Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 20:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: White Skoda Laura vRS - An Owner's Take

This car should go to your mother. That is all I can say. From a Polo to a Laura vRS. That is some jump and if it were not for your mother encouraging you, you would be in a hatch. I find it quite surprising that the Laura vRS has some takers. It is not a rare car to find on Bangalore roads. Even then, this group of owners are true car lovers. Welcome to the turbo charged club.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 12:19   #17
BHPian

Congratulations Azeem on the new baby(or should I call it a beast). I had the pleasure of driving a vRS a while back and was completely blown away by the way the car shot off like a rocket and the way it handled corners. The only thing that I would like to tell you is to drive carefully coz a famous man once said "with great power comes great responsibility".
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 14:03   #18
BHPian

Congrats Azeem. Wish you many happy and safe miles ahead.

I'm glad to come across people who still respect petrol engines despite almost entire country lining up for diesels.

Also, let me say that you vrs owners are one lucky bunch. I had to settle for an ambiente TSI last year after waiting for vrs launch for over a year.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 00:22   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on the great buy. Hope to see some modifications in the near future.

Also, do get some 17" or maybe 18" alloys + Dark Tints, the car would love AMAZING.
abhayshanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 02:30   #20
BHPian

Thank you folks for your wonderful wishes.

Here is week 1 update:

Driven the car for a little over 500 kilometers all within Bangalore city. I plan to drive to Calicut over the weekend (in a few hours).

Expenses so far:
  • Two Full tanks so far, one at the time of purchase - last week and one yesterday. Calculated mileage (tank full to tank full) was about 8. Which in my opinion is fantastic considering that there have been several pedal to the metal demos of the cars capabilities.
  • Topped up the tank today again after driving in terrible Bangalore for about 85 kilometers. This full tank was a good indication of 'worst' mileage in worst case scenario traffic conditions. Returned about 7 Kmpl. Impressive.
  • One can of Shell Helix 5W40 (Rs. 1,200)
  • Two car washes - Rs 150 each. My OCD habits means that i land up paying a good tip after literally testing the guys patience.
  • IND number plates: Rs 1,200. (Got the green label one) to match the green on VRS logo and Skoda logo
  • SD Memory card 16 GB: Rs. 700
Other points (the one's i realize as i keep driving the car):
  • The Handling is just brilliant, love the way this car changes directions and even better is to see the way the Xenon's struggle to cope up at times
  • Passenger seat belt does not roll back into position with the tension one would expect. You need to play with it a little.
  • Adapting driving to get you more mileage is seriously addictive, with the onboard instant mileage calculator .
Here are some more pictures that some of the folks asked for:

The fantastic Music System:
White Skoda Laura vRS - An Owner's Take-music.jpg

Alloy wheels, i like them a lot:
White Skoda Laura vRS - An Owner's Take-rs-alloy-side.jpgWhite Skoda Laura vRS - An Owner's Take-rs-alloy.jpg

I just wish the exhaust was a little louder, Closely following fellow BHPian Robin's thread on Miltek exhaust.
White Skoda Laura vRS - An Owner's Take-rs-exhaust.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
White Skoda Laura vRS - An Owner's Take-rs-rear.jpg  

azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 09:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Azeem on the purchase. The 1.8TSI is a gem as is the 6 speed manual gearbox. Don't worry too much about the Goodyears. I too find them quite good despite having heard so much negative about them. 8kmpl is a little too low. Drive with a lighter foot, though the 1.8 seriously discourages you to do so... lolz, and you can easily squeeze out around 10kmpl in the city.

Enjoy every moment and don't worry, petrol heads ain't dying anytime soon...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 12:17   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz
I just wish the exhaust was a little louder, Closely following fellow BHPian Robin's thread on Miltek exhaust.
Congrats on the awesome car Aseem
I am in Bangalore for a few days, let me know if you want to check out the exhaust note abd suspension in person. Just send across a PM and we can fix a time
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 12:40   #23
Team-BHP Support

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post

I have attached picture (a rather horrible one, apologies) of the MID, the bottom right hand side corner indicates mph. Not sure if there is a way to change the reading to kmph. Also, I don't get km/hr reading as an option on MID. I'll confirm with dealership tomorrow.
Ok so I switched on the speedo at the bottom of the screen which you have. Basically the knob in the dash has to be turned, and with each turn it scrolls through different settings, first is the clock, hours blink first and then with the next turn minutes. Then the odometer at the bottom blinks, and if you press the knob in it switches between speedometer and odometer.

With the speedometer selected it shows speed in mph when moving and the total kms done when standing still. There must be a way to switch this to kms, I will find out.

There is also another digital speedo, in the middle part of the MID where the avg kmpl etc is shown, you have to scroll through to find it. But with this little speedo enabled, the bigger one disappeared. Ever since I switched to this, I scroll through the full MID but don't find my digital speedo. I suggest you switch off this little speedo, because the bigger one shows the speed in kmph.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 13:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Azeem on buying the best available combination of beauty and the beast. Looks great in white. Good to see petrolheads still sticking to their passion. Each and every word of your review screams out the joy you are experiencing with the beast.
I would have to say that your mom is the only person to be thanked for your purchase.
Enjoy the beauty and ride the beast.
Take Care and Drive Safe.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 16:26   #25
BHPian

I think I spotted your car this afternoon in Koramangala around 2.30pm just outside the Samsonite showroom opposite to Maharaja Hotel..

It's VRS logo that attracted my attention, and later thought it could be yours. SO beautiful that I almost spanked it..
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 12:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I
Took the delivery of the car on Friday and in 2 have driven the car for over 350 kilometers all within Bangalore city.
Congrats azeemhafiz, looks amazing! I booked a TSI Ambiente this Saturday and am having second thoughts. We had a discussion till quite late yesterday night about whether we should get a vRS instead.

Cheers,
Animesh
Old 20th August 2012, 13:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
Congrats azeemhafiz, looks amazing! I booked a TSI Ambiente this Saturday and am having second thoughts. We had a discussion till quite late yesterday night about whether we should get a vRS instead.
Thought will PM you but figured that I don't have permissions yet. Can you please post or PM me about the discount you were able to get and the which year's model did you get? With the interactions that I have had with dealerships in Gurgaon and Delhi I just can't bring myself to trust dealerships here.

Thanks.
Old 20th August 2012, 22:34   #28
BHPian

The Drive from Bangalore to Calicut apart from some horrible road stretch and crazy traffic was fantastic. The car is a blast on the highway. Towards the end of the journey, my cheeks were hurting. I had a wide smile pasted on my face through out. Fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Congrats on the awesome car Aseem
I am in Bangalore for a few days, let me know if you want to check out the exhaust note abd suspension in person. Just send across a PM and we can fix a time
Thanks Robin, Unfortunately I am in Calicut till Wednesday evening. I'll PM you anyway, Your machine and the modifications are very inspiring. Looking forward to see the car live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Ok so I switched on the speedo at the bottom of the screen which you have. Basically the knob in the dash has to be turned, and with each turn it scrolls through different settings, first is the clock, hours blink first and then with the next turn minutes. Then the odometer at the bottom blinks, and if you press the knob in it switches between speedometer and odometer.

With the speedometer selected it shows speed in mph when moving and the total kms done when standing still. There must be a way to switch this to kms, I will find out.

There is also another digital speedo, in the middle part of the MID where the avg kmpl etc is shown, you have to scroll through to find it. But with this little speedo enabled, the bigger one disappeared. Ever since I switched to this, I scroll through the full MID but don't find my digital speedo. I suggest you switch off this little speedo, because the bigger one shows the speed in kmph.
Akshay, man you are a genius. You made me look cool at the dealership when i demoed the DRL turn on and now this. Thanks a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
Thought will PM you but figured that I don't have permissions yet. Can you please post or PM me about the discount you were able to get and the which year's model did you get? With the interactions that I have had with dealerships in Gurgaon and Delhi I just can't bring myself to trust dealerships here.

Thanks.
Hi Animesh, I am not able to PM you either. Send me an email. Its basically my team bhp handle followed by @aol.com. We can talk through this, I was at the same dilemma. You should be able to squeeze in a little over 2 lakhs from them, easily. The model year of the car reads 2012, the manufacturing date of mine is November, 2011.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 22:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Animesh, I am not able to PM you either. Send me an email. Its basically my team bhp handle followed by @aol.com. We can talk through this, I was at the same dilemma. You should be able to squeeze in a little over 2 lakhs from them, easily. The model year of the car reads 2012, the manufacturing date of mine is November, 2011.
Thanks! Just sent you an email. The Ambiente that I am getting is from June 2011 so it won't be that bad I guess, only worry is it has been with the dealer since Feb 2012!
Old 21st August 2012, 00:32   #30
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

If you switch on the speed display in the bottom part (mph, secondary display), then your MID will show outside temperature (on the usual digital speed screen). Better to keep digital speed in MID (km/h) and outside temperature at bottom of screen (secondary display).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks