Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 10:41   #46
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta :: Text + Video Review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Do I see a colour display in the centre console? I remember seeing a normal red LCD display during my TD as well as Rehaan's review. Has Ford updated to a full colour unit recently?
+1 to that. I was about to ask the same to Aseem. Searched back the thread to check if Aseem has upgraded the music system, but could not find the information. Aseem... please update
Old 9th February 2012, 01:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

The stock LCD display is still red but there are OEM displays available with GPS/Bluetooth/DVD/USB etc with color display from various vendors. These can be ordered from Amazon or Ebay.com for 24k landed.

Updates:
1) I am still trying to figure out how to the door locks work? Even after locking the car using center button anyone can open the door from inside, is there a way to disable this?

2) The clutch of the car is very light. This is a boon as I am switching from automatic and my leg so far is not complaining at all. The diesel torque also helps with fewer gear shifts.

3) A single fuel tank I am guestimating is going to last me 700-800 km. This is a boon given that Honda City full tank was giving me 400 km range.

4) I have seen the armrest for 10k and am contemplating buying it from Ford.

5) The upper dash of the car is very good. The lower dash plastics are questionable. All this vanishes away the moment you turn on ignition and drive the car.

6) The car feels less wider and much more smaller and manouverable than Honda City. Even though on paper the width of Fiesta is more. This is more to do with car's agility, handling, and nibleness that it makes driving the car more managable.

7) Once driving this car has everything you wish for, good suspension, adequate pull, and great music!

8) The car tends to stall if you try to pickup at 0-5 kmph on 2nd gear.

9) Passenger seat has a drawer like Santro underneath the seat. This is useful to keep car papers etc.

10) In isolation it might feel that Fiesta is just a better handler (thanks to better steering and suspension) compared to competition however I wish there was a way to quantify how big the difference in this department is. I strongly suggest a test drive to anyone over bad roads, twisties etc to feel how huge this is.

Items missed:

1) Armrest (add-on costs 10k)

2) Pocket/Phone holder on door panels.

I am so in love with this car. My heart is busy trying to sell my Honda City and buying another Fiesta (diesel). I am not kidding, the evil mind has already started planning !!!

Last edited by aseem : 9th February 2012 at 01:27.
Old 9th February 2012, 02:11   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

I am so in love with this car. My heart is busy trying to sell my Honda City and buying another Fiesta (diesel). I am not kidding, the evil mind has already started planning !!!
Woh,why would you wanna sell off your Honda City and buy another Fiesta?And that too a diesel,again??
Old 9th February 2012, 10:55   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The stock LCD display is still red but there are OEM displays available with GPS/Bluetooth/DVD/USB etc with color display from various vendors. These can be ordered from Amazon or Ebay.com for 24k landed.
So you ordered an aftermarket one and got it installed? How much did it cost? Any details on the part and where you got it from would be appreciated.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:35   #50
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Updates:
1) I am still trying to figure out how to the door locks work? Even after locking the car using center button anyone can open the door from inside, is there a way to disable this?

2) The clutch of the car is very light. This is a boon as I am switching from automatic and my leg so far is not complaining at all. The diesel torque also helps with fewer gear shifts.

3) A single fuel tank I am guestimating is going to last me 700-800 km. This is a boon given that Honda City full tank was giving me 400 km range.

4) I have seen the armrest for 10k and am contemplating buying it from Ford.

5) The upper dash of the car is very good. The lower dash plastics are questionable. All this vanishes away the moment you turn on ignition and drive the car.

6) The car feels less wider and much more smaller and manouverable than Honda City. Even though on paper the width of Fiesta is more. This is more to do with car's agility, handling, and nibleness that it makes driving the car more managable.

7) Once driving this car has everything you wish for, good suspension, adequate pull, and great music!

8) The car tends to stall if you try to pickup at 0-5 kmph on 2nd gear.

9) Passenger seat has a drawer like Santro underneath the seat. This is useful to keep car papers etc.

10) In isolation it might feel that Fiesta is just a better handler (thanks to better steering and suspension) compared to competition however I wish there was a way to quantify how big the difference in this department is. I strongly suggest a test drive to anyone over bad roads, twisties etc to feel how huge this is.

Items missed:

1) Armrest (add-on costs 10k)

2) Pocket/Phone holder on door panels.

1) In case you figure about the locks, please share the details. Otherwise my experience is the same as yours.

2) In case you have driven the older the Fiesta, you can immediately feel the change wrt the fewer gear shifts. Engaging the 1st gear too often used to become a tiring proposition in traffic jams in the older sibling.

3) One tank full would give you approx. 780 kms. on an average.

4) The previous generation Fiesta had an armrest built into the door for supporting the elbow while cruising. I used to find this very useful as I drive only with my right hand. As a matter of habit, my left hand is almost always on the gear shift.

5) Besides the plastics, it is the glaring gaps at joints which look shabby.

6) The car tapers at the back, so apparently that makes it more pliable in traffic. But there is no doubt the car is an excellent handler.

9) I plan to keep a hammer and pocket knife in that drawer with the instances of cars catching fire and central locking getting jammed increasing. I think even a fire estinguisher may be a prudent investment.

In my review I had mentioned that this car clearly begs for a 1.6 motor (1.8 would be preferred though) and I still stick to it.

I suggest you should buy an Ecosport in case want another car from the Ford family. Choice of engines will be between the Ecoboost petrol and the 1.5 Diesel (the same as in Fiesta).

One question : Will installation of the after market unit null the warranty? Did you clarify with the dealership? I have an extended 3 year warranty.

BTW, I shared the pictures of your Kinetic Blue Fiesta with my kids and they immediately reminded me that I had bought a "dull" silver colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Woh,why would you wanna sell off your Honda City and buy another Fiesta?And that too a diesel,again??

Hahaha. He is the victim of Ms. Temptation it seems.

Mods, please merge with my previous post. Apologies.

Last edited by GTO : 10th February 2012 at 23:22. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 9th February 2012, 11:48   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
1)

What's the capacity of the fuel tank??

Mind posting pictures of the joints??
Quote:
Hahaha. He is the victim of Ms. Temptation it seems.
Haahaa,me too.I'm tempted by the Fiesta.Yesterday told my dad about the Voice control feature and he was impressed.But we might have to increase our budget by 2 lakhs to buy the titanium!!

Last edited by GTO : 10th February 2012 at 23:21. Reason: Really no need to type in FULL BOLD. Please avoid, it results in an eyesore
Old 9th February 2012, 14:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) In case you figure about the locks, please share the details. Otherwise my experience is the same as yours.
^^ This is a pain and I need to figure this out. I am sure there must be at least a child lock.

Quote:
2) In case you have driven the older the Fiesta, you can immediately feel the change wrt the fewer gear shifts. Engaging the 1st gear too often used to become a tiring proposition in traffic jams in the older sibling.
^^ I havent driven old Fiesta but I have driven new Figo 1.4 TDCI with same engine. For a car with its figures in bhp that car feels quite peppy. Needless to say its not just outright power but how the power is generated thats most important in day to day driving conditions.

Quote:
^^ At 1400-1500 Rs for tank full 700 + km range is awesome. Its working out to be slightly over 2 Rs per km in Delhi. For somoene who came from Petrol automatic given 11.5 kmpl, its almost like I am driving for free.

Quote:
4) The previous generation Fiesta had an armrest built into the door for supporting the elbow while cruising. I used to find this very useful as I drive only with my right hand. As a matter of habit, my left hand is almost always on the gear shift.
^^ Currently I am resting my hand on the handbreak (as in holding it)... Need to get an arm rest asap (post Finance Minister approval).

Quote:
^^ I feel its more to do with color choice than to do with quality. I found the quality of plastics in other cars in this segment to be inconsistant as well. But lower dash of Fiesta definitely can be improved. But just like Figo sells 10k unit per month and other cars like Beat Diesel, Polo Diesel, Ritz Diesel with better interiors cant keep up with it, caz of its better driving dynamics, I am sure with a little price correction Fiesta will set the charts rolling. End of the day car is meant to be driven and its there where Fiesta simply amazes you.
In any case, those looking at interior quality as a deciding factor should look no further than Verna in making their choice.

Quote:
6) The car tapers at the back, so apparently that makes it more pliable in traffic. But there is no doubt the car is an excellent handler.
^^ Agreed but when planning an overtake you are at the front where the car is widest, still its much more easier than Honda City. I feel its more to with your confidence to place the car inch perfect. In addition the car doesnt suffer from any noticeable understeer.

Quote:
9) I plan to keep a hammer and pocket knife in that drawer with the instances of cars catching fire and central locking getting jammed increasing. I think even a fire estinguisher may be a prudent investment.
^^ I used to keep this my Swift. Now after reading the Vento thread perhaps I should do this for all my cars. But perhaps a scissors not knife.

Quote:
In my review I had mentioned that this car clearly begs for a 1.6 motor (1.8 would be preferred though) and I still stick to it.
^^ More power is always welcome and addictive. But as I had stated earlier Fiesta is more powerful than outgoing Fiesta 1.4 tdci, existing 1.3 ltr Fiats, SX4, Swift, Dezire, CAAR etc. It takes 2 seconds more to a ton than class leading Vento (I am not factoring in Verna due to its poor handling). Now those 2 seconds is mere academic as no one is doing 0-100 burnouts in Delhi streets. The engine as you would agree is no slouch, very driveable, torque kicks in around 1800 RPM and the engine never sounds coarse or complains even at 4000 rpm.

Yes the chasis begs for more as it makes 150 feel like 100. The car gives its best when driven moderately as it surprises you with its power. When you want to drive wild, than maybe it lacks the outright punch of Vento. But really in our driving conditions its purely academic if you are taking 2 seconds more to a ton as our driving conditions seldom allow us to nail the pedal to the metal. What is required 100% of the time is handling and ride. This car sets a benchmark in that area.

In a long drive in any of the cars in this segment, I can garantee that the driver in Fiesta would be the happier and less tired, here is why:

- Best handling in class (in leagues of Jetta and more expensive driver oriented cars)
- Best ride comfoart in class (the car sticks like glue to road but doesnt transfer bad roads undulations to your body and simply absorbs them)
- Class leading ARAI mileage 23.5 kmpl
- Class leading front seat comfort with best side and thigh support
- Best music in class in stock system
- Light clutch operation making it easier for the driver

What I am trying to say is that there is no complete car in this segment. With discount on Vento HL 2011 coming close to 1 lakh the decision to buy either car was not governed by financials, rather it was governed by what the cars offered.

The Vento came in a strong second, but as highlighted it had the following shortcomings:

- Hard clutch operation in B2B traffic
- Hardly any feature in HL compared to Fiesta Titanium Plus (Cruise Control, 4 inch MID, Bluetooth, etc etc.)
- The beige though welcome, however even Vento's plastics are more sutied for Polo. I personally find Honda City's plastics of better quality. I know this is subjective but I can agree that Fiesta's plastics (lower dash) is poor in comparison, however the upper dash has more character. The argument is that Vento's dash would age better, true, caz it already looks aged!
- Average Music System quality
- Best engine in class in terms of speed
- Chasis dynamics tuned more towards comfort. Though much better than Honda City, its just not comparable in this department to Fiesta.
- Cramped footwell.

I have read a comparison done between the two petrol siblings by a member in this forum whose dad had Fiesta and he had Petrol Vento. If you read carefuly when it came to driving the cars, he seemed to be more happy with the Fiesta than the Vento. He complained about the long clutch travel of the Vento, he complained about its handling and he couldn't objectively compare the stock music system as he had the IPL edition music system installed for an additional 47k. Obviously the pictures on the interiors told a different story, specially as he had focussed on the lower dash of Fiesta.

This led the bhpian's come down on Fiesta. What the pictures didnt capture was:

- Driveability
- Long clutch travel
- NVH levels
- Quality of Music Systems

Agreed, with its pricing today, Fiesta should have offered more. Believe you me with a 50-70k price correction this car has the potential of becoming a Figo! When Figo outsells Ritz, that says something caz if it was a Maruti Figo as opposed to Ford, you can expect it would have set the sales chart alight. Because in the things that really matter i.e driveablity, quality of stock music system, features (BT), handling, pricing, FE, Figo is miles ahead of the cars I listed.

Quote:
I suggest you should buy an Ecosport in case want another car from the Ford family. Choice of engines will be between the Ecoboost petrol and the 1.5 Diesel (the same as in Fiesta).
I am actually tempted to buy before diesel price hike. Had someone approach me to buy the Honda City. Lets see how that turns out.

Quote:
One question : Will installation of the after market unit null the warranty? Did you clarify with the dealership? I have an extended 3 year warranty.
The units can be bought on Amazon or Ebay US. Not sure if I can paste links here. There are two units available from Winston and Road Rave. They come with stock wiring and no cuts are required.

Quote:
BTW, I shared the pictures of your Kinetic Blue Fiesta with my kids and they immediately reminded me that I had bought a "dull" silver colour.
Trust me, we debated a zillion times over color and to upgrade the model to Trend by going to white or gray. I settled for this color caz it made it stand out against Figo's. There was a black available in Titanium+ in the yard but it had been lieing there since September. My mother was against blue color as she felt it was too easily identifiable. Next day however she appreciated my choice and stated that this is looking like a "sports car"

To sum it up, it all boils down to the key criteria for you in selecting the vehicle. If it is:

Looks and interiors -> Verna

Engine and Power -> Vento

Driveability -> Fiesta

To qoute in hindi "har kisi ko mukamal jaha nahi milta, kisi ko zami, kisi ko asmaan nahi miltaan..."

Last edited by aseem : 9th February 2012 at 14:51.
aseem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 19:30   #53
BHPian

Congrats Aseem. A wonderful thread for a wonderful car.
As I posted on MAS's thread, when I had gone to check out the Figo at the Ford Showroom, my 7 yr old daughter saw the kinetic blue fiesta on display and got into the car and refused to come out saying lets take it home!!!!
The Blue color is a stunner and If were to take a Fiesta home, it will be blue.
Secondly, I love the overall package as it seems best suited for indian conditions.
The only supposedly drawback is that the rear space is not as much other cars in the same price segment but is adequate IMO. But since its a driver's car, rear space isn't a deal breaker.
In fact, one my friends who was looking out for a premium car (>12 L) told me that you can judge the car from the way the salesperson shows you the car.
For a driver's car, he will start by opening the front side drivers door.
For a chauffeur driven type car, he will start by opening the rear door.
I'm sure all Ford cars belong to the first category and the Fiesta has great features to make sitting in the drivers seat a real pleasure. Who the heck then cares if the rear space is more or less than Vento/etc!!!!
Old 9th February 2012, 20:14   #54
BHPian

I was very eager about the fiesta launch as i own a ford but soon lost the interest owing to the pricing. But your experiences and of course the color of your car brought that eagerness back in to me. Congrats for owning the rare breed! She is a stunner in looks (i forgave the rear bulk as soon as i saw your car) and in performance.

Twice as costly as the figo and being a global car, i feel fiesta must be better built, insulated and refined. I believe the door lock system is common to all fords and will remain like this. I read your car's ICE doesn't support BT & USB. So you play songs through CD's and AUX IN? Mine being a figo EXI doesn't support USB and i find it to be a real pain to write the CD's and control an external AUX device like a Cell phone or an ipod while driving.

As usual to all figo's my car squeaks and rattles but as soon as i get good twisty roads i forget everything and smile ear to ear. And I believe that smile is common to all ford owners.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure there must be at least a child lock.
I found this link on google Child safety locks - Child safety - Ford Fiesta Owners Manual - Ford Fiesta - Ford manuals
I dunno why but this method looks scary to me. May be because of the Vento fire incident.

Regards,
A Figo owner who is jealous of your Fiesta's blue color
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 21:23   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I found this link on google Child safety locks - Child safety - Ford Fiesta Owners Manual - Ford Fiesta - Ford manuals
I dunno why but this method looks scary to me. May be because of the Vento fire incident.
Isn't this common for most of the cars - for the rear doors? Even the Figo should have something similar.
Old 9th February 2012, 21:32   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry

Regards,
This is common in all cars but child locks are only present on the rear doors as the rear seat is the place where your child should be present and fastened in a child seat.
Old 9th February 2012, 22:18   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re: I am in love again...with the New Ford Fiesta 1.5 Tdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Congrats Aseem. A wonderful thread for a wonderful car.
As I posted on MAS's thread, when I had gone to check out the Figo at the Ford Showroom, my 7 yr old daughter saw the kinetic blue fiesta on display and got into the car and refused to come out saying lets take it home!!!!
The Blue color is a stunner and If were to take a Fiesta home, it will be blue...
For a driver's car, he will start by opening the front side drivers door.
For a chauffeur driven type car, he will start by opening the rear door.
I'm sure all Ford cars belong to the first category and the Fiesta has great features to make sitting in the drivers seat a real pleasure. Who the heck then cares if the rear space is more or less than Vento/etc!!!!
Indeed it is a drivers car. I was grinning my way to work driving it. On the same roads in Honda City I used to remember that the car was thrown around on every speedbreaker, bump or broken roads. Fiesta just glides over, and offers 100% more grip, confidence and comfort at the same time. Rear leg room might be less than its segment but the comfortable ride would more than make up for the space for rear passengers. In addition the middle hump is significantly less compared ot Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I was very eager about the fiesta launch as i own a ford but soon lost the interest owing to the pricing. But your experiences and of course the color of your car brought that eagerness back in to me. Congrats for owning the rare breed! She is a stunner in looks (i forgave the rear bulk as soon as i saw your car) and in performance.

As usual to all figo's my car squeaks and rattles but as soon as i get good twisty roads i forget everything and smile ear to ear. And I believe that smile is common to all ford owners.
I couldnt agree more, everyone was eager for this car. The bad pricing made it a dud and envoked a bad response from prespective customers. Without even test driving the vehicle folks rained down on it and the biggest USP of the car, its driveability was never tested by most. However now with the discounts being offered and a price correction of around 50k this car will slowly but surely climb the charts. You just have to drive it once to be a fan of this car. Think of it as a much more mature Figo at 3 lakhs more. Of those 3 lakhs, 70k goto govt for taxes, the remaining 2.3 lakhs get you a boot, better styling, better handling, better engine, better mileage. Any Figo owner will feel at home in Fiesta, and he will feel that Fiesta just magnifies Figo's qualities further by pushing the envelop and bar higher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Regards,
I am so glad I bought this color. Now I plan to take my beauty for a photoshoot on some good roads. It just takes so much cleaning

I was reading kryptonite review of his Skoda Rapid. He compared his car with all cars that I had considered too, wish he had driven the Fiesta, it would have been good to have his take there as well. I could see he is in love with this car like I am... I compared my car to Jetta, he compared it with Ferrari . I am telling you, these cars make you go WILD!!!

Last edited by aseem : 9th February 2012 at 22:21.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 22:28   #59

Congratulations on your fiesta, just wanted to share my experience too. We had also bought the new fiesta some time back and are just amazed by the grunt the diesel engine have, the stereo quality and the economy and the overall driver appeal. We also own the old fiesta, the new fiesta and a honda city. The new fiesta have clocked 14000 kms and one word for it "fab".
Old 9th February 2012, 22:33   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem

....snip. ...

I am so glad I bought this color. Now I plan to take my beauty for a photoshoot on some good roads. It just takes so much cleaning......snip. ......
go to mussoorie,and drive down to dhanaulti at daybreak.
you'll be obsessed with the car after that.
every ounce of handling will be on show on that road.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed