Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 02:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Brio 'Ed For the First time!

In the family the smallest car we own is a Jetta, and a recent drive to a 'POR' (A narrow lane in the old city) in the BMW 530d made me think I need a small car, but never took it seriously and another time we had to go to a store where the basement ramp was narrow enough to give me a hard time get my 5 in and out, and on Friday night with little work at hand my mind finally said I NEED A SMALL CAR!

Grabbed the phone and first thing start messaging H@r$h@l whose head I ate up completely as I have never bothered to look into small cars and my knowledge of them is close to Zero to the point where I did not even know what exactly are the features that do not exist or matter in this, and while sharing countless BBM Messages with him, Called a friend and asked him about how the EON was and he was totally praising the car, got me to think maybe I just get that?

H@r$h@l too was convinced as my requirements were simple I just need some small car to be able to go to certain places where I cannot take the bigger cars or perhaps is a little inconvenient, so EON it was, I go off to sleep, I wake him up again at 1 A.M, Hey Brio? And he was praising it as if he gets a commission to speak about the Jazz and it's engine and then a quick log on to the Honda site and I was left wondering what do I do?

Off to sleep again, suddenly I start thinking it never took this long to get an S-Class or a 5 or E and here I am struggling to make up my mind, and then I call my bank manager who had a Liva, and now no offense to anyone who owns it but he got the car to my place late night and one glance at it an I was like NO WAYS can I see myself driving that. (Once again do not get offended Liva owners I am sure its a wonderful produce it's only me who perhaps did not have the taste for it.)

Wife puts me off to sleep, but with it my mind was still working EON... EON...

First thing I wake up and call another friend who works for a dealership, and I was like Hey I need an EON, he was like come pick it up we have almost all models but some colors are missing, but I was least concerned as long as I had a small car with Power Steering, AC and Central lock nothing else mattered, and again messages to H@r$h@l kept flowing back and forth with one specific message of his to me, "Dude you are seriously confused, but get the EON as BRIO has a long wait period"

Long Wait period? Why? To which he gave me some explanation and again marketed the engine and it's amazing characteristics to me and I call the Honda dealer, I've never bought cars from them for the last 12 years but a call was enough to get the nicest treatment all on the phone, and I was like I need a Brio!

Sir, What color and model? I was like it does not matter as long as I have the 3 things I need in a car, and again H@r$h@l was asked to help me decide the model as I was a little occupied with some work and quickly he calls me asking me to get S-MT, and called the dealer back and asked him to tell me what more would I get over the EON Magna?

The engine itself sold me off not only because it was a 1.2 4 Cyl Engine but also because there is a lot of trust I have built in judging the person who helped me, also a few things like Keyless entry, bigger car and everything else just made more sense for the Brio and there it was done by 10:30 I called and confirmed White, and he politely asked, When do you want it?

I was like now!

He's like is Monday ok? Since we will need to do PDI? I was like NO! Today before 4 P.M as I need to watch the Liverpool vs Manchester United game at a friends place and I need the car before that!

Another 5 minutes and he confirms the car will reach home by 2-3 P.M and if I could send him the check by Monday morning? To which I gladly said done.

And quickly messaged my friend at Hyundai about not taking the EON since I am getting the BRIO, and he replied saying,"Good Choice"

Got home the car was there all brand new standing like a little baby in the spot where I was too used to seeing the S or the 530d and I have to say at first instance I was kind of disappointed, it was too small, I was alone Wife was at a friends place, I got in started driving, got more nervous, the car behind me felt like it was on my rear seat, and when I msg'd H@r$h@l I got the brio, at first he thought I was joking, I was like NO I GOT IT I AM IN IT RIGHT NOW! He instantly asked me to come home, and off we went for a drive and sent a thank you message to the dealer who really made my day.

Honda Brio 'Ed For the First time!-1.jpg

To me personally I must say it looks like I will need some time to sink into the idea of such a small car but I do find it impressive for what it does in it's price band, the only gripe I have is adjusting the rear view mirrors requires you to put your hand out, not a very nice thing, they could have had those tooth picks or something like that to adjust them from inside. It also felt stable enough and while the steering is too light I suppose thats how city cars are?

Honda Brio 'Ed For the First time!-4.jpg

But overall I would give it 9/10 for quality at its price point. Keeping one point away for something I am sure I will notice in few days? But honestly am surprised at how well HONDA has priced this car.

Some more highlights from our drive of close to 150 Kms today,

1. Driving the car is a very comfortable affair the seats have a fair amount of support for such a small car.
2. The engine is very responsive, I have no complains.
3. Gearbox is again absolutely stunning.
4. 5 adults spent the entire evening in it and were absolutely comfortable
5. Steering Wheel feels good to hold, and so is the turning Radius nice.
6. Sound system is wonderful with it's Audio controls on the wheel.
7. Love the instrument cluster which is lit at all times.
8. The instrument cluster shows you the 'ECO' mode when you are getting the maximum fuel efficiency.
9. The car feels well planted and with good road manners.
10. Overall am glad for about a lac more I stuck to this, Honda has a winner on their hands and if they can meet the demand, this might get high up the ladder in the segment.

Few things I think they should add are, Defogger, 2nd key with the door open close buttons, and Mirror adjustments from the inside.

Honda Brio 'Ed For the First time!-5.jpg

Honda Brio 'Ed For the First time!-6.jpg

Honda Brio 'Ed For the First time!-7.jpg

Honda Brio 'Ed For the First time!-2.jpg

And like they say sometimes the little things in life excite you a lot this little car is doing wonders, from the nervousness when I got it to now where I am looking forward to driving it tomorrow morning. Will update this as we cover more miles, but if anyone has any questions do feel free to ask will help as much as I can. And again thanks a lot to Honda for giving me what I want without any fuss.

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 04:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Brio 'Ed For the First time!

Let me be the first to congratulate on the new buy. Great choice indeed. Honda has got a winner at hands with a competitive pricing.

Btw Is the boot space good enough for some serious shopping?
Old 16th October 2011, 05:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow, congratulations, this has got to be the fastest purchase. No visiting showroom, no TD, nothing.

The car looks good in real flesh and is a wonderful package for a city roundabout Although i did not drive it but did sat in it when we were loitering at Dakshin Honda.

Arent there any variants that offer setting OVRM from inside with as stated those toothpicks? and second one, what made you choose Brio over Eon?
Old 16th October 2011, 05:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2011 at 16:38.
arjithin is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th October 2011, 07:55   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations !!

As a city runabout car, you have made the perfect choice. The Brio is for the urban commuter and the interiors have quality materials. White looks good too. I never liked the Brio's rear but white shade makes it a bit subtle,

Good choice !!
Old 16th October 2011, 07:59   #6
BHPian

Congrats Dude on your new ride !!

Must be feeling quite thrilled to chuck it around city corners, narrow lanes etc. specially for some one who moves around in 5 series

BTW, you mentioned about the waiting period of 2-3 months, but they delivered the car immediately to you. So how did you manage it? Is the car actually available off the shelf ?

Cheers
MKPI
Old 16th October 2011, 09:47   #7
BHPian

It is really great to see a person whose smallest car is a Jetta being all praise for Brio. I had only one concern - comfort for 5 people. You said that it was very comfy for 5 people whole evening. That makes Brio a complete car. I am very happy to see a winner at Honda's hands.

Now I can confidently recommend Brio to anyone looking for a car in its price range even if they want to carry 5 people.
Old 16th October 2011, 09:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the Brio!

I've a feeling your's is a first not only on T-BHP but in India too! That's a quick decision-purchase you managed there.

From the looks of it itself, it is evident that Honda hasn't really compromised on quality; it still looks a Honda.

How is the ride quality and engine response?

If only Honda did something about the rear!

Anywho, some more pictures please.

Have a great ride!
Old 16th October 2011, 10:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Brio. The first one on Team-bhp.

Nice detailed review of the shortlisting process. A good morning dose.

Enjoy many more happy miles in the little Brio.
Old 16th October 2011, 10:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations . That was a quick initial report for a car that has been just launched. And by the looks off it , you ve made a great choice. Some more pictures please. Also any creature comforts you found missing/ included via a vis other cars in the same ball park ? Ride Safe
Old 16th October 2011, 10:17   #11
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! A lovely car with a sweet engine indeed.

It was great reading about trails and tribulations of the purchase decision from the point of a "big" car owner. And wasnt the ride somewhat liberating?

Last edited by dot : 16th October 2011 at 10:19.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:18   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the Brio. A nice little performer for the city. The only thing I don't like is the rear. Hope you enjoy your new ride.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:35   #13
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Btw Is the boot space good enough for some serious shopping?
'serious' shopping? Seem to be asking the wrong person!
Old 16th October 2011, 11:58   #14
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2011 at 16:39.
sivavikram is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th October 2011, 13:20   #15
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations S350L-E240. I guess that was the quickest purchase penned down in Team-BHP so far. The Brio looks neat in white!

And did you manage to watch the Liverpool – Man U match afterwards?

Most Viewed