Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:17   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Battle of the X-Breeds : SKoda Yeti Vs Mahindra XUV5OO

4 people will be comfortable in the Yeti though it is not a spacious car in that sense. But you will find luggage space to be a bit of a constraint if you travel heavy like I do. I tend to carry a lot of stuff on my road trips. With the baby in the middle in her kid seat and two other passengers in the rear seat, it will be a bit of a tight squeeze I think.
Add luggage to this equation and it will be a tighter squeeze. In cases such as yours I would go for a Laura sized car because of its cavernous boot space and reasonably big rear seat space.
The Yeti is just perfect for a small urban family of 2 with perhaps 2 youngsters but it is very small if one is used to huge space - for me it is really small in comparison to my Scorpio but thats a call I ve taken on account of my actual need state.
In my Scorpio I could carry all our luggage, my golf bag and one or two of my dogs too without a worry on account of the space in it. In the Yeti, I can take only one dog at a time.
I did compare the XUV and the Yeti and chose the Yeti on account of its superb quality of finish, finesse and general in city driveability, as compared with the XUV. I found the XUV to be too big as a daily use machine.
Ideally one would have a small car for daily runabout purposes and a large SUV for those outstation luggage laden trips, but I am clear I want only one car which has to do the job of an all purpose vehicle. I guess the natural upgrade for my sort of person would have been a Fortuner but I find it way too large for daily use. Too much of a pain. Or I would have certainly liked an Outlander but it is not available in Diesel. The X Trail, Santa Fe and Koleos are brilliant packages but way too expensive. The XC60 could have been a good one, but again, it is too expensive. The Freelander is brilliant but again too expensive in India. Same story with the Audi Q5.
Hence, for me after a great deal of deliberation, I found that only the Yeti fit the bill perfectly as a combi car. It is absolutely right for the two of us and our luggage because the rear seats are folded down to fit our luggage. The parcel shelf is also laden with stuff when we travel.
Had the Skoda fellows released the Octy Combi with 4x4 here in India, then possibly that would have been the car I would have chosen over the Yeti, but as it stands, the Yeti, with all its capabilities and high ground clearance and acceptable pricing, is just right for me. The next upgrade whenever it happens will probably be an Audi Q3 or something of the kind provided it is priced well.
Hope all this rambling helps you to make the right decision.
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
Want to ask both you n Behemoth sir-I have a verna n ritz diesel.Due to ongoing traffic scenario i try not to take out the verna in city as ritz is easy to drive n park.We are a family of 4-me,wifey,and parents!Now recently blessed with a beautiful baby girl.Will it be comfortable to travel all of us in yeti with child in car seat and boot full of child luggage +stroller and our luggage ?
and one more question if you were allowed to keep only one car n sell other two which will you keep?
thanks to both of you for this wonderful n informative thread.......

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd February 2012 at 20:23.
Old 27th February 2012, 14:11   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Some recent updates on my Yeti!

The Low beam range is also extended and the foglights work in conjunction with the main beams to give light on the same coverage area.
This has really improved the overall night time headlighting, which I felt had been a weak area of the Yeti, as it depends on single Optic based Headlight assembly with H4 bulbs, in which only either High beam / low beam can be on at one time.

Regards,
Behemoth

How is night driving in XUV, if we talk about bulbs & high beam/ low beam visions ?
Old 27th February 2012, 16:29   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
How is night driving in XUV, if we talk about bulbs & high beam/ low beam visions ?
Hi Naveen,

In the XUV, the low beams have degraded almost 50% in the past 3 months and low beam is very poor now. The High beam is good and has not seen any degradation. Most of the time, we end up driving in high beam (with both low and high beams active) as low beam alone is not enough to light up the road well.
We plan to take it to the workshop to identify the problem, but so far have not been able to take out time.
Many other users are also facing problems with the XUV low beam.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 21:11   #79
BHPian

Hi, Does the xuv have seperate bulbs for high and low beam ( i can see 2 lights on each side)
I have xenon bulbs in my optra magnum which have both high and low beam in the same bulb and was wondering if i could remove them and fix in my xuv ( taking delivery next week).

Quote:
Hi Naveen,

In the XUV, the low beams have degraded almost 50% in the past 3 months and low beam is very poor now. The High beam is good and has not seen any degradation. Most of the time, we end up driving in high beam (with both low and high beams active) as low beam alone is not enough to light up the road well.
We plan to take it to the workshop to identify the problem, but so far have not been able to take out time.
Many other users are also facing problems with the XUV low beam.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 27th February 2012, 23:05   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Hi, Does the xuv have seperate bulbs for high and low beam ( i can see 2 lights on each side)
I have xenon bulbs in my optra magnum which have both high and low beam in the same bulb and was wondering if i could remove them and fix in my xuv ( taking delivery next week).
Hi Dockap,
The XUV uses separate bulbs and optics for the low and high beams and IIRC H1 and H7 lamps for these. The Optra xenons which you would have are H4 type and would not fit in the XUV.
Regards,
Behemoth
Old 28th February 2012, 12:06   #81
BHPian

Does any one have comparison figures for average servicing costs of the Yeti and the XUV? Also, out of curiosity, what is the cost of replacement of side-view mirror for both the cars in question? Since, in my experience, this would probably be the first thing to be damaged.
Old 28th February 2012, 15:54   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post
Does any one have comparison figures for average servicing costs of the Yeti and the XUV? Also, out of curiosity, what is the cost of replacement of side-view mirror for both the cars in question? Since, in my experience, this would probably be the first thing to be damaged.
The service cost for the Yeti was around Rs 6700 for the first service at 15000 kms. For the XUV, we got the first service at 5000kms done for Rs 4300. The service interval for the Yeti is 15k while for the Xuv is 10k. So on a yearly basis, they are almost comparable. In the Yeti, the ORVMs are around 8.5k and painting etc will land them each around 10k. Dont know the ORVM cost for the XUV, but my guess would be around 7k each. Maybe any other owners who have checked can confirm.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 28th February 2012, 17:07   #83
BHPian

Quote:
The service cost for the Yeti was around Rs 6700 for the first service at 15000 kms. For the XUV, we got the first service at 5000kms done for Rs 4300. The service interval for the Yeti is 15k while for the Xuv is 10k. So on a yearly basis, they are almost comparable. In the Yeti, the ORVMs are around 8.5k and painting etc will land them each around 10k. Dont know the ORVM cost for the XUV, but my guess would be around 7k each. Maybe any other owners who have checked can confirm.

Regards,
Behemoth
Hi,

The charges for the 1st service of the XUV seems kinda too much. I paid Rs.2200 for my 1st service. Would it be possible to let me know what is the break-up of the charges.

For me it was 6 lts of Oil, oil filter and a bolt cost. Thats all. Thanks.

Anand.S
Old 28th February 2012, 20:40   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Hi,

The charges for the 1st service of the XUV seems kinda too much. I paid Rs.2200 for my 1st service. Would it be possible to let me know what is the break-up of the charges.

For me it was 6 lts of Oil, oil filter and a bolt cost. Thats all. Thanks.

Anand.S
Yes, for us, we also got full interior cleaning and exterior teflon coating done, which was probably the difference.
Regards,
Behemoth
Old 29th February 2012, 02:13   #85
BHPian

Quote:
T.....
In the Yeti, the ORVMs are around 8.5k and painting etc will land them each around 10k. Dont know the ORVM cost for the XUV, .....

Regards,
Behemoth
Not sure if the same cost would apply to the ORVM with auto light adjustment, this feature I believe is only in Elegance trim and the mirror and completely different, this might increase the cost of the ORVM, this feature is only available on the driver side, while the passenger side is normal mirror!

-Pramod
Old 29th February 2012, 09:55   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Not sure if the same cost would apply to the ORVM with auto light adjustment, this feature I believe is only in Elegance trim and the mirror and completely different, this might increase the cost of the ORVM, this feature is only available on the driver side, while the passenger side is normal mirror!

-Pramod
Thanks Pramod,
Yes, this may well be the case, as the Ambiente ORVMs are without dimming, and the cost of the Dimming mirrors must be higher.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 29th February 2012, 12:55   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Dont know the ORVM cost for the XUV, but my guess would be around 7k each. Maybe any other owners who have checked can confirm.
I have checked the rear view mirror cost for the XUV W8 and they cost INR 7850.00 without painting. Painting is another 750.00.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 18:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:

Verdict: The XUV5OO is a X-breed SUV which has raised the bar for all vehicles and shown that an Indian manufacturer can make world class designs and produce them well. It is also powered by a very proven and capable engine and makes a very strong story for itself.
If the Yeti was a 9/10 on my earlier scale, the XUV has just walked in and raised the bar to a 15 point scale and scored 11/15 !
Attachment 843815Attachment 844931

However the Cheetah will need to prove itself over time, especially with its electronics and the battle will continue.
We will continue sharing further updates pictures and comparisons of the X-breeds in the next few days!

Regards,
Behemoth

Brilliant start. Maybe an hyperbole - but a good metaphor nonetheless.
Loved it!

And especially the 2nd and last line of your verdict.
'Scale changer' - should be another term associated with the XUV500. It is already a Game Changer in most aspects.

But yes - overall ownership costs, reliability is yet to be seen.

Right now - it has become a 'investment product' for business minded Indians.
Who sell an XUV 6 months or 5000 kms later and yet stand to loose very little.
Old 1st April 2012, 09:19   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Brilliant start. Maybe an hyperbole - but a good metaphor nonetheless.
Loved it!

And especially the 2nd and last line of your verdict.
'Scale changer' - should be another term associated with the XUV500. It is already a Game Changer in most aspects.

But yes - overall ownership costs, reliability is yet to be seen.

Right now - it has become a 'investment product' for business minded Indians.
Who sell an XUV 6 months or 5000 kms later and yet stand to loose very little.
Yes, in terms of design and value for money, the XUV5OO has set a new precedent which was so far unmatched by any other car/ SUV. However, reliability is an issue and seeing the number of niggles which other XUV owners are facing, we are concerned! Touchwood, we have not faced any major issues so far and the only irritants are the steering coupling fouling with the left foot, wallowy ride quality and the audio system hanging once in a while!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 1st April 2012, 18:07   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, in terms of design and value for money, the XUV5OO has set a new precedent which was so far unmatched by any other car/ SUV. However, reliability is an issue and seeing the number of niggles which other XUV owners are facing, we are concerned! Touchwood, we have not faced any major issues so far and the only irritants are the steering coupling fouling with the left foot, wallowy ride quality and the audio system hanging once in a while!

Regards,
Behemoth
Teething troubles.

Common with Indian car firms (read Tata & Mahindra) in any new product where they have tried to outperform themselves.

They are not Six Sigma firms.

BUT - what is heartening is that both these firms are painstakingly responding to customers - individually. And their problems.
Not a deaf ear or complacence.
They are improving step by step.

We had some issues too with the Celb Edition Manza (minor niggles as they are called).
But they were all sorted out eventually.

I hope your future with the XUV500 is full of smiles too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks