Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 19:05   #31
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
My wish too.
I drive a Hyundai Tucson and the clutch plain sucks. So I doubt the longavity of any manual transmission diesel SUV. A good AT box is the need of the hour.
You mean the longivity of the driver I guess. Diesels with MT have last beyound 200K km easily. Of course with a clutch change every 60k kms.
Old 12th October 2011, 19:10   #32
BHPian

It seems XUV5OO inital bookings have exceeded M&M production capcity of four months and now they have temporarily suspended new bookings as per the ET article.

Mahindra says XUV5OO is sold for 4 months; suspends bookings - The Economic Times

Last edited by Ram_NP : 12th October 2011 at 19:11.
Old 12th October 2011, 19:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

@noidaboy

You seem to have come fairly impressed with the drive & the features. I saw one on the road in Gurgaon, quite honestly I found the design quite over the top. Though I sure hope that it drives well & delivers the goods !!

Cheers
Old 12th October 2011, 19:20   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post

No pairing of Bluetooth above 20 kph does this mean we cannot receive phone calls over Bluetooth when the vehicle is above 20 kph
Please can someone post a picture of the umbrella holder as i could not find one on xuv website or any of the external reviews of the xuv500
All i ment PAIRING A NEW PHONE WHILE DRIVING is not permitted by the system it says reduce speed to pair. Bluetooth works like a charm.

Umbrella holder is like a bottle holder slot in the side pocket on the driver side door. But yes it does have a small hole for water drainage.
Old 12th October 2011, 19:28   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
You mean the longivity of the driver I guess. Diesels with MT have last beyound 200K km easily. Of course with a clutch change every 60k kms.
Yes, to be precise the longavity of the driver's left knee and driving pleasure. And my memories of Scorpio are from the pre CRDe 2.6L era when the gearbox was plain horrible, then I drove the mHawk briefly some months ago to see that gearbox has improved just a little bit in those years and commented that may be it's good for M&M to shift to AT directly. The speed with which they are improving their MT will take them years to get to where international players are. But honestly, the Tucson gearbox - though completely vibration free - suck big time regarding shift quality and the clutch back pressure, so I guess it's really a challenge to make good user friendly manual gearbox for high torque diesel engines. 4x4 only makes the matters worse (adds to the strain on the clutch unless it's a full time 4WD with center diff).

I was told by the Hyundai service advisor that one way to get around this is to use Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) like all Skoda's, the Hyundai Terracan, Tata Aria. Any idea if the XUV uses DMF?

Cheers!
Old 12th October 2011, 19:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
The sales executive @ Sireesh auto Bangalore also mentioned that the MapMyIndia subscription is free only for the first year. Is it true? Anybody knows how much does it cost per year after that?

One more difference between W6 and W8 is the leather wrapped steering wheel. It feels nice to hold.

Maymyindia releases new set of maps ( So called upgrades ) Year 1 comes with XUV . Year 2 onwards this is available on a chargeable basis . This is quite common with all OE based models providing GPS .
Old 12th October 2011, 19:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, to be precise the longavity of the driver's left knee and driving pleasure. And my memories of Scorpio are from the pre CRDe 2.6L era when the gearbox was plain horrible, then I drove the mHawk briefly some months ago to see that gearbox has improved just a little bit in those years and commented that may be it's good for M&M to shift to AT directly. The speed with which they are improving their MT will take them years to get to where international players are. But honestly, the Tucson gearbox - though completely vibration free - suck big time regarding shift quality and the clutch back pressure, so I guess it's really a challenge to make good user friendly manual gearbox for high torque diesel engines. 4x4 only makes the matters worse (adds to the strain on the clutch unless it's a full time 4WD with center diff).

I was told by the Hyundai service advisor that one way to get around this is to use Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) like all Skoda's, the Hyundai Terracan, Tata Aria. Any idea if the XUV uses DMF?

Cheers!

Hi

Try driving the old school Pajero - no issues with the clutch - and a brilliant shifting gearbox to match. You may change your opinion on MT diesels forever

Cheers
Old 12th October 2011, 19:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Good one noidaboy. Like I had posted elsewhere, it does 190kmph !

Did you drive it?
Yes Driven, Personally its good when driven with sanity. But people with a heavy foot might not be amused, Due to excessive low end torque and front wheel drive wheel spin in the 1st and 2nd gear is there and also the power drops hard on the wheels it feels/sounds like you are breaking something. After 3rd gear you shall be flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Thanks for the update, quick questions around what is stated above. Any clues if an extra screen can be put up which keeps playing DVD even when the car is on the move?

On the braking i have read elsewhere that its not confidence inspiring, did you feel the same as well or was it different. How would you compare the breaking to some other SUV's in this segment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
Did any one check out with the brakes??I know its all disk brakes but still
Brakes by far have been good comparing to the weight of the car. Dont feel shy to press the pedal hard let the ABS KICK and you shall smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
The sales executive @ Sireesh auto Bangalore also mentioned that the MapMyIndia subscription is free only for the first year. Is it true? Anybody knows how much does it cost per year after that?

One more difference between W6 and W8 is the leather wrapped steering wheel. It feels nice to hold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Thanks for the info! I strongly feel that mahindra should ramp up production of the car to atleast 4000 per month.
I didnt understand the DRL's part what did you mean by 'They only come on when parking is switched on'?
In the export version they DRL's are functional, In india they are connected with the parking lights as DRL's are not mandatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@noidaboy

You seem to have come fairly impressed with the drive & the features. I saw one on the road in Gurgaon, quite honestly I found the design quite over the top. Though I sure hope that it drives well & delivers the goods !!

Cheers
@ricky : The car will grow on you some how. The PAINT QUALITY is top notch and the features talk for them selves. The initial look did give feeling of this being MODIFIED OUTLANDER but then the bodylines of a "CHEETAH" will appear, LOL. But then its currently VALUE FOR MONEY, Lets hope it delivers the promise of reliability. Mahindra has worked very hard indeed,But just missed the nick by the interior plastic but then for the money i think you can live with it. This car will like the SWIFT diesel of SUV's, Hate the plastic love the car

Last edited by noidaboy : 12th October 2011 at 19:52.
Old 12th October 2011, 19:40   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Try driving the old school Pajero - no issues with the clutch - and a brilliant shifting gearbox to match. You may change your opinion on MT diesels forever

Cheers
Good to know.

BTW, Pajero has a center diff, right?
Does it also have a DMF?
Tucson uses single mass flywheel and a part time 4WD that has a clutch like coupling to send power to rear. Makes life hell for the clutch.

Of course the Scorps and Safari's that I drove were simple 2WD and still the clutch was very very hard...
Old 12th October 2011, 20:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to know.

BTW, Pajero has a center diff, right?
Does it also have a DMF?
Tucson uses single mass flywheel and a part time 4WD that has a clutch like coupling to send power to rear. Makes life hell for the clutch.

Of course the Scorps and Safari's that I drove were simple 2WD and still the clutch was very very hard...

Sir I am a non-techie. I understand ground reality not tech-nicality , but I still suggest you drive the Pajero. Whatever be the underlying reason, the clutch is fine & so is the gear shift.

Please excuse my ear to the ground approach !!

Cheers
Old 12th October 2011, 20:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea if the XUV uses DMF?

Cheers!
XUV has dual mass flywheel (As told by the SA). Never read it anywhere though.
Old 12th October 2011, 20:13   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir I am a non-techie. I understand ground reality not tech-nicality , but I still suggest you drive the Pajero. Whatever be the underlying reason, the clutch is fine & so is the gear shift.

Cheers
Sure, will love to drive a Pajero when I get an opportunity. Being techie is a relative thing. When compared with say a Hyundai design engineer, we are non-techies. But while showing off our cars to friends and family we are all "cool" techies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
XUV has dual mass flywheel (As told by the SA). Never read it anywhere though.
Wow. Now that sounds promising.
And the overall Indian automobile scene is improving or what? A Sales guy in M&M showroom is talking about DMF! Isn't that cool?

Cheers!
Old 12th October 2011, 20:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

This certainly looks like a game-changer for Mahindra in India. To achieve 190kmph in Indian conditions!! My Fortuner could never do this (though I haven't yet got a road capable of trying it out).
Old 12th October 2011, 20:36   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Wow. Now that sounds promising.
And the overall Indian automobile scene is improving or what? A Sales guy in M&M showroom is talking about DMF! Isn't that cool?

Cheers!
@anand

Not only a DMF its also got a Hydraulic engine mounting too. To reduce vibrations, Uber cool?
noidaboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 21:25   #45
BHPian

My cousin who had booked w8 white has received a SMS from Mahindra to change to some other colour if he wants it early. Otherwise delivery date is 4-6 months.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks