a share of her wheels during our long drives and she is most comfortable driving this in the city as well.
Hm, that sets me thinking. I've always believed Safari is difficult for women to drive. I thought so because of the size, the effort it takes to move her through traffic (clutch, gears, steering all need more effort than a hatch or sedan). And I am yet to see a lady driving a safari, whereas I've seen ladies driving other SUVs (many Scorpios, pajeros, jeeps, CRVs etc).

In Highways, I agree Safari is one of the easiest to drive, she just punters on smoothly without much effort required to keep her in control, but in thick city traffic, I have my doubts how easy it would be for a lady to move a Safari about.

Sorry to disagree, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Old 7th June 2011, 09:49   #33
BHPian

Hi,

Please educate me if Am wrong, Isn't the 4X4 offered only in Vx variant ? Please help me before its too late...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2378464

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 7th June 2011, 09:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your brilliant purchase. The car looks stunning from the outside. At 8.4L its quite a bargain too. I have booked a Fortuner and really had 2nd thoughts after seeing your vehicle (as I could buy 3 of these at the cost of 1 here... lolz; donno why Toyota has so overpriced it) but reminded myself of how satisfied I was with Toyota quality and decided to stick to my decision. But at 8.4L Tata's definitely have got the pricing spot on, though quality is a different issue altogether.

Enjoy it...
Old 7th June 2011, 09:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Sure. Let me also add to my previous post - not always does my wife drive in the city, but the few time she did, she was very comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi,

Please educate me if Am wrong, Isn't the 4X4 offered only in Vx variant ? Please help me before its too late...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2378464

Cheers,
Rajesh
That's my understanding too. I couldn't see which post you were referring to in the "I booked my car" thred.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
That's my understanding too. I couldn't see which post you were referring to in the "I booked my car" thred.
What I mean to tell was, that I have booked a Scorpio Sle which is due for delivery this week. But if I am getting Safari Lx 4x4 at 8.4L why not that ? sometime back the safari 4x4 was being offered only in Vx, but here simpleman is talking about the Lx. So Please let me know if 4x4 in Lx so that i can cancel my booking right away and go for Safari.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:21   #37
BHPian

Hello all, I checked the price of Safari LX here in Lucknow and I was quoted 8.31l ex showroom price. According to this On Road price will come around 9.0l. Has the price of Safari reduced? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Old 7th June 2011, 10:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

^
UP is heavily overpriced by about 20K from the prices in Delhi e.g. its 8.18L ex showroom in Delhi

AFAIK, LX doesnt come in 4x4; I think we/OP is confusing BS4 with 4x4; Incidentally the VX BS4 4x4 is priced at 12.55L ex showroom Delhi;

Last edited by dkaile : 7th June 2011 at 10:27.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:42   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
What I mean to tell was, that I have booked a Scorpio Sle which is due for delivery this week. But if I am getting Safari Lx 4x4 at 8.4L why not that ? sometime back the safari 4x4 was being offered only in Vx, but here simpleman is talking about the Lx. So Please let me know if 4x4 in Lx so that i can cancel my booking right away and go for Safari.
2500cc, I believe T-Safari 4x4 is offered only on VX now, its confirmed by many members. And simpleman has bought the LX 4x2. Quoting from the first post,

Quote:
Now the gory details

I always wanted the 4x4. My plans were shot down by TATA motors when they decided to discontinue the 4X4 EX. I couldnt convince myself to go for the 4x2 ex hence I decided to chase the Lx. Booking was done at VST Motors, Cuddalore. They had a car in stock and could do the delivery whenever I wanted.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:54   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
2500cc, I believe T-Safari 4x4 is offered only on VX now, its confirmed by many members. And simpleman has bought the LX 4x2. Quoting from the first post,
Cool, Thank you Buddy for the clarification.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 7th June 2011, 11:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Hm, that sets me thinking. I've always believed Safari is difficult for women to drive. I thought so because of the size, the effort it takes to move her through traffic (clutch, gears, steering all need more effort than a hatch or sedan). And I am yet to see a lady driving a safari, whereas I've seen ladies driving other SUVs (many Scorpios, pajeros, jeeps, CRVs etc).

In Highways, I agree Safari is one of the easiest to drive, she just punters on smoothly without much effort required to keep her in control, but in thick city traffic, I have my doubts how easy it would be for a lady to move a Safari about.

Verditer, I have'nt given my wife the controls within the city yet. I might have to change opinions once she is confident enough to drive within the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Hello all, I checked the price of Safari LX here in Lucknow and I was quoted 8.31l ex showroom price. According to this On Road price will come around 9.0l. Has the price of Safari reduced? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Regards

The price of the safari has not been reduced. Infact, it has been hiked up by Rs 30,000 in the month of april. I bought the car in pondicherry which immediately wipes off about Rs 70,000 from the price of the car as the road tax is negligible there. In tamil nadu, the price of the vehicle comes to almost Rs 9.2 lakhs on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Correct. It is the 4x2.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:07   #42
BHPian

Congrats doctor !!! Tata Safari had always impressed me with their ads - Live your dream. A very good written review. Enjoy miles and miles with it. Drive safe.
Old 17th June 2011, 12:34   #43
BHPian

the ICE install

I started my quest for ICE before I got the car. My requirements were
-excellent sound stage at the front.
-Component speakers that can reproduce good vocals and guitar solos, a good mid range basically.
-Sub that integrates well with the setup
-Damping if necessary.

After a lot of pmsing, I put in the following:

Kenwood 6043
MTX thunder 6000 components at the front
Auditor RIP 130c co axials at the back.
Auditor RIP 4280 amp
Auditor RIP 3005 in a sealed enclosure.

Install was done at Powerzone royapettai

I left the car there at 11.30am and the install was done by 6.00pm. I decided to go for the damping at a later stage due to budget constraints.

Did I get enough bang for my hard earned buck?

Most definitely, yes. I'm blown away by the MTX components. I listened to a wide variety of music. Most of my music has a lot of backing vocals and harmonizing, which is lost in most ICE setups that I have listened to. The front sound stage is amazing and the sub has been integrated well into the setup. The sub comes in only when required and there is no listening fatigue.
The head unit does its job very well and I like the sound signature.
At the rear, the co axials are powered from the head unit itself, hence sound stage is good but not great. The rear co axials are over powered by the MTX components at the front.
I had my apprehensions about ICEing the Safari. It is a humongous car. But I think the stock tweeter positions and the space in front of the speakers in the front makes it an awesome car to ICE. Just my humble opinion.

The first service experience

In the midst of all the gallavanting around the countryside, the car quietly moved into 1400kms when I left her for her first service.

The complaints that I had given to the service center were:

- tail gate rattling, which was rectified
- rear view mirror not moving. Infact when I sat in the car with the service engineer, he tried it and the mirror came off in his hand.
This was put back and now it can be manipulated.
-The ac knob light was not working. This was corrected so well that now the ac knob light is working, but the light in the row of button just above it, is not.
-Engine was making a krrrrr noise only while acclerating in 4th gear. Now it is not making that noise.

The car has now become much smoother to drive, gear shifts are slotting into place well.

Total cost of service: Rs 198.

I had filled in about 60 litres of diesel when I got the car, on which she ran about 750kms. So the mileage that I am getting is good. This is with about 30% of highway use and 70% of inside town use. The ac was on all the time.

In short, I am enjoying the ownership of the car. I shall upload photos of the ICE install over the weekend.
Old 20th June 2011, 00:14   #44
BHPian

As promised, here are a few pictures of the speakers and the sub.
Attached Thumbnails
How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0331.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0332.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0333.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0336.jpg  

Old 20th June 2011, 01:09   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats simpleman for the beast! I envy you. How many people can buy a Safari as a first buy even if its your dream machine.

And when I was reading thru your post, there was only one thing going in my mind. "Caught at the wrong job" !! A [should have been] writer doing surgery ! Frankly, you have a lovely way of narration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
You may also face some problems with your power windows.
Is this called rubbing salt on the wounds? Or setting the right expectations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
Any suggestions as what and where in chennai I can get it done?
GP road should be having vast options right ?

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks