Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 13:36   #16
BHPian

Re: SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ

Suhaas, that could be it. More experiences or even a track session to figure this out would be useful.

Not much of a mod person, but I like the enthusiasm some folks have. I like the wheel claddings though, they complete the Duster, but there is only so much one can spend on the car.

Plus I have my eyes on the new Sigma DPM2, it has outrageously good IQ.

I think 110bhp and 250nm torque is about the limit for the 1.5 dCi, the tuning chip will probably be more useful for the 85. BTW Renault is planning to launch 1.6 dCi with 130bhp with better efficiency than the 1.5 dCi in 2013 according to duster forums in Romania.

For ICE I was thinking of the the highly rated Image Dynamics ctx65cs components for the front, not planning anything more, and these can apparent be driven by the HU without an amp required.

But stock is a problem currently, also ID may not fit due to their larger size. May go for Hertz, Morel, illusion or Rainbow. The thing is the Duster doors are wafer thin, and will need a lot of damping for good SQ, and I don't want to get into that and the inevitable expenses good SQ will require.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:00   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Not much of a mod person, but I like the enthusiasm some folks have. I like the wheel claddings though, they complete the Duster, but there is only so much one can spend on the car.
Don't think it would break your bank. If I remember correctly, someone mentioned that the whole wheel-arch/door cladding + bumper-guard costs 30k. The wheel-arch cladding can be acquired for less.

Quote:
I think 110bhp and 250nm torque is about the limit for the 1.5 dCi, the tuning chip will probably be more useful for the 85. BTW Renault is planning to launch 1.6 dCi with 130bhp with better efficiency than the 1.5 dCi in 2013 according to duster forums in Romania.
I believe you can go beyond 110. Racechip does offer specific packages for the 110. For more info, check out this thread and this site as well.

But power isn't everything.

The 110 is known for its poor bottom-end. Perhaps this mod would help negate that effect.

You don't seem too perturbed by the lack of bottom-end either way, but it's worth a look maybe a couple of months down the line.

Quote:
For ICE I was thinking of the the highly rated Image Dynamics ctx65cs components for the front, not planning anything more, and these can apparent be driven by the HU without an amp required.

But stock is a problem currently, also ID may not fit due to their larger size. May go for Hertz, Morel, illusion or Rainbow. The thing is the Duster doors are wafer thin, and will need a lot of damping for good SQ, and I don't want to get into that and the inevitable expenses good SQ will require.
Get in touch with D-BHPian Ampere. He kitted his Duster recently with ICE worth not more than 25k (front components + rear co-ax + door damping) and he's pretty pleased with the end result. When I checked it out a few days back, I was mighty impressed with the sound and definitely worth the 25k, I'd like to believe.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 16:23   #18
BHPian

Hi Raul..

Congrats on the duster. IMO one of the best SUVs available at that price point. I am still awaiting the delivery for mine - booked early july but still chasing the dealership for a confirmed delivery date.

Pls keep the thread updated with your experiences.

Happy Motoring.
Old 25th October 2012, 22:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
Congratulations on your new Duster 110 Raul. Good to see that you've opted for a no-nonsense colour. It suits the car really well.

I haven't driven the Duster long / fast enough to experience this. Although you have explained it well, I'd like to know what you mean by 'push-back'? Do you mean that there is violent return-to-center feel or just kick-back? Does this happen when you drive over undulations too?
Yes Suhaas, the push back or kick back happens more if you drive over undulations on turns. So while driving on ghat section with rough road or little un tarred road, you have to be very careful. The kick back is so hard that it really feels unnerving at first instance. But now I feel like I am driving a rally car. Don't know if there is something wrong with the tyres, suspension setup or steering rack??
isldhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 14:13   #20
BHPian

My handbrake seems to have failed. Had a bit of a scare while filling air in a petrol pump on a down slope, the handbrakes were on but the car started rolling, nearly ran into a Yeti ahead, had to run in and stop the car! Need to get this checked.

Mileage after 650km (360km highways) is now at 12.5. Mostly single driven with AC on throughout. Most of the driving has been in back to back traffic in the Goregaon-Malad area; Link Road, SV Road etc

AC in position 2 in Mumbai is not effective. Cooling is barely felt.

Picked up the Renault mats - 1600, these are decent. Checked a number of options at Milan Subway; a lot of PVC stuff - 1-1.5K, nothing impressive. The 3D Kagu mats for the Duster will be available in a week at 4400.

@Suhaas - I have seen claims of 130bhp with 320nm torque but the few reports I have read say they are exaggerated and simply pushing common rail pressure too high is going to damage an already tweaked to the limit engine. What do you think?

A few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage001.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage0021.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage003.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage004.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage006.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage008.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage009.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage010.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage011.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage012.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage013.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage015.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage016.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage018.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage019.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage020.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage021.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage025.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage028.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-timage029.jpg  

Last edited by raul : 26th October 2012 at 14:20.
raul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 14:52   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Yes Suhaas, the push back or kick back happens more if you drive over undulations on turns. So while driving on ghat section with rough road or little un tarred road, you have to be very careful. The kick back is so hard that it really feels unnerving at first instance. But now I feel like I am driving a rally car. Don't know if there is something wrong with the tyres, suspension setup or steering rack??
Well it's a refreshing change when you see that cars come with lifeless steering-wheels these days. I don't think it's a suspension / steering issue.

Remember, kickback is not the same as forceful return-to-center.

I haven't experienced kickback while driving the Duster but that's because I haven't driven it extensively. Yet.

Quote:
My handbrake seems to have failed. Had a bit of a scare while filling air in a petrol pump on a down slope, the handbrakes were on but the car started rolling, nearly ran into a Yeti ahead, had to run in and stop the car! Need to get this checked.

Quote:
@Suhaas - I have seen claims of 130bhp with 320nm torque but the few reports I have read say they are exaggerated and simply pushing common rail pressure too high is going to damage an already tweaked to the limit engine. What do you think?
I'm not sure if the 1.5 diesel mill is actually being pushed to its limit already. But it would be better to run this by someone who has the experience regarding tuning boxes. As far as I know, it shouldn't cause problems but it would be smart to get that confirmed by someone who knows what he's dealing with. I believe the 1.5 mill is a robust unit but it's always better to get 2nd and 3rd opinions.

P.S. Looks sweeet! Love your choice of piano-black trim. Beats the wood-finish any day!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th October 2012 at 14:53.
Old 26th October 2012, 22:17   #22
BHPian

Congrats Raul! The Duster in Silver sure looks good. Good to know that you finally went in for the Duster - from some of your earlier posts, it appeared that you had changed your mind.

A nice, balanced review of the vehicle.

PS - that Pink ribbon on the bonnet - I hope it has not stained the paint which it would if left on for too long!
Old 27th October 2012, 13:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Hi Raul..

Congrats on the duster. IMO one of the best SUVs available at that price point. I am still awaiting the delivery for mine - booked early july but still chasing the dealership for a confirmed delivery date.

Pls keep the thread updated with your experiences.

Happy Motoring.
Thanks, hope you get yours soon!

Thanks Rigid - the pink ribbons were on only for a couple of hours after delivery. The snaps got mixed up.

One more thing for Duster owners make sure you tell the petrol pump guys not to pull the cap, it's tied to the assembly by a wire and in my case someone must have pulled it inadvertently and it's come out.

One thing I forgot to highlight earlier, there is no specific stalk position for hi-beam, only way to activate or deactivate is pull the stalk, would have preferred a specific position on the stalk.
Old 28th October 2012, 15:07   #24
BHPian

Raul, what was the issue with the handbrake? It would be wise to park the vehicle in first gear during air filling operations.

The Duster looks best in silver, though other colors are not bad looking. Hope to see more reports on your journeys.

Wish you several lakh kms of pleasant driving on the Duster.

Regards

Saji
Old 28th October 2012, 18:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I had the similar issue,its just that the handbrake play is very long and to brake it we need to pull it very high,they fix this in the first service.
Old 28th October 2012, 20:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
I had the similar issue,its just that the handbrake play is very long and to brake it we need to pull it very high,they fix this in the first service.
This is a very simple adjustment, hardly takes 5 mins. If the handbrake casing is removed it has a steel cable. The tech will pull the cable towards himself and adjust the nut that controls the tension.
Old 29th October 2012, 00:18   #27
BHPian

SajiNSalin - Thanks! Don't know about lakhs of kms but definitely intend to do longer distances with this.

The handbrake only works if you consciously pull it to its highest. Like Wersfish and F150 mentioned it probably needs to be tightened.

Just got back from Pune, the odo now reads 1079km. Highway driving is around 700km and the mileage now reads 13.5. I was expecting a higher average since the bulk of driving was on the highway, it was at 15.9 for the first 300km but is now stubbornly stuck at 13-13.5.

Pushed it a bit harder in stretches this time, 3000rpm, that's around 130kph in 6th gear. Did longish bends at around 120. No issues there. It started raining halfway down the ghats in Lonavala so took it slow but did do mediums bends at around 90kph before that. Overall I am not finding the handling a problem at higher speeds.

Power delivery is fluid, no turbo lag. Its eager to go even in 6th. 3rd at around 20-30 is drivable with no lag. One thing I noticed in second the car tends to move ahead without any prompting. It makes driving in tight traffic a bit easier but you need to be careful you don't bump into something.

The wind noise is also not too bad or annoying at 130. The biggest irritant for me so far are external odours which unfailingly creep in.

The hydralic bonnet opener is nice but I was wondering what happens if it gets jammed. There was a bit of resistance shutting it earlier today. Any ideas?

Saw 5 Dusters on the way so I guess Renault is finally getting cars to customers. Pics taken on phone.

