Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2012, 19:48   #16
BHPian

Re: ‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4

Congrats a million sir!!! Had followed your 911 thread and had become your fan! And now this 'vette!!! It makes me drool! What a car! Hats off man!

I simply love your introduction! And the write up keeps getting better and better! Lots been said about your brilliant writing style and I sir have to echo all that! I'm a bigger fan of yours now!!

Congrats on your buy again! And have one hell of a ride! Cheers!
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 00:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
btw, does she have the Z51 suspension ?
Hi Ninad,

I think mine has the FE1 suspension. Not sure yet. I"ll be ordering the RPO shortly for the build certificate from the National Corvette Museum (NCM). That'll tell me all about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
those lt motors love n2o i would do a slp intake and slp exhaust imo it sounds real good on the lt motors. what are your plans for it?
At some stage I'll be upgrading the breathing. I usually take a lot of time before doing stuff to the original car. I don't want to end up with a car whose characteristics change significantly from the car I bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffuser View Post
Sir, that's a beautiful machine you've got there. I wish they still made cars with pop up headlamps , I find them very very cool . Congrats on yet another brilliant purchase . Has your 999 been replaced with anything else ? Could we have a picture with the headlamps up if that isn't a bother. Happy driving .

Regards,
Balaji
Thanks a lot Balaji. No replacement for 999 yet. I kept all my gear but a superbike is useless in Vegas. A cruiser is more suited and I'm not yet a cruiser personality. I wouldn't discount it though. I'll post pics with the headlamps up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Congrats a million sir!!! Had followed your 911 thread and had become your fan! And now this 'vette!!! It makes me drool! What a car! Hats off man!

I simply love your introduction! And the write up keeps getting better and better! Lots been said about your brilliant writing style and I sir have to echo all that! I'm a bigger fan of yours now!!

Congrats on your buy again! And have one hell of a ride! Cheers!
Thanks ThumpingHeart. I'm so happy to see that there are still people who love the iconic modern Corvette which started with the C4. I still think the simplicity of the design is timeless and so far ahead of the competition except, for the Ferraris and Maseratis.

The 1996 model, the final year by which time GM had figured out and ironed out almost all issues with the C4 and the driving feel is just, shall I say, so manly yet smooth, sophisticated, telepathic and engaging. It surprises me everyday with its modernity for a 16 year old car.
Old 17th September 2012, 08:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
It surprises me everyday with its modernity for a 16 year old car.
That is one wet dream if I have seen one. Congratulations. We rarely get to see such V8's in India and this surely looks like a dream even after 16 years.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 21:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
@Harbir,

GXP is a different beast from the base Solstice. I gave up my CTS-V once I drove the GXP, realizing that it can give me all the thrills that I can handle. For once, GM used some real nice components to match that gem of an engine. While MX-5 is more than a match for the base Solstice, GXP is a different beast altogether. I wouldn't even consider the base Solstice.

As for the C4-LT4, I love it, its power and by'96 GM had figured out everything for the C4 and ironed out all its issues. Ultimately, I decided '96 was the only model I would consider and only with the LT-4 engine. This I thought would be the perfect combo for my use and I've been proved absolutely correct. Superb power, beautiful steering response and handling and excellent build quality. I've no intention of ever letting the 'vette on the track.

I understand your enthusiasm. I suspect I was not clear with what I was trying to say. Please don't mind me. I'll try to explain better. Please allow me to start by quoting something from Car and Driver from a few years ago. Their favorite testing area is the hocking hills of south east Ohio (where I have spent much time, and yes, its sports car heaven.) They were comparing the 500+hp C6 Z06 with the Viper SRT10, and the MX-5 with the Solstice. They were separate tests, but they took all four cars along together and offered a perspective between the two types of cars.

(I have edited slightly to give context to the excerpted bit such as changing "Southern Ohio Hocking-heim Ring" to "Hocking Hills."They were making a play on the similarity in the names of the Hocking Hills and the Hockenheim Ring track in europe, but I thought to those who don't catch that, it may seem like they are talking about the cars behaved on a racing circuit called the "Southern Ohio Hocking-heim Ring" rather than the roads of the hocking hills.)

excerpt:

Quote:
it was admittedly peculiar to test the Solstice and Miata in conjunction with the rabid pit bulls of sports cardom, the Corvette Z06 and Dodge Viper SRT10 coupe. At Grattan Raceway Park, where the big dogs could be safely let off their leads, the Corvette was entering the braking zone for Turn One at 145 mph. At the same point, the MX-5 was humming along at 106, the Solstice at 104. [But] the Mazda and the Pontiac demolished the southern-Ohio Hocking Hills as comprehensively as the critics demolished Animal House. Both roadsters encouraged their drivers to experiment with braking points, gears, early apexes, late apexes, induced understeer, lift-throttle oversteer — even as their grinning pilots glimpsed overflying sandhill cranes and overhanging hemlocks. In contrast, the Corvette and the Viper demanded the sort of concentration familiar to rookie neurosurgeons. Both required perfect apexes and moments of braking so brutal as to produce flop sweat. Both obscured vital sightlines.

In the diminutive roadsters, it was easy to establish a gratifying rhythm. Their shifters were quick, their clutches light, their steering racks communicative, their brakes easy to modulate, their throttle tip-in so smooth as to go unnoticed. But in the Corvette and Viper, the rhythm was more of the NHRA Top Fuel variety. Floor the throttle out of a turn and the big dogs exploded ballistically for 100 or so yards, until the next turn loomed ominously and 40 mph had to be scrubbed in about as many feet, followed by a 1.00-g turn at a speed so huge that if an unseen patch of sand or an inattentive canine were unfortunately to occupy your path, the outcome would be remembered not for months but years.

Whenever we parked all four cars at the pumps, onlookers directed 90 percent of their lust and slavering at the Vette and Viper. But in multiple decades of hustling cars through Ohio's Hocking Hills, nothing has been more fun than the MX-5 and Solstice, with the exception of the cars in a comparo we conducted in July 2004. In that test: a faux Cobra, a Caterham Seven, a Honda S2000, a Lotus Elise, and the Mazdaspeed Miata. There's a lesson there.
There is, and this is largely my experience as well. Its why I prefer the solstice (even the base) to corvettes.

You are damned lucky to have both. In my earlier post I was only trying to convey that while I love corvettes and admire their awesome capabilities, between your two cars I would prefer the Solstice, but between the Solstice (GXP or not), I would favor the MX-5 Miata.

I was just sharing my personal preference with a fellow sports car fanatic, so I hope you're not feeling like I was running down either or both of your cars. It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions and preferences. For me the MX-5 is flat out the most fun to drive and satisfying car of all that I have driven, which includes 911s, M3s, C6 corvettes etc. And for me The S2000 and Solstice also rank higher than those titans for the same reason. The Lotus Elise I won't include because thats something else altogether.

and man, I gotta tell ya, get that vette to a race track. It is the most addicting and satisfying thing a car nut can do. On the road, you will not get 10% of experience of the Corvette that you will on the track. My Lotus lived on the race track despite its phenomenal cost and the brutal punishing environment of the track.

Last edited by Harbir : 17th September 2012 at 21:54.
Old 17th September 2012, 22:05   #20
BHPian

@Harbir,

No offence taken man. I know what I like and you like what you like. Corvettes, Vipers are more GT cars rather than pure sports cars and cannot be flung around like the GXP and MX-5. They're two separate classes and cannot be compared.

MX-5 - 167 hp, 147 lb.ft torque
My Solstice GXP - 340 crank bhp/ 340 lb.ft torque (Trifecta Tune)

147 lb-ft of torque, I'll pass. I like muscular cars and that means a lot of torque. HP is important but I like the torque. Heck, my Duc had 150 bhp. I know a lot of people prefer the MX-5, not me. It's way too wimpy for my taste. Sorry.

As for the track, I've had 5 glorious years of track days with my Ducati 999. There isn't a car on the planet that can match the superbike experience on a track. Not corvette, not 911, not lotus. 100 mph on an S Curve with elbows scraping the kerb. Living..

The corvette is my personal car and daily driver and it gives me a whole lotta pleasure but more importantly, I want to keep it reliable and not trash it in a track. For real serious driving, I gotta near race spec '71 911 that barely ways around 2300 lbs. Moreover, the days where I can spend weekends on the track are pretty much gone. An occasional track day will more than suffice.

I've had a good run. Lot of responsibilities at work and spending time with the family takes precedence now.

By the way, I lived in Columbus, OH for 5 years till our move last year to Vegas. So Southeast Ohio including Hocking Hills were my personal hunting grounds for both my Duc and the cars.

Cheers.
VLOCT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 22:11   #21
BHPian

cool. For me 147lb-ft would be a luxury. my 4th MX-5, a '91 had all of 100, and I never craved an ounce more.

By the way, I have a friend who runs a business restoring corvettes. I got to ride in a blue 1967 427 Sting Ray at the Hershey classic car meet back in 2001. Oh my god, that car was a real bitchin' badass! The earth moved when that things engine fired up!

Aesthetically, my favorites are the 1962s. Easily my favorite post WWII american car (they drive like crap though, even for that era)

PS. I regret not ever riding a bike at the track. I used to ride on the street (last two bikes a were Ducati 900SS and a ZX-12R), but a series of events really shook me and I kinda went off speed on two wheels (now I am into the long open road). First a very close friend of mine who is the best driver I have ever encountered (he used to race open wheel cars) crashed while racing on a Suzuki SV650. He was paralyzed below the neck, and it seemed permanent till they managed to locate and remove a sliver of vertebral bone that was pinching his spinal cord. Just seeing what would happen to his wife and kids was a horrible experience. THen a drunk driver hit a motorcycle head on as I stood watching in my yard. I ran over. the rider was a neighbor of mine, a mother of 2 girls, and just looking at her face, I knew she was dead. Just looking into her open eyes was horrible. A few months a later, another friend of mine on a group ride in colorado was killed. She came around a corner and there was cows on the road (Colorado is still an open range state). She crashed and broke her neck and died on the spot. Then another friend got hit from behind by a speeding car while he was waiting at a light. THe driver didn't see the red light. My buddy went flying throught the intersection, with a broken spine, hips, shoulder. A year later a friend in Canada was killed with his wife while out on a ride.

I didn't realize it then, but I kinda went off the whole thing. I know you can't give up what you enjoy just because of the danger, but it was all just too much for me. Then my ZX-12R was totalled in a theft attempt and I just never got another bike. And I never got to the track on 2 wheels.

My loss, but I don't think I would do it now. I'll stick to 4 wheels for speed. 2 wheels work magic for me on the open road.
Attached Thumbnails
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-david_glenda1962corvette.jpg  

Last edited by Harbir : 17th September 2012 at 22:35.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 23:16   #22
BHPian

That 'vette is sweet. The big block chevys were monsters. Too bad the suspension to match them engines did not come of age till the 80s in the US. The Europeans had a leg up on everyone in when it came to handling. Still does. But my taste completely changed when I hit the US. Nowadays I'm over the Germans. Now if only I can get my hands on an Alfa 8C. If I could get one, I may keep it for a long time.

I still have a wish for a Detomaso. All the good one still asks high 40s to 60s. Gotta get me one before it's all said and done. Hope the man upstairs show a little mercy and get me a deal as he got me for this 'vette, some time in the future.
Old 17th September 2012, 23:24   #23
BHPian

Most people think "Pantera" when DeTomaso is mentioned, but the DeTomaso that gives me heartache is the Mangusta
Attached Thumbnails
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-detomasomangusta06.jpg  

Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 23:33   #24
BHPian

Nice car.

Is this a Grandsport repainted over?? Just asking because it has Grand sport markings on the engine.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 23:39   #25
BHPian

That Mangusta is simply gorgeous. Probably commands a six-figure price tag. Pantera would be fine by me, though. Saw a light blue one recently sold in the $60s. I think a good runner still can be got for $40s.
Old 17th September 2012, 23:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Nice car.

Is this a Grandsport repainted over?? Just asking because it has Grand sport markings on the engine.
Thanks Jomz. The LT4 engine was made for the Grand Sport and so all LT4 engines have the Grand Sport logo. The LT4 with its 6 speed tranny (only option available) was however, made available to a around 2000 other corvettes, simply designated as the LT4 also for including The Collectors Edition.

Mine is the LT4 with the original factory paint. I'm still finding things about the car. Will be getting the RPO, the build sheet, from the NCM shortly, as I mentioned before.
Old 17th September 2012, 23:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jomz. The LT4 engine was made for the Grand Sport and so all LT4 engines have the Grand Sport logo. The LT4 with its 6 speed tranny (only option available) was however, made available to a around 2000 other corvettes, simply designated as the LT4 also for including The Collectors Edition.

Mine is the LT4 with the original factory paint. I'm still finding things about the car. Will be getting the RPO, the build sheet, from the NCM shortly, as I mentioned before.
Nice. How did you get 3 month warranty on a private party sale?? Or did you pick it up from a dealer??
Old 18th September 2012, 01:03   #28
BHPian

The car was a consignment from the owner to a dealer. I arranged the 3 month warranty thru the dealer. Small volume dealer, husband and wife team. Really nice people. The guy was Iranian and his wife was half white, half Japanese. I get the strong feeling that I'll be dealing with them again. Established an excellent rapport with the guy. He has promised me that he'll get me any car I want at dealer prices.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
That Mangusta is simply gorgeous. Probably commands a six-figure price tag. Pantera would be fine by me, though. Saw a light blue one recently sold in the $60s. I think a good runner still can be got for $40s.

The original clean Pantera is very pretty. but the later lambo-fied Pantera is quite hideous in my view.
Attached Thumbnails
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-detomasopanterasideview.jpg  

‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-197280_detomaso_pantera_gt4_01.jpg  

Last edited by Harbir : 18th September 2012 at 01:49.
Old 18th September 2012, 01:42   #30
BHPian

Agree. I like the clean ones too. Although, if someone offered me an unbelievable deal on one of the later models, I'm not sure I'll resist. LOLL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks