Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 13:56   #106
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda must have had a heart attack after seeing the new Elantra. This is the boring, plain-jane latest generation Civic. Couldn't Honda have done better?

Attachment 963485
I agree. The latest Civic seemed a step backwards when I saw it the first time considering how revolutionary the old gen Civic was seen as. At the very minimum, manufacturers are expected to be evolutionary in product life cycle. Very very disappointing.
Old 1st August 2012, 13:57   #107
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Super Review TSK. This will be a very sensible option to the Civic, Corolla, Laura, Jetta, Cruz segment.

Diesel
6 Speed AT
Feature rich - has all the stuff one really needs.
Will be more reliable than the Europeans and as much as the Japs.
Looks on par with the best in the segment and is fresher.

A slightly more powerful 2.0 diesel would have appealed to the drive lovers buts this is probably the most practical option in it's segment and ticks most boxes.
Old 1st August 2012, 14:11   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thanks! I am glad you liked the pics. I am the photographer.
As usual it is a fine review but the pictures this time take things a few notches above and is genuinely a wonderful attempt to raise the bar of expectations for upcoming reviews.

I like the Elantra 2012. In fact it looks much better than almost all its competitors which look either too mundane or dated or just quirky (Fluence). The Fluidic design brings with it a liveliness in this segment which was missing earlier. Hyundai have done a great job in offering both the manual and auto options for both its engines and am sure there is no reason for the car not to do well in the current market scenario. The diesel auto is the one which should find majority of buyers especially if priced attractively and below the Cruze auto.

The ventilated seats with the cooling feature is such a boon to have in a climate like India. I wish other manufacturers too bring in this feature and its reach is spread to the B+ segment as well or if nothing I wish if Hyundai sells the kit separately which can fit in all cars.
Old 1st August 2012, 19:11   #109
BHPian

I see a lot of people dissapointed about the smaller 1.6L engine but frankly speaking it may be a great move by hyundai. it will help hyundai to price it really competitively and might just shake up the segment. i am sensing some game plan from hyundai. and it isn't a bad a performer going by the reviews. so i think its a great move by hyundai.

from where i see, if hyundai price it well which i assume it most definitely will, it hardly has any competition. there is no diesel AT with all the bells and whistles in that price range. its only competition is the Skoda Laura ambition DSG, which is base variant and too bland in comparison and the Chevy cruze, which again i think will be little expensive than elantra and also it may fall short on the interior space and quality front.

infact i had almost made up my mind on the Mahindra XUV W8 but now maybe i'll have to wait for the Elantra as the Diesel AT is just too tempting even though my requirement is more of a spacious crossover and a long distance cruiser!
Old 1st August 2012, 23:05   #110
Team-BHP Support

Sooper Review TSK 5*

Considering its a premium offering, missing out on one touch power window is a feeling of being short charged. Not a deal breaker, but still...

I personally find the design a bit too done up, both inside & outside.

That AT lever appears meaty & really good.

At the first glance I thought the pics were Hyundai Official ones, to realize you penned & shot it.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st August 2012 at 23:14.
Old 2nd August 2012, 00:36   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sooper Review TSK 5*

Considering its a premium offering, missing out on one touch power window is a feeling of being short charged. Not a deal breaker, but still...
The drivers side power window is One touch. However, the others are not.
Incidentally, in the safari, all power windows are one touch auto down.
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:55   #112
Senior - BHPian

Great review Tanveer Rated the thread 5 stars.

Its a great looking car from Hyundai and I am in agreement with all that its the best fluidic design. Avante had grabbed eyeballs from all the corners when it was launched.

But its still very strange, that Hyundai left out the small important feature like the MID from its C+ offering! Even the premium i20 looses it! Apart from that, I think the car is great and if priced competitively, the Corolla and Civic are in for hard times.

**EDIT**: Just read that its not the production based cars, hope they offer the MID in it.

BTW, great pics

Last edited by _raVan_ : 2nd August 2012 at 10:02.
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:57   #113
BHPian

Regarding the rear center seat: I was wondering why is there no headrest for the center passenger and then I wondered could it be because its a media vehicle... and guess what, yes!

Check their official TVC for confirmation (pause at 00:06):
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:52   #114
BHPian

The best looking Hyundai ever in my opinion. In fact it is so good looking and dynamically sound that I wouldnt mine putting my money down on this over a Honda or a VW. I have always hated Hyundai's for their choppy handling and shabby quality. Infact even the Verna was a huge let down for me. But this, this is a different beast.

Oh how I pray that they hadnt left the last fly in the ointment and had pushed atleast a 1.8 L Diesel under the hood. Ah! if only life and choice were so simple.

One issue I see a lot of owners facing is people confusing their cars for a Verna. As an owner thats the last thing I would want to hear.
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:30   #115
BHPian

Hyundai has a definitive strategy by putting the same engine as the verna. Expect really aggressive pricing sub 13 lakhs base diesel. This would really shake up the D segment.

As regards the similarity to the verna, i feel that both these machines would be quite different on road and the Elantra would not be mistaken as the Verna (at least i hope it wont).

Based on the amazing review by Tanveer (thanks!!!), planning to buy one for the family. We are looking to upgrade from the City. Fingers crossed on the pricing.
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:04   #116
Senior - BHPian

If I remember correctly, Hyundai had showcased the right-hand drive Elantra in Auto Expo with Sunroof and the rear middle seat head rest. So I guess the production version will incorporate some additional changes from the Media review version.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:50   #117
BHPian

With so many changes expected between the Media Edition and Production Edition, wonder if Hyundai would also change some things under the hood-viz. the Suspension? can TsK do one more review with a Production Edition please? A shorter one would do to confirm the same opinions.
Old 4th August 2012, 04:34   #118
BHPian

For a more detailed intro, check this video out (more in the same channel) which is basically an introduction/video manual of Elantra's Driver's POV. But mind it, its the USA version, so some features might not make it to India:

The MID in Elantra does not show real time fuel mileage,and that takes me to my next question, which cars in D1 segment in India do that?

I have another questions Tanveer:
Ventilated seats mean they ventilate air based on the temperature set in the Climate Control right? For e.g. During winters, we can get warm air from the ventilated seats?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th August 2012 at 09:35. Reason: merging posts
Old 4th August 2012, 09:38   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post

The MID in Elantra does not show real time fuel mileage,and that takes me to my next question, which cars in D1 segment in India do that?
The Altis, Cruze, Laura, Honda City, Jetta all have a detailed MID that displays, avg. FE, instantaneous FE, range till empty and other such details.

The Honda Civic has only an overall avg. FE display added from late 2010 model onwards.
Old 4th August 2012, 09:44   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Its already giving the Corolla a run for its money in the US. So I do not have doubt on the quality front. Anyways, it will be better than the problematic Europeans
Great review Tanveer.

Little OT here, but just FYI: Elentra's sales is decent and so far, this is the only Elentra model that is giving some competition to Corolla. BUT, it is not giving Corolla run for its money as far as Sales Numbers are concerned. Corolla with its lethargic 4 speed AT and less features than Elentra is selling more than Elentra (Little cheaper with more features). Below are the latest sales no. from WSJ:

Vehiclel July 2012. YTD
Corolla: 23,640. 175,366
Elentra: 18,512. 116,281

However, I can see Elentra giving tough competition to D1 crowd including Corolla, based on features that they are offering.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 4th August 2012 at 09:53.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks