Team-BHP - A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/122796-star-26-000-kms-15-months-counting-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumannandy (Post 3265750)
The car as completed more than 26000 kms in about 15 months.

The good

3. FE is about 12.5-13.5 kmpl in city and 17-22 kmpl in highways depending on how you drive. Quite good. These figures are for 100% AC and sometimes at signal I do not switch off if the wait time is less.

Could you pl share some driving tips for Bangalore on how to get 12-13 kmpl in the city.

My A-Star AT has just completed 2000 km and only gives around 9-11 kmpl in Bangalore traffic. I normally use the A/C only 50% of the time, switch off the engine and switch to Neutral at traffic lights, and try to drive with a light foot and coast where possible (bit difficult to do in rush hour traffic). Tyre pressures are checked every week and I keep it at 32psi, fuel filled only at Shell Pumps (Regular Unleaded).

I don't know if I am using too much throttle, but if I keep it very light, the car sometimes takes too long (in my estimate) to accelerate, resulting in angry horns from taxis or buses behind me. Hence sometimes I need to give it more throttle (around 50% I guess). Would that increase fuel consumption. I don't know, after listening to all A-Star owners here, I am seriously wondering why I cannot get more than 10 kmpl on a normal basis.

Congratulations on your car. Please put an ownership review, or did we miss it?

It also depends on the route you take. Most of my routes are along ORR or Ulsoor, which is usually traffic free other than normal signals.

I drive with very very light foot. Yes, the car does take some time to accelerate if you do that, but it is worth I guess. And driving 30-40 kms a day rather than few kms also helps. I usually do not switch off it it is less than 30 secs for all signals.

Please take your car to a long drive. You wouldn't regret it and in process it might help the engine to deliver better FE.

In the recent fill, FE came down to 11.7, 100% AC, city driving, and enthusiastic driving included. Tire pressure was also lower (30psi).

Trying with 33psi this time. Hope this would improve the mileage.

22000 in 13 months is good when you have a Safari and here I was thinking that 18000 km in 20 months on this car is pushing it as its our primary car. It would have been better if driving from Delhi to Gurgaon would have been a little less nightmare and if we got company parking.

BTW did you get the brakes pads changed in the car yet? In my AStar AT the pads were replaced at 13250 kms only!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar (Post 3270746)
22000 in 13 months is good when you have a Safari and here I was thinking that 18000 km in 20 months on this car is pushing it as its our primary car. It would have been better if driving from Delhi to Gurgaon would have been a little less nightmare and if we got company parking.

BTW did you get the brakes pads changed in the car yet? In my AStar AT the pads were replaced at 13250 kms only!

The brake pads are not replaced, and in fact, the service adviser has not mentioned it either. Guess it would be good for another few thousand kms at least.

Parking is a real issue but hopefully with an AT the traffic should not bother you too much.

Yes well my car started skidding in petrol pumps and other places with tiled floors so I went to MASS people and they told me brake pads were only good for another 100 or200 km and so I got them replaced then and there! Some money was paid from Maruti poinys and rest cash so it was not a very hard hit but I am still working on changing my stopping style! Using more coasting and engine braking and less brakes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar (Post 3271022)
Yes well my car started skidding in petrol pumps and other places with tiled floors so I went to MASS people and they told me brake pads were only good for another 100 or200 km and so I got them replaced then and there! Some money was paid from Maruti poinys and rest cash so it was not a very hard hit but I am still working on changing my stopping style! Using more coasting and engine braking and less brakes!

What is the FE you are getting?

I have started using Torque to monitor my FE since last week and it is around 10-11, No AC in Delhi to Gurgaon Ultra Horrible Traffic where I spend 2 hours to cover 36 Kms.

Highway effciency was much better because we covered Delhi to Haridwar (around 200+ kms) in just 12-14 lts. So the FE there was 18 plus No AC. But that was Holi morning so we did the run in just 4 hours. For miles and miles there was not soul on NH 58! (Note to self: Do it in 2014 as well!)

My A-Star is 5 months old and has 2000 km on the odo. Not a single time have I got more than 8 kmpl. The driving is all within the city and my wife uses the car mostly. One no-brainer for this abysmal FE is the short distance the car is being used for one-way, no more than 1-2kms at one go. But I don't know if that can be the only reason for the poor FE or should I get anything else checked? The car is due for the second free service in Nov and I hope the FE should improve post that and with an oil change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rr_zen (Post 3272670)
My A-Star is 5 months old and has 2000 km on the odo. Not a single time have I got more than 8 kmpl. The driving is all within the city and my wife uses the car mostly. One no-brainer for this abysmal FE is the short distance the car is being used for one-way, no more than 1-2kms at one go. But I don't know if that can be the only reason for the poor FE or should I get anything else checked? The car is due for the second free service in Nov and I hope the FE should improve post that and with an oil change.

8kmpl is surely less & falls in the i10 category. Here in Bangalore where the roads are full of potholes and speed breakers, 10 kmpl with 50% AC is easily achievable.

1.) Maintain a psi of 34, I've observed that at low psi (30-31) the car tends to bog down a bit

2.) Has you vehicle seen triple digit speeds? A high speed run (90-100kms/hr) would bring about a change. I've clocked 1900 kms in the 2 months post purchase & consider my car be in the break-in period, I perform a manual kick down once or twice daily to L2 mode at speeds between 50-65kms/hr, this way I make sure the engine is revved to higher rpms.

3.) Fill fuel from the same petrol bunk, do not top up beyond the first auto-cut off.

4.) Be gentle on the gas and allow the engine to work up speeds till 40. The car makes good progress beyond 40.

Quote:

Swap cars so that you can use it for a entire tankful and get a clearer picture of FE under normal driving conditions

Quote:

Not a single time have I got more than 8 kmpl. The driving is all within the city and my wife uses the car mostly. One no-brainer for this abysmal FE is the short distance the car is being used for one-way, no more than 1-2kms at one go.

My A-Star Vxi MT with 12k on the odo gives 12-13kmpl. Daily usage of 700mtrs (includes 2-way) with 100% AC and a 3km trip on Sundays.

Do get yours checked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Bean (Post 3272708)
8kmpl is surely less & falls in the i10 category. Here in Bangalore where the roads are full of potholes and speed breakers, 10 kmpl with 50% AC is easily achievable.

1.) Maintain a psi of 34, I've observed that at low psi (30-31) the car tends to bog down a bit - Sure will check that. Thanks.

2.) Has you vehicle seen triple digit speeds? A high speed run (90-100kms/hr) would bring about a change. I've clocked 1900 kms in the 2 months post purchase & consider my car be in the break-in period, I perform a manual kick down once or twice daily to L2 mode at speeds between 50-65kms/hr, this way I make sure the engine is revved to higher rpms. - Had a long drive once when the car was barely a month old, not after that.

3.) Fill fuel from the same petrol bunk, do not top up beyond the first auto-cut off. - yes I do that all the time.

4.) Be gentle on the gas and allow the engine to work up speeds till 40. The car makes good progress beyond 40.- I am a sedate driver and so is wifey. We are gentle with the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 3272712)
Swap cars so that you can use it for a entire tankful and get a clearer picture of FE under normal driving conditions

- Have to do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amolbh (Post 3272794)
My A-Star Vxi MT with 12k on the odo gives 12-13kmpl. Daily usage of 700mtrs (includes 2-way) with 100% AC and a 3km trip on Sundays.

Do get yours checked.

Sure will do. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Bean (Post 3272708)
1.) Maintain a psi of 34, I've observed that at low psi (30-31) the car tends to bog down a bit

Thanks for these tips. I have been filling 32 Psi till date. Just one question, as I have to drive around 3-4 kms to reach the pump for filling, does that affect the Psi that I should put in, as I have read that manufacturer's recommendations e.g. 32 Psi, is for cold tyres.

Would 34Psi recommended be for cold tyres, or tyres which have got heated with a few kms drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avi550m (Post 3273347)
Thanks for these tips. I have been filling 32 Psi till date. Just one question, as I have to drive around 3-4 kms to reach the pump for filling, does that affect the Psi that I should put in, as I have read that manufacturer's recommendations e.g. 32 Psi, is for cold tyres.

Would 34Psi recommended be for cold tyres, or tyres which have got heated with a few kms drive.

Hi,
I am not OK with the manufacturer's recommendation since it is oriented more towards comfort. For my previous car Baleno, Maruti recommended a psi of 25-26 for 185/65-r14 & the tyre manufacturer's recommendation was above 29 psi depending on the driving condition(city/highway).

The distance between my home and petrol bunk is exactly 1.6 kms, I drive slow(<20 kms), so hoping the tyres are cold for that distance. Check this link for recommended maximum distance a vehicle can travel before filling air.
http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Air-Pressure-in-Tires

34 psi is for cold tyres, it seems hot weather expands the tyre pressure (felt on highway), where as cold weather does the opposite.

I know this may sound stupid, I used to previously carry 2 litres water in my boot & pour them over the hot tyres before filling air.lol:

I am always paranoid about lowering tyre pressure on my car :D, so I make sure the tyres are checked every week.