Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 14:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Vista VX – Our new White Stallion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
btw, isnt VX the top variant in the new line up? I thought it came with alloy wheels.
just verified: ZX is the top variant with Alloys, among others.

regarding FE, it will definitely rise after the 1st and 2nd service. After that it settles to around 14.5 to 15.5 kmpl with 100% air con, city conditions (my experience with the 2008 Vista).

remember, FE is a function of driving style, traffic condition and use of other gadgets (mainly A/C but also ICE, charger etc to some extent).

the traffic is not in your control and I would never recommend anyone to drive in city without air con (if you dont want to travel in comfort just to save a few rupees, why bother buying a car?).

what you can influence is your driving style. use engine braking effectively, always cruise in an appropriate gear with minimum clutch use and see the FE shoot up!

find out the minimum cruising speeds for every gear (especially the first 4) and never use clutch in that speed range, unless you want to change gear. for slowing down in normal moving traffic, simply take your feet off the accelerator and let the engine do the rest. at the most give a slight tap to the brake pedal if required.

do not bother pressing the brake hard unless you want to deccelerate rapidly and ensure this is always accompanied by a downshift of gear. most of the people are taught to press the clutch whenever brake is pressed. unlearn this and rely on engine braking.
Old 19th September 2011, 14:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation's. On the pictures the interior quality surely looks much better then what i have seen very many years ago on Tata cars. Although you have highlighted a few of them but still they are something you can live with.

I surely liked the power windows switches on door and not on the center console which used to be quiet irritating earlier.
Old 19th September 2011, 17:18   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on the buy vishnu.
Thanks for the detailed review.
Good pics too, showing the features and the ample space that comes with the vista.

Any feedback on the performance of the AC?
Old 19th September 2011, 18:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
Friday - during a meeting at office!

Help Needed Also listing below is some help needed from Fellow BHPians
  • Seat Covers: Am a bit tight on budget, so can someone suggest good quality, but not super expensive art leather seat covers in bangalore?
  • SunFilm: am looking for a light greenish tint sunflim, unfortunately, 3M doesn't have any in that color, any suggestions of good quality film?
  • Cleaning: any best practices of how to clean the car without swirls etc will be most welcome. I am sure i dont want the neighbourhood carwash guy to touch my car.
  • Audio Upgrade: any suggestions welcome. am not very technical with respect to audio engineering, so something simple to understand would be great
Why put money on some inferior art leather covers, instead go ahead and use the fabric seats and get them cleaned if they get soiled. IMO i think art leather really doesnt serve any purpose. Its like saving the seats for the second hand buyer. If you really want seat covers, get the quality real leather seats like Stanley. Else retain the fabric covers and save money. You just cannot match the fitting of a factory fitted fabric.
vista_qjd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 23:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Manza is doing fine just crossed 700kms yesterday so you can gauge how fine its going on . Yes surely we can meet for a photoshoot, NICE road will be a good place for a shoot
Yes, lets do NICE, maybe after first service..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi Vishnu, Congratz on your Vista - Vista looks her best in porcelain white.

i am not sure which part of bangalore you are put up, if you are any were near, try Imperial Leathers for seat covers - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ngalore-2.html

To clean the car with out swirls, you have already got the first step - I can see a Jopasu Dustur. now, compliment that with ONR and a good microfiber cloth, and when it is time to wax your car, get a good car wax to keep her shining.

If you are not an audiophile, upgrade your speakers first. The OEM speakers are nothing to write home about and a good speaker upgrade will result it better sound.
theexperthand.. Thanks! I'll surely try imperial. As vista_qjd suggested, i'll also look at leathers and stretch my budget a bit more if things work out, lets see!

on the cleaning part, pls pardon my ignorance, what is ONR? I'll leave the audio for now, have a story to tell about it, will save for later posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Congrats on your new drive, Big Vishnu.

Well written Initial Ownership report and the abundant photos compliment your report very well.

The fit and finish of TATA has improved but is still a long way to go when considering their long term durability. Drive safe...

Hi Mas, thanks buddy! it sure is a much improved car. can say that with confidence since i ahve owned / driven every generation of the tata hatch. i want to believe that this one is a really long term durable car, time will tell

Quote:
Congratulations! As an owner of the very first QJD Vista released in Sept 2008, I can say that this refresh is well deserved for the wonderful car.

I am thinking of selling my Aura sometime this year and am sorely tempted by the new Vista. But the problem is I am keen on an A/T car now (to handle the daily commute).

btw, isnt VX the top variant in the new line up? I thought it came with alloy wheels.
CtrlAltDel.. VX is not the top, that place is reserved for the ZX. the differences are the following
  • Alloys
  • Seatbelt Pre-tensioners (donno what taht is, actually )
  • roof mounted taillamp with LED
  • Front Airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Its little on a lower scale considering its a diesel but it'll definitely increase after your 1st service. I observed an increase of 2-3 kmpl after first service in my i20. If you follow the fuel efficient driving tips, you can easily extract more from your car.

How is the performance of AC?

The White Stallion indeed looks gorgeous. Congratulations.
Hi guyfrmblr.. thanks! yes, i felt it was low too, am a bit worried, but i guess its also to do with the bellandur flyover that i have to cross every day.

Coming to the AC, its GREAT. most of the time, at bangalore, i do not have to go beyond the first step, and even on that, after some time, have to actually reduce the cooling.

Quote:
just verified: ZX is the top variant with Alloys, among others.

regarding FE, it will definitely rise after the 1st and 2nd service. After that it settles to around 14.5 to 15.5 kmpl with 100% air con, city conditions (my experience with the 2008 Vista).

remember, FE is a function of driving style, traffic condition and use of other gadgets (mainly A/C but also ICE, charger etc to some extent).

the traffic is not in your control and I would never recommend anyone to drive in city without air con (if you dont want to travel in comfort just to save a few rupees, why bother buying a car?).

what you can influence is your driving style. use engine braking effectively, always cruise in an appropriate gear with minimum clutch use and see the FE shoot up!

find out the minimum cruising speeds for every gear (especially the first 4) and never use clutch in that speed range, unless you want to change gear. for slowing down in normal moving traffic, simply take your feet off the accelerator and let the engine do the rest. at the most give a slight tap to the brake pedal if required.

do not bother pressing the brake hard unless you want to deccelerate rapidly and ensure this is always accompanied by a downshift of gear. most of the people are taught to press the clutch whenever brake is pressed. unlearn this and rely on engine braking.
Well said CtrlAltDel.. will try and follow ur advise. will report back the next round of tankfull soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Congratulation's. On the pictures the interior quality surely looks much better then what i have seen very many years ago on Tata cars. Although you have highlighted a few of them but still they are something you can live with.

I surely liked the power windows switches on door and not on the center console which used to be quiet irritating earlier.
Mayank, so very agree with you on the location of the window switches. on my earlier Turbo, the switches were responsible for half the backaches in the family. the fit and finish, like you mentioned is very much improved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Congratulations on the buy vishnu.
Thanks for the detailed review.
Good pics too, showing the features and the ample space that comes with the vista.

Any feedback on the performance of the AC?
Hi Figo_united, Thanks! the AC, IMO is pretty good. does the job without sweating a bit. more above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Why put money on some inferior art leather covers, instead go ahead and use the fabric seats and get them cleaned if they get soiled. IMO i think art leather really doesnt serve any purpose. Its like saving the seats for the second hand buyer. If you really want seat covers, get the quality real leather seats like Stanley. Else retain the fabric covers and save money. You just cannot match the fitting of a factory fitted fabric.
Vista_qjd, you surely got me thinking!
Old 20th September 2011, 09:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, lets do NICE, maybe after first service..!

Well i think my Manza will go in for its 1st Service this weekend itself since I have already done some 830kms till today
Old 20th September 2011, 09:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
theexperthand.. Thanks! I'll surely try imperial. As vista_qjd suggested, i'll also look at leathers and stretch my budget a bit more if things work out, lets see!

on the cleaning part, pls pardon my ignorance, what is ONR? I'll leave the audio for now, have a story to tell about it, will save for later posts
ONR is a multi-purpose product which works as a rinseless wash and as a quick detailer, depending on the concentration. There are many people vouch by ONR in the forum and I am one among them. After I got ONR, my car have not undergone a water wash in last 2~3 months. Cleaning your car with ONR is super quick and it gives you much much better cleaning and protection than water wash, unless your car is really muddy.

Optimum - No Rinse

Waterless Car Wash» Optimum No Rinse
Check out the detailing thread for more info about how to keep your car sparkling clean

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...edge-home.html

About leather seats - good quality leather seat cover will set you back by 20K+, and the comfort offered by leather is unmatched.

But on the other hand, the luster materiel seat cover will set you back only by 6~7K, and will last for about 4~5 years. I have seen fittings which rival the fit and finish of OEM seat covers, and though not in the league of original leather, this is certainly a worthy alternative if you want to spruce up your interiors.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 14:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nice looking car you have in your stable! Surely the latest avataar of the Vista looks quite neat and a class bigger. But personally I prefer the hatch and the sedan having different character. Talking about similarities was not the Etios/ Liva D not in consideration at that point of time as there were talks of its impending launch.
This may be a pertinent comparo now for many folks since B plus segment diesel hatches being the following - Vista, Figo, Liva, Polo, Punto, Fabia (leaving out Swift coz of 60k bookings and probably 6 months waiting time) and with Liva around it would draw in many considering the other 'T' badge. The only other D left out is Beat and Ritz of course.
Old 20th September 2011, 16:25   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

BigVishnu, Congratulations on your new acquisition. Loved your to the point report on the selection process and the very objective and neutral feedback on both the +ves and -ves.

I feel if you move to driving style of giving the car a good rip (rev the car a bit more agressively) then your driving experience will improve. As then the car would be in 1700+ rpm range longer and sooner. The fuel effeciency could then drop 1-2 km/l but hey it is diesel.

Also though you did mention the space indications with kid between u and the steering. Do keep the child in the rear seat only, if the child is too small then have wife sit in the rear with child - you will look like a driver but that is part of the experience.

Happy and safe driving.
Old 20th September 2011, 22:56   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on the Vista, makes sense to buy this because of the space and features it offers given the price tag. I really like the new rear of the hatch, good touch. But i prefer the mesh grill up front, it just makes the vista look more sporty!
Old 21st September 2011, 00:29   #26
BHPian

Congratulations buying the new Vista.
This is really a good car with robust build & feel.
Highway jaunts aren't even a trouble either for this sturdy car.

What's your take on its Centrally mounted Instrument Cluster.
Is it a boon or bane while driving !
Old 21st September 2011, 00:39   #27
BHPian

Congrats on the Vista and a nice report. I was recommending Vista VX to my friend as well until I read the other thread on TML CEO resignation.

Quote:
Also, the microphone position is not known to me, so when i take the calls, the folks on the other side usually complain that the voice is pretty low, not sure how to fix that problem! any suggestions or insights?
It should be behind your Inner rear view mirror fixed to the windshield. So you probably have to look up to speak instead of at the road.

Seat Covers:
The skin fit Autoform seat covers are VFM and have them on my Manza. Dolphin, GSport and Stallion are other good options.

Audio upgrade
First thing is to change the front components speakers. It should improve the sound a good deal. If it does not suffice, you can then add an amplifier and replace the rear coxials. For an amplifier, you may need an high to low converter as the OE system does not have pre-outs.
Swirl free
check out the superb car detailing thread on the Indian Car http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-home-328.html
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 10:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
I was recommending Vista VX to my friend as well until I read the other thread on TML CEO resignation.
Recommendation of buying a Vista Refresh VX and CEO resignation - how are they linked so directly and instantly , pls can you explain ?

Vista refresh booking is far more than the estimated numbers of TML [ You can also chk with any dealer the trend ] and that shows the improvements in the new car are well accepted by the customers.

I think one should not go by these high level management changes which will not impact TML operations / plans of the company in anyways, I guess.

Pls ask your friend to drive the new car, feel the interiors himself and then take a call himself.

** I saw one Vista white in dealership last week, when i went to check the LE Manza. LE Manza was not avl though for test drive/ visual check **
Old 21st September 2011, 10:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Well i think my Manza will go in for its 1st Service this weekend itself since I have already done some 830kms till today
WOW... I probably need a cpl weeks to catch up. am at 650 kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
ONR is a multi-purpose product which works as a rinseless wash and as a quick detailer, depending on the concentration.

About leather seats - good quality leather seat cover will set you back by 20K+, and the comfort offered by leather is unmatched.

But on the other hand, the luster materiel seat cover will set you back only by 6~7K, and will last for about 4~5 years. I have seen fittings which rival the fit and finish of OEM seat covers, and though not in the league of original leather, this is certainly a worthy alternative if you want to spruce up your interiors.
That was enlightening. i somehow missed all the cleaning / detailing threads for so long. I will surely consider the ONR. Thanks Expert Sir. On the seats.. debate is still on, and budget it tight, so maybe next month or later

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Thats a nice looking car you have in your stable! Surely the latest avataar of the Vista looks quite neat and a class bigger. But personally I prefer the hatch and the sedan having different character. Talking about similarities was not the Etios/ Liva D not in consideration at that point of time as there were talks of its impending launch.
This may be a pertinent comparo now for many folks since B plus segment diesel hatches being the following - Vista, Figo, Liva, Polo, Punto, Fabia (leaving out Swift coz of 60k bookings and probably 6 months waiting time) and with Liva around it would draw in many considering the other 'T' badge. The only other D left out is Beat and Ritz of course.
Thanks Girishglg.. since i don't own both hatch and sedan, my perspective is that it really doesn't matter if the bigger and smaller siblings share the same look / size. For the manufacturer, common components mean economies of scale, means cheaper cost of procurement, means we get a share of the savings. simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
BigVishnu, Congratulations on your new acquisition. Loved your to the point report on the selection process and the very objective and neutral feedback on both the +ves and -ves.

I feel if you move to driving style of giving the car a good rip (rev the car a bit more agressively) then your driving experience will improve. As then the car would be in 1700+ rpm range longer and sooner. The fuel effeciency could then drop 1-2 km/l but hey it is diesel.

Also though you did mention the space indications with kid between u and the steering. Do keep the child in the rear seat only, if the child is too small then have wife sit in the rear with child - you will look like a driver but that is part of the experience.

Happy and safe driving.
ACM, Thanks! i have been critical of TATA's niggles like everyone else, but respect them at the same time for the efforts they are putting to improve. its a tough world out there, and their sales figures indicate how badly they need to improve. Am hoping this, and their future products get them to a more respectable volume that their products deserve.

Coming to ripping the engine a bit to improve the feel and stay longer within the turbo range, well, guess i am driving too sedately because its too new..I dont want to stretch the engine to its limits yet, slowly, i'll get there

On the baby comment, yes, i am guilty of driving sometimes within the residential colony, home to park etc. the 16 month kiddo is so used to it, he refuses to sit elsewhere. Car seat is installed, but only his mom can get him into it. I'll take some time to get him out of the lap, or, hope he outgrows it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Congratulations on the Vista, makes sense to buy this because of the space and features it offers given the price tag. I really like the new rear of the hatch, good touch. But i prefer the mesh grill up front, it just makes the vista look more sporty!
Thanks Yash! some colors look good with the mesh grill, and some dont. the reason i switched colors from Grey to White was because white looks better with the chrome grill. Agree, the rear is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Congratulations buying the new Vista.
This is really a good car with robust build & feel.
Highway jaunts aren't even a trouble either for this sturdy car.

What's your take on its Centrally mounted Instrument Cluster.
Is it a boon or bane while driving !

CRTorquefan.. thanks! this sure is one robust car. cannot wait to get onto the Highway.

coming to the centrally mounted instrument cluster, it took some time to get used to but its absolutely cool to use now. i like the few inches of extra view i get of the road. i guess shorter folks will like it even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Congrats on the Vista and a nice report. I was recommending Vista VX to my friend as well until I read the other thread on TML CEO resignation.

It should be behind your Inner rear view mirror fixed to the windshield. So you probably have to look up to speak instead of at the road.
Swirl free
check out the superb car detailing thread on the Indian Car http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-home-328.html
Thanks Sridhar! will go search for the mic now and thanks for the detailing guide link, will take some time to pick up the skills!
Old 21st September 2011, 13:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations bigvishnu! It has to be experienced to believe how nice a car this is.
Have a wonderful ownership experience.

We bought the Vista Safire model back in May, in the same color.

First thing my sister commented after getting into the car was, 'this is Big!'

I think this new refresh has added more to the VFM factor of the car and looks like lot of people are now taking it seriously.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks