Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 15:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sharath, congrats on your new Scorpio. Good to see another LX in the fraternity.

I agree with most of your dislikes, but i am surprised about the missing wiring harness for the antenna. I do not remember if it came as a standard fitment from the company when i bought my LX last year, or if it was included by the dealer.

As for the sensitivity of the horn, it becomes more easier with usage, but i would have preferred if the point of contact was not limited just to the edges as is the case now.
Benny, Thanks so much and first of all let me thank you a lot. I had read almost 3 times your post on your silver LX till I got my Scorpio delivered. It was a fantastic thread. I could see most of your driving habits were matching with mine such as self imposed limit of 120kmph, fuel top ups etc.

Regarding Antenna and harness there are two things here. There is no antenna with LX now a days and you cannot even get it fixed outside as there is no wiring also. I purchased an electronic antenna from Tata's (Service center) which I had for my previous Indica as it was very sleek and neat. It costed 250 with wiring as it was used but was looking all new.

And harness for music system was not there and the wires were just left like that with insulation tape tied to their ends.

Horn, yeah I also meant the same as it works only with those corners and becomes difficult while you are turning.
Old 19th July 2012, 16:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
To our surprise they came with a birthday cake and gift to my daughter and made her cut the cake. Overall it was a pleasant car delivery.
That was a surprisingly sweet gesture from the India Garage folks.
All said and done, the Scorpio LX is quite a value for money. Have fun and drive safe!
Hope you have already got used to the driving dynamics of the elephant on red-bull, if not, take it slow.

Last edited by jeeva : 19th July 2012 at 16:12.
Old 19th July 2012, 17:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Scorpio LX variant is a pretty good VFM product. Good you got those Fog lamps. Those somehow complete the look of any car IMO. I am surprised that the fog lamps cost only 2.5k. The one on the Honda City cost about 15k.

As one of your dislikes, you mentioned that interiors are a let down. Could you please post some interior pics?

What all upgrades/mods are you planning to get done in the near future? I believe you would at least need to get a decent HU with nice set of speakers.

Keep the thread updated regularly if you can.

Wishing you a long and safe journey with the Scorp.

Cheers!
Old 19th July 2012, 17:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sharath!

Nice report and very nice pictures, love the one with blue sky as bag

Try getting the cladding done, Scorpio looks nice with the grey cladding...
Old 20th July 2012, 16:52   #20
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review

Thanks everyone for the wishes. I have updated my original post with some more review comments from my side. Please take a look which would answer most of the questions which are asked. Please excuse, since I am new here, i am still getting acquainted with writing reviews.

As far as cladding, I personally did not like too much on black and preferred to be complete black. So, would stick to this.

And yesterday, encountered the first ever issue in my SUV. Though it was very minor, thought of just sharing that here today. While driving back from office, I tried to operate wiper cleaning liquid spray but it did not spray the liquid. I thought it was dried up in tank. But also had the doubt because, the tank capacity for this was indeed very large. When I checked, as I guessed liquid was remaining in the tank but the connecting pipe at the end which connects to spray was disconnected. When I carefully observed, the final rubber nozzle which connects to the spray unit underneath the bonnet was torn off. I have just fixed that now as it is by tying a wire tying small metal wire and have managed to keep it in tact, but there are all possibilities it will get disconnected anytime. Once again, poor finishing qualities from Mahindra. What makes me worried is, if it is disconnected and I try to spray, the water directly falls on engine housing. I am not sure, I would be able to visit the service center only for this but would probably wait till I complete 5K.

Also, the windshield cleaning liquid tank when I opened, I was surprised and glad to see there was a filter there in its mouth. But the joy was very short lived and when I gently touched that filter, it went inside the tank and started floating. It was a 15 minutes circus later to pull it out and place it there again. Here also I feel it will go inside once again anytime!
Old 21st July 2012, 16:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, the windshield cleaning liquid tank when I opened, I was surprised and glad to see there was a filter there in its mouth. But the joy was very short lived and when I gently touched that filter, it went inside the tank and started floating. It was a 15 minutes circus later to pull it out and place it there again. Here also I feel it will go inside once again anytime!
Congrats on your Scorpio. I liked all the photos clicked by the riverside.

Scorpio is a great vehicle. I like Scorpio a lot and black happens to be my favorite color too.

The only thing frustrating on a 1 million rupee car is that niggles and silly things like hose not connected et all. I really wish the Quality of finish improves a lot on Mahindras.

Wishing you many safe miles ahead
Old 30th July 2012, 20:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on your purchase Sharath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sharath, congrats on your new Scorpio. Good to see another LX in the fraternity.
Thanks, Devdath and Benny.
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-img_1164.jpg

The Scorp completed 2000Kms and is performing good, rock solid and smooth sailing. Have done 3 long drives till date and another is planned in coming weekend.

The power it delivers, the mHawk turbo charging sound it makes while to press the throttle is my major favourites of this black beast. It gives me a feeling that I am in total command. Overtaking and ghat roads are just breeze.

Mileage is: 9 to 10Kms in city traffic. It delievered 11.6 on highway + ghat with varying speed between 60 to 120 and cruising speed of 110. While returning from last weekend trip, after the ghat I did 250 Kms on highway with cruising speed of 80 minimum and 100 max. It has given me 13.6, Always AC ON.

Niggles:
1. The hose which connects windshield wiper spray part and pipe has torn and had come out. I have fixed it temporarily.
2. Creeky noise from rear door when scorp runs on any hump or vobbles while passing on a pot hole slowly.
3. Hard to use door opening locks (all doors).

Few photos taken during weekend trip to Charmadi:
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0308.jpg
ATTACH]963648[/ATTACH]
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0472.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0463.jpg
I Havent taken interior photos yet, Shall post them once I take. Did a third major shopping after autocop and ICE, the floor mats from Reliance Auto zone. Paid 1300/-.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0321.jpg  

Old 31st July 2012, 08:17   #23
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Scorpio! Its a fantastic vehicle and it will serve you well. My Scorpio is 8 years old and is still fantastic! I'm getting my XUV delivered tomorrow, but still keeping my Scorpio

Edit: Please get rid of the chrome. Its overkill!!

Last edited by NIP : 31st July 2012 at 08:20.
Old 31st July 2012, 08:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Niggles:
1. The hose which connects windshield wiper spray part and pipe has torn and had come out. I have fixed it temporarily.
2. Creeky noise from rear door when scorp runs on any hump or vobbles while passing on a pot hole slowly.
3. Hard to use door opening locks (all doors).
1 - Get that hose replaced and it's free of cost.
2 - Unlikely that its the rear door. However get the bottom clamp greased , this is the clamp which holds the bottom of the door to the floor.
In my case, it was a creak from one of the rear bench seats. Get them checked too.
3- This usually when you try and open the doors from the inside and another Achilles heel, when it comes to the Scorpio. Ask the service center guys to loosen the lock cables a wee bit or even grease them properly.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 10:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Congrats on the Scorpio! Its a fantastic vehicle and it will serve you well. My Scorpio is 8 years old and is still fantastic! I'm getting my XUV delivered tomorrow, but still keeping my Scorpio
Thanks!! Congrats on XUV. Keep us updated about the ownership with pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
1 - Get that hose replaced and it's free of cost.
2 - Unlikely that its the rear door. However get the bottom clamp greased , this is the clamp which holds the bottom of the door to the floor.
In my case, it was a creak from one of the rear bench seats. Get them checked too.
3- This usually when you try and open the doors from the inside and another Achilles heel, when it comes to the Scorpio. Ask the service center guys to loosen the lock cables a wee bit or even grease them properly.
Thanks a bunch RJ. Would keep in mind all your suggestions on rear door and about lock cables during my problem reporting at first service after 5K. Your observations are appreciable, as I am also doubting between either rear bench seats or door clamp. And you are spot on, it is when you tru and open from inside.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st July 2012 at 12:08. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:

I just put 2 rounds of insulating tape on the rear door clamp- and it worked !!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st July 2012 at 12:08. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 31st July 2012, 15:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the Scorpio. It looks good in Black.

How is the ride quality and body roll in the new Scorpio? We had a Scorpio in family (previous model) and nobody wanted to sit in the middle row. Otherwise, the vehicle was good.
Old 31st July 2012, 17:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Congrats for the Scorpio. It looks good in Black.

How is the ride quality and body roll in the new Scorpio? We had a Scorpio in family (previous model) and nobody wanted to sit in the middle row. Otherwise, the vehicle was good.
Thanks.

Ride quality for driver and front passenger is very good and comfortable. For rest of the passengers certainly there would be body roll. Again, it depends on which SUV's you are comparing with. If you compare with Luxury cars, you might find this more in Scorp.
Old 7th August 2012, 00:08   #29
BHPian

Scorpio had its first injury! :( . Had driven the scorpio last weekend to coorg. Did some terrain drives and also offroading. Majority part of these were in heavy rains. While climnbing down from the peak of Mandalapatti hill, due to opposite jeep i just dared to take my scorp a bit more towards my left making the way for jeep. A small creek sound and immediately stopped the vehicle. Then I did this mistake of taking the scorp reverse thinking something terribly wrong near left front wheel. Once again a creek sound and later when i saw, the bumper had run on a strong spiky plant and was struck in bumper mesh. When i reversed the scorp, it pulled the bumper front which caused a 2 inch break in the bottom and left jaw came out and was hanging up! Assume your left fog lamp was facing 45 degree towards sky. Dint think too much and just carried it same way till Blr.

Morning decided to check with a known local mechanic if he can just push it down and fix it. He just suggested me to replace it as it was new vehicle and told stories like it needs lot of work like removing this bend that bend etc etc. i said ok and silently left. Called up india garage peenya showroom and after talking to almost 4 people, spares, service, insurance, front office, they asked me to come. And told new bumper would be around 8.5k and suggested me to claim. I just thought of double checking and dropped into Chrome motors near BHEL. Was fortunate to meet Mr Abhilash there who just took the scorp inside and with the help of two other mechanics he just drove the scorp on to a pillar which helped bumper to come back to normal position. Mechanics helped with fixing bigger screws and nuts near that broken area. It looked 99.9% perfect in shape. And I was feeling so relieved. Abhilash also replaced the windhsheild spray hose which was broken. All these were done and I was out within 20 minutes. Full marks to Abhilash.

Scorp is now crossed 3000 in this trip. I shall post few more pics shortly here where it did terrains and crossed a small water stream.
Old 7th August 2012, 13:47   #30
BHPian

Congratulations.
Scorpio in Black, that looks best IMO.

Surprising to note two points missing for a vehicle that sets us back by a million rupees. filter and antenna / wiring is such a basic thing; that it would not even strike a customer to check for. Why Mahindra, why?

Sharath - though you've mentioned it in the post earlier; asking for the sake of satisfying myself -- during your trip to Coorg; did you feel the need for ABS on winding wet roads?

BTW -- we are almost sailing in the same boat - me too would exchange my 2006 Indica Xeta, almost similar mileage on odo when I go hunting for bigger car. The process is on.

Edit : please please remove that chrome on the rear lights. It just does not suit the character of the beast.

Last edited by advaitlele : 7th August 2012 at 13:49.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks