Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2006, 14:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

You can never trust these Car Magazines.
Especially Overdrive - it just writes what mfg wants them to write, in return they get the inside stories and new launch developments...
Old 30th March 2006, 14:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Somebody should teach them how to drive. I'll be happy to do the test for them.

On the other hand, the Scorpio with a shorter and squarer wheelbase should be able to take the slalom better than the longer Safari. High speed stability is another issue.
I was keenly looking forward to your comments on Safari's poor ranking in the ACI test. You seem to be more than happy with Safari's cornering stability and handling. But aren't you using wider rubber? (255/65/16 if I remember correctly, instead of the stock 235/70/16) I am sure that must be contributing to YOUR Safari's stability.
Old 30th March 2006, 15:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
You seem to be more than happy with Safari's cornering stability and handling.
Handling - yes. Its very stable, brakes in a straight line and even the occassional panic stop from 120kmph hasnt upset the vehicle.

Cornering stability is about as good as you can expect a 2.5 tonne monster to have. I have no issues because I have regulated my expectations - dont expect it to handle like a sedan. However, I'd like to see it go better around mountain twisties in 4X2 mode.

I didnt have many issues with the OE tyres - they just squealed like hell so braking sounded scarier than it really was. Plus the whole town would wake up if you took a U-turn at night - the tyres were really loud. The new tyres grip better when braking, too - there are fewer instances of the tyres losing grip on very hard braking (I'm talking about > 100kmph).

If you drove sanely, the OE tyres might be considered sufficient except for the squeals.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th March 2006 at 15:20.
Old 30th March 2006, 15:31   #34
BHPian

Nice to hear good feedback on scorpio by BHPians.Do you think the tyres grip beter b'cos they are tubeless or b'cos of the new suspension?did you feel less NVH than the preceeding crde model?
Old 30th March 2006, 16:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR
Nice to hear good feedback on scorpio by BHPians.Do you think the tyres grip beter b'cos they are tubeless or b'cos of the new suspension?did you feel less NVH than the preceeding crde model?
Pradeep. Steeroid is talking about his Dicor, not about the new Scorpio...?? Not sure where you read that the Scorpio tyres grip better......
Old 30th March 2006, 18:21   #36
BHPian

hi folks,

yesterday I test drove the Dx version and found it to be stable. The grabbing of brakes too has been taken care of. I felt quite comfortable driving at high speed (110) and then braking. It swallowed the potholes quite easily without tossing the passengers. Overall it is good package. AC even at the rear was quite effective.
Old 30th March 2006, 22:41   #37

@manver man did they allow u to press to 110 in a demo car...???
Old 30th March 2006, 22:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Its just a question of which vehicle performs the best in even conditions that's all; there is a timing in which the vehicles complete the test and the one that goes through the fastest is the winner. Read ACI for details of how they went about it.
I understand that, but pitting MUV like the Innova and Tavera against an SUV does not make sense. Of cause the SUV is not going perform as well as a MUV.

If they are going to do comparative tests then at least the vehicles should be of the same type. It is like me doing an off road test and putting a Maruti 800 against a Safari 4x4. It is obvious which vehicle will perform better in such a test.
Old 30th March 2006, 23:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
You can never trust these Car Magazines.
Especially Overdrive - it just writes what mfg wants them to write, in return they get the inside stories and new launch developments...
haha u read the overdrive forums & u can see one of our fellow tbhpians raising voice against overdrive on account of a comparo b/w chevrolet optra & corolla

Last edited by GTO : 25th September 2006 at 21:31.
Old 31st March 2006, 00:00   #40

April issue of ACI has a special report on handling of these vehicles. In this "Rock n Roll" test Safari scores the worst 1.5/5 followed by new and old Scorpio 2/5, 2.5/5 . Tavera gets 3/5 but Innova is the clear winner with 4.5/5 points. My decision to buy Innova is vindicated :-).
Old 31st March 2006, 09:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren
@manver man did they allow u to press to 110 in a demo car...???
suren, it was not a demo car. I was told in Delhi they are yet to start registration as the approval from RTO is awaited (Minister was away). It was a new vehicle. I noticed one thing it was quite noisy outside whereas inside cabin was quiet. over a good car.
Old 31st March 2006, 11:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manver786
suren, it was not a demo car. I was told in Delhi they are yet to start registration as the approval from RTO is awaited (Minister was away). It was a new vehicle. I noticed one thing it was quite noisy outside whereas inside cabin was quiet. over a good car.
They allow you to touch the sky if you make the dealers believe that this is the car you have been waiting for

I did 125 on Scorpio, 120 on Fiesta and same on Aveo...all demo cars..all test drives
Old 6th April 2006, 05:00   #43
BHPian

hi,

i currently own an older scorpio (not the crde version, but not even 2 years old)

i was thinking of changing for the newer one because of the new engine and because they offered some good deals on exchange.

first impressions after a fairly lengthy test drive where - interiors are identical except for a feature here and there.

brakes are vastly, hugely and without doubt improved. the old one has very vague braking, new one is excellent. they are actually quite proud of this and the guy i was test driving it with actually told me to try the braking by slamming on the brakes. braked straight and true.

engine is better, but not enough to warrant a change. power outputs are the same if i recall correctly, just more silent and a little smoother. if i was buying now i would definitely go for the crde, but because i already have one, wont bother.

handling is the same, and although vague, this is an suv! a big high car which isnt supposed to handle the same as a low down sedan.

my scorpio is driven on the highway a lot (drove it goa from bombay for new years). confidence inspiring when driven below 100, which i think is enough for a car like this.
Old 7th April 2006, 19:06   #44
BHPian

hi tvr,

could you please let us know the repairs, if any, required by your car as I am planning to go in for a used one as I believe in less than a years time they would be coming with a long wheel based version.
thanks
Old 8th April 2006, 13:20   #45
BHPian

hi manver,

i haven't had any reason for any repairs as yet..no tyres changed...no brake pads changed...no clutch replacements.
apart from regular services no extra costs so far..touch wood.

and we regularly take the car on the highway..mumbai to pune n lonavla several times. and mumbai to goa once.

the engine is still pretty silent compared to other deisels ive had (tata estate hehe) and ac is extremely effective

a couple of things tho.. if you are buying used..definitely check the brakes to see if they are fine. and check the suspension. i take mine offroad really often and have had no problem, but no harm in checking.

If you need anything else let me know .

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks