Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 16:16   #76
BHPian

Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Congratulations Norules on getting your baby back! I read all about your mishap and I can't help but mention that it was definitely your driver's fault. Driving at such a high speed on such a narrow road is nothing but a recipe for disaster.
Anyways, I hope from now on you don't face any such problems!

I was curious about the build and ride quality of the car. How would you compare it with that of the vento? Also, any squeaks or rattles?

Last edited by DeKay : 10th November 2011 at 16:16. Reason: Typo
Old 11th November 2011, 01:15   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I was curious about the build and ride quality of the car. How would you compare it with that of the vento? Also, any squeaks or rattles?
Thanks DeKay for your kind words. No, never again. No driver is going to drive crazy with my car.

I have not driven Vento extensively but from the few times i drove it, I can say it is a very good car but I chose Optra Magnum over Vento because;

1. Space
2. Power
3. Price
4. Couple of personal quirks n fancies.

Magnum's power might not be as linear as Vento but it is a monster if you can live with the little turbo lag under 1800 RPM. I cannot comment on how a Vento would have behaved when I met with the accident but I am very happy with how my Magnum behaved - tank like built quality, composed, straight line drive even after both LHS tires were blown.

Vento is definitely more louder than Magnum but I have not driven it enough to comment on rattles and squeaks. Magnum - no rattles, no squeaks.
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 13:49   #78
BHPian

I bet you liked Magnum more after the mishap. I did, when mine met with an accident in Jan 2010 when it was barely 2 months old. Rock solid build.
Old 11th November 2011, 14:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting the car back.

But somehow am unable to understand why you had to pay ~18k. Your insurance excess would be about 1k. Looking at your bill, I don't think plastic parts more than 20k were used. So that 10k from there.

Any idea from where did the 7K materialise as you will have 0% depreciation on metal components if the vehicle is under 6 months old.

Cheers
Old 8th December 2011, 15:52   #80
BHPian

5000 kms update:

Got the first 5000 kms servicing done few days ago. Regular servicing done, there was some noise coming from the steering when turned full tilt which I reported to the service center. Apparently some nut /bolt was loose which they fixed.

The bill came to Rs.3,536.00 - bill posted below. Post servicing went on a long trip to Maharastra (Nanded) which included some awesome 4 laned roads and some very bad rural roads and my car gave me 14 kmpl. Am very happy with the performance.

Additional items replaced / bought during the first service -

Air Cleaner - A small bird got into the filter, croaked and damaged it. so it had to be replaced.

Mud flaps: One of the mud flap broke - had to buy a set of 4 mud flaps.

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-bill01.jpg
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 11:23   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post

Air Cleaner - A small bird got into the filter, croaked and damaged it. so it had to be replaced.

What thaaa !! NoRules I totally agree to the fact that this is one of the Fastest Cars under 15 Lakhs. But the above point doesn't ring the bell in me.

How on Earth did this happen ??
Old 9th December 2011, 12:07   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
What thaaa !! NoRules I totally agree to the fact that this is one of the Fastest Cars under 15 Lakhs. But the above point doesn't ring the bell in me.

How on Earth did this happen ??
Absolutely no clue how the bird wiggled its way into the filter. Have the damaged filter in the boot. Will take a pic and post.

Mods done recently: Changed the stock head lights to 100/90 Hella with Hella harness. Excellent bulbs. Considerable improvement on the stock bulbs. Costed me 1350/- bucks.
Old 9th December 2011, 12:23   #83
Senior - BHPian

Just curious why the car needs 6.25 lt of engine oil. Is that normal or bit on the higher side?
Old 9th December 2011, 13:28   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Just curious why the car needs 6.25 lt of engine oil. Is that normal or bit on the higher side?
I think it is normal. I checked out the first service bill posted by keyur in his Optra ownership thread and even his car needed 6.3 litres of engine oil.
Old 9th December 2011, 13:45   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

The car needs about 6.3 lts as per manual and it is with replacement of oil filter, which happens once in 10000 kms if using synthetic oil
Old 9th December 2011, 17:17   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I think it is normal. I checked out the first service bill posted by keyur in his Optra ownership thread and even his car needed 6.3 litres of engine oil.
Hi NoRules , good to learn that you have your car in pristine form . I went through the service bill . Is that mineral oil thats being used , seems like from the price. Whats the grade ?
Does the magnum drink 6.25 lts of engine oil every 5000 km or is it a complete drain out and refill instead of a top up that we usually do in our vento ?
Cheers
Old 9th December 2011, 17:32   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
Whats the grade ?
Does the magnum drink 6.25 lts of engine oil every 5000 km or is it a complete drain out and refill instead of a top up that we usually do in our vento ?
Cheers
Sourav -

Optra takes in 6.5L of 15W40, every 5K Kms.

Does your Vento take a top up @ 15K Kms intervals ?
Old 9th December 2011, 17:45   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
EDIT: Correcting you Torquedo: Optra TCDi needs an oil & oil filter change every 10000km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Cheers

Do you need to do regular topups on the vento diesel engine? Does that mean that the engine consumes oil? At what rate?

Last edited by benzinblut : 9th December 2011 at 17:49. Reason: See EDIT
Old 10th December 2011, 03:20   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Sourav -

Does your Vento take a top up @ 15K Kms intervals ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
EDIT: Correcting you Torquedo: Optra TCDi needs an oil & oil filter change every 10000km.

Do you need to do regular topups on the vento diesel engine? Does that mean that the engine consumes oil? At what rate?
My experience over the first 15,000 km has been that my car needed a top up at 5K km , that's where i changed my engine oil to fully synthetic Mobil1 which lasted me till my first service at 14.5K kms when the oil , oil filters were changed. The 4.5 lts of mobil1 oil lasted apprx 10K kms , the oil level was at min. The Vento does consume oil , I am still observing it to come to the conclusion whether its at a decreasing rate or not.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:18   #90
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review and ownership. Post discussing with you I am planning to get myself a New Optra Magnum. I have test driven it and fell in love with the turbo kick and spacious interiors. I dont plan to sell this car within the next 5 - 6 yrs. Your feedback around the After Sales Service has given me a lot of confidence in proceeding with my decision to buy Optra. Enjoy your stint with the Optra. Happy motoring and wish you many more miles on this amazing machine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks