Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 22:04   #76
BHPian

Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
Couldn't agree with you more on the very apt writeup I've highlighted above.
The problem for the Indian consumer has been the complete absence of a viable alternative between the Scorpio and the Fortuner. That is true at least for me personally, as I was looking for something with good reliable diesel power plant, good ground clearance, possible third row of seating in a pinch, and at least AWD if not full-time 4WD. There was a gaping product gap in that segment. Just from a brand point of view, I don't think Toyota is in any threat at this point. I owned a Toyota and I know exactly how utterly reliable they are.
But again, I again, the XUV has the potential to shake the market for a long time if it shows staying power on the road. M&M can definitely 'Rise' provided they've made a reliable car. (And if they can control the quirky design tendencies and up the quality of the interior). Toyota's brand wasn't built in a day or with a single product either. It took time, and M&M can get there too, and the XUV is (hopefully) a step in the right direction.
Thanks. I have highlighted the key aspects of your reply. You have amplified my thoughts and I could not have put it any better . Am also a big Toyota fan (I have owned and driven Corolla and Camry in US for a some time). Having said that, the point here is that I believe M & M have got a vehicle at an aggressive price point - and from what am reading in this forum - that pretty much targets the segment where Toyota Fortuner is today. This does not mean that Toyota Fortuner is going to shut shop !! On the contrary, Toyota will up its ante in the times to come and is it not the basic way how competition happens and the consumer wins.

Over the past decade the Indian Car market has undergone a sweeping change. Those who do not adapt to the changing conditions will find that some one has not only moved their cheese but has actually gobbled it up. You can not have a better instance than Mitsubishi Lancer as an illustration to prove the point.

Last edited by aaren : 13th October 2011 at 22:05. Reason: Edit the views
aaren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 22:14   #77
BHPian

None of the auto journalist test drove the vehicle on gravel or semi off road. Owner review should be able to clarify how it handles on such road.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 13th October 2011 at 22:16.
Old 13th October 2011, 22:28   #78
BHPian

Got a call this evening, and the offer of giving me a FWD 'quickly' was made. I've told 'em its White W8 AWD or bust for me. I've been told I'll find out the exact waiting period in 48-72 hours. I'm not given to chewing my nails, but I'll admit I am a teensy bit pensive. I hope they don't come back with an outlandish date. No offer of a different color for the same trim yet; I might take it if offered. Hoping for the best...
Old 13th October 2011, 22:38   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
None of the auto journalist test drove the vehicle on gravel or semi off road. Owner review should be able to clarify how it handles on such road.
Spot on, and I think the problem was that Mahindra probably didn't let them. Or in their hurry to do a review, the reviewers just grabbed the low hanging fruit by driving it on Mahindra's test track.

All the more reason that the junta is waiting for a longer term review on a more varied kind of surface; especially ones that are a little bit more challenging than the Nice road. Perhaps the roads after Domlur upto the Silk Board (or pretty much anywhere else within the city) will be more upto scratch. I don't know about cars, but those roads rattle the living daylights out of me. Maybe keeping a glass full of water on the dash and driving around normally will be the ultimate test of stability.
Old 13th October 2011, 22:43   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray
The XUV 500 has chance to shake up the SUV market and force foreign companies to offer more value for money. As an Indian, I would love that. As a Fortuner owner keeping track of potential resell value, I would continue to hope that other competitors (Renault etc.) continue to make pricing mistakes and keep my vehicle resell value high for a rainy day.
Renault have already goofed up 3 times, so don't think they'll learn soon. Yep, XUV will force all companies(including Tatas) to offer more value for money. It's time for Indians to stop getting ripped off just because the Yen rose against the $.

Some of us might lose value with our current vehicle, but atleast we will get a fair deal next time around. :-)
andromeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 22:56   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
  • Most of the reviews done , drove the vehicle only in Mahindra Test tracks in Poona .
  • Probably one or two took the vehicle on the highway.
  • We all have driven the vehicle say for 5-6 Kms inside the city , never tried on bumpy , non existing roads .
  • Most of us have also not tested many features like AWD , Hill descent during the test drives .
  • It now needs to be seen who will be the First Team BHP member ( who is the lucky one ) to get the vehicle and do a detailed review ...
Old 13th October 2011, 22:57   #82
BHPian

ok a little off topic I have done TD of XUV and 140 bhp engine is peppy and responsive. The car weighs 2450 kg, now i have a linea which is 90hp and weighs 1280 kg, if i get a RD box and bump it upto 110 bhp. Can i experience any close peppiness?

Note from Mod : The Official Mahindra XUV5OO review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2011 at 23:28. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks