Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 15:29   #1
BHPian

‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4

WARNING

Reading this may cause an unnatural rush of adrenaline resulting in all kinds of pedals being mashed in vehicles, causing unintended consequences. You’re on your own.

Prelude

Age - the nemesis of all young hearted has the tendency to make believe that the time has come for ‘wisdom’ (overrated) and the time for ‘actions of passion’ (totally underrated) is slowly passing. We, the simple mortals like sheep tend to fall for this soothing thoughts like a soft lullaby. The shrinking chest and the growing gut seems to reinforce these feeling while, your pesky relatives and peers longingly check to see if you show any interest in that NissHonToyMerc minivan. Naahh, they’re as ugly and boring today as they were yesterday and will be tomorrow. I’ve asked my better half to slap me silly if I ever show an interest in one of these betrayals of manhood. I spend my time scheming on ways to delay her seduction by the dark side, the pull of which seems too powerful for the fairer sex.

So, how to combat these tendencies? Trust me when you’re young and invincible these are far away thoughts. My Ducati 999 was my personal answer for the last five years. Our move to Vegas however, relegated the use of the Duc to, shall I say the unthinkable, ‘mundane’ category ‘cause of the absolute lack of any meaningful twisties. So with the heaviest of hearts I let her go and watched as the ecstatic 20 some year old rode away and wished him the very best. Five years ago, heck two years ago, it was unthinkable to me that this day would ever come. So all you young guns watch out, that day will sneak upon you like a banana peel in the night and before you know it, you’ll be flat on your back and wondering ‘what happened’. That day, when you think “let me take the train/plane, it’s so peaceful and I’ll be fresh when I get there”, the slide begins. DON’T DO IT, DRIVE THAT DAMN CAR OR RIDE THAT BIKE DOWN THERE. KEEP THE FIRE GOING.

Prelude to the Ode

I am however, determined to keep fanning the flames as high as possible. The amazing location of Vegas gives us access to some of the most spectacular sceneries in the world within a day’s drive. We immersed ourselves in thoroughly enjoying these places. My Solstice GXP has been a willing partner in this roaring ‘Ménage ŕ trois’ escapades as seen in the pictures below. She worked overtime in trying to make up for the loss of the Duc.

‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_2103-1700x1133.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_2324-1300x867.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_0650-1700x1133-1500x1000-1350x900.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_2965-1250x833.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3022-1400x933.jpg

Life was good, places were spectacular, birds were chirping, eagles were soaring, music was soothing, blah, blah, blah and more blah, and generally everything seemed harmonious. Yet, this blah, blah, blah seemed very unconvincing. A nagging doubt remained whether I’d recovered from the sale of my Duc or, whether I ever will! Strange feelings, since the GXP as a sports car is more than a match for most humans. To fling it around is extremely satisfying and it has the speed to match almost anything except the very top dogs. Yet something, something….

ODE

As I spent my days convincing myself of the rightness of my situation, a fleeting glimpse!! What was that? Was that really her, the old flame from the past? Did she just flash her eyelids at me? How did I forget her? I made my life trying to remember the things I had loved and desired when we’re young and see if there is a way to fulfill them. Hence the 911, Duc etc. etc. But somehow I had forgotten her? How could I forget;

Her long voluptuous body
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3701-1700x1133.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3675-1700x1133.jpg

Her powerful grip
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3694-1700x1133.jpg

Her inviting embrace
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3680-1133x1700.jpg

Is it possible to rekindle that flame again? So started the search for the elusive siren that seemed to be the answer for my doubts.
And then out of the blue, I found her, appropriately enough, in one of the most spectacular cities of the world, San Francisco.

‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3384-1500x1000.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3400-1500x1000.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3406-1000x1500.jpg

I pounced and checked her every square inch. Thoroughly satisfied, I took her home that day, no questions asked. The price for all this excitement, the princely sum of $11,250 with 50k miles on the dock. Absolutely pristine, in and out. This was a steal and one of the best deals I ever wrenched.

Then started her beautiful revelations of personality;

Her pride
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3689-1700x1133.jpg

Her soft yet tight embrace
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3679-1500x1000.jpg

Her stunning profile
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3677-1133x1700.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3735-1133x1700.jpg

And finally, her soul, her core, her being. What made her once a meteor among a lot of shiny stars and what makes her still hold her own against the top contenders. What made her a ‘96 CORVETTE C4 – LT4.

The mighty 5.7L V8 - LT4: easily 350+ hp@5800 rpm, 6300 redline, 350 lb.ft torque @ 1500 - 6000 rpm (aka. The Torque Monster). This engine was only produced in 1996 for a limited number of cars. The base engine was LT1 rated at 300hp@5000 rpm, 5700 redline.
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3667-1500x1000.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3668-1000x1500.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3669-1500x1000.jpg

Her swagger that I can’t resist, even more than the later C5 and C6 models.
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3725-1700x1133.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3726-1700x1133.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3732-1500x1000.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3739-1700x1133.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3748-1700x1133.jpg
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3720-1500x1000.jpg

FINALE

And with Route 1 aka Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) stretching in front for the next 150 miles, she decided to let me in on her personality. Unlike other sports cars that I’ve driven and also unlike the C5 and C6 corvettes, you do not sit in the car. You sink into it like sinking into a beanie bag, and get wrapped by the car. You are not just clicking in the seat belt but strapping on the jet that is the C4 – LT4. And then you see this.

A true jet fighter cockpit. Note the 8000 rpm Tach. It took five years after '96 before Corvette got an engine worthy of such a high tach.
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3697-1500x1000.jpg

You adjust your seat, which is perfect; your legs are almost flat out like an F1 car AND YOU CAN’T STOP GRINNING, EAR TO EAR. The car is a cocoon and it has just made you the last cog of its BEING. The 6-speed (only tranny available with the LT4 option) is your joy stick at the perfect reach. Adjust the mirrors for blind spots, check.

With the trembling expectation you turn on the thunder and soak in the minor vibrations coming thru the floor, yet startled by the smoothness of the GM 5.7L V8. You blip the throttle expecting the thunder of a hemi. Nope, not there. What the?? Mash the throttle – GGGRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG – a sustained mid-range angry scream.

She raises her eyebrow; “OK, OK”. You ease the clutch not really knowing the engagement point and accelerate. The car purrs like a cat and eases into the highway with absolutely no drama. The car is a breeze to drive. The traffic seems to be intense on PCH out of ‘Frisco. The car easily keeps its composure at low speeds of 70 mph and the rpm hovers lazily below the 1000 mark. Changing lanes is telepathic and instantaneous and fun. Middle aged men keep their gaze straight while their wives can’t keep their eyes off it. Everyone is ogling strangely, even guys in $100k Ferraris. C4s are rare now on the streets.

Half an hour out of the city, the lanes open up a little bit. She is showing some urgency now and the tach is at a lofty 1100 rpm. Lunching ahead, she gains on other vehicles like an eagle swooping in on its prey. Anyone that sees her on their mirrors hurries over to the slower lane. One word, RESPECT. One can sense the doubt on the Beemers, should I, should I? She smiles and breezes forward. If the ’71 911 is a hunters axe, the ‘vette is a snipers’ arrow. ZZZAAAAAPPPP.

We stop at Monterey for a short lunch and continue.
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_1744-1500x1000.jpg

We’re now into the real spectacular sections of PCH going south of Monterey. Her true character starts shining through now. No 100 mph runs possible in these winding sections. She’s putting on a clinic on why she’s beaten 911 every year in road test comparos. On why the 2012 Z06 Corvette was declared the best handling car in the world. She is their predecessor and she’s putting on a show. As if traced by a playful superior being, the road winds through the mountainside with cliffs falling to the Pacific Ocean on the right. Up, down, left, right, up again. I leave the car in the 4th. Beautifully cambered 55 and 45 mph curves are straightened out at 70 mph with a contemptible disdainful swat. My wife has now contracted the dreaded white knuckle disease. Drivers ahead involuntarily brakes from sheer intimidation. She’s by them, before they can avoid looking at her. Suddenly the highway throws a series of 35mph and 25 mph corners at her, as if to test her. Downshift to 3rd, tap the brake and she’s through, no drama. Her balance and weight transfer is perfect.

Realizing that the game can go on for a long time, we take breaks for some photo shoots.
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3645-1500x1000.jpg

But I’ve got the bug now and hates wasting any time out of the car. We shoot some sunset pics just before the end of the mountain section.
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3652-1700x1133.jpg

And I’ve still 200+ miles to go before the night stop. With a grin, I mash the pedal.

The mountain section over, the highway has opened up sufficiently to release hers and yours pent up energy for some speed. You step on the throttle and THE AFTERBURNERS KICK-IN. You realize why she wants you as a part of her rather than a driver. 350+ ponies on a car that weighs 3300 lbs, you’re going for a ride, and a wild ride at that. The steering feel is excellent requiring deliberation, the brakes phenomenal, the fat rubber makes a mockery of the road grip, the digital speedo moves in chunks of 5 mph, the car is spitting chunks of the tarmac. The torque seems endless. You hit 120 mph and glance at the tach. Its lazing around 3000 rpm in the 6th gear. Jesus, you haven’t even scratched the surface yet. Vehicles miles ahead scramble out of the way, TOTAL INTIMIDATION. Your driving skill and control seems to be rising at an equally rapid pace. Downshift to 5, mash the pedal, the odo is now moving in chunks of 10 mph all the way to 145 mph before you back off. The car has so much more to give you wonder if this whole exercise is futile. AMAZING, AWESOME, EPIC and you run out of adjectives.

Excited, exhausted and entertained we reach our stop for the night. Sleep can’t come fast enough for the morning to get here even faster.

Finally home. Vegas, the Jewel of the Desert in the distance.
‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4-img_3754-1500x1000.jpg

Last edited by VLOCT : 15th September 2012 at 15:55.
VLOCT is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 15:34   #2
BHPian

re: ‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4

Congratulations, I had read you 999 thread and was waiting for a 1198 or a 1199 thread, but it seems you upgraded to a better class. The Old School muscle cars were much better than their current gen successors.
abhayshanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 16:02   #3
BHPian

Beautiful pictures, an engrossing narrative and an excellent car - one can not hope for more. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by RS_DEL : 15th September 2012 at 16:04.
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 16:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Awesome! The location, the story and your Vette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
The price for all this excitement, the princely sum of $11,250 with 50k miles on the dock.
I can't help but convert to INR and try to pick up my jaw from the floor. Why would anyone buy a brand new car over there?

Have FUN and keep that clock ticking. That car ought to be on road more often.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 17:56   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Oh my God, you got the best looking 'Vette ever. I've spent many of my teenage nights drooling over the C4 ZR1. Not only did you get the last model year of the C4, but also with that amazing engine!

And the price is a steal, the USA used market an enthusiast's dream. Can you please elaborate more on the searching, buying & negotiation experience?

Congrats and drive safe.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 23:35   #6
BHPian

Re: ‘vette Dreamz - My Corvette C4 – LT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh my God, you got the best looking 'Vette ever. I've spent many of my teenage nights drooling over the C4 ZR1. Not only did you get the last model year of the C4, but also with that amazing engine!

And the price is a steal, the USA used market an enthusiast's dream. Can you please elaborate more on the searching, buying & negotiation experience?

Congrats and drive safe.
The 1991-'95 ZR1 has the LT5 engine which is phenominal and rated at 415 hp. These cars still go for mucho bucks. There is one right now for $27k with some 20k miles. Funny because you can get early 20xx Z06 for less.

I used Autotrader like everyone else. But in addition, I went thru Craigslist for all the major cities in the US. I found mine listed in Craigslist for San Francisco and just as they posted. I had shortlisted three from different cities but, eliminated one by one using Carfax, Autocheck and owner/dealer interviews via phone. The history tells me how many miles were put on average every year. I wanted a car that was driven at least occasionally for couple of thousand miles a year. That assures me that owners had to confront any gremlins and that the gaskets were kept from drying out, and the cooling/hydraulic systems are in top shape.

The typical quality LT4s are ranged form $13.5K to $17K depending on the miles. The car was listed unbelievably for $11,900. My target was anything between $10K - $11k which would have been incredible but, I knew the asking price was reasonable. I started cheekily at $9k just to gauge the level of shock. Got it down to $11,250 after a loot of schmoozing which is a great price for the shape of the car. The car has all the records from '96 and is pristine. I also got 3 month powertrain warranty for $250 to ensure that I got home to Vegas, a 500 mile test drive. I'll get some kinda extended warranty, haven't begun the research on that yet.

My intention is to use it at least 3 days of the week. Why save it when I can use it and get another 'vette for around the same price.
VLOCT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 23:54   #7
BHPian

Big congrats on the C4 bud! One heck of a car at an unbelievable price... Though I'm certainly drooling more over that yellow beauty The GXP in yellow is one car on which I have been drooling over since the age of 15, though I had no clue about its engine specs then, I just wanted one for the way it looks! I still want it! Too bad that they aren't made anymore... Maybe someday I'll get to drive it (getting emotional) Thanks for the pics! Wish you tons of happy miles ahead with your new car!
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 00:09   #8
BHPian

The GXP will remain as a weekend a special drives only while the C4 will be driven to work at least 3 times a week. What can be better than commute on a C4? Loving it, so far. These cars need to be loved and driven. Attention hogs, these.
Old 16th September 2012, 00:32   #9
BHPian

Awesome narration. Your car and your scripting, both have a flair

I still cannot believe the deal you got on this one. I see private sale single owner '96 LT4's with twice the mileage as yours, selling north of $18K in my area ! Either you are a ruthless haggler or your seller was naive.

How's the insurance on her?

btw, does she have the Z51 suspension ?

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 16th September 2012 at 00:40.
NinadJoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 00:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
The GXP will remain as a weekend a special drives only while the C4 will be driven to work at least 3 times a week. What can be better than commute on a C4? Loving it, so far. These cars need to be loved and driven. Attention hogs, these.
Hmmm, can't get any better. You have got a heck of a garage now. 2 different cars for different purposes.
Now time for a Humvee for that occasional off-roading? Haha! All the best!

Oh BTW, Great writeup Forgot to mention this in my last post as I was too busy drooling over that yellow beauty lol!

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 16th September 2012 at 00:35.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 02:32   #11
Team-BHP Support

Most of my pre-teen days were spent drooling over the C4 'Vette. There is something about this car that appeals to me like no other American car. I do like the old Viper and even the AC Cobra / Ford GT40 make me go nuda, but let's face it. They aren't blue-blooded American cars. the 'Vette though, had raw aggression. Those pop-up lamps are knee-weakening.

I've had the privilege of being in one in Bangalore. It was (is) a green Convertible with cream interiors and a cream top. I nearly broke down because that was the first time I'd ever come in close contact with a supercar, let alone a 'Vette.

Your 'Vette looks pristine. And the fact that you got it for a little over $11k makes the whole deal that much sweeter. What's the insurance like for one of these?

Congratulations VLOCT. I'm still waiting for the 911 update.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 02:50   #12
BHPian

Insurance - $73 a month. Not too bad. But I'll be selling my Mustang so it'll end up as a net $40 increase per month.

Currently in the planning stages for getting my 911 down here. But I might be making a trip up to the north before winter. So it'll be good to have leave the car there till my trip and then truck it down here. That's what's in the cards right now.
Old 16th September 2012, 09:19   #13
BHPian

Congratulations. Nice car.

I've always been partial to the C4 (pre-facelift though), since I saw a picture of one in 1985 as an 11 year old boy in Chandigarh in a copy of Popular Mechanics. Understand that this was a time when the Maruti 800 was a rare and thrilling exotic! The Corvette's picture was breathtaking, and I would gaze at it transfixed, completely awestruck by its out-of-a-fantasy other-worldliness. I wish I could convey what a hammer blow to the solar plexus that car was to a socialism era future car nut in India. Then some years later, when I started spending my entire month's pocket money on the monthly issue of Car an Driver, came the ZR1 issue, October 1988, A yellow one of the cover with the title "Corvette from Hell". I was smitten. And then I would in C/D about the Lingenfelter ZR1s with their 383 cubic inch engines. man.

I moved to the US in 1994, but I never saw a ZR1 on the road, but I would occasionally see a C4 ZR1 at track days, and it always sent a thrill down my spine to get a glimpse of the glorious old soldiers.

I never fell in love with driving corvettes though. I found them incredibly fast, the noise was incredible, but they lacked the steering feel and communicative handling finesse that had become the thing that I looked for most in a drivers car. That didn't stop me from understanding what fearsome sports cars they were. Corvettes, particularly C5s and C6s are very popular the track, and all the people like me who say about corvettes what I have just said, always have to be humbled and meek as the awesome corvettes match us in the turns, and then rocket out of the turns and down the straights with the ferocity and a dominance that requires us to get out of their way and stay out of their way.

Truly fantastic cars.

The Solstice I was not impressed by, however, even though I would prefer to drive one over a corvette. I had become a die hard sports car/roadster fan by the time they came along, and there was a lot of buzz about Bob Lutz pushing this project through to show that GM could build really incredible exciting cars. And at the autoshows and on the street, it was indeed a stunning looking car. But I was first turned off by the very poor interior design (it looked good but didn't work that great) and interior quality, by the sitting-in-a-bath-tub feeling, by its excessive weight, and then by its failure to produce the very sophisticated thrills and pleasures of the MX-5 Miata.

Thats not to say its a bad car. If I was on a back road, I would take the Solstice over a corvette or a mustang or a camaro or a viper, even though those cars are awesome like the Avengers. but I would not take it over an MX-5.

None the less, the Solstice, particularly the GXP was a rare treat and a flash in the pan as GM fought to save itself from drowning, a historic and lovely car.

I am sure you are having loads and loads of fun!

Last edited by Harbir : 16th September 2012 at 09:33.
Harbir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 12:08   #14
BHPian

@Harbir,

GXP is a different beast from the base Solstice. I gave up my CTS-V once I drove the GXP, realizing that it can give me all the thrills that I can handle. For once, GM used some real nice components to match that gem of an engine. While MX-5 is more than a match for the base Solstice, GXP is a different beast altogether. I wouldn't even consider the base Solstice.

As for the C4-LT4, I love it, its power and by'96 GM had figured out everything for the C4 and ironed out all its issues. Ultimately, I decided '96 was the only model I would consider and only with the LT-4 engine. This I thought would be the perfect combo for my use and I've been proved absolutely correct. Superb power, beautiful steering response and handling and excellent build quality. I've no intention of ever letting the 'vette on the track.
Old 16th September 2012, 12:20   #15
BHPian

Sir, that's a beautiful machine you've got there. I wish they still made cars with pop up headlamps , I find them very very cool . Congrats on yet another brilliant purchase . Has your 999 been replaced with anything else ? Could we have a picture with the headlamps up if that isn't a bother. Happy driving .

Regards,
Balaji
diffuser is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks