Team-BHP - A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/122796-star-26-000-kms-15-months-counting-4.html)

Here is an update after 2700+ kms.

The mileage has improved greatly with the switch to HP COCO pump. Contrary to popular belief, it is better than Shell. With the last tankfill for city, with moderate to heavy AC usage the mileage was 14.8 kmpl. The highway mileage is around 20.6 kmpl to 20.8 kmpl.

The car can climb really steep inclines, even from standstill, and with AC on. Of course, ny daily drive is max. with 1-3 people.

Seats are comfortable, but not like a sofa. If you want lumber/full back support, it is available only at a particular reclining angle. I did not take it yet for really long drive, but I do not have any reasons to complain for comfort. The bumps are absorbed well.

Built quality is good. I accidentally jumped a speed breaker at moderate speed, nothing happened. The rear left tire also fell in a ditch to the extent that the bumper bottom hit the slabs, but apart from a metallic sound, nothing happened.

Ground clearance is good. Unfortunately I had to drive through some not so good roads with craters, and the car did not scrape its bottom.

Pick up is good with AC off. With AC on, the pickup is slow, unless you press the accelerator for kickdown.

Space is quite good for 2 people. Its not exactly a car where 5 people would like to travel for long distances.

Overall, we are quite happy with the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumannandy (Post 2897664)
With the last tankfill for city, with moderate to heavy AC usage the mileage was 14.8 kmpl. The highway mileage is around 20.6 kmpl to 20.8 kmpl.

Either you have got a rare/special piece or you really have very good technique to extract best FE from an automatic.

I am just trying to follow the advice by forum membes - lift the foot off the accelerator as much as possible. I think HP COCO oil did make some difference. The mileage is actually better than with shell.

The car has got new ovion art leather seat covers, bought from reliance auto zone. Total cost after discount is about Rs. 6.5k. Generally happy with the quality and installation.

A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...-img096.jpg

A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...-img097.jpg

A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...-img098.jpg

A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...-img099.jpg

A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...-img100.jpg

A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...-img101.jpg

A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...-img102.jpg

Last tankful to tankful with a bit of highway driving gave about 13.5 kmpl. Usually the mileage goes higher if the fuel used is from Shell. There was moderate AC usage and a lot of first gear driving on really bad roads.

At 4500+ kms, the car behaves very very well. The engine has opened up more and it drives great on a relatively heavier foot. Will be going in for 5000 kms service soon. Nothing to report as such. My only problem, as reported earlier, is that the indicator lever does not always come back after turning.

Ground clearance is adequate, sudden potholes, bump etc. are not any problems in this car. In fact the car front wheels went into some nasty potholes but it never scraped the underbelly or anything.

Thinking about getting an engine guard, not sure if Maruti offers any.

Just back from a 2692 km long trip. Drove over expressways, mountain roads, high speed over very very bad roads with nosediving at 1ft deep craters. The car took everything in its stride. No rattles, no underbody touch, no suspension issues. The car behaved extremely well with two people on board. Highest speed was 145 kmph, but it was eager to go at higher speeds. the car feels rock solid and stable at those speeds.

Fuel efficiency if driven less than 100kmph is 20.9 kmpl, and is about 17-18kmpl if driven over 120 kmph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumannandy (Post 2958424)
Just back from a 2692 km long trip. Drove over expressways, mountain roads, high speed over very very bad roads with nosediving at 1ft deep craters. The car took everything in its stride. No rattles, no underbody touch, no suspension issues. The car behaved extremely well with two people on board. Highest speed was 145 kmph, but it was eager to go at higher speeds. the car feels rock solid and stable at those speeds.

Fuel efficiency if driven less than 100kmph is 20.9 kmpl, and is about 17-18kmpl if driven over 120 kmph.

Really impressive fuel efficiency figures. I was planning to choose to between A-star AT and Brio AT, guess A-star is a better option. Keep the updates coming.

How easy is the gear shift when needed, say when reversing or parking? I need an A star AT for a relative and he needs really slick gear shifts since due to a medical problem he has less strength in his arms and legs, and I advised him to go for the A Star AT.

Gear shift is really easy, and does not require any struggling.

I guess that is true for any AT.

We are enjoying this car to the fullest. Need to check the fuel efficiency in city after this service.

Time to update this thread.

Third free service is done. Cost Rs. 1200.

It included oil change and filter change. Nothing else was required. Maruti service is very good. The car was ready before promised time.

Current reading is about 10700 kms.

The latest mileage after third service, for 100% city driving with 70% AC on, multiple short trips, was 13 kmpl.

Highway its about 17kmpl to 21 kmpl.

We recently did a couple of highway trips in this car. One was 2700+ kms through a variety of terrains, from expressways to completely broken roads with huge craters. The car handles everything very well. Top speed touched was 145 kmph so far. The ride is not unsettled even at bad roads. Ground clearance is adequate. There were instances where the car nosedived into big craters but nothing happened.

High speed handling and performance is very good. Despite being a 3 cylinder, it is a great car for highly spirited driving, gear changes are awesome. For an idea, we did a spirited drive from Mysore to Bangalore, starting from Mysore at 4p.m. At 5p.m. we were at Maddur, and started from Maddur at 6p.m. and by 7 we were at the outskirts of Bangalore. Its 140 kms of drive with moderate to heavy traffic.

For long drives, we usually stretch ourselves after 2-3 hours of drive.

Overtaking is not a concern and does not require planning. All you need is to floor the throttle. Even at 110 kmph, it shifts down to 3rd at incline, and you can easily complete the overtaking.

The 3 cylinder, however, shows its limitations if you are a very very sane driver.

Overall, very very satisfied, recommend the car to anyone.

10700 kms in about 5 months. I hope that says it all.

Just booked our A-star AT with Bimal @ Bangalore :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by farhadtarapore (Post 3022874)
Just booked our A-star AT with Bimal @ Bangalore :D

Congratulations on your new car. How is your A Star? What is the mileage you are getting?

Got Maruti Genuine Bluetooth module installed. Works great.

At 15150 kms, the car is running great. The only niggle so far is the horn which was replaced under warranty.

Maruti service is awesome Years ahead compared to Tata.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumannandy (Post 3091341)
Congratulations on your new car. How is your A Star? What is the mileage you are getting?

Got Maruti Genuine Bluetooth module installed. Works great.

At 15150 kms, the car is running great. The only niggle so far is the horn which was replaced under warranty.

Maruti service is awesome Years ahead compared to Tata.

Thanks :) I use it only for commuting to work and back. I usually get about 11-12kmpl. Even I am not satisfied with the horn - it sounds like it's going to malfunction any moment. Other than that and the lack of rear space, it is a good car for the city.

Yes, the maruti service is really good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by farhadtarapore (Post 3091385)
Thanks :) I use it only for commuting to work and back. I usually get about 11-12kmpl. Even I am not satisfied with the horn - it sounds like it's going to malfunction any moment. Other than that and the lack of rear space, it is a good car for the city.

Yes, the maruti service is really good.

Great. Get the Maruti Bluetooth module installed. Bangalore traffic is really bad. Coupled with short distance travel, sometimes with full AC I get around 12.5-13 kmpl.

Completed a trip of about 600 kms from Bangalore to Srikalaasti. Wit spirited driving both ways, mileage was around 15.8 kmpl and 16.3 kmpl. Top speed was 120 kmph.

Car drove really well. None of the passengers felt tired. While overtaking, most of the times kick down works well. Sometimes it kicks down to 2nd gear. It worked really well while overtaking those long trailers in 2 lane inclined highways.

For all those visiting srikalahasti, APTDC hostel is best, but it is out of town and tere is very very limited transport. There are many small hotels near the temple but the double rooms are really small. Sai Taj suite is good though, you also have mgm grand and sarvana bhavan which might be good.

While going it took us 6 hours including food and stops. Wile coming it was 5.5 hours including food.

With pre monsoon shower setting in at Bangalore, the car is getting its share of travelling through water filled craters, waterlogged roads, mud and what not. So far so good, except yesterday while negotiating a waterfilled muddy road, there was a mild scrapping noise at speed less than 10kmph approx. There is no visible damage.

Otherwise the car is performing great. Its a completely fill it forget it kind of experience with regular oil changes. The only niggle is horn - out of two horns, one horn sometimes does not work. Maruti replaced it under warranty, but still the problem is there.