Finish is not the best in places
SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-img_1381.jpg

The fuel cap attachement ripped out by an inattentive petrol pump attendant
SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-img_1383.jpg

Don't pressure wash the engine!
SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-img_1399.jpg

Engine sound proofing
SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-img_1397.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-img_1378.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-img_1384.jpg  

SilverDust - Renault Duster 110 RXZ-img_1394.jpg  

Last edited by raul : 29th October 2012 at 00:27.
raul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 16:26   #28
BHPian

1290km update. The mileage is around 12.6. The manual asks to maintain a maximum RPM of 2.5k untill 1500km so the driving has been sedate. Hoping the mileage improves.

No turbo lag, just the slightest hesitation on 2nd gear on first start but even this vanishes after the engine reaches its operating temperature - 4 bars on the temp display.

At around 1130km, the engine became distinctly more smooth. The initial hesitation making way into traffic gaps is not a problem anymore, the car is much more responsive. I am sure after the run-in restrictions it will be excellent for both city and highway use. So for those concerned about lag and city drivability for the 110 I can say do not worry. The 110 is ok for the city.

External odours continue to creep in, I have played around with the re-circulation switch, it needs to be locked on each setting, but not much of a difference.

Will share the feedback with the service folk at 2K. Apparently Dusters abroad come with a cabin filter (missing in the India version) the manual mentions it. Maybe this will help with the odours.

I don't find the AC effective at 2 for Mumbai at all. However in the evenings and at night even 1 cools pretty quickly. Its pretty hot now and hope the SC rethinks and allows CR 70 at least. One thing I noticed is the plastic covering the dials is susceptible to scratches, somehow I have managed to get at least 3 scratches on it. Don't remember touching it.
Old 6th November 2012, 10:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi raul,
Congratulations !
Your silver Duster certainly looks very handsome. Thanks for a great report and detailed snaps. I quite liked the interiors and the engine bay.
Funny, but even on Admiral (my Toyota - Fortuner) I had to get the handbrake tightened well and good in the first service (at 1K KMs) - till then it was like a limp rag with a tendency to allow the vehicle to roll unless jammed at the highest/tightest level. Not sure but possibly that some companies leave the handbrakes in a loose state (for whatever the reason) at the factory post assembly which the dealers are supposed to tighten as a part of the PDI before handing over the vehicle to the owner (which they invariably don't ! Like the checking & adjusting the tyre pressures prior to delivery - factories fill it very high (40-45 psi)).
I am quite eagerly awaiting the 4X4 version of the Duster which should be coming sometime I guess.

Good luck and do keep updating this thread.
Old 11th November 2012, 23:52   #30
BHPian

Thanks Guderian! Good tip! Folks should check handbrake efficacy in their new cars, can prove dangerous if its in a loose state and one is unaware.

The 4x4 Duster will be a cracker. Some of the videos on youtube are extreme. Renault or Nissan should definitely launch it, maybe Nissan will since its their 4X4 system in use in the Duster (used by the Qashqai and X-Trail)

This is how Renaults pricing varies for the different versions; 4x2 85bhp, 4x2 110bhp, 4x4, 85bhp, 4x4 110bhp. Each version is more or less 1500 euros more, and here its 1 lakh more, so we can perhaps assume the 4X4 110 will be a lakh more if launched, around 13 lakhs ex factory.

Just finished another round trip to Pune. Odo now reads 1790Km. Mileage is stubbornly stuck at 12.8 for the last 2 weeks. The bulk of the 1790km is highway so given what other Duster owners are reporting it's a bit low.

Since I have crossed 1500km I could push the car a bit more on this trip. The engine is punchy from 80-140kph so this is a great asset when you want to make quick progress. Acceleration is brisk from around 2200-3500rpm. It does 150 effortlessly (not as effortlessly the XUV BTW) from 150 onwards acceleration is not so brisk.

You have to step down on the accelerator. I did touch 160-170 but it was in very short bursts on straight empty stretches. To touch 180 you will need longer stretches than the expressway offers in typical traffic conditions which is dense. High speed handling is not an issue, the car is planted and stable on both curves and straights. Very little of the expressways undulations faze it. Tyre pressure is important here.

Wind noise was again not an issue. Nor was engine noise, no engine boom or anything, the engine didn't sound or feel stressed. The MRF tyres also did wonderfully, grip was good and tyre noise minimal. The brakes of the Duster stand out, they are better than excellent, extremely crisp and effective.

One odd thing I noticed on this trip was steering push back was surprisingly reduced. It was on strong on my previous trips, this time on long curves, shorter cuves it was nearly absent. Strange.

There are now nearly daily fatalities on the expressway. 90% of the drive I am at 100-120kph. Its purely because the car is new that I pushed it to get a feel for its capabilities for probably 3 min. I have done more than 300 round trips on this road if not more and know every single km like the back of my hand, typical issues with abrupt lane closures, insane unexpected occurrences like speeding cars and buses on the other side of the road etc, and other odd users and road behavior. I will not advocate high speed driving on the expressway now at any time due to overcrowded and deteriorating road conditions.

A couple of more observations, the Duster is effortless to drive in the city, you don't feel its size or weight like you do with the XUV for instance. The turning radius is among the lowest I have seen, so the car is very maneuverable.

Last edited by raul : 12th November 2012 at 00:16.
raul is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks