Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 09:47   #91
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Coming from a Jetta owner, the pics and features of the Elantra are drool worthy... My biggest grudge with Hyundai cars has been their ride quality at high speeds - if that's fixed, then this should be THE car to buy in the D segment...

And the last pic in the first post is a masterpiece.. Kudos to your photography skills...

Last edited by ipsanand : 1st August 2012 at 09:48. Reason: additional comment i missed adding earlier.
Old 1st August 2012, 10:31   #92
BHPian

Excellent review supported with great pics. May I ask who was the photographer? The panning shots have come alive!
Not sure if anybody has already answered that one so far.

The composition of some reminds me of the opening shot of the New Jetta review (shot by Rudra sir).

Last edited by karpusv : 1st August 2012 at 10:33. Reason: Added clarification point.
Old 1st August 2012, 10:47   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalingam_a View Post
Thanks tsk ji.

An Excellent review! I was so thrilled to see the picture of the new Elantra in the Hyundai's website last week impatiently and this review is a reliever. Great attention to detail and I personally loved its interiors. Needless to say the fluidic design is now the mantra of Hyundai and is almost identitical in all its sedans. As GTO pointed out, I think the name should have been done away with for its original plate. Keeping my fingers crossed for the pricing though, hope they get that right this time to make this a grand hit. Thank You !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Outstanding review but the pics made my day, they are just out of the world. Detailed review as always. My take on this new fluidic creation - the looks are to die for, Hyundai has set an example of how to turnaround from a company making mediocre designs to one making designs that cannot just be beaten, unbelievable stuff. Interiors are great too, lack of MID, sunroof are missing features for sure, but they have made it up with others like the ventilated seats - segment first i guess.

Good to hear that they have sorted out the handling to an extent and it is relatively better as compared to others in the fluidic family.

Curious to know the pricing of this one. Hoping that it would be competitive and won't exceed the Cruze which is the more VFM (or is it after the face lift?) offering in the segment.
Pricing is really the key for this car. They have to undercut the competition. When you want to bust a segment, you have to shake it. For example, XUV from Mahindra shook the luxury SUV segment. The next competitor costs 40% more in the premium SUV segment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
Hey All!

This is my first post ever in Team-Bhp, as I finally got my membership approved! Good to be part of you all.

I have been following the launch of the Elantra for a long time, almost since Nov 2011 and have gathered quite a lot of info about it. Though the lack of sunroof and a 1.6 engine instead of 1.8 or 2.0 really does bother me, but other than that this car is just fantastic! I'm in love with it, since I first laid my eyes on it. Probably I will be buying this post a TD.

And hey, just a heads-up, I feel the MID is missing in the Media edition of the cars and it will probably be there in the launch version.

Also, few things I need to ask:

1. Isn't the A/T gear little different to look at, with the leather cover instead of the slots, is that again because its a media edition?
2. Is the Petrol version faster than Diesel - 0-100?
3. What about rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights, are they there?

Again, I am really happy to be part of this community and I look forward to contributing as time allows.

Till then,
Keep it real/
Could not test rain sensing wipers, however, the Auto headlights are standard. Infact, I thought they are a fairly common feature in this segment now. My bad, I did not mention it in the review.
As for Media cars, even Hyundai told us these are not production models. They were actively taking feedback also from the reviewers. I hope they atleast give a MID, if not a sunroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
Coming from a Jetta owner, the pics and features of the Elantra are drool worthy... My biggest grudge with Hyundai cars has been their ride quality at high speeds - if that's fixed, then this should be THE car to buy in the D segment...

And the last pic in the first post is a masterpiece.. Kudos to your photography skills...
Yes, the high speed dynamics are miles ahead of the Verna
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Excellent review supported with great pics. May I ask who was the photographer? The panning shots have come alive!
Not sure if anybody has already answered that one so far.

The composition of some reminds me of the opening shot of the New Jetta review (shot by Rudra sir).
Thanks! I am glad you liked the pics. I am the photographer.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

You have outdone yourself Tanveer. I knew you were a brilliant photographer from your European Tour thread but this is easily the best looking Official New Car Review threads on Tbhp. Kudos.

Coming to the Elantra. It is a looker no doubt but Hyundai hasn't been very successful with its premium segment offerings here in India. Will this be a game changer? I still have my doubts. Some observations -

1. Ventilated seats are a must for Indian environment. Kudos to Hyundai for this.
2. Why does the rear seat not fold flat for carrying longer luggage? An oversight.
3. Same with FE figures for the MID. A must for the Indian psyche.
4. Hyundai engines are not the most fuel efficient around. I hope it changes with the current breed.
5. Nor are they performance busters. But anything over 120~140kmph on our highways is not needed in any case.
6. Your head touching the rear roof lining is a cause of worry. But then you are 6'2", much over our Indian average height.
7. You have commented that the handling and highway performance has greatly improved in the Elantra which is supposedly the biggest weakness in the Verna. I still have to be convinced about that.
8. Longevity and durability have been the other Achilles heal with the Hyundais. Hope that changes too.
9. Too much of a family look (the fluidic design) may be a dampener rather than an asset. I still think that the new Sonata is the best looking fluidic design till date. But the lack of diesel has seriously hampered its sales. Even the Petrol Superb's are selling more than it.
10. Can it give the Toyota Corolla, Skoda Laura et al, the run for their money? Hyundai still has some way to go for that IMHO. They are very good to look at but are let down by their below-the-skin engineering.

Overall it seems a well rounded mid luxury package. Hope the the target audience feel so too.

Last edited by dkaile : 1st August 2012 at 11:15.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:29   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

So another fluidic car from hyundai - now all their cars look the same which I don't like...(it was the case with Skodas until some years ago but I liked that timeless classic shape, this fluidic thing does not click for me). Of course, this is much more livable that the shape of the older Verna :-)

Regarding fog lamps - aren't all fogs supposed to be designed this way (to light up the sides so that you can see the edge of the road, divider, etc)? At least the ones on My Tucson and Laura do the same.

Even the headlight level adjuster that I have seen works only on low beam - I thought that was the standard.

Ventilated seats is good. Otherwise leather can be a pain in our climat.

Is the petrol engine a direct injection one or just regular MPFI?

BTW, is the steering really better than the Verna? I test drove the new Verna some months ago and steering was so vague and light, I still shiver when I remember that day:-)

Last edited by anandpadhye : 1st August 2012 at 11:32.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:33   #96
BHPian

Quote:
10. Can it give the Toyota Corolla, Skoda Laura et al, the run for their money? Hyundai still has some way to go for that IMHO. They are very good to look at but are let down by their below-the-skin engineering.

Overall it seems a well rounded mid luxury package. Hope the the target audience feel so too.

I dont know about skoda Laura but I can guarantee its much better than corolla.
Got to drive the Elantra for couple of days here in Dubai and having driven the new genraion corolla for sometime , the Elantra is a better car in terms of drivability , features and comfort.

On a seperate note regarding the reliability of hyundai, Dubai Taxi have a mix of corolla and sonatas (old generation ) and as per drivers the sonata drives better than camry but the auto gearbox of sonata shows issues after about 400000 kms whereas the camry usually does not give any issues until 450000 or 500000 kms.Other than this both cars are reliable which shows how far hyundai has achieved in terms of reliability.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st August 2012 at 11:35. Reason: fixed quote
Old 1st August 2012, 11:33   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
4. Hyundai engines are not the most fuel efficient around. I hope it changes with the current breed.
The 1.8 petrol will be reasonably efficient, at par with competition. As for the diesel, expect an FE close to verna

Quote:
6. Your head touching the rear roof lining is a cause of worry. But then you are 6'2", much over our Indian average height.
thats the middle raised seat. I have mentioned, that its strictly a 4 seater. 5th person is in great discomfort. But 4 people in the car are seated in great comfort

Quote:
Its already giving the Corolla a run for its money in the US. So I do not have doubt on the quality front. Anyways, it will be better than the problematic Europeans
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 11:59   #98
R17
BHPian

Great review, Tanveer - extensive, informative and awesome pics to boot.

Quick query - A while back I was informed by a Hyundai rep that there will be 3 variants in Diesel - base, SX and SX AT. Is this consistent with the information you have ?

As a bunch of people have highlighted, if they can price the base diesel under the Cruze and price the SX MT version such that its on-road price is approx 2 L under the Jetta Comfortline (which retails for 17.9 L on-road in Mumbai), this one should fly off the shelves.

Last edited by R17 : 1st August 2012 at 12:00. Reason: grammar
Old 1st August 2012, 12:06   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
Great review, Tanveer - extensive, informative and awesome pics to boot.

Quick query - A while back I was informed by a Hyundai rep that there will be 3 variants in Diesel - base, SX and SX AT. Is this consistent with the information you have ?

As a bunch of people have highlighted, if they can price the base diesel under the Cruze and price the SX MT version such that its on-road price is approx 2 L under the Jetta Comfortline (which retails for 17.9 L on-road in Mumbai), this one should fly off the shelves.
Media is never given base version. So we had top end M/T and top end A/T for TD. The variant badging said SX.

Only when the official launch is announced, we will know what will be removed in Base.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:14   #100
BHPian

Very nice review, Tanveer.

From the looks, I too am on the "can't differentiate between Verna and Elantra" bandwagon. It looks awfully similar and could be seen only by the trained eye, I suppose. In terms of the equipment list, since you mentioned its a pre-prod car, I assume they'll stick in a MID (maybe software company is delaying project! )

In terms of the rear seating, did you notice how they've designed the child-seat belts or retainers? We have a 2 year tornado we call our child, and for long drives, unless he sees the road, he's isn't happy. How's the visibility from the rear seats, especially through the side windows? No claustrophobia?

Were you able to test out the music system? Any feedback on the connectivity options and sound?
Old 1st August 2012, 13:07   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Is this new 1.8L petrol engine a direct injection unit?
If not, it would be just as efficient as the next-door cars like Corolla, Civic...

In case of diesels, all CRDi's are inherantly very efficient, so it's hard to differentiate between them on FE grounds.

My real worry about the Hyundai cars is the steering - the one on verna is really lousy.
Old 1st August 2012, 13:13   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Very nice review, Tanveer.

From the looks, I too am on the "can't differentiate between Verna and Elantra" bandwagon. It looks awfully similar and could be seen only by the trained eye, I suppose. In terms of the equipment list, since you mentioned its a pre-prod car, I assume they'll stick in a MID (maybe software company is delaying project! )

In terms of the rear seating, did you notice how they've designed the child-seat belts or retainers? We have a 2 year tornado we call our child, and for long drives, unless he sees the road, he's isn't happy. How's the visibility from the rear seats, especially through the side windows? No claustrophobia?

Were you able to test out the music system? Any feedback on the connectivity options and sound?
Visibility is good, only rearward visibility is compromised. There is a seat belt for the center passenger. Its called lap belt. No worries about sticking car seats, these are basic things which need to be there in the car if it is to be sold in the developed world.
The stereo system offers USB/Aux/Ipod connectivity, and sound quality is average, similar to most stock stereo systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Is this new 1.8L petrol engine a direct injection unit?
If not, it would be just as efficient as the next-door cars like Corolla, Civic...

In case of diesels, all CRDi's are inherantly very efficient, so it's hard to differentiate between them on FE grounds.

My real worry about the Hyundai cars is the steering - the one on verna is really lousy.
No its not DI. So FE of petrol will be in the same league as the competition
Old 1st August 2012, 13:18   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
The comfortline jetta retails for around 19.66L OTR in Mumbai after the excise increase post budget. I am very sure Hyundai will undercut this. The question is by how much.
Old 1st August 2012, 13:32   #104
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The comfortline jetta retails for around 19.66L OTR in Mumbai after the excise increase post budget. I am very sure Hyundai will undercut this. The question is by how much.
Sorry - I was talking about the Trendline variant which retails at 17.9 L and I'm hoping that the SX undercuts it by 2 L.
Old 1st August 2012, 13:54   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Pricing is really the key for this car. They have to undercut the competition. When you want to bust a segment, you have to shake it. For example, XUV from Mahindra shook the luxury SUV segment. The next competitor costs 40% more in the premium SUV segment!
+1 to that, just that in this case they dont have much room to play around as they have to keep the pricing within verna and sonata and at the same time try and better the segment leaders (in terms of pricing). They have to squeeze 6 variants within the two cars which is around Rs. 7 lakhs. (verna crdi AT 11.7 ex mumbai and sonata MT 19.4 ex mumbai)

Most Viewed