Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2006, 18:24   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay

while getting down from OOTY, the brake pads were so heated up that smoke started coming and the wheel cap came off... at some points the vehicle just refused to turn because of the body roll.... some scary moments there... not very stable either........
Jay,

I have done this ghat section in My scorpio , 9 times so far ( 2003 non crde , GLX ) and have never faced the problem you have stated..

One has to use engine braking to control the beast , whie coming down hill.. I have seen people putting the car in neutral and coasting down.. obviously the brakes will heat up..especially in heavier vehicle like scorpio..

and i have seen all sorts of 4 wheelers parked by wayside to cooldown the brakes !!
Old 2nd May 2006, 11:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Hey nice write up Durvasa.....

while getting down from OOTY, the brake pads were so heated up that smoke started coming and the wheel cap came off... at some points the vehicle just refused to turn because of the body roll.... some scary moments there... not very stable either...
I remember when i was a kid, my dad had a fiat millicento (spelling?), wonder if you remember the cute model. We were driving down the ghats from ooty and the same problem occured - my dad was in neutral and the brakes overheated and the grease started melting.

Since then i tell folks to do two things - while driving downhill, use your lower gears to slow down and minimize usage of brakes (come down to 2'nd quite often especially as you approach hairpin bends, and do not build up too much speed on the straight streches before a hairpin bend) and NEVER switch off the engine (especially nowadays) as the steering lock kicks in.. Our cars do not have carbon fibre brakes as the F1 cars ;-)..

I have been using this technique for sometime on my baleno and there is no problem of overheating of the brakes..
Old 3rd May 2006, 15:11   #48
BHPian

Hi just a bit of input, The NMS junks the older leafs in favour of Coils and antirollbars, so the ride should improve, about the handling how much, I have to tet drive it.
Old 6th May 2006, 13:07   #49
BHPian

all is good with the new scorpio, but still it lacks the "cream" to make it a nice luxury car... the mahindra buggers still dont think the scorpio owners deserve a power side view mirrors and ABS brakings! unless they put these into the fully loaded slx model, it still is a tad behind the innova...
Old 6th May 2006, 15:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Somebody should teach them how to drive. I'll be happy to do the test for them.
Ha ha.. I just suggested this in the Safari vs Scorpio thread
Old 2nd March 2007, 09:32   #51
BHPian

Sorry to have to revive this old thread. My b.i.l has just bought a new Scorpio 8-seater. He complains it's very tiring to drive, bounces like crazy, and gives him a backache on long drives. After three weeks he's already thinking of selling it off!
Any cures/suggestions?
Old 2nd March 2007, 09:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Any cures/suggestions?
Hey filcord, the only cure for this is to sell it off as he's rightly decided......maybe he should look at the Safari
Old 2nd March 2007, 09:57   #53
Team-BHP Support

Is the Scorp that bad ? I think many other owners wouldnt complain the same way.
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:23   #54
BHPian

I have a colleague who has one.. He seems to have been numerous small problems - one which was noise from the engine, where they put an additional plate to block the engine noise. There was similarly something in the back seat. So it still looks like rubber band & chewing gum add-ons to the current platform - including the lotus suspension that has not done wonders.

Time to go back to the drawing board and come up with a new platform, learn from the current model problems (i dont fault them for it - i still think m&m have done a great job to move up the quality chain from where they were) and apply it to their next generation. The indian auto design industry is still in its infancy similar to the Indian wine industry. It will take some time for them to get to world standards.
Old 2nd March 2007, 13:41   #55
BHPian

I Don't know i am in love with scorpio Beautiful car,,beautiful performance,, a perfect indian and SUV Good room for Modification love the burnout on Rear whell drive and very responsive Turbo.........Mahindra has shown India can also make Superb Quality.......M&M has setup a plant in U.S as well to compete with American Brands as well.........
Old 1st April 2007, 20:33   #56
BHPian

The new (2006) Scorp is a miracle of sorts. I wonder how Bosch managed to convert an old pushrod technology engine into a common rail version, and that too with surprising results. Lotus did a decent job with the suspension too and all in all the vehicle feels very nimble even in a crowded city. Nimble yes, but also a little bouncy.

But I wish M&M would get it's softer side act together. Anyone riding behind the scorp can see a generous and ugly gap between the rear door and body which is littered with bolts and rivets. The interiors absolutely suck. THe new console for controls, if anything looks worse, and we should hope that M&M retains those design decision makers (I would not blame the designers themselves) so that they dont go mess up some other auto maker's fortunes. The seats, even in the SLx version, look insipid and like something TVS probably made (did they?). At this top end version, you expect leather or good quality faux leather covers. The door handles look like they're out of the 1980s, and not that this adds to any rugged feel.

I'm also disappointed that they are persisting with this platform. The drive position is about 2 inches too high (not for driving but for entry). The vehicle is about 4 inches wider than it needs to be, and the rear leg room sucks even in the SLx version. M&M should have dreamt up something more intelligent to do with the third row seats as well. they should have been smaller in size (like int he Grand Vitara) and folded up to create huge boot space like in the Vitara and the Getz/Marina.

If Hyundai starts producing the Tucson in India, then they could easily drop the prices to the same as the Scorp, and the Tucson, though smaller, has better driving dynamics, and I feel a better engine as well which it borrowed from the failed Elantra. I would have put in my savings on a Scorp a while ago, but it just does not seem to have a few things right.
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

everything said and done the M&M has came a long way in improving the scorpio and has done a great job...but a lot of more has to be done.....
Old 29th June 2007, 18:39   #58

Review Of Mahindra Scorpio By An American Auto Journalist

Here is a review of the Scorpio by an American auto journalist.

Mahindra & Mahindra Scorpio Review

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by DCEite : 29th June 2007 at 20:21. Reason: Moved from Indian Car Scene. Merging with existing thread.
Old 5th September 2007, 13:49   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryairship View Post
Here is a review of the Scorpio by an American auto journalist.

Mahindra & Mahindra Scorpio Review
When he says new Scorpio, he is referring to which model? Did M&M bring out a newer improved Scorpio in 2007?
Old 5th September 2007, 20:50   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When he says new Scorpio, he is referring to which model? Did M&M bring out a newer improved Scorpio in 2007?
I believe he is refering to the same old 2006 new Scorpio, as he mentioned about the '43 new features" advertised by Mahindra.

The article has interesting...the review comments by others on that page are equally interesting!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks